Volunteer Moderator

Laura Zahtila Vineyards Napa Valley Chardonnay – Three Pack
$39.99 + $7.00 shipping

condition:
White
product:
3 2006 Napa Valley Chardonnay

Link above to CT.

...so is the officially the worst kept wine.woot secret since Gary debuted the Monkey Prize the Friday before it launched?

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

No hard feelings Laura@thebestproductdescriptionfromthebestwineryparticipationevah!

In for these as well as the first offer!

Cesare

quality posts: 1561 Private Messages Cesare

Wow this was a surprise!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

wootvirgin69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootvirgin69

First sucker: wootvirgin69
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Dude.....sweeeeeeeet.

ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
Corrado wrote:Laura Zahtila Vineyards Napa Valley Chardonnay – Three Pack
$39.99 + $7.00 shipping

condition:
White
product:

WD and I should have switched it up with Zinfandel instead - that woot have got your attention - hehe!

Link above to CT.

...so is the officially the worst kept wine.woot secret since Gary debuted the Monkey Prize the Friday before it launched?

wootvirgin69

Laura, give us the low-down on this Chard! I went in on it quickly, as you can see...just hoping it's not a super oaky butter bomb!!

slaktm11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slaktm11

Wow...didn't see this coming, and it's a pleasant surprise.

Laura, if you don't mind answering a small question...I'm very new to wine, virtually my only experience has been a $6 bottle of Cab that I did not particularly enjoy, though it was quite delicious in/on chicken the night after i opened the bottle...

I know your wine is in a whole different class, but all the same, would you recommend this Chard to a wine "beginner" with an undeveloped palate? I don't want to wind up wasting your creations because I don't know what to look for in a wine.

Also, will this cellar well? Odds of me getting through three bottles anytime in the near future is quite slim, but I can certainly see myself being proud to bring out a 2006 Zahtila in 5 or 6 years if it'll store well.

7/19/2007 - Gourmet Coffee Cafe Single Serving Coffeemaker with Free Coffee - 1
7/12/2007 - Random Crap - 3
11/17/2006 - Ridiculously Large Universal Remote Control - 1
11/16/2006 - Logitech Cordless Action Controller for PlayStation2 – 2 Pack - 1
9/7/2006 - Saitek Eclipse II Illuminated Keyboard - 1

ladyofwine

slaktm11 wrote:Wow...didn't see this coming, and it's a pleasant surprise.

Laura, if you don't mind answering a small question...I'm very new to wine, virtually my only experience has been a $6 bottle of Cab that I did not particularly enjoy, though it was quite delicious in/on chicken the night after i opened the bottle...

I know your wine is in a whole different class, but all the same, would you recommend this Chard to a wine "beginner" with an undeveloped palate? I don't want to wind up wasting your creations because I don't know what to look for in a wine.

Also, will this cellar well? Odds of me getting through three bottles anytime in the near future is quite slim, but I can certainly see myself being proud to bring out a 2006 Zahtila in 5 or 6 years if it'll store well.

It's all about the wine you like. This wine is lighter, crisper and brighter than many Chardonnay's out there - almost like a Sauvignon Blanc. It's a great summer wine, stands alone (or with a woot-monkey hugging it), or pairs well with food. It absolutely will cellar well. It's been barrel aged so there is a touch of roundness that will continue for the next several years. If you treat it right in the cellar, you won't be disappointed in the years to come. Thanks for asking!

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo
iByron wrote:
The winery web site.
iByron

If you missed it earlier this week.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

slaktm11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slaktm11
ladyofwine wrote:It's all about the wine you like. This wine is lighter, crisper and brighter than many Chardonnay's out there - almost like a Sauvignon Blanc. It's a great summer wine, stands alone (or with a woot-monkey hugging it), or pairs well with food. It absolutely will cellar well. It's been barrel aged so there is a touch of roundness that will continue for the next several years. If you treat it right in the cellar, you won't be disappointed in the years to come. Thanks for asking!

So what you're saying is, there's only one way to find out? :D

7/19/2007 - Gourmet Coffee Cafe Single Serving Coffeemaker with Free Coffee - 1
7/12/2007 - Random Crap - 3
11/17/2006 - Ridiculously Large Universal Remote Control - 1
11/16/2006 - Logitech Cordless Action Controller for PlayStation2 – 2 Pack - 1
9/7/2006 - Saitek Eclipse II Illuminated Keyboard - 1

ladyofwine

wootvirgin69 wrote:Laura, give us the low-down on this Chard! I went in on it quickly, as you can see...just hoping it's not a super oaky butter bomb!!

Just as it says in the wine.woot provided story, this is a crisp, bright style of Chardonnay. It's 100% Chardonnay. Barrel fermented and aged for 7 months. Been in the bottle since April of 2007. I source the fruit from two different vineyards, one in St Helena and one in Napa (near Silverado Country Club). This is my third release of Chardonnay and they have all been made in this style. No buttery, thick style - clean and lovely!

rainydz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rainydz
ladyofwine wrote:It's all about the wine you like. This wine is lighter, crisper and brighter than many Chardonnay's out there - almost like a Sauvignon Blanc. It's a great summer wine, stands alone (or with a woot-monkey hugging it), or pairs well with food. It absolutely will cellar well. It's been barrel aged so there is a touch of roundness that will continue for the next several years. If you treat it right in the cellar, you won't be disappointed in the years to come. Thanks for asking!

mmmm...sounds like my kind of chard! Looking forward to it!

ladyofwine

slaktm11 wrote:So what you're saying is, there's only one way to find out? :D

Join in the fun! It's a smokin' deal!

ladyofwine

Corrado wrote:Laura Zahtila Vineyards Napa Valley Chardonnay – Three Pack
$39.99 + $7.00 shipping

condition:
White
product:

Link above to CT.

(let me try that again)

What would have been really fun is if WD and I could have figured out a way to change up and put my zin out there tonight instead...that would have gotcha!

Princessjolie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Princessjolie

I already bought 2 of the cab, how could I not buy the much anticipated Chard. Even without that 2 dollar discount its a great deal.

ETA: I am hoping there won't be any more delivery snafu's with the UPS man and the lazy folks down in receiving. I should have had the Cab tonight but fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Last wooter to woot: Princessjolie

Cesare

quality posts: 1561 Private Messages Cesare
ladyofwine wrote:Just as it says in the wine.woot provided story, this is a crisp, bright style of Chardonnay. It's 100% Chardonnay. Barrel fermented and aged for 7 months. Been in the bottle since April of 2007. I source the fruit from two different vineyards, one in St Helena and one in Napa (near Silverado Country Club). This is my third release of Chardonnay and they have all been made in this style. No buttery, thick style - clean and lovely!

So this is last year's release? I see you have the 2007 out already. What would the cellar life be on this one?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

wootvirgin69

ladyofwine wrote:Just as it says in the wine.woot provided story, this is a crisp, bright style of Chardonnay. It's 100% Chardonnay. Barrel fermented and aged for 7 months. Been in the bottle since April of 2007. I source the fruit from two different vineyards, one in St Helena and one in Napa (near Silverado Country Club). This is my third release of Chardonnay and they have all been made in this style. No buttery, thick style - clean and lovely!

Sorry Laura, I should have been a bit more detailed in my comment/quesiton. I'm not a big Cab fan, but followed the thread to see what you had to say about your personal style and such. As a result, I was waiting for this to pop up. I live in NoVA, where there are a lot of overpowering oaky chards, but love the really nice clean, crisp chards (mostly steel). Really looking forward to receiving this, as it indeed does sound like a great summer wine, and it's damn hot here!!

ladyofwine

Princessjolie wrote:I already bought 2 of the cab, how could I not buy the much anticipated Chard. Even without that 2 dollar discount its a great deal.

Last wooter to woot: Princessjolie

Thanks Princessjolie! I appreciate the support. Goodnight to all, I'll chat with you tomorrow! Happy wine.wooting!

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Cross-posted from another thread:

"The more I have been thinking about it, my role as a labrat is bumming me out. I feel badly that I did not get to my bottle of cab until this evening and by then it had sold out.

I hope WD and the others understand. I guess this can happen when a) you have a new offer mid-week and b) you sell out quickly "

If I could make a suggestion re. Labrats... if people are not certain they will be available to a) receive, b) taste and c) report back to the woot community on labratted bottles in a very timely manner, they should not order until after the labrat window has closed at 10 AM. If everyone does this, the precious labrat bottles will go only to people who can actually taste and report on the wines by the second evening of the offering, when buying decisions can still be made.

I don't think this is too much to expect, in return for a free bottle of wine, shipped at WD's expense overnight.

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

Maybe I can make up for my failure at LabRat duties during the week's first offering, by posting in here...

Laura makes a great wine! You should buy it!

In reality, I'm not sure this is my style of white. I like 'em with body, like an Alsace pinot blanc. Anyone care to convince me that I should pony up for this one?

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
speedoo wrote:Cross-posted from another thread:

"The more I have been thinking about it, my role as a labrat is bumming me out. I feel badly that I did not get to my bottle of cab until this evening and by then it had sold out.

I hope WD and the others understand. I guess this can happen when a) you have a new offer mid-week and b) you sell out quickly "

If I could make a suggestion re. Labrats... if people are not certain they will be available to a) receive, b) taste and c) report back to the woot community on labratted bottles in a very timely manner, they should not order until after the labrat window has closed at 10 AM. If everyone does this, the precious labrat bottles will go only to people who can actually taste and report on the wines by the second evening of the offering, when buying decisions can still be made.

I don't think this is too much to expect, in return for a free bottle of wine, shipped at WD's expense overnight.

that is asking alot considering no one knows they get it. how long do you wait for a bottle to show up? this process would go far better if people were notified on monday so they can wait and expect it. why wait all day for something that might come?

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

Laura - I know you mis labeled this a Carneros region chard earlier, and on your site. If I am a huge fan of Carneros region wines, how does yours compare? Similar in taste and structure? I am not a chard fan overall, but I brought a couple home from a trip to Napa, and they were from Carneros sourced grapes. thx!

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
clayfu wrote:that is asking alot considering no one knows they get it. how long do you wait for a bottle to show up? this process would go far better if people were notified on monday so they can wait and expect it. why wait all day for something that might come?

agreed 100%

speedo's post was way too much to expect of hundreds of potential wooters. sending an email to the lucky chosen few does not ruin the event and element of surprise

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
tkastorff wrote:agreed 100%

speedo's post was way too much to expect of hundreds of potential wooters. sending an email to the lucky chosen few does not ruin the event and element of surprise

san diego pride!

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
clayfu wrote:that is asking alot considering no one knows they get it. how long do you wait for a bottle to show up? this process would go far better if people were notified on monday so they can wait and expect it. why wait all day for something that might come?

I agree 100%. I actually thought of that a while back, but figured WD had already considered it and found it unworkable for whatever reason. After all, it's the obvious solution to a growing problem, now that we have two offers a week, which changes the timing requirements on labratting dramatically.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
speedoo wrote:Cross-posted from another thread:

I know you worded this as a "suggestion," but I am always amused when members of the wine.woot community try to tell WD how to run HIS business. As he explained to me during the recent tour, one of the 3 main things that makes this business work is keeping it simple. Others replying to this have suggested notifying the labrats by email. Apart from "spoiling the surprise," this adds another step to the process.
As for your idea that people should wait to order, anyone who has decided to order should be able to do so whenever it is convenient. Not everyone has convenient internet access 24/7. Hesitating for whatever reason creates the potential for missing out when there is a quick sellout.
I agree that with a shorter weekly window for labrat reporting creates more of a potential for reports being too late to serve their intended purpose, but for the most part, the reports have been timely. Let's not overreact to an occasional snafu.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
ladyofwine wrote:Join in the fun! It's a smokin' deal!

Is it a smoking deal?

Click the link above to find out what kind of deal this really is, and to get CT prices.

(hint: Laura's not lying)

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

ladyofwine wrote:(let me try that again)

What would have been really fun is if WD and I could have figured out a way to change up and put my zin out there tonight instead...that would have gotcha!

That'd've been classic. As much as w.w has lived up to the woot model, we haven't seen as many shenanigans from w.w as on juvie.woot -- that would have counted as far as I am concerned.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

wootvirgin69 wrote:Sorry Laura, I should have been a bit more detailed in my comment/quesiton. I'm not a big Cab fan, but followed the thread to see what you had to say about your personal style and such. As a result, I was waiting for this to pop up. I live in NoVA, where there are a lot of overpowering oaky chards, but love the really nice clean, crisp chards (mostly steel). Really looking forward to receiving this, as it indeed does sound like a great summer wine, and it's damn hot here!!

NoVA you say? You should check out the threads on the NoVA / DC Gathering #6 (Aug 23) and NoVA / DC Gathering #7 (tentative Oct 4) (as should anyone else in the NoVA / DC area who has not already chimed in).

It's always a great time, lots of wine to taste, and a chance to get to know some fellow wooters. #6 has the added special bonus of having no lo less than 7 out of town guests (some coming from as far as Chicago and California to join us).

So check out the threads and join us if you can!

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

cjsiege wrote:Oh, and as a follow-on to the PSA: Laura - thank you so much for volunteering a bottle to come to NoVA/DC #5 back on July 26. At least 2 orders of tomorrow's offering are coming to MY house specifically because of that tasting opportunity. You make one very lovely chard!

And this post has inspired me to order a set, too!

Last wooter to woot: jwhite6114

(that, and the fact that I got my wife to try some Chardonnay last night and, self-avowed-non-wine-drinker that she is not-withstanding, she liked it -- even drank more of it than I did (only cuz I had to return some movies to the Redbox before they charged another night) ... so I am trying to find some others she'll enjoy, too)

CT | | | | | |

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

I'm assuming you are speaking of this picture:

I don't have specific tasting notes from the gathering because they just go in rapid succession, but I do remember liking the chard and wanting to finish the bottle until another unnamed bottle came along. It definitely went well with the chicken kabobs that evening.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis

Wow...seems like a smokin' deal. Right side: Got in for two because I like labs....(Left Side - What??) Right side: And I really don't like whites that much! (Left side - What's going on here??) Right side: By the time the wine gets here it will be at least mid-August. (Left Side: SO??) Right side: Big year for me! (Left side: HUH??) Right side:THE BIG 60!!! And I'm still thinking 30 - wild neighbor party time!!! (Left Side: You old fart...get back in that rockin' chair) Right side: Guess I better get to work, taking daughter to pre-seaason Browns game later. (Left side: Ahhhh, what a nice dad) Right side: Gotta find out why she ain't payin' rent. It's cutting into my woot funding!!!!!

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

First sucker: wootvirgin6

Last wooter to woot: tripgrad

I'm in for 3. As I said in the 'pub, this is very delicious.
If one can't live in CA, then NoVA is the place to be for wine!

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex

Hi Laura

You are one great salesperson. I bought both the cab & the chard based upon your sense of humor and your obvious love of wine: yours & others. I'm looking forward to the deliveries and will try right away. I'm hoping that the wine leads me to become a "friend and Family" member of your club. Have a great day!

Kothoga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kothoga

Ohhh! A clean Chard! I'm in. Labrat? I bet this would go great with my planned salmon florentine and lime spinach salad tomorrow night. ;-)

Last wooter to woot: Kothoga

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

So, here's the thing. Despite all the glowing reviews about this one and the fact that others who don't typically like chards actually enjoy this, I'm still not sure about it. I mean, the Cab didn't take much to talk me into it - CS is my favorite varietal after all (with PS a VERY close second, if not tied at this point). However, I just don't like chards. I would love to give this a TRY, but I don't know that I can actually commit to buying a whole 3-pack just for me, only to find out I just don't like it.

So if there's any Detroiters or DCers or Chicagoans who would like to SPLIT a three-pack with me, PM me and let me know... otherwise, I fear I may have to sit this one out.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

yellowroe

quality posts: 6 Private Messages yellowroe

I bought the cabs on Monday and would buy the Zin mixed with 1 chard but don't like to order just white. Do you think there is a chance another woot will appear this week?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
cheron98 wrote:So if there's any Detroiters or DCers or Chicagoans who would like to SPLIT a three-pack with me, PM me and let me know... otherwise, I fear I may have to sit this one out.

I have a taker. Thanks!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

wootvirgin69

jwhite6114 wrote:NoVA you say? You should check out the threads on the NoVA / DC Gathering #6 (Aug 23) and NoVA / DC Gathering #7 (tentative Oct 4) (as should anyone else in the NoVA / DC area who has not already chimed in).

It's always a great time, lots of wine to taste, and a chance to get to know some fellow wooters. #6 has the added special bonus of having no lo less than 7 out of town guests (some coming from as far as Chicago and California to join us).

So check out the threads and join us if you can!

HA! Funny you should say that, Whitey...I found the Gathering #7 thread early yesterday evening, and posted (grovelled) to see if I could get in on the fun. Thanks so much for pointing that out, hopefully they have room, and I will be accepted into the group (without human sacrifice or other rare form or torture).