ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
MarkDaSpark wrote:WD,

Any hints on the new offering tonight?

You can bet he didn't tell me!!!!! I think I'm out of the Probation closet but he's still not sharing!

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo
docpw wrote:
Tasting: medium body, bright acidity ...

Ok, showing my ignorance: I see "bright acidity" mentioned sporadically in non-red reviews. Can anyone add more newbie-friendly type words to describe this quality, or is it one of those nebulous things that really has to be taste-demo'd before a person can grasp it?

Thanks.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
tomatillo wrote:Ok, showing my ignorance: I see "bright acidity" mentioned sporadically in non-red reviews. Can anyone add more newbie-friendly type words to describe this quality, or is it one of those nebulous things that really has to be taste-demo'd before a person can grasp it?

Thanks.

Tart, zingy, crisp, fresh, slightly "sour", mouth-watering, ...think other acidic foods/ beverages like lemon and other citrus.

edit: what? I just made two posts and my count went from 988 to 989. Methinks there is some mysterious unknown conspiracy afoot to keep me from reaching 1000 posts.

another: okay, it went to 990; is there a person updating these things (Corrado?). I thought computers were virtually instantaneous in their capabilities.

tomatillo

SonomaBouliste wrote:Tart, zingy, crisp, fresh, slightly "sour", mouth-watering, ...think other acidic foods/ beverages like lemon and other citrus.

edit: what? I just made two posts and my count went from 988 to 989. Methinks there is some mysterious unknown conspiracy afoot to keep me from reaching 1000 posts.

another: okay, it went to 990; is there a person updating these things (Corrado?). I thought computers were virtually instantaneous in their capabilities.

Thanks, SB.
By the way, opened one of your 03 Zins last week and all of us (2 couples) were blown away.

Keep up the great work!

Now, I've got to hoard the rest and hide them from my wife.

tomatillo

cjsiege wrote:Computers involved - yes. Instantaneous - not so much. I think they are using an old TRS-80 or Timex Sinclair as their counter.

I have it on sound advice that they're using a TI99/4a, now they've gotten rid of the punch cards.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
SonomaBouliste wrote:edit: what? I just made two posts and my count went from 988 to 989. Methinks there is some mysterious unknown conspiracy afoot to keep me from reaching 1000 posts.

Computers involved - yes. Instantaneous - not so much. I think they are using an old TRS-80 or Timex Sinclair as their counter.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
SonomaBouliste wrote:. Too bad I'm not at post # 1000 yet, because maybe then he'd let me give a clue.

This sounds like a Wellington offering coming up. Or does WD let you in on other things, too?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
tomatillo wrote:Thanks, SB.
By the way, opened one of your 03 Zins last week and all of us (2 couples) were blown away.

Keep up the great work!

Now, I've got to hoard the rest and hide them from my wife.

What 03 Zin? I'm knew in this group and love Zins!!

ddeuddeg

tomatillo wrote:Thanks, SB.

You should have had the '94. It was almost 3 weeks ago, and some of us are still recovering.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
MaxAlex wrote:What 03 Zin? I'm knew in this group and love Zins!!

That would be a Wellington Zin.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
MaxAlex wrote:What 03 Zin? I'm knew in this group and love Zins!!

if you like Zins, you missed out. Two weeks ago: Chase Cellars '04 and '05 zin. I can't do links but someone else can link you. It was amazing!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ruderner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruderner

looks like a wonderful wine!

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
kylemittskus wrote:if you like Zins, you missed out. Two weeks ago: Chase Cellars '04 and '05 zin. I can't do links but someone else can link you. It was amazing!!!

I joined the week later. I wish I had been part of WW at that time. I have the reserve Chase and am waiting to open with the right meal. My wife is a gourmet cook. Anyone out there that could link me up on that deal?

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
ddeuddeg wrote:This sounds like a Wellington offering coming up. Or does WD let you in on other things, too?

Well based on slightly mathematical analysis of past offers, we are six to eight weeks overdue on another Wellington offer, so ... bring it on!

As for varietals, we are also quite overdue for another Pinot Noir, but if it IS a Wellington offer, it won't be a Pinot. Zin is the next most overdue varietal, and that would certainly fit the Wellington menu. (Sangiovese, Sake, and Sparkling White are the next three overdue varietals).

Not that any of this means anything, but lacking clues from WD, it's the best I got.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

SonomaBouliste wrote:Tart, zingy, crisp, fresh, slightly "sour", mouth-watering, ...think other acidic foods/ beverages like lemon and other citrus.

Server farms -- a bunch of computers all acting like one. But the way they all know the same things is they have to tell each other (since they don't exactly share one brain even though they act with one face). It can sometimes take a few minutes for each of them to catch up with what the others know. Sometimes you'll even see your post count go up, then down, then back up.

CT | | | | | |

ddeuddeg

MaxAlex wrote:I joined the week later. I wish I had been part of WW at that time. I have the reserve Chase and am waiting to open with the right meal. My wife is a gourmet cook. Anyone out there that could link me up on that deal?

You don't even need a link for that. Just go to the top of the main wine.woot page, click on "the community" tab, and you'll see all the offers going back to April 30. At the very bottom of that page, in the lower right corner, you'll find an arrow that says "older," click on that. and it takes you to the next previous set off offers. Keep doing that, and eventually you'll be back to the very origins of wine.woot. The Chase offer was July 14, so you'll see it on the I just sneezed all over myself..
If you're ever in St. Helena, be sure to call ahead and get an appointment to visit their tasting room. It's quite small, so you really do need to call, but mention that you're a wooter, and you'll find Jeff to be most accommodating, and he'll likely let you taste something he doesn't pour for just anyone.

ddeuddeg

jwhite6114 wrote:Well based on slightly mathematical analysis of past offers, we are six to eight weeks overdue on another Wellington offer, so ... bring it on!

As for varietals, we are also quite overdue for another Pinot Noir, but if it IS a Wellington offer, it won't be a Pinot. Zin is the next most overdue varietal, and that would certainly fit the Wellington menu. (Sangiovese, Sake, and Sparkling White are the next three overdue varietals).

Not that any of this means anything, but lacking clues from WD, it's the best I got.

One thing is for sure, we'll never get our hands on another double magnum of that '94. He's only got 4 or 5 left, and I think they'll go to major fund-raisers, ultra-special occasions (e.g., rpm tours), and the like.

kylemittskus

MaxAlex wrote:I joined the week later. I wish I had been part of WW at that time. I have the reserve Chase and am waiting to open with the right meal. My wife is a gourmet cook. Anyone out there that could link me up on that deal?

they are kindly offering a 20% discount on their website for us wine.wooters on orders of 6 or more bottles. Put in code WOOT to receive said discount.

I ordered 6 of the '05 on top of my woot order. I am now poor.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

WD, clues??

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

SonomaBouliste wrote:If I know WD, he's probably watching the USA / China basketball game, to be foollowed by other sports, so it's a mystery. Too bad I'm not at post # 1000 yet, because maybe then he'd let me give a clue.

Maybe Mr. Wellington's lament at not being able to offer a clue is indeed the clue itself. And if Sir White is correct, a he normally is, I might be getting my hands on some Wellington tonight.

ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
kylemittskus wrote:they are kindly offering a 20% discount on their website for us wine.wooters on orders of 6 or more bottles. Put in code WOOT to receive said discount.

I ordered 6 of the '05 on top of my woot order. I am now poor.

Well, not to be outdone by Chase - I'll honor the same. 20% discount on 6 bottles or more. Put WOOT in the message area and we'll manually discount the wine (my website isn't as sophisticated as Chase).

kylemittskus

ladyofwine wrote:Well, not to be outdone by Chase - I'll honor the same. 20% discount on 6 bottles or more. Put WOOT in the message area and we'll manually discount the wine (my website isn't as sophisticated as Chase).

Cheers!!!

ddeuddeg

jwhite, you have a PM.

ddeuddeg

kylemittskus wrote:Maybe Mr. Wellington's lament at not being able to offer a clue is indeed the clue itself. And if Sir White is correct, a he normally is, I might be getting my hands on some Wellington tonight.

Maybe. And if so, it would be my first ever first one to guess correctly. Actually, my first correct guess, period.

EDIT: I forget, when someone guesses correctly, does WD remain silent, thereby confirming accuracy, or is it too difficult to tell, since the Olympics are on TV?

kylemittskus

ddeuddeg wrote: EDIT: I forget, when someone guesses correctly, does WD remain silent, thereby confirming accuracy, or is it too difficult to tell, since the Olympics are on TV?

Most of the time, he remains reticent when a correct guess has occurred. I am not sure if we can say the olympics are a factor seeing as swimming is currently on, or would be on, WD's tv currently.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Got a question only peripherally related to this offering: how is your last name Zahtila pronounced?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
kylemittskus wrote:Most of the time, he remains reticent when a correct guess has occurred. I am not sure if we can say the olympics are a factor seeing as swimming is currently on, or would be on, WD's tv currently.

Depending on how wired he is there are NINE NBC channels plus all the streaming video on MSNBC. Toss a Tivo in the mix and we'll be lucky to see a new offering this week!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
kylemittskus wrote:Most of the time, he remains reticent when a correct guess has occurred. I am not sure if we can say the olympics are a factor seeing as swimming is currently on, or would be on, WD's tv currently.

There was a time he was silent, and we assumed we had gotten it correct. Turns out he had been otherwise occupied, and hadn't checked back.

That was especially embarrassing because it was my guess that everybody thought was right.

I haven't tried since.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Um, yes sports on TV (and my first nap since pre-Vaynerchuk appearance) clearly a factor.

Hey Peter, maybe we should save our clues to after the offer comes up eh ??
(NEVER !!).

You ready Vizzini ??

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
Winedavid39 wrote:Um, yes sports on TV (and my first nap since pre-Vaynerchuk appearance) clearly a factor.

(NEVER !!).

You ready Vizzini ??

A Wellington offer? Inconceivable!

(Please be the Cuvee' R.... please be the Cuvee' R... Cuv.. EH?)

kylemittskus

JOATMON wrote:Got a question only peripherally related to this offering: how is your last name Zahtila pronounced?

Zahtila. Duh!!!

And was it really necessary to clarify it as her last name? Her first name is Laura.

kylemittskus

Winedavid39 wrote: You ready Vizzini ??

What is this Vizzini you speak of?

jwhite6114

ladyofwine wrote:Well, not to be outdone by Chase - I'll honor the same. 20% discount on 6 bottles or more. Put WOOT in the message area and we'll manually discount the wine (my website isn't as sophisticated as Chase).

I sure hope we see more of you around here!!

Whether future offers, or just hanging out, your our kind of friend. Plus, we love having expert winemakers around here (SB is a regular, and a few others join in from time-to-time).

Thanks for the great offers and input this week Laura!

CT | | | | | |

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
Winedavid39 wrote:Um, yes sports on TV (and my first nap since pre-Vaynerchuk appearance) clearly a factor.

(NEVER !!).

You ready Vizzini ??

Vizzini = Princess Bride reference. He was poisoned, right?

PoiZin?

EDIT: I see the 2006 Reserve is out as is the "plain" 2007.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

jwhite6114

(NEVER !!).

You ready Vizzini ??

I am not sure this means it is Wellington. Vizzini was Sicilian -- I don't recall Peter telling us not to go in against him when death was on the line (not that we would poison anyone's wine).

CT | | | | | |

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
iByron wrote:Vizzini = Princess Bride reference. He was poisoned, right?

PoiZin?

EDIT: I see the 2006 is out.

Could be .... I was trying to think about it, and forgot Armida.

Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

I thought of Greg Norman (the poison was Iocaine, supposedly from Australia) or of some winery that had Sicilian heritage (most are Piedmont or Tuscan heritage that I could find).

EDIT: Also, SB included FOOL (unless it was a mis-spelling) in the following:

SonomaBouliste wrote:If I know WD, he's probably watching the USA / China basketball game, to be foollowed by other sports, so it's a mystery. Too bad I'm not at post # 1000 yet, because maybe then he'd let me give a clue.

So I think it is more likely that it will be PoiZin ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

jwhite6114

iByron wrote:Vizzini = Princess Bride reference. He was poisoned, right?

PoiZin?

EDIT: I see the 2006 Reserve is out as is the "plain" 2007.

Well, it would be a Zin, but I think it's too early for PoiZin. Their last two offers were October. The 2007's do appear to be released, though. But it is an interesting guess.

CT | | | | | |

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

Really doubt it but... Vizzini Farms Winery in Alabama, hmm peach wine

CT

kylemittskus

jwhite6114 wrote:Well, it would be a Zin, but I think it's too early for PoiZin. Their last two offers were October. The 2007's do appear to be released, though. But it is an interesting guess.

who makes this PoiZin?

Edit: jwhite, how are we ready for Zin again, or are we? We just had Chase zin.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
SonomaBouliste wrote:edit: what? I just made two posts and my count went from 988 to 989. Methinks there is some mysterious unknown conspiracy afoot to keep me from reaching 1000 posts.

Post counts would be too "expensive" (slow) to update every time the server renders the page, so they are cached in memory, which means they aren't real-time. The cache gets updated on a schedule or whenever the server thinks it needs it (or a combination of the two).

Generally there are multiple levels of cache and multiple servers with their own caches, and possibly sharing some cache... yada yada yada.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.