Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
ladyofwine wrote:Yes, I'm lucky to have a second offering during the second half of this week. It's my 2006 Napa Valley Chardonnay. Now, before all of you ABC-heads get all riled up - this is, sincerely, a red wine drinkers Chardonnay. No-malo, barrel aged, 100% Chardonnay. It's bright and crisp and lovely. No big oak, no butter!

Best. Hint. Ever.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
ladyofwine wrote:And that goes for the Library selections as well! Special week for Wooters!

Hey Laura,

It doesn't appear that the discount is working yet....or did i screw something up (very possible )? Also, how is it shipped? Thank you!

CT

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
Walstib wrote:Best. Hint. Ever.

Frankly I'm surprised that a staffer didn't step in to squash bhodilee's question! no butter eh? may have me there, I hate buttery Chards

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bkarney wrote:Frankly I'm surprised that a staffer didn't step in to squash bhodilee's question! no butter eh? may have me there, I hate buttery Chards

yeah no kidding, I thought for sure that'd disappear. I thought it'd be worth a shot so I knew where to spend my money this week. Chard is never gonna win over Cab in my house. Though if the Chard is a good price I just may take the plunge. I feel as though I've not given due diligence to Chard, and I know it's the movie theater popcorn versions I've had in the past that have turned me off.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

olabner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages olabner
ladyofwine wrote:Yes, I'm lucky to have a second offering during the second half of this week. It's my 2006 Napa Valley Chardonnay. Now, before all of you ABC-heads get all riled up - this is, sincerely, a red wine drinkers Chardonnay. No-malo, barrel aged, 100% Chardonnay. It's bright and crisp and lovely. No big oak, no butter!

Holy carp. I'm opening one of these tonight (or tomorrow, see above post). I will be more than happy (of course) to post a labrat report on it for the community.

olabner

Holy carp. heh-woot filter.

bhodilee

olabner wrote:Laura: I'm having a hard time talking my wife into going in for more wine this month, but I have a plan.

Here's my strategy: I'm going to make dinner and pair it with your '06 Chardonnay we bought when we were out last October (I think I discovered you in the Frommer's Travel Guide). I think the combination of the alcohol, the great wine, and the memory of the wonderful visit we had last fall will push her over the edge.

What dish would you suggest I prepare with your Chardonnay?

Oh, and just so you know, we loved your quaint tasting room. Much less of the "factory" feel that so many have out there. And, we also bought your Zinfandel, which we shared with our neighbors. They loved it, so they may be in for a three-pack as well. I think we're going to try to split shipping, if I can break my wife down. Later!

Since we're quoting people this week:

Tis better to beg forgivness, than ask permission

Who said that? or some such variation of that?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
bkarney wrote:Hey Laura,

It doesn't appear that the discount is working yet....or did i screw something up (very possible )? Also, how is it shipped? Thank you!

I didn't code a discount directly, just put WINEWOOT in the message area and I'll apply the discount manually. Unlike WOOT, we are not shipping wine into hot areas at this time. I'll have to hold it captive in my 55 degree cellar until the weather permits shipping. There is a 50% uplift on the shipping fee if you want it overnighted or two-day'd, also manually applied.

bhodilee

olabner wrote:Holy carp. I'm opening one of these tonight (or tomorrow, see above post). I will be more than happy (of course) to post a labrat report on it for the community.

That would be awesome! If you do may the wine gods smile down upon your request to your wife and WD himself bless you with future rattery.

bhodilee

ladyofwine wrote:I didn't code a discount directly, just put WINEWOOT in the message area and I'll apply the discount manually. Unlike WOOT, we are not shipping wine into hot areas at this time. I'll have to hold it captive in my 55 degree cellar until the weather permits shipping. There is a 50% uplift on the shipping fee if you want it overnighted or two-day'd, also manually applied.

Being held captive in a wine cellar is more like vacation than captivity

olabner

bhodilee wrote:Since we're quoting people this week:

Tis better to beg forgivness, than ask permission

Who said that? or some such variation of that?

I don't know. I mean, you just said it, so...you?

I've heard the expression before, but I can't put a finger on who said it. Google is not being helpful either.

ladyofwine

olabner wrote:Laura: I'm having a hard time talking my wife into going in for more wine this month, but I have a plan.

Here's my strategy: I'm going to make dinner and pair it with your '06 Chardonnay we bought when we were out last October (I think I discovered you in the Frommer's Travel Guide). I think the combination of the alcohol, the great wine, and the memory of the wonderful visit we had last fall will push her over the edge.

What dish would you suggest I prepare with your Chardonnay?

Oh, and just so you know, we loved your quaint tasting room. Much less of the "factory" feel that so many have out there. And, we also bought your Zinfandel, which we shared with our neighbors. They loved it, so they may be in for a three-pack as well. I think we're going to try to split shipping, if I can break my wife down. Later!

Thank you for the kind words, I'm happy you enjoyed your visit in my tasting room.

Now, onto that important dinner decision - I don't know if you are shelfish types...but, saffron risotto with firecracker shrimp is a huge hit with this wine. Use some of the chardonnay in the risotto (you know the old saying, "I love to cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!". For the shrimp, douse them with olive oil, kosher salt pepper and just a dash or two of red pepper flakes and either grill them or pan sear them - YUMMY! Lay on top for a fabulous and tasty look.

Alternatively, slice up some lemons and insert them under the skin of a chicken breast. I know the low fat version is to go skinless, boneless, but sometimes it comes out dry and tasteless, I'm a fan of at least using skin on chicken. Quickly sear the skin side before popping them in the oven to roast. Use a bit of the chardonnay as a braising liquid, with a bit of chicken stock and the rest of the lemon, chunked up. Broccoli rabe and wild rice on the side.

pfcouvar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pfcouvar
olabner wrote:I don't know. I mean, you just said it, so...you?

I've heard the expression before, but I can't put a finger on who said it. Google is not being helpful either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

Winedavid39

quality posts: 198 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

doh!!

OK, laura you weren't suppose to tell what it was before hand. Consider yourself on Double Secret Probation...

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

OK, now that it's "officially" out there, I can say that we had this at NoVA #5 and it was excellent! No oak monsters. No butter bombs. Just enough oak to make it interesting. And just as Laura said...bright, crisp, and lovely! I can't think of better words. Slightly citrusy. Great representation of the grape itself. I will be in for some. As will at least 2 of the "chard-O-NO!" folks who were in the room.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
olabner wrote:I don't know. I mean, you just said it, so...you?

Google tells me it was Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, US Navy. The article I read also gave her the credit for the word "debugging", after she found a dead moth in a component.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bhodilee

ladyofwine wrote:Thank you for the kind words, I'm happy you enjoyed your visit in my tasting room.

Now, onto that important dinner decision - I don't know if you are shelfish types...but, saffron risotto with firecracker shrimp is a huge hit with this wine. Use some of the chardonnay in the risotto (you know the old saying, "I love to cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!". For the shrimp, douse them with olive oil, kosher salt pepper and just a dash or two of red pepper flakes and either grill them or pan sear them - YUMMY! Lay on top for a fabulous and tasty look.

Alternatively, slice up some lemons and insert them under the skin of a chicken breast. I know the low fat version is to go skinless, boneless, but sometimes it comes out dry and tasteless, I'm a fan of at least using skin on chicken. Quickly sear the skin side before popping them in the oven to roast. Use a bit of the chardonnay as a braising liquid, with a bit of chicken stock and the rest of the lemon, chunked up. Broccoli rabe and wild rice on the side.

Oh man, you just hit on my favorite thing to do with chicken. I take a boneless skinless and rub it with whatever spices sound good, sear it in the cast iron and then dump in a half bottle of Chard. When the Chard is mostly gone the chicken is perfectly done, incredibly juicy and has the best citrus flavor. Chicken and Chard are like Cab and Ribeye!

pfcouvar

Winedavid39 wrote:doh!!

OK, laura you weren't suppose to tell what it was before hand. Consider yourself on Double Secret Probation...

Oooooooooooooooo, someone's in trouuuuuuuble.

ladyofwine

The rules, the rules, I need a copy of the rules. So sorry to have let it out of the bag...maybe nobody will see it...

cjsiege

coynedj wrote:Google tells me it was Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, US Navy. The article I read also gave her the credit for the word "debugging", after she found a dead moth in a component.

Actually, it wasn't the admiral who found the moth, but the rest of that story is true. And it did happen at a Navy installation. I've seen the actual moth and the scribbled note that went along with it.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
ladyofwine wrote:The rules, the rules, I need a copy of the rules. So sorry to have let it out of the bag...maybe nobody will see it...

Eh, their faq is hidden and they refuse to create a sticky section. Don't worry, none of us will reveal your double secret probation.

signed.

olabner

ladyofwine wrote:Thank you for the kind words, I'm happy you enjoyed your visit in my tasting room.

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes. And I'll post notes on the Chardonnay tomorrow or Thursday morning.

And I don't need google to know that cooking quote is from W.C. Fields.

cjsiege

ladyofwine wrote:The rules, the rules, I need a copy of the rules. So sorry to have let it out of the bag...maybe nobody will see it...

LIke maybe no one will see this??? (Also posted on page 2 of the Cyber-pub. )

bhodilee

yeah, my fault. Sorry bout that

ladyofwine

cjsiege wrote:LIke maybe no one will see this??? (Also posted on page 2 of the Cyber-pub. )

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Thank you!!! What's the monkey's name?

ladyofwine

bhodilee wrote:Oh man, you just hit on my favorite thing to do with chicken. I take a boneless skinless and rub it with whatever spices sound good, sear it in the cast iron and then dump in a half bottle of Chard. When the Chard is mostly gone the chicken is perfectly done, incredibly juicy and has the best citrus flavor. Chicken and Chard are like Cab and Ribeye!

To get back to my Napa Valley Cabernet, it also pairs well with chicken. We had it last night, I only olive oiled and salt and peppered the chicken (skin and bones, too) and put it on the grill. Really nice.

pfcouvar

canonizer wrote:Eh, their faq is hidden and they refuse to create a sticky section. Don't worry, none of us will reveal your double secret probation.

What double-secret probation? ;)

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
pfcouvar wrote:What double-secret probation? ;)

It's a secret.
It's a secret.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
pfcouvar wrote:What double-secret probation? ;)

CT | | | | | |

cjsiege

ladyofwine wrote:I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Thank you!!! What's the monkey's name?

No special name. He's just a Woot-monkey. Loweeeel got him during a woot-off. He comes to the tastings whenever we hold them at Loweeel's house.

EDIT: And yes, there are a wide ranging number of "eeee"s in Loweeeeeeel's name. Right MW & Nallie???

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Well, that's a pretty clear hint about the second offering. So much for the element of surprise.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

ladyofwine

damightyanteater wrote:One last question before I go to sleep for Laura or anyone in the know.

What is the difference between TA and pH? I'm aware TA is the titratable acidity, but pH is also a gauge of acidity.

A simply answer would be nice, but I would really enjoy an answer that is a bit more involved comparing the two.

Thanks and good night for now.

pH measures the ions in the wine and the exchange of those ions. The TA is a measure of titratable acidity, yes that is correct, but it's really a measure of Tartaic Acid which is the most abundant acid in the grape.

I will admit that the chemistry of winemaking is not my strong suit. I had to have some help with this answer. I have taken a couple of technical classes at UC Davis and Napa College, but my strength lies in the overall direction and style of the wine. The varietals I make, the contracts with growers, managing those growers, choosing the style of the wine we make which is significantly influenced by MY pallet. Fruit forward, modest wines, terrior driven, balanced, food friendly and not in the stratesphere with regard to price. I walk the vineyards, mine and those under contract, to make sure that the grapes are being grown in the manner I believe is going to result in the best possible wine. I ride herd on my help to make sure that sugars and alcohol levels stay within my desired levels. It's usually a tug of war during harvest but ultimately we make wine the way I want it made, end of story!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
coynedj wrote:Google tells me it was Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, US Navy. The article I read also gave her the credit for the word "debugging", after she found a dead moth in a component.

Jeez, that old urban legend.

Yes, she did find a moth between two relay contacts, and yes, she did tape said dead moth into the log book for the computer. But her annotation for the entry made it clear that "bug" was already being used to describe an error in computing, and that this was the first instance of a literal bug in computing.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Don't worry about WD, Laura. We know where he lives and what he does for a living. Just keep making that good juice for us.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:Speaking of which ... where are the lucky rodents? I'd have thought we'd have one poke its head out of the wall at this point to at least announce he or she is here. Maybe since it is just one wine, there are only two, and both are not regular posters?

According to statistics, which I know you love so much, there should only be 2 rats this time around. So people need to go check their boxes. As I will be doing after work. In 10 minutes. Or so. Come forth, rats!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

bhodilee wrote:yeah, my fault. Sorry bout that

Bad bowtie! Bad!

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

"It's time somebody put their foot down. And that foot is WD!"

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

she has a petite sirah on her website. 32 case
nmit's a dessert

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

actually this could help, there are a lot of people that don't drink Chard. The only Chard I have ever enjoyed is from Carneros (Rombauer, Frank Family, others). So I might up my order for the Cab to more than I bought. Hence you make more money. Might be a smart idea actually to let us know what is coming next. I know that is anti-thesis to the woot theme, but...

:: Laura :: you said your Chard is not buttery, where is it sourced from? Tell me Carneros and I will buy 2 sets .... if not, I'll wait for labrat words

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

cheron98

tkastorff wrote:actually this could help, there are a lot of people that don't drink Chard. The only Chard I have ever enjoyed is from Carneros (Rombauer, Frank Family, others). So I might up my order for the Cab to more than I bought. Hence you make more money. Might be a smart idea actually to let us know what is coming next. I know that is anti-thesis to the woot theme, but...

:: Laura :: you said your Chard is not buttery, where is it sourced from? Tell me Carneros and I will buy 2 sets .... if not, I'll wait for labrat words

I do know that the esteemed Master Loweeel gave his stamp of approval on this one, and his take on chards in general is, and I quote, "BLECH!" He endorses this one though. So if that's any bearing on you...