jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
MalcolmPX wrote:Last time a woman winemaker came through these parts slinging Napa Cab it was Corison and I was subsequently Richarded over by my wootlegger who kept saying he'd pick them up from UPS and let them get sent back .. twice! Then I missed the woot-off.

I'm not missing out this time. My minute of fame starts now.

Laura Zahtila Vineyards Napa Cab Three-Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 10.077s

Last wooter to woot: MalcolmPX

Malcolm PX

Malcolm! Sorry to hear about your wootlegging probs with the Corison. If you ever need to distribute the wootlegging out, and don't need the juice in a hurry, you know we're all around to help out. Cheron's got 2/3 a case in my cellar right now.

Just let me know (and I am sure I am not the only one).

CT | | | | | |

olabner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages olabner
Winedavid39 wrote:in a word: no

Hey...doesn't hurt to ask. I wasn't sure if there was a difference in ordering one set of each or two sets of one, but it looks like there is. Anyway, ordering both only costs me an extra $7, so we'll see.

LabRat notes on Thursday's anticipated offering coming tonight after dinner...

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
andyduncan wrote:Unfortunately our bottle was badly corked. ... I apologize for failing miserably.

Hey you didn't fail on your ratting duties. You can't control corking Just bad luck on that. Thanks for letting us know!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
andyduncan wrote:I know! FWIW The cork taint was WAY worse than on the bottle at Gun Lock Bun Shoe.

ARRGHHH .. that inanity (is that a word?) does not get any better with repetition.

iceeblue7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7
bkarney wrote:Hey Laura,

It doesn't appear that the discount is working yet....or did i screw something up (very possible )? Also, how is it shipped? Thank you!

Forgive me fellow wooters but I do not seem able to find the initial post regarding a discount from this winery. Can anyone point me to the post, as I think I would be interested.

Sorry if it is right under my nose and I missed it.

cheron98

iceeblue7 wrote:Forgive me fellow wooters but I do not seem able to find the initial post regarding a discount from this winery. Can anyone point me to the post, as I think I would be interested.

Sorry if it is right under my nose and I missed it.

Here you go... from page 6.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
woopdedoo wrote:ARRGHHH .. that inanity (is that a word?) does not get any better with repetition.

i could not agree more, but you gotta admit that it was more than acceptable when it was communicated by one our good-lookin' guides, especially during that BUN part.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

rlrct

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rlrct

This is a hard offer to resist based on all the commentary so far, but the lack of lab rat reports is making it easier ...

Only need to keep away from the big yellow button for another 12 hours.

iceeblue7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7
cheron98 wrote:Here you go... from page 6.

Thank you sir your a gentleman and a scholar.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
themostrighteous wrote:i could not agree more, but you gotta admit that it was more than acceptable when it was communicated by one our good-lookin' guides, especially during that BUN part.

Actually, I was a little embarassed for her.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
rlrct wrote:This is a hard offer to resist based on all the commentary so far, but the lack of lab rat reports is making it easier ...

Only need to keep away from the big yellow button for another 12 hours.

Well, it's just more like the wine.woots of yore, before the rat infestation, when the Men were Men, the tumbleweeds rolled, the Sheriff was the law, and we had to take a chance on the wine armed with only WDs implicit recommendation, the commentary from the winemaker, the tasting notes, and the specs.

Besides, if you were waiting for me to say something profound about this wine, you'll likely have been disappointed with my review anyway :-). I'm not a professional.

I think by the numbers alone this looks like a good offer. I'm not sad at all about my purchase. I think the bits of the wine that poked through the cork taint pointed to something worthwhile, and at $22/bottle to your door, I think it's a pretty short fence to hop off of.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

cheron98

iceeblue7 wrote:Thank you sir your a gentleman and a scholar.

I ain't no sir

ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
dkralston wrote:Dear Lady.
Do we have a name and history of the winemaker? (I apologize if this is an old or dumb question)

My history has 17 years of hi-teching in it. I moved to Northern CA in 1992 chasing Silicon Valley. I'd been hooked on wine for years. Started looking for real estate in Napa to call my second home and stumbled across a small winery - changed my life. I've got help in the cellar to keep all things clicking along, but ultimately I decide on the varietals, style, and vineyards. With the exception of my hospitality manager and myself, all my help is contracted and parttime. Only producing 3000 to 4000 cases gives me all sorts of moonlighters. My website has much more detail on all of the above so the above is sort of the highlights.

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 6 Private Messages LoonBoarder
bhodilee wrote:Since we're quoting people this week:

Tis better to beg forgivness, than ask permission

Who said that? or some such variation of that?

Rear Adm. Grace Hopper

[edit: And I see I was beaten to the punch, long ago. Didn't scan for "Hopper" in previous posts. Mea Culpa. Carry on.]

Dude... wait, what?

ladyofwine

ltraffis wrote:[quote postid="2484647" user="ladyofwine"]did I mention I have a lovely golden labrador named Zoe? quote]

Labs are great! My brother had a black english lab. Neighbors across the street just got a golden. I had a mix of setter, wiemer, and lab. She was very smart and very loyal. Protected the kids and loved the field. They have a lot of energy when young, very laid back later. Since you barter, I'll send bones for wine :-) Ahhh, it's getting late...brain wave short

I've been very fortunate to have an English labrador. She's always been pretty calm which has made her a fantastic greeter. She trots down to the parking lot and leads folks up to the tasting room, usually with one of her toys in her mouth, it's really quite amusing to see and people love it. The only time she get ferocious is when the racoons come out looking for food. Having a dog makes the wine better, in my book!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ladyofwine wrote:I've been very fortunate to have an English labrador. She's always been pretty calm which has made her a fantastic greeter. She trots down to the parking lot and leads folks up to the tasting room, usually with one of her toys in her mouth, it's really quite amusing to see and people love it. The only time she get ferocious is when the racoons come out looking for food. Having a dog makes the wine better, in my book!

Is your dog in the book on your website?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jwhite6114

ladyofwine wrote:I've been very fortunate to have an English labrador. She's always been pretty calm which has made her a fantastic greeter. She trots down to the parking lot and leads folks up to the tasting room, usually with one of her toys in her mouth, it's really quite amusing to see and people love it. The only time she get ferocious is when the racoons come out looking for food. Having a dog makes the wine better, in my book!

It certainly seemed to help many of the wineries we visited on the RPM, tour, as well. And I think the vines help keep the dogs mellow.

CT | | | | | |

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
andyduncan wrote: I think by the numbers alone this looks like a good offer. I'm not sad at all about my purchase. I think the bits of the wine that poked through the cork taint pointed to something worthwhile, and at $22/bottle to your door, I think it's a pretty short fence to hop off of.

Well stated advice AD...our taste buds are all a little unique, just like fingerprints. Just have to look in the wallet and wine bin to decide whether or not to procure. It's not like buying a car or house. It's like an experiment! Even if the Labrats give it great reviews, you could (probably won't) hate it. If you don't like the juice, just give it out as a gift to someone you didn't really want to see in the first place.

"It is better to have wooted and lost, than to have never wooted".

ladyofwine

bhodilee wrote:Is your dog in the book on your website?

Absolutely, pages 20 and 21. Her mom and brother are also in the book, that's how the writers found us. It's a great coffee table book full of very happy dogs.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

LoonBoarder wrote:Rear Adm. Grace Hopper

[edit: And I see I was beaten to the punch, long ago. Didn't scan for "Hopper" in previous posts. Mea Culpa. Carry on.]

I had never heard of this amazing American. God, i love this place.

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

Last wooter to woot: me

tonythib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonythib

This just cracked us up. My wife only had a vague memmory of visiting your winery until you mentioned your dog greeter. He ran right up to us with a toy in his mouth and showed us the way to the tasting room.

ChrisRM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisRM

so what's the deal with the shipping coupon? I signed up the other day, did not receive the newsletter and sent an email to the coupon address as specfied in the blog with no response. Can anyone help a wino and new wooter out?

mep19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mep19

I'm in

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 29 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
coynedj wrote:My taste buds would love it, but my wallet sure wouldn't. I can resist anything but temptation, to quote Oscar Wilde (I think).

You are correct. Act 1 of Lady Windermere's fan, to be specific.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ChrisRM wrote:so what's the deal with the shipping coupon? I signed up the other day, did not receive the newsletter and sent an email to the coupon address as specfied in the blog with no response. Can anyone help a wino and new wooter out?

a "snapshot" was taken for all wine.wooters as of August 1, 08. if you requested a coupon after that date, you will be eliible for a coupon the next go around i.e. August of 09.

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
mep19 wrote:I'm in

Maybe you made the button bounce............

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

jwhite6114

smlauren wrote:Maybe you made the button bounce............

Nope -- I did. It weren't a bouncin', I bit, and now it's hoppin' up and down.

Last wooter to woot: jwhite6114

CT | | | | | |

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
smlauren wrote:Maybe you made the button bounce............

Oh no, not again. Damn u boucing button... Last wooter to woot: bkarney

CT

bhodilee

Stupid bouncing button. I had done so well lately conserving funds and the bounce nailed me. Got me yesterday on juvie also. I am incapable of ignoring things that bounce.

Since the cat is out of the bag so to speak can we just move right into the Chard when this sells out?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

jwhite6114

bhodilee wrote:Stupid bouncing button. I had done so well lately conserving funds and the bounce nailed me. Got me yesterday on juvie also. I am incapable of ignoring things that bounce.

I was hoping to see some labrat reports (especially from AndyDuncan as I know he and I tried some similar things recently), but was fairly well sold already. Did some checking, and decided to go for it -- now glad I did as it may not last for any labrat reports tonight.

CT | | | | | |

bhodilee

jwhite6114 wrote:I was hoping to see some labrat reports (especially from AndyDuncan as I know he and I tried some similar things recently), but was fairly well sold already. Did some checking, and decided to go for it -- now glad I did as it may not last for any labrat reports tonight.

Kinda my thought as well, I did hold to one since I may order the Chard depending on price. Do we need to rethink wine church commandments now that we're going to twice a week?

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
jwhite6114 wrote:I was hoping to see some labrat reports (especially from AndyDuncan as I know he and I tried some similar things recently), but was fairly well sold already. Did some checking, and decided to go for it -- now glad I did as it may not last for any labrat reports tonight.

Same here.

bhodilee wrote:Kinda my thought as well, I did hold to one since I may order the Chard depending on price. Do we need to rethink wine church commandments now that we're going to twice a week?

x2.

You know you want to buy when a post about a bouncing button sends you into a mild panic.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

rlrct

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rlrct

Bloody Bouncing Button ...

Last wooter to woot: rlrct

DonaldWilliams

Winedavid39 wrote:Dude.... that vacuums.

The filters even get you!?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

shh64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shh64
jwhite6114 wrote:Nope -- I did. It weren't a bouncin', I bit, and now it's hoppin' up and down.

Last wooter to woot: jwhite6114

I am out of the country without time to read much on the site about this so wasn't going to go in, then I see that you ordered, so had to go in.

Last wooter to woot: shh64

cheron98

bhodilee wrote:Kinda my thought as well, I did hold to one since I may order the Chard depending on price. Do we need to rethink wine church commandments now that we're going to twice a week?

Well now, it says Thou shalt woot monthly and the number of thy woots shall be two. It doesn't say that it must be two of the same offering. Just that you have two woots monthly. So I think we're ok

DonaldWilliams

themostrighteous wrote:i could not agree more, but you gotta admit that it was more than acceptable when it was communicated by one our good-lookin' guides, especially during that BUN part.

Agreed! But since my SWMBO was right there, I had to be a bit circumspect about noticing.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Ok, so here's the thing about wine.woot:

Last night and this morning I've been going back and forth with Laura in PMs trying to figure out a way to get a bottle of this to replace the corked Lab Rat bottle. Javadrinker pipes in and says he can pick up a bottle in Orange and bring it about half way, not to drink it, mind you, but to courier it to me. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to go down to get it (I'm going to see Eddie Izzard tonight, yay).

Meanwhile Laura's tracking down distributors, and we're trying to find a place that has it that I can get to during the day.

I just got a call from Laura and she put a bottle at will call at a shipping house more or less near my office. I'm going to go pick it up at lunch. The race is now on to see if I can swish and spit before this thing sells out.

Where else would this kind of thing even happen?

I'm floored. Really. Hats off to Laura, WD, Java and all the wine.woot fanatics that make this place about way more than just cheap wine.

EDIT: And she did all this, knowing damn well the thing was going to sell out anyway.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

DonaldWilliams

UPS guy knocks on door, hands me a box of wine. First time in memory I have no wine.woot deliveries pending, and it lasts exactly 23 minutes. The bouncing button and the unassailable logic of the fellow rpm tour-ists pushed me off the fence.

EDIT: The no pending deliveries doesn't reflect the 4 case delivery from the tour. WD, any idea on the timing of that shipping? No hurry at all, just curious.