zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

Sent off my application today. One of the last varieties that I had that put me over the top was Piedirosso. It was in a wine made by Mastroberardino (Villa dei Misteri), whose claim to fame is that they are the single wine appellation in Pompeii.

Z

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

I did the same. 102 varietals!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Congrats you two!!

And keep track, because 200 (Double Century) is your next goal!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

zmanonice

MarkDaSpark wrote:And keep track, because 200 (Double Century) is your next goal!!!

I actually have 15-20 more varieties that I need to do additional research on. With each country using a different name for a variety, it is sometimes tough to tell whether you have tasted before. Also, there are grapes like Symphony that Scott Harvey uses in his One Last Kiss (a man made cross between 2 grapes) that doesn't show up on the checklist.

Z

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
zmanonice wrote:I actually have 15-20 more varieties that I need to do additional research on. With each country using a different name for a variety, it is sometimes tough to tell whether you have tasted before. Also, there are grapes like Symphony that Scott Harvey uses in his One Last Kiss (a man made cross between 2 grapes) that doesn't show up on the checklist.

Z

I listed Symphony.

I have been using the Muse database to get varietals for the wine century application. That is why he created this. May not be 100% accepted by Wine Century, but it does a good job of identifying common names, etc.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
zmanonice wrote:I actually have 15-20 more varieties that I need to do additional research on. With each country using a different name for a variety, it is sometimes tough to tell whether you have tasted before. Also, there are grapes like Symphony that Scott Harvey uses in his One Last Kiss (a man made cross between 2 grapes) that doesn't show up on the checklist.

Z

Check out the links in this post of mine earlier.

Links to a spreadsheet/database of varietals. But you still have to put them in the DeLong spreadsheet.

Edit: Darn you bowtie!!!

Edit2: Err, darn you, PB.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Check out the links in this post of mine earlier.

Links to a spreadsheet/database of varietals. But you still have to put them in the DeLong spreadsheet.

Edit: Darn you bowtie!!!

And that is most likely where I got the site in the first place.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Indigenous, Macedonian varietal Vranec on CW until 6 PST tonight for $8.30/btl. FS on 6. Received 90 from RP, FWIW.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

zmanonice

Just noticed that my post was 6 months ago for my application. I know it's a fun thing, but does it take 6 months to get the certificate?

Z

polarbear22

zmanonice wrote:Just noticed that my post was 6 months ago for my application. I know it's a fun thing, but does it take 6 months to get the certificate?

Z

Not fir me. I suggest you contact them. May be lost.

My Cellar

klezman

zmanonice wrote:Just noticed that my post was 6 months ago for my application. I know it's a fun thing, but does it take 6 months to get the certificate?

Z

Yeah, I had the same thing happen. I tried sending an email about 2-3 months ago and heard nothing. Complete radio silence. I wonder if they're kaput.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit
klezman wrote:Yeah, I had the same thing happen. I tried sending an email about 2-3 months ago and heard nothing. Complete radio silence. I wonder if they're kaput.

Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!!! I hope not! We are I think 1 away from sending ours in and were hoping that with 2 big tasting events in the next few days (Wally's Bordeaux extravaganza and Santa Barbara spectacular) we might get lucky and find at least 1 unusual varietal.

zmanonice

klezman wrote:Yeah, I had the same thing happen. I tried sending an email about 2-3 months ago and heard nothing. Complete radio silence. I wonder if they're kaput.

They are not kaput!

Got my certificate in the mail today after applying last July. As of 2/5 they have 1,283 members. Veni Vino Vici!

Z

klezman

zmanonice wrote:They are not kaput!

Got my certificate in the mail today after applying last July. As of 2/5 they have 1,283 members. Veni Vino Vici!

Z

Ditto! Although somehow they got me as a doppel member. I'm not there yet, but I'll just have to make sure I earn it.

klezman

On that topic of earning doppel membership - Garagiste tonight is offering a wine made from a grape called Gamay de Bouze. I asked for a bottle, and seems like a slam dunk new varietal for those needing more choices.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Bump.

New varietal (to me) on Cinderella Wine right now:

Lacrima

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Bump.

New varietal (to me) on Cinderella Wine right now:

Lacrima

I've had a higher level bottling from the same winery, courtesy of Garagiste. It's awesomeness.

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen

Nero d’Avola on WTSO

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
chipgreen wrote:Nero d’Avola on WTSO

Have not had the Firriato but I think Nero D'Avola is way underrated as a daily drinker.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson