bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MaxAlex wrote:I'm new to the WOOT universe and have bought each opportunity offered to date (5 times). It's great to try things that we can't get easily here in the midwest. Thanks for opening up our eyes, nose, and tongues to mostly tasty treats. Two times a week is great!

You keep saying midwest, where in the midwest are you?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
javadrinker wrote:The honeymoon will be over soon enough...not with the site or the community...but with buying every offer. We all hit that wall eventually. Usually due to space issues or the "stink eye" from spouses/significant others/co-workers/UPS drivers/etc.

You forgot the most significant one: the bank!

CT | | | | | |

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
javadrinker wrote:The honeymoon will be over soon enough...not with the site or the community...but with buying every offer. We all hit that wall eventually. Usually due to space issues or the "stink eye" from spouses/significant others/co-workers/UPS drivers/etc.

Very funny. I'm sure with everyone else, you do receive other shipments as well. This can be an overwhelming hobby and life style. My wife is a gourmet cook and its my job to keep us happily in wine. Believe me, we are set for many meals in the future.

MaxAlex

bhodilee wrote:You keep saying midwest, where in the midwest are you?

Just south of Cleveland, Ohio

terrenceistheman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages terrenceistheman

So I'm leaning on taking the plunge. This would be my 2nd ever wine.woot purchase with the first being last week. As I feared, I think I am going to have a huge backlog of wine to get through and may need to purchase some sort of wine holder storage area thingy.

Anyways, I am no where near a wine expert, but I do love when a person responsible for the product gets down in the trenches (comments) with us so I will ask my silly little question.

Is this a wine that should be served cold or chilled? I see the comments reference it as a good summer wine and light, crispy, fruity etc.. but I just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance

ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
terrenceistheman wrote:So I'm leaning on taking the plunge. This would be my 2nd ever wine.woot purchase with the first being last week. As I feared, I think I am going to have a huge backlog of wine to get through and may need to purchase some sort of wine holder storage area thingy.

Anyways, I am no where near a wine expert, but I do love when a person responsible for the product gets down in the trenches (comments) with us so I will ask my silly little question.

Is this a wine that should be served cold or chilled? I see the comments reference it as a good summer wine and light, crispy, fruity etc.. but I just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance

IMO you should keep it in the refrigerator (cold) until about 30 minutes prior to drinking. This will take that super cold edge off but still leave it refreshing and cool. Then, put it back in and out as the glasses go by...never warm or even room temperature, cool to not-to-cold.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

I actually prefer an oaky Chard, but my other half doesn't. Either way, if this is similar to an SB, how can I go wrong? And brownie points for me! In for one.

Laura, could you just throw a couple oak toothpicks in one of my bottles? Thanks.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

jbohonow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jbohonow

Hi All,
This is my first post to WW. I was a "labrat" for the Cabernet offering (my first time!) and was also surprised to see it had sold out when I went to post last night. We opened our bottle with a steak dinner. We found this wine to be enjoyable but not particularly memorable. I usually like my reds to have more body and a longer finish. However, since this wine isn't "overpowering" in any way (fruit, tannin, alcohol, etc...) it would be a great choice for gatherings with people who have varied preferences. We will probably save our three bottles for a dinner party.

Now...as for the Chardonnay...we are debating as our preference on whites is usually Sauvignon Blanc...

Again, I am sorry the Cabernet offering was over before my post and hope that this doesn't disqualify me from future lab-rat opportunities

terrenceistheman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages terrenceistheman
ladyofwine wrote:IMO you should keep it in the refrigerator (cold) until about 30 minutes prior to drinking. This will take that super cold edge off but still leave it refreshing and cool. Then, put it back in and out as the glasses go by...never warm or even room temperature, cool to not-to-cold.

Sounds good. That's all I needed to know.

Talk about great customer service. Thanks again!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Since I won't be around much tomorrow, I'd just like to take this opportunity to THANK YOU Laura, for your wonderful participation this week. It's always great meeting a FUN winemaker who doesn't mind the shenanigans we pull around here. I'm looking forward to trying both of these when they come, and hope to see you stick around here!

Also, LABRATS, any of you who are picked for this offering - I will not be having much computer access this weekend until later Sunday evening. PLEASE cross-post to the RatPack Thread, and I will link you up from the offering header post when I have a chance.

Thanks all!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
ladyofwine wrote:IMO you should keep it in the refrigerator (cold) until about 30 minutes prior to drinking. This will take that super cold edge off but still leave it refreshing and cool. Then, put it back in and out as the glasses go by...never warm or even room temperature, cool to not-to-cold.

Just a suggestion: Our niece gave us a nice chiller sleeve a couple of years back; it's kept in the freezer, and then slides onto the wine bottle to keep it cool at the table. Saves trips to the fridge and interruptions to the dinner conversation. But definitely don't serve the wine too cold, you'll miss too much of the flavor.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:Since I won't be around much tomorrow, I'd just like to take this opportunity to THANK YOU Laura, for your wonderful participation this week. It's always great meeting a FUN winemaker who doesn't mind the shenanigans we pull around here. I'm looking forward to trying both of these when they come, and hope to see you stick around here!

Also, LABRATS, any of you who are picked for this offering - I will not be having much computer access this weekend until later Sunday evening. PLEASE cross-post to the RatPack Thread, and I will link you up from the offering header post when I have a chance.

Thanks all!

Thanks for seeing to that RatPack thread. Sparky or someone usually covers your back when you let everyone know you'll be AFK.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

canonizer wrote:Eh, this site's improved a great deal because they listen to the forum members. All the major carriers offer email notification, both upon shipment and reception. As long as 'fedex slips' are being filled out, it wouldn't add significant difficulty to make a notification to the rat; in fact, it could probably be completely automated as part of the process of pulling user info from the database.

But largely I agree, the system really ain't broke.

After reading this, I went back and re-read my entire post, and at 4:30PM, I'm much mellower. Thanks for your thoughts on this. As usual, they were most insightful. No more postings for me before I've had at least my first cup of coffee.

ladyofwine

cheron98 wrote:Since I won't be around much tomorrow, I'd just like to take this opportunity to THANK YOU Laura, for your wonderful participation this week. It's always great meeting a FUN winemaker who doesn't mind the shenanigans we pull around here. I'm looking forward to trying both of these when they come, and hope to see you stick around here!

Thanks all!

I'm really enjoying this whole experience. My hi-tech nerves were tingling just as WD said they would since I haven't been an active blogger. I always appreciate an honest evaluation of my wine: I love hearing the different descriptors used in the tasting process and don't mind when it's not someone's cup of tea (wine!). And for goodness sake, it's not rocket science, I had 17 years of serious network building and support to do, so the change to the wine industry has been a real blessing for me. FUN is my middle name!

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
ddeuddeg wrote:After reading this, I went back and re-read my entire post, and at 4:30PM, I'm much mellower. Thanks for your thoughts on this. As usual, they were most insightful. No more postings for me before I've had at least my first cup of coffee.

Or a second glass of wine. Those make for entertaining posts.

CT | | | | | |

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren

I look at the site on Monday and I'm like, "No way. Who the hell is Laura Zatilla?"
Excellent! I'll get through this week without a w.w purchase.
Then, I start reading the main thread. This is a HUGE mistake if you are trying to pay down a HUGE Visa bill. And, of course, Laura is this charming, intelligent, & dedicated winemaker working her behind off to make great wines and support her dog. Well, I love Napa Cabs, so, I'm hooked and I buy.
Then, BowTie gets her to give up the goods on the Thursday offering that it's a Chard and I'm like, "Excellent! There's no way I'm buying that."
Then, I start reading the main thread. JWhite's little Google spreadsheet says it's a great deal..... Laura is going on about how crisp it is and........... I think you know what happens next.....

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.983s

Last wooter to woot: smlauren

Laura, kudos to you for being a great contributor to this forum.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis

Where South of Cleveland?? So am I - Brunswick

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis
MaxAlex wrote:Just south of Cleveland, Ohio

Where south of cleveland. I'm in Brunswick...Could combine orders/split orders

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

smlauren wrote:I look at the site on Monday and I'm like, "No way. Who the hell is Laura Zatilla?"
Then, I start reading the main thread. This is a HUGE mistake if you are trying to pay down a HUGE Visa bill. And, of course, Laura is this charming, intelligent, & dedicated winemaker working her behind off to make great wines and support her dog. Well, I love Napa Cabs, so, I'm hooked and I buy.
Then, BowTie gets her to give up the goods on the Thursday offering that it's a Chard and I'm like, "Excellent! There's no way I'm buying that."
Then, I start reading the main thread. JWhite's little Google spreadsheet says it's a great deal..... Laura is going on about how crisp it is and........... I think you know what happens next.....

classic.

Cesare

quality posts: 1676 Private Messages Cesare
Winedavid39 wrote:classic.

another one bites the dust.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ddeuddeg

smlauren wrote:I look at the site on Monday and I'm like, "No way. Who the hell is Laura Zatilla?"

Huge VISA bill, indeed! I was pretty OK until I went on that incredible rpm tour. You think you'll be able to resist one of these offers, then you go and start reading the posts, always a fatal mistake in my experience. Well, try going to 15 tasting rooms in 3 days, virtually all of them incredible. Then you've got all these wooters around you, all enthusiastic about the juice, just like on here, but you can see them and hear them, and you can smell and taste the stuff. And they're offering nearly woot-like discounts, besides. Will power? Gone, totally. And I'm still in for one of these.

ddeuddeg

Cesare wrote:another one bites the dust.

ROTFLMAO!!!

MaxAlex

ltraffis wrote:Where south of cleveland. I'm in Brunswick...Could combine orders/split orders

Sharon Township. About 15 minutes from Brunswick.

MaxAlex

Winedavid39 wrote:classic.

I'm glad to see that the bug is still contagious for those who have been part of this WW universe for quite some time. I don't remember when I had so much fun.

Love wine. Love talking about. Thanks

ddeuddeg

jwhite6114 wrote:Or a second glass of wine. Those make for entertaining posts.

Tough to have a second glass until I've had the first, though. Ovaltina, my goat, it's nearly 6:00! The sun's been over the yardarm for hours, and I'm behind. Hate it when bahwm is away.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot about the beloved woot filters.

Cesare

quality posts: 1676 Private Messages Cesare
ddeuddeg wrote:Tough to have a second glass until I've had the first, though. Ovaltina, my goat, it's nearly 6:00! The sun's been over the yardarm for hours, and I'm behind. Hate it when bahwm is away.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot about the beloved woot filters.

I keep thinking the woot filter got your userid. Still getting used to it.
And you want to talk about will power? Wait till you hit Century in Rochester- negative will power in that place.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:I know you worded this as a "suggestion," but I am always amused when members of the wine.woot community try to tell WD how to run HIS business. As he explained to me during the recent tour, one of the 3 main things that makes this business work is keeping it simple. Others replying to this have suggested notifying the labrats by email. Apart from "spoiling the surprise," this adds another step to the process.
As for your idea that people should wait to order, anyone who has decided to order should be able to do so whenever it is convenient. Not everyone has convenient internet access 24/7.

I was sent an email when I was labratted because the golden ticket was forgotten so it is not impossible. As far as Internet access 24/7, I dont think that most will have problems checking their email Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Persoanlly, I think that an email telling the chosen labrat to look out is a great idea, not a difficult thing to implement, and it would severely decrease labrat reports coming in late.

In no way are we trying to tell WD how to run this business. He does better than great on his own. We are just offering humble opinions.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

can everyone stop talking! Especially you Laura! I am trying very hard not to buy this wine but you are making it very difficult. Even Cheron and SM went in! I will most likely fold by tonight and Its all your fault! I hope you sleep well Laura knowing that!

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

I'm really looking forward to my orders, and thank you Laura for your great participation.

I'm not a chard lover, especially the heavily oaked kind, though I have found some unoaked that are really pleasant and do remind me of SB. Laura's description reminds me of the Abandon, too, speedoo, and other chardonnays that I've enjoyed that were not butter/cream /alcohol bombs. I'm looking forward to tasting her vision in the wine!

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
kylemittskus wrote:...snipped...

Persoanlly, I think that an email telling the chosen labrat to look out is a great idea, not a difficult thing to implement, and it would severely decrease labrat reports coming in late....snipped....

But it would take the fun out of it, at least for me. I like surprises! I've yet to be chosen to labrat, I'm sure it will happen eventually. I love the anticipation, "maybe this week?", and OK, a small disappointment when I check my mail service and an unexpected delivery did not arrive, "maybe next week?".

kylemittskus

sanity wrote:But it would take the fun out of it, at least for me. I like surprises! I've yet to be chosen to labrat, I'm sure it will happen eventually. I love the anticipation, "maybe this week?", and OK, a small disappointment when I check my mail service and an unexpected delivery did not arrive, "maybe next week?".

And it is indeed fun! But... I don't think (please keep in mind, this is just me, a "youngin" as TMR put it) that labrattage is not about the individual but about the conglomeration. I sound like a Marxist! If an email will ensure, or at least increase the chance that, the duties will be upheld.we have now had 2 missed in three weeks.
By the way, labrat this woman!!!

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
ladyofwine wrote:

FUN is my middle name!

Gee, I thought it was "of"

kylemittskus

SonomaBouliste wrote:Gee, I thought it was "of"

... and a jokester. What can't this cat do?

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
Cesare wrote:I keep thinking the woot filter got your userid. Still getting used to it.
And you want to talk about will power? Wait till you hit Century in Rochester- negative will power in that place.

I'll be in Rochester next week, and I always hit Century when there. But I hear the Ridge Rd. store is closed.........

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
kylemittskus wrote:... and a jokester. What can't this cat do?

Make wine...doh.

I keed I keed...as evidenced by the...oh, let's check CT...hmmmmmm...16 bottles of various Wellington wines currently in my possession.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

ladyofwine

kylemittskus wrote:can everyone stop talking! Especially you Laura! I am trying very hard not to buy this wine but you are making it very difficult. Even Cheron and SM went in! I will most likely fold by tonight and Its all your fault! I hope you sleep well Laura knowing that!

WD keeps egging me on - plus, this stuff is really fun. I should be doing a ton of other things - writing the newsletter, finishing the curriculum I'm writing, reviewing my books - I did get a couple of other things done today besides track all things woot - once it got kind of quiet I was wondering where everyone got to and I found (and lurked in) the Pub - cool. I hope I'll be included as a visitation spot on the next tour - what's RPM stand for anyway?

This is really the best deal in my Chardonnay history - and of the three Chards released thus far, my favorite vintage. Now that it's aging up I wished I kept my hands off the 2007 - 'cause it's a bit different than this. But, I've been wanting to experiment in blends, which is what the 2007 is. Still wonder what will go on during harvest 2008 - should I or shouldn't I? We'll see!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
ladyofwine wrote:This is really the best deal in my Chardonnay history - and of the three Chards released thus far, my favorite vintage.

You're not making it any easier on any of us who haven't ordered yet!

I went ahead and ordered a while ago, so I'm in the clear. My Visa card isn't, though.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

ddeuddeg

Cesare wrote:I keep thinking the woot filter got your userid. Still getting used to it.

Maybe I'd better just stay away from that place. Sounds extremely dangerous.

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
ladyofwine wrote:WD keeps egging me on - plus, this stuff is really fun. I should be doing a ton of other things - writing the newsletter, finishing the curriculum I'm writing, reviewing my books - I did get a couple of other things done today besides track all things woot - once it got kind of quiet I was wondering where everyone got to and I found (and lurked in) the Pub - cool. I hope I'll be included as a visitation spot on the next tour - what's RPM stand for anyway?

RPM are his initials. Since this is out on the web, we (obviously) don't use full names. Except for PSquishy Kyle (duh!). But here's where you can get more info on the tour...and probably deduce what at least some of the initials stand for.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
ladyofwine wrote:WD keeps egging me on - plus, this stuff is really fun. I should be doing a ton of other things - writing the newsletter, finishing the curriculum I'm writing, reviewing my books - I did get a couple of other things done today besides track all things woot - once it got kind of quiet I was wondering where everyone got to and I found (and lurked in) the Pub - cool. I hope I'll be included as a visitation spot on the next tour - what's RPM stand for anyway?

This is really the best deal in my Chardonnay history - and of the three Chards released thus far, my favorite vintage. Now that it's aging up I wished I kept my hands off the 2007 - 'cause it's a bit different than this. But, I've been wanting to experiment in blends, which is what the 2007 is. Still wonder what will go on during harvest 2008 - should I or shouldn't I? We'll see!

RPM is the user that really was one of the main driving forces for the tour (along with Woopdedo and WineDavid). Those are his initials and he comes from a family with a long and respected history up in Cali wine country. Truly one of the most fun and educational trips I've ever been a part of (grammatics be damned!!).

As for that bit about your Chard...damn...now I'm with Kyle and I'm gonna have to buy. There's just something about a person putting their passion into their work and even sharing their fears. Plus I like the less buttery Chards too. Win/win...except for the whole credit card bill thing.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.