jgribb1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgribb1

hmm birthday, hmm do it once, hmmmm sweeeet!!

I want my Baby Back ribs!!!!!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
coynedj wrote:I'll be in Rochester next week, and I always hit Century when there. But I hear the Ridge Rd. store is closed.........

Try looking here: Century Wine

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

kylemittskus wrote:I was sent an email when I was labratted because the golden ticket was forgotten so it is not impossible. As far as Internet access 24/7, I dont think that most will have problems checking their email Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Persoanlly, I think that an email telling the chosen labrat to look out is a great idea, not a difficult thing to implement, and it would severely decrease labrat reports coming in late.

In no way are we trying to tell WD how to run this business. He does better than great on his own. We are just offering humble opinions.

In fact, there was a post earlier by someone who missed the CS offering this week because of traveling. Notwithstanding that, I've had second thoughts about this, reflecting on canonizer's thoughts. See my earlier post at 4:27PM today. And thanks for your willingness to address dissenting views in a civil manner, another of the hallmarks of this terrific website.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
cjsiege wrote:RPM are his initials. Since this is out on the web, we (obviously) don't use full names. Except for PSquishy Kyle (duh!). But here's where you can get more info on the tour...and probably deduce what at least some of the initials stand for.

Got it. Silly me, I was trying to figure out which appellations you were visiting...I should have known. Maybe a glass of wine will help my thought processes, yup - there's an open bottle of MY chardonnay in MY frig...guess I'll pour some! YUM!

jweldon325

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jweldon325

Looks to good to pass up....

First sucker: wootvirgin69
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Last wooter to woot: jweldon325

w: 11 | w.w: 14 | so.w: 3 | s.w: 1
My Cellar

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
ladyofwine wrote:It's a better comparison to talk about the style rather than the source of grapes. If your favorite Carneros region Chard hasn't gone through ML then they will be similar. I often say this wine is like a heavier SB than a Chardonnay - more burgundian in nature.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Oh, and Laura, you are cordially invited to join in the pub (and any OTHER discussions) any time - and not just when your wines are being featured! We're really nice people - unlike the juvie.wooters. And we bring nice wine when we go visiting. But be forewarned...it is addictive.

EDIT: must NOT post when I'm well into glass 2 of wine. Typing gets really sloppy!

cjsiege

Serious question for Laura - considering that so many winemakers produce chardonnays that are oak monster, butter bombs, what was it that made you decide to NOT follow the well-paved road? As I recall, your chard had enough oak to make it's presence known, but all of the stainlass steel and SauvBlanc lovers in the room were raving over it. Philosophy?

Cesare

quality posts: 1645 Private Messages Cesare
ddeuddeg wrote:Try looking here: Century Wine

Exactly.

coynedj wrote:I'll be in Rochester next week, and I always hit Century when there. But I hear the Ridge Rd. store is closed.........

The Pitsford Plaza store is MUCH bigger than the old location. It's like a big supermarket of wine. And lots of liquor too.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cjsiege

Anouther question for Laura - totally serious and fun at the same time. This weeks wine column in the Washington POst talks about wines to serve with (of all things) hot dogs, brats, and other picnic food (even Krispy Kremes). How well would your chardonnay go with the picnic foods?

(Oh - my current glass of Mumm Cuvee M does NOT go well with Krispy Kremes - in case anyone was wondering.)

ladyofwine

cjsiege wrote:Serious question for Laura - considering that so many winemakers produce chardonnays that are oak monster, butter bombs, what was it that made you decide to NOT follow the well-paved road? As I recall, your chard had enough oak to make it's presence known, but all of the stainlass steel and SauvBlanc lovers in the room were raving over it. Philosophy?

For me it's my personal style with a little bit of business thrown in. I, personally, don't like the butter bombs. I won't name names, but I have neighbors, in and around Calistoga that LOVE to make that style. Good for them. I don't buy them, or barter for them for myself. So that's the first reason. The second reason is sort of connected, many of my neighbors make that style so I wanted to offer something a little different. When we went a lookin' for chardonnay - that is to really find MY style, I really wanted the wine I like. (Side note: wish WOOT was available in 2003/4, imagine the $$ I could have saved on sample bottles!!!) So, when we started, I stainless fermented the 2004 vintage, then barrel aged. Nice, really bright, almost too shiny. 2005, partly stainless fermented and partly barrel fermented, then barrel aged. 2006 - the whole enchilada was barrel fermented and aged - and as I said, my favorite. But the lack of ML, across the vintages, is what has kept me happiest. Just don't need the butter bomb! 2007 - it's already released on my website, so the new vintage has a touch of stainless fermented SB in it, but the Chard was barrel aged - no ML, just like her big sisters. As is my ilk, once I have a line up of vintages, the harvest will reflect my taste, so, I suspect I'll be back to full blown Chard, no ML, 100% barrel fermented, but, we'll see!

ladyofwine

cjsiege wrote:Oh, and Laura, you are cordially invited to join in the pub (and any OTHER discussions) any time - and not just when your wines are being featured! We're really nice people - unlike the juvie.wooters. And we bring nice wine when we go visiting. But be forewarned...it is addictive.

EDIT: must NOT post when I'm well into glass 2 of wine. Typing gets really sloppy!

Thanks, I guess I'll never get to be anonymous now, but I'm just a regular gal, doing what she loves, hopefully like the rest of you. The breadth of wine knowledge across WOOT is astounding. I've read so many brands I've never even heard of, I still have lots of learning to do so hearing about all the wines winos, I mean wooters, taste and share is awesome.

cjsiege

ladyofwine wrote:Thanks, I guess I'll never get to be anonymous now, but I'm just a regular gal, doing what she loves, hopefully like the rest of you. The breadth of wine knowledge across WOOT is astounding. I've read so many brands I've never even heard of, I still have lots of learning to do so hearing about all the wines winos, I mean wooters, taste and share is awesome.

When you are on your grand marketing tour of the east coast, drop by DC. We'll hold a party in your honor! And bring lots of weird, good stuff you probably haven't had before!

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
Cesare wrote:The Pitsford Plaza store is MUCH bigger than the old location. It's like a big supermarket of wine. And lots of liquor too.

Hey, we will have to talk about the frozen north. I lived in Fairport for a few years.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 48 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I really enjoy butter bomb chardonnays, but I also love chardonnays like Chehalem Inox, which is fermented in 100% stainless steel. Does that make me uncool around here? :D

Maybe I'm just a wino! lulz

ladyofwine

cjsiege wrote:When you are on your grand marketing tour of the east coast, drop by DC. We'll hold a party in your honor! And bring lots of weird, good stuff you probably haven't had before!

That would be great. One of my best friends lives in Warrenton, VA and DC is an easy target to sell my juice so I'll keep woot on my calendar for when I get there!

Nite Nite for now...

wootvirgin69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootvirgin69

Laura please, PLEASE.....please stop talking it up. I was first to woot on this one, and every single post you make brings me dangerously closeer to going in AGAIN. Don't do this to me folks....am I alone here???

No winner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages No winner
Cesare wrote:The Pitsford Plaza store is MUCH bigger than the old location. It's like a big supermarket of wine. And lots of liquor too.

They probably have a huge selection of single malt Scotches and Irish whiskies, too. I can feel the will power seeping away already.

wootvirgin69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootvirgin69
bhodilee wrote:You gotta do the truffle shuffle, that's the only requirement

Awwwww, come on!! *sigh* JIGGLE, JIGGLE, JIGGLE, JIGGLE

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis
MaxAlex wrote:Sharon Township. About 15 minutes from Brunswick.

Cool!! Real close. What a smalll world!! I'm getting up to my eyeballs in wine and will probably back off some unless my son in KY comes home thirsty. U can aol.com me if you're sitting on the fence for some intersting juice and have that urge to take the experimental leap to try it. Just identify yourself in the heading so I don't auto delete you.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

[quote postid="2487966" user="smlauren"
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.983s

Last wooter to woot: smlauren

Laura, kudos to you for being a great contributor to this forum.[/quote]

WTF?

Seconding the winery participation this week. I buy wine I think I'll like - stick it in a cellar for a while, and open it based on a mood later in the year. It's nice to have this forum to go back through and see what everyone thought that week. Totally a rockin' idea, WD...

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
ladyofwine wrote:For me it's my personal style with a little bit of business thrown in. I, personally, don't like the butter bombs. I won't name names, but I have neighbors, in and around Calistoga that LOVE to make that style. Good for them. I don't buy them, or barter for them for myself. So that's the first reason. The second reason is sort of connected, many of my neighbors make that style so I wanted to offer something a little different. When we went a lookin' for chardonnay - that is to really find MY style, I really wanted the wine I like. (Side note: wish WOOT was available in 2003/4, imagine the $$ I could have saved on sample bottles!!!) So, when we started, I stainless fermented the 2004 vintage, then barrel aged. Nice, really bright, almost too shiny. 2005, partly stainless fermented and partly barrel fermented, then barrel aged. 2006 - the whole enchilada was barrel fermented and aged - and as I said, my favorite. But the lack of ML, across the vintages, is what has kept me happiest. Just don't need the butter bomb! 2007 - it's already released on my website, so the new vintage has a touch of stainless fermented SB in it, but the Chard was barrel aged - no ML, just like her big sisters. As is my ilk, once I have a line up of vintages, the harvest will reflect my taste, so, I suspect I'll be back to full blown Chard, no ML, 100% barrel fermented, but, we'll see!

So you offered us your favorite? Very cool!

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
ladyofwine wrote:That would be great. One of my best friends lives in Warrenton, VA and DC is an easy target to sell my juice so I'll keep woot on my calendar for when I get there!

Nite Nite for now...

Well, hey! I am about a 15 minute drive down Rt. 29 from Warrenton -- almost bought a house there 5 years ago (but the seller went into foreclosure the same time we put in an offer; the Realtor was willing to honor our offer, but only if we waived the contingency on the home inspection -- right!)

Anyway, def let us woot folks know if you're around -- there's a handy bunch of us in the area.

CT | | | | | |

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cjsiege wrote:Oh, and Laura, you are cordially invited to join in the pub (and any OTHER discussions) any time - and not just when your wines are being featured! We're really nice people - unlike the juvie.wooters. And we bring nice wine when we go visiting. But be forewarned...it is addictive.

For me this is bottle two. I should not post when I'm well into my second bottle.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
sanity wrote:But it would take the fun out of it, at least for me. I like surprises! I've yet to be chosen to labrat, I'm sure it will happen eventually. I love the anticipation, "maybe this week?", and OK, a small disappointment when I check my mail service and an unexpected delivery did not arrive, "maybe next week?".

Wouldn't the email be a suprise?

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
ladyofwine wrote:It's a better comparison to talk about the style rather than the source of grapes. If your favorite Carneros region Chard hasn't gone through ML then they will be similar. I often say this wine is like a heavier SB than a Chardonnay - more burgundian in nature.

Gah! Oh no... I was fine laying off this w.w, until themostrighteous quoted you on this (I has missed your comment the first time). I've never really liked the SB that I've tried, so all those comparisons weren't doing it for me. However, I just went on a trip to Burgundy with my family, and having their whites re-defined my outlook on chardonnay. I just hadn't made the mental connection that your wine might be in that style. Oh drat...this could be a close one.

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
bhodilee wrote:For me this is bottle two. I should not post when I'm well into my second bottle.

Second bottle, posted at 10:22AM?

I like the cut of your jib!

iceeblue7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7

Oh carp, I'm in

I thought I would be immune to the chard and just enjoy the banter of the forums as I had my morning tea. Now I'm in for 1. Laura and the labrat have just made it sound so intriguing. A Chard that isn't a Chard. It's only 1 as in the last 3 months I have brought a house (yes in this market) all the furniture to go into said house and I am planning a wedding (yes my own). Can we please offer a three pack of Thunderbird or Boons Farm next week or I am going to have to get a second job to support WD. WD do you have own a boat? I would at least like to know my money is finding a good home. I can walk through a liqueur store with barely a hesitation, but here the wines come alive especially when we have such involvement from the winemarker. I am a sucker for someone who crafts something they are proud of and stand behind. The Twisted Oak guy got me the same way.

dan0aab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dan0aab

So in context of the chard discussion here, what is ML short for? I'm having a blast coming up with my own words, but I doubt any of them are correct.

Yes, I'm showing my extreme noobishness here.

bhodilee

dan0aab wrote:So in context of the chard discussion here, what is ML short for? I'm having a blast coming up with my own words, but I doubt any of them are correct.

malo-lactic (sp?) fermentation, it's what makes chard's buttery and me hate them. These don't have that so I'm gonna try them and hopefully love them.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

ddeuddeg

afranke wrote:Second bottle, posted at 10:22AM?

I like the cut of your jib!

It's even worse (better?) when you know he's in the Central Time Zone, where it was only 9:22.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
dan0aab wrote:So in context of the chard discussion here, what is ML short for? I'm having a blast coming up with my own words, but I doubt any of them are correct.

You might want to check out Peter Wellington's excellent posting about ML(F)

ddeuddeg

iceeblue7 wrote: Laura and the labrat have just made it sound so intriguing. A Chard that isn't a Chard. (snip) I am a sucker for someone who crafts something they are proud of and stand behind.

2 things:
1. Arguably, this is the Chard that IS a Chard. It's the other kind that aren't.
2. This is not a value judgment in any way, but your membership date suggests that you're a relative new-comer here. Be sure to read some of Peter Wellington's Random Ramblings of a Weary Winemaker, if you haven't already done so. You'll find on the right-hand side of the main wine.woot page. There are earlier ones you could find in the forum; he's been writing them for nearly a year now. They are extremely well written, interesting, and informative. Then be advised to stay away from his tasting room in Sonoma, unless you take lots of $ or plastic, because he is exactly the kind of guy you say you're a sucker for. He crafts something he's proud of, and he stands behind it, and it's easy to do that when what you make is as good as the wines he makes. I was lucky to get out of there a few weeks ago with only 9 bottles. One of the other guys on the tour went back the day after the tour and bought 4 cases.

ddeuddeg

woopdedoo wrote:You might want to check out Peter Wellington's excellent posting about ML(F)

How 'bout that, while I'm posting, another tour-ist is pointing someone to the Ramblings, too.

iceeblue7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7
ddeuddeg wrote:2 things:
1. Arguably, this is the Chard that IS a Chard. It's the other kind that aren't.
2. This is not a value judgment in any way, but your membership date suggests that you're a relative new-comer here. Be sure to read some of Peter Wellington's Random Ramblings of a Weary Winemaker, if you haven't already done so. You'll find on the right-hand side of the main wine.woot page. There are earlier ones you could find in the forum; he's been writing them for nearly a year now. They are extremely well written, interesting, and informative. Then be advised to stay away from his tasting room in Sonoma, unless you take lots of $ or plastic, because he is exactly the kind of guy you say you're a sucker for. He crafts something he's proud of, and he stands behind it, and it's easy to do that when what you make is as good as the wines he makes. I was lucky to get out of there a few weeks ago with only 9 bottles. One of the other guys on the tour went back the day after the tour and bought 4 cases.

ddeuddeg

ddeuddeg wrote: Be sure to read some of Peter Wellington's Random Ramblings of a Weary Winemaker. (snip) He crafts something he's proud of, and he stands behind it, and it's easy to do that when what you make is as good as the wines he makes.

I forgot to mention, Peter joined us for dinner that evening, and brought along a double magnum of his '94 Zin. It was, in a word, divine, IMHO.

ladyofwine

cjsiege wrote:Anouther question for Laura - totally serious and fun at the same time. This weeks wine column in the Washington POst talks about wines to serve with (of all things) hot dogs, brats, and other picnic food (even Krispy Kremes). How well would your chardonnay go with the picnic foods?

(Oh - my current glass of Mumm Cuvee M does NOT go well with Krispy Kremes - in case anyone was wondering.)

I'd stay away from the super salty foods and stay closer to a nice cambazola and crackers, salmon and tuna, as they mentioned. Definitely NOT krispy kremes (who takes donuts on a picnic anyway?) I'd head for my zin for picnic meats.

bhodilee

ddeuddeg wrote:It's even worse (better?) when you know he's in the Central Time Zone, where it was only 9:22.

Okay, I was talking in general. I haven't had any liquor today. Does beer count? If beer counts I guess I can't say that

kbiehl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbiehl

Laura - I am intrigued by the 2004 and 2005 Laura's Theme dessert wines on you website. Would these be considered the same thing as a port? If not, can you please explain the difference? I love a good Zinfandel Port! Thanks

ladyofwine

kbiehl wrote:Laura - I am intrigued by the 2004 and 2005 Laura's Theme dessert wines on you website. Would these be considered the same thing as a port? If not, can you please explain the difference? I love a good Zinfandel Port! Thanks

First, about the wine. Yes, it's made in the style of a port. The 2004 is a blend of PS from the Dry Creek Valley vineyard where I buy my Zin grapes and my own estate zinfandel fruit. It's about 8% residual sugar and right on the money at 18% alc. by volume. I added 5 year old grape brandy. It's NOT a rum raisiny port, loves to be drunk alone or with something in the chocolate family (baked fruit works too). The 2005 is 100% PS, sourced from the same grower. Just about the same technical notes. This one is inky. Very inky. Did I say inky? And up and coming, the 2006 and 2007 vintages are also blends (I like the blended 2004 the best). 2008 will be a challenge because I am changing DC growers and the new guy doesn't have any PS - I'm on the hunt!

Laura's Theme started out in 2003 as Laura's Port. Unfortuately for my incredibly bad timing, my federal label approval occured about 6 weeks after the "grandfather" deadline of March 31, 2006. When the US and the EU signed agreements to protect place names, Oporto was included. So, I was ready to bottle up my 2004 and the law changed. We had to design a new label with a new name since 'port' was off the table. I held a contest and one of my wine club members offered "Laura's Theme" as a possibility. Since I was named (not by spelling!) for that song from Dr. Zhivago, it seemed like a good fit. By the time the whole thing was decided, printed and ready to go, so was the 2005 - hence the two releases. Whew, that was a long story, wasn't it?