+ Add a Comment

canonizer


quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
ddeuddeg wrote:I know you worded this as a "suggestion,"

[snip]

EDIT: Sorry about the "double post." There's a server error problem, and I wanted this showing with my correct screen name. I don't know who "No winner" is.



Eh, this site's improved a great deal because they listen to the forum members. All the major carriers offer email notification, both upon shipment and reception. As long as 'fedex slips' are being filled out, it wouldn't add significant difficulty to make a notification to the rat; in fact, it could probably be completely automated as part of the process of pulling user info from the database.

But largely I agree, the system really ain't broke.

signed.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Laura Zahtila Vineyards Napa Valley Chardonnay – Three Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: wootvirgin69
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Last wooter to woot: cheron98

With the help of InShadows & oppsie...

Edit: Even though this order is in before the labrat deadline, please don't consider me for rattage unless you can pretty much guarantee the bottle would be in hand by noon... on a plane at 3 heading to DC. Unless you want to rat InShadows or oppsie instead...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

LoonBoarder


quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder

Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: wootvirgin69
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Last wooter to woot: LoonBoarder

In for a set. Gotta keep helping a former hi-techie live the dream!

Dude... wait, what?

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

In for one. I feel as though I owe it to Woot after being the catalyst to the cat being let out of the barrel (though I would have thought the cat would have been in the Sauvignon Blanc barrel as it smells like cat piss to me). Though if you're willing to let bygones be bygones (release your inner Ghandi, WD) I'm willing to labrat this puppy, er kitty, er Chard. Whatever. Actually, ya know what, DON'T LABRAT ME! Forgot we're closing the office at 3:30 tomorrow to go to the bosses, get drunk and say inappropriate things. I have no clue if FedEx would get here before then and if I'd be in any shape to actually labrat anything tomorrow night.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ladyofwine wrote:(let me try that again)

What would have been really fun is if WD and I could have figured out a way to change up and put my zin out there tonight instead...that would have gotcha!



I'd have just bought it anyway, but it would have been a classic okey doke

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

srisbon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages srisbon

In for one. I like that is not a "typical" chard... And finally signed up to be a labrat. Just wanted to throw that out there, just in case....

Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: wootvirgin69
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Last wooter to woot: srisbon

Lighter


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
canonizer wrote:But largely I agree, the system really ain't broke.



There haven't been a lot of problems. This week is really a fluke, but it's also real. An occasional bad bottle and occasional delivery slip up are just part of the wine over the internet game. If all the labrat bottles were in hands by noon Tuesday and all the lab rat reports were perfect Wine Spectator articles I'd be really suspicious or I'd just plain ignore them. Sure, I feel for the wine merchant when this stuff happens out of their control. But I wonder if these slips really hurt sales.

CpprCr8


quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

Thank you, Laura! In for 2 as promised.

Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: wootvirgin69
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s
Last wooter to woot: CpprCr8 (aka cjsiege)

EDIT: WooHoo! The Cr8 account just went burgundy! I thought I'd never get out of the blue box phase!

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

kkv123


quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

I was one of the lucky ones who had the opportunity to preview this wine at the recent DC/VA rose tasting. I can state with enthusiasm that this is no stiff butter bomb, but a lithe, crisp little number. I also recall some nice spiciness, but perhaps these nuances were magnified as a result of the rest of the wines we were tasting at the time.

The greatest surprise for me was the fact that this wine was, indeed, a chardonnay. I would never had guessed it. I am always pleased to find a wine that shakes up my preconceptions of a particular varietal, and this wine did that quite nicely.

Thanks Laura and WineDavid. I'm in!

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
wootvirgin69 wrote:HA! Funny you should say that, Whitey...I found the Gathering #7 thread early yesterday evening, and posted (grovelled) to see if I could get in on the fun. Thanks so much for pointing that out, hopefully they have room, and I will be accepted into the group (without human sacrifice or other rare form or torture).



You gotta do the truffle shuffle, that's the only requirement

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

SmilingBoognish


quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I'm in, and bummed that I was traveling earlier this week and missed out on the cab.

I visited Laura's tasting room in April of 2005 at the suggestion of Summer's Family staff. She had a bottle of Zinfandel which had been opened about 5 minutes, and the same wine in a decanter which had been breathing for a little over an hour. It was very fun to taste the difference and Laura was a wonderful host and her story of leaving was a bit inspiring and motivational to me at that particular moment in life.

IanMorr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IanMorr

Laura Zahtila Vineyards Napa Valley Chardonnay – Three Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: wootvirgin69
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Last wooter to woot: IanMorr

I'm in for 1, as ordered by my wife from her bed in the delivery ward. Hospital's with wi-fi rule. Lucky I missed the labrat cut-off, don't think I'll be in much shape to sample.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
IanMorr wrote:Laura Zahtila Vineyards Napa Valley Chardonnay – Three Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: wootvirgin69
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Last wooter to woot: IanMorr

I'm in for 1, as ordered by my wife from her bed in the delivery ward. Hospital's with wi-fi rule. Lucky I missed the labrat cut-off, don't think I'll be in much shape to sample.



Your wife wanted you to order wine while she was in labor? You are one lucky SOB

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

IanMorr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IanMorr
bhodilee wrote:Your wife wanted you to order wine while she was in labor? You are one lucky SOB



She's not in Labor quite yet, but yes, I get the impression she's looking forward to drinking again.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
IanMorr wrote:She's not in Labor quite yet, but yes, I get the impression she's looking forward to drinking again.



Congrats, is this the first? If ever there was a good reason for a free bottle that'd be it. I hope you're labratted anyway.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

IanMorr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IanMorr
bhodilee wrote:Congrats, is this the first? If ever there was a good reason for a free bottle that'd be it. I hope you're labratted anyway.



Yep, this is the first.

jhoofard


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhoofard
ladyofwine wrote:(let me try that again)

What would have been really fun is if WD and I could have figured out a way to change up and put my zin out there tonight instead...that would have gotcha!



If it was the DCV Zin i would have had to have wooted 3! Not a chard lover but i am looking forward to the cab i got yesterday...

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
IanMorr wrote:Yep, this is the first.



Congrats to the both of you and the new addition.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
tkastorff wrote:Laura - I know you mis labeled this a Carneros region chard earlier, and on your site. If I am a huge fan of Carneros region wines, how does yours compare? Similar in taste and structure? I am not a chard fan overall, but I brought a couple home from a trip to Napa, and they were from Carneros sourced grapes. thx!



It's a better comparison to talk about the style rather than the source of grapes. If your favorite Carneros region Chard hasn't gone through ML then they will be similar. I often say this wine is like a heavier SB than a Chardonnay - more burgundian in nature.

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
Cesare wrote:So this is last year's release? I see you have the 2007 out already. What would the cellar life be on this one?



Yes, the 2007 was shipped to my wine club this past spring, we aren't really selling much as I'm trying to move through the 2006 vintage. The 2006 was released April 2007. Cellar life should be an easy 5 years. It's already maturing in color so a couple more years won't hurt at all.

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
afranke wrote:Maybe I can make up for my failure at LabRat duties during the week's first offering, by posting in here...

Laura makes a great wine! You should buy it!

In reality, I'm not sure this is my style of white. I like 'em with body, like an Alsace pinot blanc. Anyone care to convince me that I should pony up for this one?



This isn't a flat Chardonnay, I think it has great body. It has good acidity and balance, stand alone or with a meal, it will hold up!

speedoo


quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
ladyofwine wrote:It's a better comparison to talk about the style rather than the source of grapes. If your favorite Carneros region Chard hasn't gone through ML then they will be similar. I often say this wine is like a heavier SB than a Chardonnay - more burgundian in nature.



Laura, I wonder if you are familiar with the Generations of Sonoma Abandon Chardonnay. It's one of my favorite whites and I think several other wooters enjoyed it as well.

I ask the question because from your comments and those of others, your chardonnay might be very similar to the Abandon.

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
InShadows wrote:I'm assuming you are speaking of this picture:



I don't have specific tasting notes from the gathering because they just go in rapid succession, but I do remember liking the chard and wanting to finish the bottle until another unnamed bottle came along. It definitely went well with the chicken kabobs that evening.



Yes, it was shared yesterday as well and I got a HUGE kick out of it - nothing like a good belly laugh to make my day! Thanks for sharing again!

NYSteve


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NYSteve

Waited until today to pull the trigger on the Cab, and then... gone. Is this the 1st time something has sold out before the labrat reports rolled in? That'll teach a lurker to hold out. I'd have gone in for two.

I have too much chard (way more than we drink), but this looks like it might be to my liking. It will probably sell out before I make up my mind here.

Too bad the woot price can't be honored on the winemaker website; I might put together a combo of Cab/Chard.

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
MaxAlex wrote:Hi Laura

You are one great salesperson. I bought both the cab & the chard based upon your sense of humor and your obvious love of wine: yours & others. I'm looking forward to the deliveries and will try right away. I'm hoping that the wine leads me to become a "friend and Family" member of your club. Have a great day!



Thanks for the kind words. I do love what I do, the products I make and the people I work with - living in Calistoga definitely has given me a great lifestyle, lots of challenging work, and fun all at the same time. I really hope you and all the wooters enjoy the wine, and given the opportunity, come to visit the winery!

tkastorff


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
jhoofard wrote:If it was the DCV Zin i would have had to have wooted 3! Not a chard lover but i am looking forward to the cab i got yesterday...



Gosh I wanted that Zin too!

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
speedoo wrote:Laura, I wonder if you are familiar with the Generations of Sonoma Abandon Chardonnay. It's one of my favorite whites and I think several other wooters enjoyed it as well.

I ask the question because from your comments and those of others, your chardonnay might be very similar to the Abandon.



Hi speedoo: That's a brand I am not familiar. I do often suggest that my Chardonnay is a red-wine drinker's Chard. I pride myself in being able to get the doubtful red wine drinker to try this wine in my tasting room before moving onto my zins and cabs. Most often I get lots of raised eyebrows and smaking of lips once this juice makes it onto the palate - got to give it a chance to shine!

eileenfh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eileenfh

Love Chard ~ in for two.. add in a few "cool" packs for this hot Texas weather!

speedoo


quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
ladyofwine wrote:Hi speedoo: That's a brand I am not familiar. I do often suggest that my Chardonnay is a red-wine drinker's Chard. I pride myself in being able to get the doubtful red wine drinker to try this wine in my tasting room before moving onto my zins and cabs. Most often I get lots of raised eyebrows and smaking of lips once this juice makes it onto the palate - got to give it a chance to shine!



Thanks Laura. When you (and others) say "red-wine drinker's Chard", it's a phrase I don't relate to very well, possibly because I was never really a red-only wine drinker. If you (or anyone, really) could expand on that phrase, I'd appreciate it.

olabner


quality posts: 0 Private Messages olabner

Ok...so I promised a quasi-LabRat report on this wine. Here you go.

Enjoyed this wine with a blackened chicken mozzarella dish my wife makes quite well. Laura, thanks for the tips no dishes, but I'm allergic to shrimp (I know, the horror...), and we didn't have everything on hand for the chicken dish we recommended. That said, the blackened chicken was a nice alternative. On to the wine...

Everything about this wine reminds me more of a Sauvignon Blanc than a Chardonnay.

The color is quite light; the look is very crisp and clean.

Nose: It is a bold nose, but again, not your typical Chardonnay. I was thinking Savignon Blanc right away (and really throughout this wine drinking experience). It's quite fruity. Notes of green apple, and, to me, loads of citrus. Perhaps grapefruit? Way, way, way (and I mean WAY) in the back, I almost caught a hint of pineapple, and then it was gone.

Taste: Lots of sharp citrus here, and again with the green apple. A bit of vanilla here, but not a hint of butter or oak (and maybe I'm odd, but I like butter and oak in my Chardonnay). The only thing about this wine that seemed more in the Chardonnay vein than the Sauvignon Blanc style was the mouth feel. This Chardonnay coats your mouth nicely and lingers. It definitely has a staying power that lighter Saugnon Blancs often seem to lack.

My conclusion: Not a typical Chardonnay. Chardonnay is my favorite white varietal (though I am red man), but I prefer my Chardonnay with a bit more butter and oak. This, however, is a very nice wine. Pairs well with food. You could, however, drink this wine and alone and it would perform admirably that way as well.

The only word of caution here is this: I found this wine very easy to drink. Maybe it's the heat, but I could easily have guzzled this wine before the alcohol caught up to me.

Final word: At about $15 per bottle shipped to your door, this wine is a steal. Don't walk, RUN to the big yellow button.

~Fin~

speedoo


quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
olabner wrote:Ok...so I promised a quasi-LabRat report on this wine. Here you go.

Enjoyed this wine with a blackened chicken mozzarella dish my wife makes quite well. Laura, thanks for the tips no dishes, but I'm allergic to shrimp (I know, the horror...), and we didn't have everything on hand for the chicken dish we recommended. That said, the blackened chicken was a nice alternative. On to the wine...

Everything about this wine reminds me more of a Sauvignon Blanc than a Chardonnay.

The color is quite light; the look is very crisp and clean.

Nose: It is a bold nose, but again, not your typical Chardonnay. I was thinking Savignon Blanc right away (and really throughout this wine drinking experience). It's quite fruity. Notes of green apple, and, to me, loads of citrus. Perhaps grapefruit? Way, way, way (and I mean WAY) in the back, I almost caught a hint of pineapple, and then it was gone.

Taste: Lots of sharp citrus here, and again with the green apple. A bit of vanilla here, but not a hint of butter or oak (and maybe I'm odd, but I like butter and oak in my Chardonnay). The only thing about this wine that seemed more in the Chardonnay vein than the Sauvignon Blanc style was the mouth feel. This Chardonnay coats your mouth nicely and lingers. It definitely has a staying power that lighter Saugnon Blancs often seem to lack.

My conclusion: Not a typical Chardonnay. Chardonnay is my favorite white varietal (though I am red man), but I prefer my Chardonnay with a bit more butter and oak. This, however, is a very nice wine. Pairs well with food. You could, however, drink this wine and alone and it would perform admirably that way as well.

The only word of caution here is this: I found this wine very easy to drink. Maybe it's the heat, but I could easily have guzzled this wine before the alcohol caught up to me.

Final word: At about $15 per bottle shipped to your door, this wine is a steal. Don't walk, RUN to the big yellow button.

~Fin~



GREAT report. Very, very helpful.... many thanks.

dan0aab


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dan0aab

Laura Zahtila Vineyards Napa Valley Chardonnay – Three Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: wootvirgin69
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Last wooter to woot: dan0aab



In for 1. I knew I wouldn't hold out long on an offer at this price point.

I blame olabner for my early collapse.

MaxAlex


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
ladyofwine wrote:Thanks for the kind words. I do love what I do, the products I make and the people I work with - living in Calistoga definitely has given me a great lifestyle, lots of challenging work, and fun all at the same time. I really hope you and all the wooters enjoy the wine, and given the opportunity, come to visit the winery!



Hello again

When I hear the descriptions of your Chard they remind me of the 2004 Stony Hill.
Any thoughts from you in comparison. Stony Hill is one of my favorite chards. Good people and just down the road from you. Next time I am out from the midwest I will make your winery one of my stops.

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
NYSteve wrote:Waited until today to pull the trigger on the Cab, and then... gone. Is this the 1st time something has sold out before the labrat reports rolled in? That'll teach a lurker to hold out. I'd have gone in for two.

I have too much chard (way more than we drink), but this looks like it might be to my liking. It will probably sell out before I make up my mind here.

Too bad the woot price can't be honored on the winemaker website; I might put together a combo of Cab/Chard.



Laura did offer a 10% discount to wooters for orders at her website.

x-post from the cab offering:

ladyofwine wrote:I didn't see it in the product offering but I, Laura Zahtila, will honor a 10% discount on bottles purchased from my website if your mention WINEWOOT in the message area of your order!!!


And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
IanMorr wrote:Yep, this is the first.



Your life is about to change forever...... for the better.

I still can say this, even though mine are now sullen teenagers. Congratulations.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bbombay


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bbombay

Couldn't resist, in for 2!

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
ladyofwine wrote:Thanks for the kind words. I do love what I do, the products I make and the people I work with - living in Calistoga definitely has given me a great lifestyle, lots of challenging work, and fun all at the same time. I really hope you and all the wooters enjoy the wine, and given the opportunity, come to visit the winery!



The envy meter just hit eleven.

I'm in, as I knew I would be - can't wait for it to get here. All the descriptions tell me this butter-averse drinker's gonna love it!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

JanaDahlen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JanaDahlen
NYSteve wrote:Waited until today to pull the trigger on the Cab, and then... gone. Is this the 1st time something has sold out before the labrat reports rolled in? That'll teach a lurker to hold out. I'd have gone in for two.

I have too much chard (way more than we drink), but this looks like it might be to my liking. It will probably sell out before I make up my mind here.

Too bad the woot price can't be honored on the winemaker website; I might put together a combo of Cab/Chard.



They have started doing two offerings/week. So the first deal ends at midnight on Wednesday, and the new one begins. It makes it harder to hold off for Labrat reviews, but it's nice to get a couple options in during the week.

w.w: 19 s.w: 12 w: 4 k.w:2

MaxAlex


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
JanaDahlen wrote:They have started doing two offerings/week. So the first deal ends at midnight on Wednesday, and the new one begins. It makes it harder to hold off for Labrat reviews, but it's nice to get a couple options in during the week.



I'm new to the WOOT universe and have bought each opportunity offered to date (5 times). It's great to try things that we can't get easily here in the midwest. Thanks for opening up our eyes, nose, and tongues to mostly tasty treats. Two times a week is great!

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
MaxAlex wrote:I'm new to the WOOT universe and have bought each opportunity offered to date (5 times). It's great to try things that we can't get easily here in the midwest. Thanks for opening up our eyes, nose, and tongues to mostly tasty treats. Two times a week is great!



The honeymoon will be over soon enough...not with the site or the community...but with buying every offer. We all hit that wall eventually. Usually due to space issues or the "stink eye" from spouses/significant others/co-workers/UPS drivers/etc.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.