tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
cheron98 wrote:I do know that the esteemed Master Loweeel gave his stamp of approval on this one, and his take on chards in general is, and I quote, "BLECH!" He endorses this one though. So if that's any bearing on you...

yeah, looking at her site, this Chard does have Carneros grapes, which is good and bad.

good for us (if you have not had a chard from Carneros you will soon understand)

bad for wallet

CT also has a couple solid reviews

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

Cesare

quality posts: 1643 Private Messages Cesare
cheron98 wrote:I do know that the esteemed Master Loweeel gave his stamp of approval on this one, and his take on chards in general is, and I quote, "BLECH!" He endorses this one though. So if that's any bearing on you...

The Buena Vista chard we had on the rpm tour was Carneros and everybody loved it. Actually all their wines we tried were Carneros and we loved all of them. Their PN especially.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
tkastorff wrote:actually this could help, there are a lot of people that don't drink Chard. The only Chard I have ever enjoyed is from Carneros (Rombauer, Frank Family, others). So I might up my order for the Cab to more than I bought. Hence you make more money. Might be a smart idea actually to let us know what is coming next. I know that is anti-thesis to the woot theme, but...

:: Laura :: you said your Chard is not buttery, where is it sourced from? Tell me Carneros and I will buy 2 sets .... if not, I'll wait for labrat words

At the risk of going on Triple Secret Probation...it's a combination of fruit from two vineyards, one in St. Helena and one in Napa, both owned by Beaucanon. I wish I could have said Carneros, but it's the other side of Napa...I hope the labrats like it!

ladyofwine

tkastorff wrote:yeah, looking at her site, this Chard does have Carneros grapes, which is good and bad.

good for us (if you have not had a chard from Carneros you will soon understand)

bad for wallet

CT also has a couple solid reviews

Me thinks I have a typo in my tech note...that will change very quickly. Sorry to have misled, but it's really Napa appellation fruit, not Carneros. My bad.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Well, well, well. What has two thumbs and likes Cab?

Ok, so that's more of a visual gag.

Nonetheless. I have been selected as La Brat, so PencilThief and I (and whoever else we can round up) will be providing tasting notes later today...

Thanks Double-ya Dee!

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
ladyofwine wrote:Me thinks I have a typo in my tech note...that will change very quickly. Sorry to have misled, but it's really Napa appellation fruit, not Carneros. My bad.

bummer! your site does say "sourced from a combination of vineyards in St. Helena and Carneros in Napa Valley"

dang, had me all excited .... thanks for being honest with the correction, however

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

andyduncan

JOATMON wrote:Jeez, that old urban legend.

Yes, she did find a moth between two relay contacts, and yes, she did tape said dead moth into the log book for the computer. But her annotation for the entry made it clear that "bug" was already being used to describe an error in computing, and that this was the first instance of a literal bug in computing.

PencilThief (and some of our clients, though I hope not many) would claim that I invented bugs, or at least perfected the art.

marekny7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marekny7
andyduncan wrote:Maybe that's an idea for a side-deal: wines from the same winery as the main woot, but in limited quantities relative to the main offering. As wine.woot keeps getting bigger, and the cases sold per week go up, it might be a way to continue having some of the low-volume production wines we've been lucky to get in the past.

This is great idea, to be able to buy a high end bottle or two at the same time as the regular wine.woot offer.

CT

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart
marekny7 wrote:This is great idea, to be able to buy a high end bottle or two at the same time as the regular wine.woot offer.

Shipped together? At a Wootish shipping rate?

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

marekny7 wrote:This is great idea, to be able to buy a high end bottle or two at the same time as the regular wine.woot offer.

Good idea, but i'm struggling to visualize a smooth (not costly) way of doing this.

We'll look at it, but don't count on it (connecting shipping anyway).

andyduncan

Preview, tasting notes forthcoming.

cmwsr71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmwsr71

Is this one any good?

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo
andyduncan wrote:Preview, tasting notes forthcoming.

Alright, Andy, it's been almost an hour.
We know you're sitting there basking in the warm afterglow.
Let's hear some of your words of wisdom!

Cesare

quality posts: 1643 Private Messages Cesare

Congrats fellow rpm tour-ist! Waiting patiently for the notes, need to know whether to up my order or not especially since 1 of my 3 bottles are already allocated. Can't have my cellar go below 200 bottles. Nope.

Edit: Oh wait, it's only Tuesday. No rush then, carry on with your tasting.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Winedavid39 wrote:Good idea, but i'm struggling to visualize a smooth (not costly) way of doing this.

If it was the occasional offering and the vineyard wasn't horribly far you could force people to purchase same day and mention their woot user name for the vineyard purchase. Then you could compare the two spreadsheets at the end of the day and hold delivery for those that bought both until you could get the more expensive wine from the winery after the offering. This would create quite a bit more work for you, but it could work. You'd have to figure out a new profit sharing system between you and the winery though. In fact, this sounds wonderfully complicated. Maybe just do like Armida if the winery wants to offer it up and if they want to offer a break on shipping so be it.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

So I had Sirloin for dinner with grilled zucchini and green beans. The wine I had was decent enough, not really a food wine. During the whole course of the meal I kept wishing I had this cab, which is odd since I've never had it. I think I'll be ordering tomorrow for sure.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis
ladyofwine wrote:90 degree heat is only good on grapes in August and kids at the pool. Wine in transit should be very carefully protected as should all wine. No direct sunlight and as little temperature swing as possible.

Hmm, I'm not sure the analogy about road kill makes me smile, unless he's the road kill.

Laura...I sincerely apologize for the poor anaolgy. Never intended as such, just trying to hint that some people can be really harsh with personal info. Noted from your posts that your a seasoned business person (Cisco exp, 10% discount, etc), yet down to earth by opening up and sharing with the woot community, even (Ooops) the next woot. Thanks for the temperature feedback. Wish you could hold the east coast orders back a while , but that's probably out of control. Looks like I stirred some additional responses also. It's great to see individuals like yourself getting noticed for going after your dreams, kicking butt through adversity, and helping forge new frontiers! I'm an aging boomer that realized long ago without a doubt, behind every successful man was a fantastic woman. (Now THAT should bring on more non-wine chatter!!) BACK TO THE WINE...10% is a nice offer, but wooters are use to 40% total deals. Realizing that you can't open the doors and give the higher price point wine away, how about providing a set order amount and increase the discount for serious wine wooters? Restaurants get nice deals, but the Woot community REALLY appreciates a great wine at a must buy price! Laura, the LadyofWine, it's time to move the bar to a higher level!!!!

bhodilee

ltraffis wrote:Laura...I sincerely apologize for the poor anaolgy. Never intended as such, just trying to hint that some people can be really harsh with personal info. Noted from your posts that your a seasoned business person (Cisco exp, 10% discount, etc), yet down to earth by opening up and sharing with the woot community, even (Ooops) the next woot. Thanks for the temperature feedback. Wish you could hold the east coast orders back a while , but that's probably out of control. Looks like I stirred some additional responses also. It's great to see individuals like yourself getting noticed for going after your dreams, kicking butt through adversity, and helping forge new frontiers! I'm an aging boomer that realized long ago without a doubt, behind every successful man was a fantastic woman. (Now THAT should bring on more non-wine chatter!!) BACK TO THE WINE...10% is a nice offer, but wooters are use to 40% total deals. Realizing that you can't open the doors and give the higher price point wine away, how about providing a set order amount and increase the discount for serious wine wooters? Restaurants get nice deals, but the Woot community REALLY appreciates a great wine at a must buy price! Laura, the LadyofWine, it's time to move the bar to a higher level!!!!

You wanna negotiate my next house for me?

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

C'mon THREE, spill the beans on this wine already!

andyduncan

Unfortunately our bottle was badly corked. We had about five people in the office taste it. I brought it over to a friends house for dinner to decant it and see if it just needed to open up, but no dice.

I'm trying to track down a replacement bottle, but so far no luck. If anyone knows where I can find this on the west side of LA, let me know. So far I've only been able to find the Beckstoffer vineyard. Winex has it in orange, but I won't be able to get down there till Thursday.

If my shipment gets here tomorrow, I'll open one and continue my La Brat duties (though they usually arrive on thursday or friday).

I apologize for failing miserably.

ltraffis

bhodilee wrote:You wanna negotiate my next house for me?

You should see me work a car dealership!! :-) We all have limited funds and have to make sound choices. With all this wine, I'm gonna have to ask work if I can make a woot deduction and direct deposit or just get more selective. Just received one, with four in the bag.

I've got a real good feeling about LadyofWine as being the real deal. She has kicked my sides several times...the toothpick ...the next woot. As Sgt Schultz said many times...I see nothing, I hear nothing!!!!! If she keeps talking about food and wine, she'll have 150 wooters outside her door for dinner tomorrow. WD may have given her a double detention, but I give her 12 stars. Isn't it amazing how he surfaces!!! Laura, we like WD, but we love great wine more!!!

tomatillo

andyduncan wrote:I apologize for failing miserably.

No apologies necessary. What a letdown.
The Horror. . . The Horror. . .
('Apocolypse Now')
Edit: Are we taking this too seriously?

ladyofwine

[quote postid="2484620" user="andyduncan"]Unfortunately our bottle was badly corked. We had about five people in the office taste it. I brought it over to a friends house for dinner to decant it and see if it just needed to open up, but no dice.

I'm trying to track down a replacement bottle, but so far no luck. If anyone knows where I can find this on the west side of LA, let me know. So far I've only been able to find the Beckstoffer vineyard. Winex has it in orange, but I won't be able to get down there till Thursday.

It's those darn corks. I prefer natural cork to any other enclosure and this is what I get for my attention to detail, and the good old fashioned way of sealing a beautiful bottle of wine. A few other opportunities: From the Vine Wine Company - Laguna Niguel, Pacific Club in Newport - I know the wine buyers there very well and they''d help me out in this pinch. I'm not sure how appropriate this is in the world of WOOT but if I can help get a bottle into any Labrat's hands in Orange County on Wednesday, let me know.

ladyofwine

andyduncan wrote:Unfortunately our bottle was badly corked. We had about five people in the office taste it. I brought it over to a friends house for dinner to decant it and see if it just needed to open up, but no dice.

If my shipment gets here tomorrow, I'll open one and continue my La Brat duties (though they usually arrive on thursday or friday).

Another possibility, La Maison Gourmet in Mission Viejo - is that closer to you?

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

andyduncan wrote:Unfortunately our bottle was badly corked. We had about five people in the office taste it. I brought it over to a friends house for dinner to decant it and see if it just needed to open up, but no dice.

Dude.... that vacuums.

ladyofwine

ltraffis wrote:Laura...I sincerely apologize for the poor anaolgy. Never intended as such, just trying to hint that some people can be really harsh with personal info. Noted from your posts that your a seasoned business person (Cisco exp, 10% discount, etc), yet down to earth by opening up and sharing with the woot community, even (Ooops) the next woot. Thanks for the temperature feedback. Wish you could hold the east coast orders back a while , but that's probably out of control. Looks like I stirred some additional responses also. It's great to see individuals like yourself getting noticed for going after your dreams, kicking butt through adversity, and helping forge new frontiers! I'm an aging boomer that realized long ago without a doubt, behind every successful man was a fantastic woman. (Now THAT should bring on more non-wine chatter!!) BACK TO THE WINE...10% is a nice offer, but wooters are use to 40% total deals. Realizing that you can't open the doors and give the higher price point wine away, how about providing a set order amount and increase the discount for serious wine wooters? Restaurants get nice deals, but the Woot community REALLY appreciates a great wine at a must buy price! Laura, the LadyofWine, it's time to move the bar to a higher level!!!!

Thanks, I thought it was pretty amusing after all. A woman's got to make a living so WOOTing a little bit makes sense, hopefully to engage, enlighten and open doors that previously didn't know I existed. Super huge discounts don't pay for the dog kibble - did I mention I have a lovely golden labrador named Zoe? She's really a sweetie and another reason that all wooters coming to Calistoga should drop by. So, these super huge, wooter discounts are only partically approved by my woofer...she needs squeaky toys and cats to chase and the occasional electric fence collar to replace (where does she put them all?) Not to mention the cases and cases of green beans and rice cakes - don't you all feed your dogs green beans and rice cakes? Okay, I should stop typing now.

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
andyduncan wrote:Well, well, well. What has two thumbs and likes Cab?

Ok, so that's more of a visual gag.

Nonetheless. I have been selected as La Brat, so PencilThief and I (and whoever else we can round up) will be providing tasting notes later today...

Thanks Double-ya Dee!

Forgive the lateness of my post but I just got home from a business dinner in Milwaukee. I am proud to say that I have been Labratted. I am looking forward to uncorking tomorrow and posting!

andyduncan

ladyofwine wrote:It's those darn corks. I prefer natural cork to any other enclosure and this is what I get for my attention to detail, and the good old fashioned way of sealing a beautiful bottle of wine. A few other opportunities: From the Vine Wine Company - Laguna Niguel, Pacific Club in Newport - I know the wine buyers there very well and they''d help me out in this pinch. I'm not sure how appropriate this is in the world of WOOT but if I can help get a bottle into any Labrat's hands in Orange County on Wednesday, let me know.

It happens. I support the use of traditional corks on good reds. You have a certain percent of Acceptable Losses:
"Like it's, 1944, the Germans are in France when really they should be in Germany and it's going to cost a pretty penny to get them home..."

ladyofwine wrote:Another possibility, La Maison Gourmet in Mission Viejo - is that closer to you?

Nope, even further. I looked on your site for the retailers available. 2020 Wines in West LA would be the closest, but they don't appear to have any in stock, apparently. Other places in LA I was able to call only had the Beckstoffer.

Winedavid39 wrote:Dude.... that vacuums.

I know! FWIW The cork taint was WAY worse than on the bottle at Gun Lock Bun Shoe.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Bummer man...how far down you willing to come down this way? I'm in Fullerton so I could get to Orange fairly easily to pick up a bottle for you. I have early evening commitments tomorrow in the city of Norwalk near the 5 and 605 exchange. I'd offer up my services to help out with the labrat duties but this commitment will keep me tied up all evening but I can get out long enough to give you the bottle if you make the drive that far. Just drop me a line and let me know.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

MalcolmPX

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MalcolmPX

Last time a woman winemaker came through these parts slinging Napa Cab it was Corison and I was subsequently Richarded over by my wootlegger who kept saying he'd pick them up from UPS and let them get sent back .. twice! Then I missed the woot-off.

I'm not missing out this time. My minute of fame starts now.

Laura Zahtila Vineyards Napa Cab Three-Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 10.077s

Last wooter to woot: MalcolmPX

Malcolm PX

Bringing about an all wine.woot black square by any means necessary.--MalcolmPX

Betty Shirazz? Yeah, I think I know her.

ltraffis

[quote postid="2484647" user="ladyofwine"]did I mention I have a lovely golden labrador named Zoe? quote]

Labs are great! My brother had a black english lab. Neighbors across the street just got a golden. I had a mix of setter, wiemer, and lab. She was very smart and very loyal. Protected the kids and loved the field. They have a lot of energy when young, very laid back later. Since you barter, I'll send bones for wine :-) Ahhh, it's getting late...brain wave short

tomatillo

ladyofwine wrote:did I mention I have a lovely golden labrador named Zoe?

ltraffis wrote:Labs are great! My brother had a black english lab. Neighbors across the street just got a golden.

We love labs, too! Almost got a Labra-doodle, but opted for the Golden-doodle, instead. Smart, too friendly, and hypo-allergenic to boot! One year old, yesterday, and still chewing up our unattended shoes. And chasing the flying rats - I mean, Canadian Geese - who pollute our lake. Good dog!

olabner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages olabner

Question for WD: If I order both this and the new offer Thursday, can I get them shipped together and save $7? That would be sweet.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

olabner wrote:Question for WD: If I order both this and the new offer Thursday, can I get them shipped together and save $7? That would be sweet.

in a word: no

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Winedavid39 wrote:in a word: no

SHOCKING! you mean you & the winemaker need to make a PROFIT here?!? perish the thought!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

dkralston

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkralston
clayfu wrote: Sigh.

I wish you were too Charlie Fu!

I'm on the fence til I get a LabRat push or somethin'...

Elegant. Complex. Distinctive.
You are what you drink!

dkralston

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkralston

Dear Lady.
Do we have a name and history of the winemaker? (I apologize if this is an old or dumb question)

Elegant. Complex. Distinctive.
You are what you drink!

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Winedavid39 wrote:Good idea, but i'm struggling to visualize a smooth (not costly) way of doing this.

Shipping would be cool, but it seems the really cool bit would be the offering of wines folks might not normally be able to get outside of tasting room or wine club. *I* would think that even at regular prices the special offer might be appreciated.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

And the buzzard becomes a predator!

CT | | | | | |