+ Add a Comment

christmaspie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christmaspie

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.110s

Last wooter to woot: christmaspie

In for my second wine.woot and this one has me excited. Now if only I would have closed the deal on that varietal chart in time...

Oh, hey. All I ever wanted was marshmallows on my sweet potatoes...

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
MarkDaSpark wrote:They were sold out of the PS when we got there for the RPM tour. And yes, I picked up some Noir de Noirs, and both ports (White and NV).

The PS was never for sale, nor ever bottled as a varietal.... despite my constant begging/threatening/cajoling/bribery.

The blending sample was utterly sublime. . This is why I am Darth PSidious.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

btuck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btuck

My name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father..prepare to die!

Falcon4

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Falcon4

After seeing the new sidebar design on Woot, I was curious why wine.woot was even left there. I figured by now, there was absolutely nobody that even visited wine.woot, since it's so... completely... irrelevant... to the other Woot sites...

And yet I stand here at comment 360-something. What, the, heck.

You have me in shock and awe, Woot. Where do you find these people?

summary:
Between 2007 and 2010: lots of woots.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
Falcon4 wrote:After seeing the new sidebar design on Woot, I was curious why wine.woot was even left there. I figured by now, there was absolutely nobody that even visited wine.woot, since it's so... completely... irrelevant... to the other Woot sites...

the opposite crowd of people who buy $5 trinkets.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
Falcon4 wrote:After seeing the new sidebar design on Woot, I was curious why wine.woot was even left there. I figured by now, there was absolutely nobody that even visited wine.woot, since it's so... completely... irrelevant... to the other Woot sites...

Wow. Really? Spoken like someone who has never even bothered to look at what goes on over here. Thank you for the reminder of why I stopped posting on woot and came over to wine.woot and have never looked back.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
JOATMON wrote:Wanted: SM looking for SF to help consume vast amounts of fine wines. Must have decanter...

So are you placing an ad for your sister? Cuz I'd have sworn YOU were the SM -- maybe it was the beard that threw me.

CT | | | | | |

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Princessjolie wrote:The mystery bottle compels. MUST.NOT.PRESS.BIG.BUTTON.

Damn you woot!

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.110s

Last wooter to woot: Princessjolie

You won't regret it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
WonderWooter wrote:

I suppose it just an impression that reds pair up so much better with meat?

It really is just a stereotype. I'm almost in the same culinary boat as PW and I have no problem finding an appropriate vegetarian dish to pair with my red wine.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:So, even though bahwm went in for 3, on her first venture into wootdom, I should still pick up at least one more to meet our quota?

Good thinking. Go for it!!

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
kylemittskus wrote:I see how it is: giving the vegetarians special treatment. I'm an apostate vegetarian. What special treatments do I get?! Huh? Huh?

Ever since receiving the Chase PS FREE, you get no further special treatments. You've had your day, sit down

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 6 Private Messages LoonBoarder
brockb wrote:I know I could gift myself... but I'll take that as a sign that I should hold out for Thursday before dropping more dough. =)

OK, weird. your question to me (whether I got my request in on time) doesn't show up in the quote block. Anyhoo, I haven't gotten a 'no' from service... so I've still got my fingers crossed. Kinda tough to type that way, but....

Dude... wait, what?

cheron98

JOATMON wrote:Wanted: SM looking for SF to help consume vast amounts of fine wines. Must have decanter...

Ooh, ooh, I'm single! And I have a decanter (2 actually) And I'd be perfectly happy to help you consume vast amounts of fine wines. Provided you help me consume the vast amounts of MY wines as well

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

***Momentary Thread Hijack***
Chicago Wine.Woot Tasting #4 is THIS Saturday. Anyone in the area that is on the fence or hasn't checked the thread in a while or has yet to confirm attendance please do so ASAP. If you are coming and have your "Pricey Wine" picked out please post what you are bringing as well so we don't have any doubles. Time has not been set so please chime in on that as well. I think 6:00pm has been the only suggestion so far. I am pretty flexible so its up to all of you. Please direct any questions or suggestions to the CWWT#4 thread.
***Momentary Thread Hijack Over***

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000

thanks for the food pairing tips SB!

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

Cycles Gladiator Merlot...
I poured a bottle of that down the sink a couple
of weeks ago! Now, their cab. sauv. ain't bad
if I can get it for $6.

Svullie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Svullie

I read in the description that the 2004 Zinfandel is "Dry, fruity, and blanaced" PAAAaaaAAaaaanCAAAAAKES! is blanaced? Another fancy schmancy win snobbery term that's supposed to make us all feel just that much more inferior? Or is it a sinister plot of... huh? Excuse me. Oh. It's a typo. Ah. Nevermind.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
SonomaBouliste wrote:I'm not familiar with the apostate sect

That's the scientific finding that those that lead a vegetarian lifestyle have healthier prostates than those who consume primarily red meats.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
bhodilee wrote:That's the scientific finding that those that lead a vegetarian lifestyle have healthier prostates than those who consume primarily red meats.

Hey, bowtie, the Olympian to cheer for is Elaine Breeden. She is swimming the semifinal 200m Butterfly tonight.

USA! USA! USA!

Now back to your Wellington thread.

mshilko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mshilko

I am very surprised that this sucker isn't bouncing already, given that it is a Wellington offer and that it has the mystery wine with it. I jumped in pretty quick thinking this would sell out fast. I visited Wellington aparently 1 day after the RPM tour went through, unaware at the time. You guys tired them out pretty good!! I wish I would have know about the tour before my trip to Cali, but was out of the loop on this I guess.

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
mshilko wrote:I am very surprised that this sucker isn't bouncing already, given that it is a Wellington offer and that it has the mystery wine with it. I jumped in pretty quick thinking this would sell out fast. I visited Wellington aparently 1 day after the RPM tour went through, unaware at the time. You guys tired them out pretty good!! I wish I would have know about the tour before my trip to Cali, but was out of the loop on this I guess.

Alright. Watch this.
I am going to make the button bounce.
Just like when Babe Ruth took his bat and pointed out to center field at Wrigley and predicted his home run, I am predicting a button bouncing inducing order.
Here goes............

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
smlauren wrote:Alright. Watch this.
I am going to make the button bounce.
Just like when Babe Ruth took his bat and pointed out to center field at Wrigley and predicted his home run, I am predicting a button bouncing inducing order.
Here goes............

Well, I guess I'm no Babe Ruth.
But, I now have a case of Wellington and the Babe doesn't.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
rpm wrote:I missed being able to labrat this... stuck all day in meetings in Manhattan... but, it would be impossible for anyone who was on the tour not to go for at least 2 sets.

Does this apply to those who bought a case on the tour? And already have a case at the house?

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

WineFarm (or WD),

Are you going to post the list of who this week's labrats are in the labrat thread?

And you have a PM too.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
clayfu wrote:the opposite crowd of people who buy $5 trinkets.

My Thermo Hawk infrafred thermometer begs to differ. (actually, that's all it can do, since it's f-ing useless at reading temperatures)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
bhodilee wrote:Get a sugar daddy, you'll cry if you miss this when we all talk about how great it is. Like they do with the Cuvee R I was too cheap to buy :sad:

Man that Cuvee R was bomb! Glad I still have a couple left!

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
LBISurfer2 wrote:Thanks a lot, so far it's the best job I've ever had, I get free housing and a truck to drive on the company and I get paid to hike 8 miles through the desert/mountains every day, 10 days on and 4 days off. You know what would make it even better though? Some Wellingtons.

sounds cool dude, but sorry man, that does not beat living in San Diego! Can I dare say it is already ramping up to be a gorgeous day here in La Jolla? I think I might eat my lunch outside! =)

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

**** Temporarily High-jacking Thread ****

Hey, all you wino's from OHIO!

It appears there are more Ohioans than ever on wine.woot, so we thought we would join the ranks and organize the FIRST EVER OHIO WOOT WINE TASTING! (OWWT#1)

Uhmmm ... We tried once before, but plans fell through.

Check out the thread and let's show the rest that we are just as crazy about wine as they are. We are Buckeyes (which makes us kind of like nuts) and we know how to p-a-r-t-y!

**** End of high-jack ****

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
andyduncan wrote:My Thermo Hawk infrafred thermometer begs to differ. (actually, that's all it can do, since it's f-ing useless at reading temperatures)

LLo (literally, although only my computer was here to hear it) Thanks Andy!

bhodilee

tkastorff wrote:Man that Cuvee R was bomb! Glad I still have a couple left!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

Wellington Merlot (Sonoma Valley) Vertical Tasting Notes - 2002, 2003 (Estate), 2004 (Estate)

All bottles open for 1 hour at room temperature.

2002 -

Tartrate crystals on the cork.

Ruby to garnet with light but pleasant oaky smoke in the nose. Plum and fresh cut grass bouquet.

We noted moderate flavour intensity in an elegant style. Red cherry, raspberry, plum, and less so tobacco and spice. Slightly off-dry with low acidity. Medium complexity that is perfectly balanced. The finish is quick but solid with mild acids showing through.

We felt this wine would be paired well with an unimposing dish, perhaps seared beef tenderloin on a crostini. As a vegetarian option, we'd serve SB this with a goat-cheese stuffed and grilled portabello.

2003 -

Nothing notable about the cork.

A ruby wine with pleasant aromas of earth, oaky smoke, and well balanced spice. We got tons of Marachino Cherry in the bouquet, which was one of those "ah-ha" moments where we were surprised but certain.

In an elegant style, the bountiful flavours showed red cherries, raisin, oak, and slight coffee and tobacco over terroir. We noted round, subtle tannins. A medium dry/sweet, we found middle of the road acids with a perfect complex balance. The finish lingered well.

The recommended food for this wine was agreed to be sharp cheeses. Perfect as a starter for your meat dishes.

2004 -

There are heavy lees on the cork and in the neck.

A ruby wine with some interesting aromas - alcohol, smoke, earth, currant, mild anise, and asparagus. These changed over the course of the tasting, but were notable upon initial sampling.

Flavours start unoffensive and silky. Elegant wine that stains the glass a little more than what I'd expect from a Merlot. Dark fruit all over this one - blackberry, Cassis, blueberry, and plum, with oaky cedar complimented by a hint of chocolate tobacco. Very mild candied licorice in there as well. The initial reaction to the first taste was noted - "Lovely."

It's off-dry with firm medium acidity. Complex and medium bodied that integrated well with mild tannins to bring the balance around. A solid finish to this wine.

Noted that we felt this wine NEEDED food. Not a real stand alone drinker for us. Almost as if the wine WANTS to be there, but needs another year of rest to truly shine.

Food pairing was agreed as moderately spicy foods. Grills. Pizza.

I'm tempted not to post my scoring, since that's pretty subjective and, frankly, one of these wines ... ah screw it...

We gave the 2002 - 83 points.
2003 - 96 points.
2004 - 88 points.

No typo there. The 2003 was drinking perfectly. I'd be extremely disappointed if the 2004 wouldn't mature into this level for me. Don't ask how I score - I have a system and it's totally flawed. But it's mine..

Good juice SB - Thanks for reading.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

My order was successfully increased to 2!!! How am I going to pay for this??? I took a week and a half off work! And Thursday is still coming! Ah!!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
MaskedMarvel wrote:(snip)

We gave the 2002 - 83 points.
2003 - 96 points.
2004 - 88 points.

No typo there. The 2003 was drinking perfectly. I'd be extremely disappointed if the 2004 wouldn't mature into this level for me. Don't ask how I score - I have a system and it's totally flawed. But it's mine..

Good juice SB - Thanks for reading.

Awesome side by side comparison MM. Just to expand on the '02 a bit, did you feel that this one was more like the other wines and had just gone past its sweet spot or was it just different all together?

SB, any comments on the differences during the growing seasons for each year?

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
cheron98 wrote:Ooh, ooh, I'm single! And I have a decanter (2 actually) And I'd be perfectly happy to help you consume vast amounts of fine wines. Provided you help me consume the vast amounts of MY wines as well

I sense a "Leaving Las Vegas" possibility here.

Do I move there, or do you move here?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

cheron98

JOATMON wrote:I sense a "Leaving Las Vegas" possibility here.

Do I move there, or do you move here?

Hmm... where's "here"? I have a house that won't sell in this market...

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
cheron98 wrote:Hmm... where's "here"? I have a house that won't sell in this market...

Though I have not seen JOATMON's actual quarters (and I have seen yours - nice lake), his environs and proximity to Napa-Sonoma are a plus

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 6 Private Messages LoonBoarder
kylemittskus wrote:My order was successfully increased to 2!!! How am I going to pay for this??? I took a week and a half off work! And Thursday is still coming! Ah!!!!

I got my 2 too!

Dude... wait, what?

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
cheron98 wrote:Hmm... where's "here"? I have a house that won't sell in this market...

Heh, I don't even know where "there" is.

"Here" is SF Bay Area. Dangerously close to the wine country. Wine countries.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bhodilee

JOATMON wrote:Heh, I don't even know where "there" is.

"Here" is SF Bay Area. Dangerously close to the wine country. Wine countries.

You win, she's in the Detroit area.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
LoonBoarder wrote:I got my 2 too!

Are you as impecunious as I am because man... I need to stop sometime.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen