ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
afranke wrote:Only by name and face. I work in the physics biz, and two of the experiments I work on are located at FNAL. Being only a grad student, so there are many layers of hierarchy between us, but if I ever meet him I'll now know what to chit-chat about!



He and his son harvest some of the zin and PS before I do, they make wine on the side. Very nice folks. My 2005 Dry Creek Zin, sourced from him, was recently, highly ranked in a tasting that the Press Democrat did in Sonoma County. I was pleased to be in the top 2. The Oddone's grow some good fruit, they have almost 9 acres of cabernet as well.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ladyofwine wrote:Forklift driving, a very commendable job. During my first harvest without family (2002) I managed to knock a forklift over - banged it up pretty good. Learned two very important words that harvest....parking brake.



She was moving two barrels as we arrived for the RPM Historical Tour visit at Armida. We (the 28 or so wine.wooters/wineaux) enjoyed our tour of Napa/Sonoma very much! We have a thread on it in the World of Woot Wine about it, along with the field notes from each day.

Now we have yet another wonderful winery to visit next time we invade! Thanks for your wonderful comments!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
conroo wrote:


WineDavid said it very well. When they were first launching he approached me about working with the site. At that point, I elected not to be wooted (which wasn't even a word in my vocabulary). A few months ago I heard WineDavid speak at a conference and was happy to hear that their concept was working. So, I walked right up and reacquainted myself and off to the races we went. I talked to a few of the wineries who had previously wooted and the general consensus was very positive. Also, in this current world of visitors staying home, away from the beauty of Napa Valley, a woman's got to find more creative ways to get the wine out there...so WOOT was a perfect fit on a couple of different levels. I'm very pleased that I was selected to WOOT and David's only slightly disappointed that they couldn't WOOT my Rutherford Cab. I just don't have enough wine and the price point wasn't happening for this program.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:Sadler-Wells has two women (including Jean)!!! And don't forget the winemaker at Armida (the one driving the forklift!!)



Four! Four wonderful winemaking women AH AH AH AH AH!"

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Lighter


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
bhodilee wrote:Four! Four wonderful winemaking women AH AH AH AH AH!"


I'd bet there are a lot more. It's an agra business and all too often the male name is a front for the real working of the business.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:Four! Four wonderful winemaking women AH AH AH AH AH!"



AND Cathy Corison!!! From Wine.Woot (and the RPM tour as well)!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
Lighter wrote:I'd bet there are a lot more. It's an agra business and all too often the male name is a front for the real working of the business.



And lots of married couples sharing the operation. I'm one of the few, 100% women owned wineries in Napa County. There are hundreds of talented women working in all aspects of winemaking and vineyard management. I believe one of my growers has a women leading a vineyard maintenance team, a hispanic woman. I came from a male dominated environment (hi-tech) so the ag business fits into what I've grown accustomed. Napa vintners pride themselves on helping each other. I don't know of any business that shares technology, people, intelligence the way this information is shared in the wine business. Without that attitude I'm not sure I would be where I am today - the advice, help and kindness of dozens of vintners I've worked with is quite refreshing!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ladyofwine wrote:WineDavid said it very well. When they were first launching he approached me about working with the site. At that point, I elected not to be wooted (which wasn't even a word in my vocabulary). A few months ago I heard WineDavid speak at a conference and was happy to hear that their concept was working. So, I walked right up and reacquainted myself and off to the races we went. I talked to a few of the wineries who had previously wooted and the general consensus was very positive. Also, in this current world of visitors staying home, away from the beauty of Napa Valley, a woman's got to find more creative ways to get the wine out there...so WOOT was a perfect fit on a couple of different levels. I'm very pleased that I was selected to WOOT and David's only slightly disappointed that they couldn't WOOT my Rutherford Cab. I just don't have enough wine and the price point wasn't happening for this program.



Well, we're to have your wine here, but at not having a chance at the Rutherford Cab. Many of us on the RPM tour discovered the joys of Rutherford Cabs during the tour, and would have been overjoyed at the chance for another.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ladyofwine wrote:And lots of married couples sharing the operation. I'm one of the few, 100% women owned wineries in Napa County. There are hundreds of talented women working in all aspects of winemaking and vineyard management. I believe one of my growers has a women leading a vineyard maintenance team, a hispanic woman. I came from a male dominated environment (hi-tech) so the ag business fits into what I've grown accustomed. Napa vintners pride themselves on helping each other. I don't know of any business that shares technology, people, intelligence the way this information is shared in the wine business. Without that attitude I'm not sure I would be where I am today - the advice, help and kindness of dozens of vintners I've worked with is quite refreshing!



That is pretty awesome how a lot of folks out there don't see you as "competition" so much as a person and are willing to offer their time and knowledge. You don't see that in many industries. Farmers around here are like that, but they're not really competing with each other like vinters are. Are there any groups like Women Winemakers or anything where you get together and celebrate your accomplishments in a male dominated sector? I think it'd be cool, but maybe hokey

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
bhodilee wrote:That is pretty awesome how a lot of folks out there don't see you as "competition" so much as a person and are willing to offer their time and knowledge. You don't see that in many industries. Farmers around here are like that, but they're not really competing with each other like vinters are. Are there any groups like Women Winemakers or anything where you get together and celebrate your accomplishments in a male dominated sector? I think it'd be cool, but maybe hokey



I don't know of a specific group that's aimed at vintners. There are casual winemaker groups out there, sharing information and wine, I've not heard of a women only group. I have several lady winemaker friends that I keep close to, their mentorship is invaluable to me. I'm just starting my 10th year in this business so I'm a relative newcomer in the world of making wine.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ladyofwine wrote:I don't know of a specific group that's aimed at vintners. There are casual winemaker groups out there, sharing information and wine, I've not heard of a women only group. I have several lady winemaker friends that I keep close to, their mentorship is invaluable to me. I'm just starting my 10th year in this business so I'm a relative newcomer in the world of making wine.



So you gonna be back with a new offering thursday?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

conroo


quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo
ladyofwine wrote:WineDavid said it very well. When they were first launching he approached me about working with the site. At that point, I elected not to be wooted (which wasn't even a word in my vocabulary). A few months ago I heard WineDavid speak at a conference and was happy to hear that their concept was working. So, I walked right up and reacquainted myself and off to the races we went. I talked to a few of the wineries who had previously wooted and the general consensus was very positive. Also, in this current world of visitors staying home, away from the beauty of Napa Valley, a woman's got to find more creative ways to get the wine out there...so WOOT was a perfect fit on a couple of different levels. I'm very pleased that I was selected to WOOT and David's only slightly disappointed that they couldn't WOOT my Rutherford Cab. I just don't have enough wine and the price point wasn't happening for this program.



I'm happy that you gave WD's concept a try or I would have never found you! Thanks, but you know you will be WD's radar FOREVER now. (that's probably a good thing)

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

conroo


quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo
bhodilee wrote:Are there any groups like Women Winemakers or anything where you get together and celebrate your accomplishments in a male dominated sector? I think it'd be cool, but maybe hokey



Oh, that's SO last generation.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

gcdyersb


quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
bhodilee wrote:Were you around for the Iron Horse Cab Franc? If not weep tears of bitter sadness.



No, I wasn't. That was before my time. When I saw that was a woot about a month or two before I joined, I felt a twinge of melancholy.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

tkastorff


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
MarkDaSpark wrote:AND Cathy Corison!!! From Wine.Woot (and the RPM tour as well)!!



There is also a female owned winery in Temecula ...

I still think the Sadler Wells offering is one of the best to date, wish I was in for more

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

andyduncan


quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
ladyofwine wrote:I'm very pleased that I was selected to WOOT and David's only slightly disappointed that they couldn't WOOT my Rutherford Cab. I just don't have enough wine and the price point wasn't happening for this program.



Maybe that's an idea for a side-deal: wines from the same winery as the main woot, but in limited quantities relative to the main offering. As wine.woot keeps getting bigger, and the cases sold per week go up, it might be a way to continue having some of the low-volume production wines we've been lucky to get in the past.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
gcdyersb wrote:No, I wasn't. That was before my time. When I saw that was a woot about a month or two before I joined, I felt a twinge of melancholy.



It's very good and I would suggest finding out how to procure some. I think you may have to be a member of their club though.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
andyduncan wrote:Maybe that's an idea for a side-deal: wines from the same winery as the main woot, but in limited quantities relative to the main offering. As wine.woot keeps getting bigger, and the cases sold per week go up, it might be a way to continue having some of the low-volume production wines we've been lucky to get in the past.



That's a really great idea. The side deal wine could sell at basically retail and be included with our wooted wine for the same shipping and it would still be a great deal at retail based off the shipping savings. Though it may delay shipment and be hard to set up.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

canonizer


quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
andyduncan wrote:Maybe that's an idea for a side-deal: wines from the same winery as the main woot, but in limited quantities relative to the main offering. As wine.woot keeps getting bigger, and the cases sold per week go up, it might be a way to continue having some of the low-volume production wines we've been lucky to get in the past.



Armida did that with a reserve zin.

signed.

woopdedoo


quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

For the heck of it, I went back to see what was my first wine purchase on woot. It was during a woot off on regular woot on Nov. 17, 2006. Apparently, there was another wine deal earlier in the woot off. Besides all of the usual negativism expressed by the bloggers about wine in a wootoff, was this one:

"if only there were a place on woot to sell wine!"

And here we are today.

Jepson Winery Mendocino Mix
$35.99
+ $5 shipping
condition:
Aged
product(s):
1 Jepson 2005 Screaming Rosé
1 Jepson 2003 Estate Bottled Syrah
1 Jepson 2005 Summertime White
1 Jepson 2003 Estate Red

gcdyersb


quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
bhodilee wrote:It's very good and I would suggest finding out how to procure some. I think you may have to be a member of their club though.



I've contemplated finding a way to get it, but it was not available on their website and I suspect nearly their entire stock went out via Woot. At the woot price, it was perfect, but for $30-$35 a bottle, even if it's available, I'd definitely need to taste before buying.

Unless a wooter had a bottle to spare at a reasonable price. Otherwise I'm out of luck. If it's that good, then I'd horde every bottle.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

oppsie


quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
fairnymph wrote:Wahhh. I am moving soon and I can't afford a 3-pack of MORE Cab.

But I'll buy a bottle off a NYC person! If you want to sell me one, let me know. And since my PMs never seem to work (grrr): paleskinnednymph AT yahoo DOT com

TIA



out of the sweatbox?

pfcouvar


quality posts: 4 Private Messages pfcouvar
afranke wrote:Only by name and face. I work in the physics biz, and two of the experiments I work on are located at FNAL. Being only a grad student, so there are many layers of hierarchy between us, but if I ever meet him I'll now know what to chit-chat about!



As will I. (I'm in Comp. Sci. research and work with FNAL folks regularly.)

pfcouvar


quality posts: 4 Private Messages pfcouvar
bhodilee wrote:Were you around for the Iron Horse Cab Franc? If not weep tears of bitter sadness.



No lie. I happened to be out there a couple weeks after the woot offering (no small feat for a WI boy) and brought back another case... but I now regret not having bought two. I _love_ that wine.

andyduncan


quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
canonizer wrote:Armida did that with a reserve zin.



I had forgotten about that one, and I think a number of other wineries have had coupons for discounts through them, but I was thinking of something a little more official, shipped from WCC, just in smaller quantities.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

canonizer


quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
fairnymph wrote:Wahhh. I am moving soon and I can't afford a 3-pack of MORE Cab.

But I'll buy a bottle off a NYC person! If you want to sell me one, let me know. And since my PMs never seem to work (grrr): paleskinnednymph AT yahoo DOT com

TIA



If you can meet in midtown (or greenpoint), I'll sell a bottle - assuming no one volunteered yet.

signed.

Cesare


quality posts: 1613 Private Messages Cesare
canonizer wrote:If you can meet in midtown (or greenpoint), I'll sell a bottle - assuming no one volunteered yet.



Beat you to it

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

paryb


quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
andyduncan wrote:I had forgotten about that one, and I think a number of other wineries have had coupons for discounts through them, but I was thinking of something a little more official, shipped from WCC, just in smaller quantities.



I'd like that as well. some sort of first come first serve opt in for a super special library wine.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
paryb wrote:I'd like that as well. some sort of first come first serve opt in for a super special library wine.



My taste buds would love it, but my wallet sure wouldn't. I can resist anything but temptation, to quote Oscar Wilde (I think).

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bkarney


quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
coynedj wrote:My taste buds would love it, but my wallet sure wouldn't. I can resist anything but temptation, to quote Oscar Wilde (I think).



My personal fav, "the best way to rid yourself of temptation is to yield to it." By: ???

CT

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I just checked and I haven't bought anything in several weeks - every time I'm on the fence, I fall back rather than forward. But this looks to be the offering that finally gets me spending my ill-begotten funds, the only question being how many sets. Eagerly awaiting labrat reports!!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
andyduncan wrote:Maybe that's an idea for a side-deal: wines from the same winery as the main woot, but in limited quantities relative to the main offering. As wine.woot keeps getting bigger, and the cases sold per week go up, it might be a way to continue having some of the low-volume production wines we've been lucky to get in the past.




I didn't see it in the product offering but I, Laura Zahtila, will honor a 10% discount on bottles purchased from my website if your mention WINEWOOT in the message area of your order!!!

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
bkarney wrote:My personal fav, "the best way to rid yourself of temptation is to yield to it." By: ???



That was Wilde, too. Obviously not a guy to exercise self-restraint.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

ptoledo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptoledo

***Sorry for temporary diversion***

If you are a master chef, a wine connoisseur, or are just good making things taste good...I posted a topic in the world of woot wine because I need help for making an anniversary dinner tomorrow night. I am planning on using woot wines...so this is more or less relevant...

Anyways, if you can, check it out and offer some advice...thanks for reading!

Gig 'em Aggies!

clayfu


quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
ladyofwine wrote:I didn't see it in the product offering but I, Laura Zahtila, will honor a 10% discount on bottles purchased from my website if your mention WINEWOOT in the message area of your order!!!



helloooo beckstoffer.

bkarney


quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
clayfu wrote:helloooo beckstoffer.



no joke

CT

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
coynedj wrote:Eagerly awaiting labrat reports!!



Speaking of which ... where are the lucky rodents? I'd have thought we'd have one poke its head out of the wall at this point to at least announce he or she is here. Maybe since it is just one wine, there are only two, and both are not regular posters?

CT | | | | | |

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
bhodilee wrote:So you gonna be back with a new offering thursday?



Yes, I'm lucky to have a second offering during the second half of this week. It's my 2006 Napa Valley Chardonnay. Now, before all of you ABC-heads get all riled up - this is, sincerely, a red wine drinkers Chardonnay. No-malo, barrel aged, 100% Chardonnay. It's bright and crisp and lovely. No big oak, no butter!

ladyofwine


quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
bkarney wrote:no joke



And that goes for the Library selections as well! Special week for Wooters!

olabner


quality posts: 0 Private Messages olabner

Laura: I'm having a hard time talking my wife into going in for more wine this month, but I have a plan.

Here's my strategy: I'm going to make dinner and pair it with your '06 Chardonnay we bought when we were out last October (I think I discovered you in the Frommer's Travel Guide). I think the combination of the alcohol, the great wine, and the memory of the wonderful visit we had last fall will push her over the edge.

What dish would you suggest I prepare with your Chardonnay?

Oh, and just so you know, we loved your quaint tasting room. Much less of the "factory" feel that so many have out there. And, we also bought your Zinfandel, which we shared with our neighbors. They loved it, so they may be in for a three-pack as well. I think we're going to try to split shipping, if I can break my wife down. Later!