themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
dayoff53 wrote:Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa!
I neglected to read the part about waiting until 8/29 and filling out the entry form.

DayOff53


your most traditional of penances suggests to me that this should be added as a temporary proviso to The Ten Commandments of Wine.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

Orange dot.

Green dot.

Red dot.

All standard Bordeaux bottles ...

CT | | | | | |

aces219


quality posts: 3 Private Messages aces219

Red dot bordeaux bottle.

We will probably taste this weekend but will save the notes for after the 29th! Though I will be traveling for the 2 weeks after that, so I should probably fill out the form that day.

dayoff53


quality posts: 6 Private Messages dayoff53
themostrighteous wrote:your most traditional of penances suggests to me that this should be added as a temporary proviso to The Ten Commandments of Wine.



Thou shalt not publicly discuss thy early guesses? For my own sake, I hope violation of that one is not a MORTAL sin...

DayOff53

DayOff53
my cellar

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
dayoff53 wrote:Thou shalt not publicly discuss thy early guesses? For my own sake, I hope violation of that one is not a MORTAL sin...

DayOff53



well, it IS one way to prove you guessed it right before it was revealed

CT | | | | | |

thrawn1020


quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

Just received my bottles(2), and both were in the same size as the ones the Cab, Merlot, and Zin came in. I have a red and an orange dot. Will taste one of them within a few days, and report back.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

smlauren


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren

Red
Green
Orange

All bordeaux bottles

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

bkarney


quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

Orange dot in a standard Cab bottle. Will probably crack it open tonight.

CT

andyduncan


quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Three friends came over last night and we drank our Orange and Red dotted bottles with some nice Ribeyes and Strip steaks (My costco has started carrying "prime" grade steaks for $9.99-$11.99/lb which is crazy cheap for prime beef, check it out).

We did the tasting blind and silent, came up with our guesses and then shared them, we all guessed the same varietal for each. Can't wait to see if we were right or just all shared the same delusion.

Sorry SB, I don't think I'm going to be able to pick out the vineyards without checking your site :-)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

MaskedMarvel


quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

MaskedMarvel

Green Dot
Red Dot
Orange Dot

All in "The Duke." Waiting on three more to be delivered. Looking forward to it!

tkastorff


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

is it possible to get a list of the potential wines we are drinking?

drank my pink dot and we have no idea what it is, interesting taste
although did taste better the second night, stored in the fridge, in an airtight V1 decanter

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

andyduncan


quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
tkastorff wrote:is it possible to get a list of the potential wines we are drinking?

drank my pink dot and we have no idea what it is, interesting taste
although did taste better the second night, stored in the fridge, in an airtight V1 decanter



You could get one of these :-)

In all seriousness though, it's one of the red varietals that Wellington makes:

JOATMON wrote:Wellington Wines web site currently list the following varietals as being available: Alicante Bouche, Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Syrah, and Zinfandel.

For people on the tour, or others: did Peter have any other red varietals at the tasting room that are not on the above list? What was available in his library wine section?



I'm putting WD's kids through college.

oppsie


quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

Green, red, and orange dot. All bordeaux.

tripgrad


quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

Today in NoVA, received 2 bottles of "The Duke" Green dot (Sonoma Valley, Red Table Wine, ABV 13.9%) & Red dot (Sonoma Valley Red Wine, ABV 14.8%)

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

andyduncan


quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
tripgrad wrote:Today in NoVA, received 2 bottles of "The Duke" Green dot (Sonoma Valley, Red Table Wine, ABV 13.9%) & Red dot (Sonoma Valley Red Wine, ABV 14.8%)



I wouldn't read anything into the label differences. I'm guessing SB just slapped on some leftover labels from various Duke bottlings over the years. My red dotted bottle read 14.2%.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

Wigdog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wigdog
andyduncan wrote:I wouldn't read anything into the label differences. I'm guessing SB just slapped on some leftover labels from various Duke bottlings over the years. My red dotted bottle read 14.2%.



Green Dot, Bordeaux bottle, Red Table Wine, Wellington T. Mara

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
Basil Fawlty

150 offerings, 317 woots, 1081 Bottles. Yikes!

CellarTracker!

damightyanteater


quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

Got an Orange dot - standard bottle. 14.8% listed on the bottle, but I don't think that has any baring.

    My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

jenludwig


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenludwig

Wine came yesterday, I got a red and an orange dot I can't wait to play!

smlauren


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren

I know what the red dot is.........
I know what the red dot is.........
I know what the red dot is.........
I know what the red dot is.........
I know what the red dot is.........

When and where is the appropriate place to reveal my guess?
I'm sure it says somewhere in this thread but you know me, too lazy to look for it.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
smlauren wrote:I know what the red dot is.........
I know what the red dot is.........
I know what the red dot is.........
I know what the red dot is.........
I know what the red dot is.........

When and where is the appropriate place to reveal my guess?
I'm sure it says somewhere in this thread but you know me, too lazy to look for it.



From the first post of this thread on page 1
"On August 29th, we’ll make the entry form for this contest available. It's a Friday, so you've got an excuse to invite your friends over for a tasting party. At that time, you’ll need to enter your Woot username, the color of the little dot on the mystery bottle, and your guess as to what varietal it is. (We’ll announce the opening of the entry form in a blog post here on Wine.Woot, so keep your eyes on the blog on the 29th.)"

My bottles sat in a hot truck all day and will sit in the warehouse all weekend

----------

smlauren


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
Imagine4vr wrote:From the first post of this thread on page 1
"On August 29th, we’ll make the entry form for this contest available. It's a Friday, so you've got an excuse to invite your friends over for a tasting party. At that time, you’ll need to enter your Woot username, the color of the little dot on the mystery bottle, and your guess as to what varietal it is. (We’ll announce the opening of the entry form in a blog post here on Wine.Woot, so keep your eyes on the blog on the 29th.)"

My bottles sat in a hot truck all day and will sit in the warehouse all weekend


Thanks Imagine!
Sorry to hear about your bottles.
I gifted the UPS DUDE, (Take note JWhite), a bottle of the Zin. He was soaking wet after a torrential Fay downpour here this afternoon and he looked bummed. His spirits rose when he got the Zin.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
andyduncan wrote:I wouldn't read anything into the label differences. I'm guessing SB just slapped on some leftover labels from various Duke bottlings over the years. My red dotted bottle read 14.2%.



Yeah...My red-dot bottle says 14.8%...

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

"standard bottle" "Bordeaux bottle" "high shoulder bottle" “cabernet bottle” “zinfandel bottle” “syrah bottle” “streamline shape” “tulip shape bottle”

How many frickin' ways can you'all describe a bottle shape?

I think that "standard bottle" "Bordeaux bottle" "high shoulder bottle" “cabernet bottle” “zinfandel bottle” “streamline shape” all describe the same shape, although I'm a bit puzzled by "streamlined"

And I think that “syrah bottle” “tulip shape bottle” both describe the same bottle shape.

But I could be wrong.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Green, orange, and red seem to be the most common colors reported so far, and they seem to be on "Bordeaux" bottles (grumble, moan).

Pink and Blue seem to be much less commonly reported, and both have been on "Syrah" bottles.

If that info is useful to anybody.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
JOATMON wrote:Green, orange, and red seem to be the most common colors reported so far, and they seem to be on "Bordeaux" bottles (grumble, moan).

Pink and Blue seem to be much less commonly reported, and both have been on "Syrah" bottles.

If that info is useful to anybody.



Does anybody remember what shaped bottle the noir de noir comes in?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MaskedMarvel


quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
JOATMON wrote:"standard bottle" "Bordeaux bottle" "high shoulder bottle" “cabernet bottle” “zinfandel bottle” “syrah bottle” “streamline shape” “tulip shape bottle”

How many frickin' ways can you'all describe a bottle shape?

I think that "standard bottle" "Bordeaux bottle" "high shoulder bottle" “cabernet bottle” “zinfandel bottle” “streamline shape” all describe the same shape, although I'm a bit puzzled by "streamlined"

And I think that “syrah bottle” “tulip shape bottle” both describe the same bottle shape.

But I could be wrong.



A decent page on wine bottles and their differences...

thrawn1020


quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
JOATMON wrote:Does anybody remember what shaped bottle the noir de noir comes in?



I don't think I'd read too much into which bottle came in what kind of glass. I think this one was planned a long, long, time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. Like California. In the present day.

All joking aside, there are reports of different shaped bottles that have the same color on the bottle, and there are reports of different alcohol percentages for the same color dots too. So I would guess that as long as the label is "techinically" accurate(meaning +-1% I believe in this case), then using 14.2% vs. 14.8 offers a constraint window. No guesses here, since I have yet to open one of my bottles, and don't want to ruin the experience. But from what I've heard last week, I think you'll recognize the Noir de Noirs for its big tannins and inky blackness. Sounds a lot like a different-tasting Petit Sirah. As for the others, well, let your palate guide you, informed by your opinions on Peter's wines. It will be quite a challenge for me, as I've only had one of his, the Cuvee R, and I probably have never tried all the varietals that he bottles in a given year, whether from a cheap producer or not.

Thanks for the link MM. It was a fun read, and awesome to see a picture of the champagne bottles with the descriptions laid out below. They're huge!

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
JOATMON wrote:Green, orange, and red seem to be the most common colors reported so far, and they seem to be on "Bordeaux" bottles (grumble, moan).

Pink and Blue seem to be much less commonly reported, and both have been on "Syrah" bottles.

If that info is useful to anybody.



but it's a TASTING test, not a mental puzzle ... don't read too far into anything or you spoil it. (figuratively, the wine oughta still be good)

CT | | | | | |

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
jwhite6114 wrote:but it's a TASTING test, not a mental puzzle ... don't read too far into anything or you spoil it. (figuratively, the wine oughta still be good)



Somebody asked for the info, I collected the info, I reported the info. Don't shoot the messenger.

And, you can play the game the way you want to, and I can play the game the way I want to. Dude.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
thrawn1020 wrote:All joking aside, there are reports of different shaped bottles that have the same color on the bottle.



Really? Where? I have not seen any.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MaskedMarvel


quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
JOATMON wrote:Somebody asked for the info, I collected the info, I reported the info. Don't shoot the messenger.

And, you can play the game the way you want to, and I can play the game the way I want to. Dude.



And I appreciate the info - all is interesting in the game. I suspect that the bottle differences are actually due to people using the wrong lingo. I'll be able to tell more when my gifted order becomes "unlost."

thrawn1020


quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
JOATMON wrote:Really? Where? I have not seen any.



After rereading the thread, I believe you are right, and I stand corrected.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

thrawn1020


quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

Opened a bottle of the Orange "Duke" today for dinner, here's my early thoughts, with a link so you don't have to read it.

Wellington Vineyards "The Duke" Orange Dot.

It's in .txt format, so you might want to save as and read it in notepad.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 231 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
JOATMON wrote:Does anybody remember what shaped bottle the noir de noir comes in?



Do you mean what shape it "normally" comes in? That would be burgundy.

crzycajn70


quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70
MaskedMarvel wrote:A decent page on wine bottles and their differences...



That site is a great resource for more than just the bottles. Thanks for the link!!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

conroo


quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

[quote postid="2522548" user="JOATMON"]"standard bottle" "Bordeaux bottle" "high shoulder bottle" “cabernet bottle” “zinfandel bottle” “syrah bottle” “streamline shape” “tulip shape bottle”

How many frickin' ways can you'all describe a bottle shape?

My first post on wine.woot was about bottle shapes, and Corrado mentioned something about "wine 101."

Anyway, I have a green dot in a high-shouldered bordeaux-style bottle.

Boy have I grown by reading the commentary on this Website.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Pink dot. Burgundy bottle per MaskedMarvel's link.

conroo


quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo
conroo wrote:[quote postid="2522548" user="JOATMON"]"standard bottle" "Bordeaux bottle" "high shoulder bottle" “cabernet bottle” “zinfandel bottle” “syrah bottle” “streamline shape” “tulip shape bottle”

How many frickin' ways can you'all describe a bottle shape?



My first post on wine.woot was about bottle shapes, and Corrado mentioned something about "wine 101."

Anyway, I have a green dot in a high-shouldered bordeaux-style bottle.

Boy have I grown by reading the commentary on this Website.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

alexandra29


quality posts: 1 Private Messages alexandra29
jwhite6114 wrote:Orange dot.

Green dot.

Red dot.

All standard Bordeaux bottles ...



Same here; can't wait to see if we guessed correctly!

timbyrd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd

Orange, pink and blue here.

If anyone in So Cal is reading this, the mystery tasting will begin at 2pm today at my house. (right after I get back from brunch with some absinthe enthusiasts)

[edit - happening now]

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar