kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I just read Andy's report and went to buy but guess what. You selfish people bought all of the bottles!!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
jwhite6114 wrote: Average number sold for a Sell Out though is about 867, so yeah, this was a smaller offer.

This is only a half week. We'll see what's up when the chard is added. Also a vineyard that might not have been able to w00t a single offering for an entire week.

darisgin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darisgin

Congrats, Laura!

Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio; Woot Cellars Polyphemus Magnum; Woot Cellars Humbug; Wellington Vineyards Reserve Duo, three pack, three pack + mystery; Peltier Station Lodi Petite Sirah; Ty Caton Three-Pack Sampler; Dry Creek Two-Pack Reds

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Lighter wrote:This is only a half week. We'll see what's up when the chard is added. Also a vineyard that might not have been able to w00t a single offering for an entire week.

And that is part of the explanation for going to two offers a week: allowing smaller lots and more unusual deals to be offered without compromising the sales possibilities.

CT | | | | | |

ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
jwhite6114 wrote:And it's all gone!

Way to go Laura! Now, why did you wait so long to do this?

Now you sounds like WD. To be honest, I didn't become an early adopter because I didn't have enough wine at the time and the discounting scared me to death. Now, a few years later, I have more wine and the discounting isn't so scary for what I'm getting out of it. This forum is really cool. Extensive blogging and online communities have come into being much later than my Cisco days. After looking into the current state of affairs, watching Woot for a while, then meeting WD again after a couple of years, it was the right timing. I'm really enjoying hanging out with you and getting your opinions and questions - it's good therapy for me!

ladyofwine

darisgin wrote:Congrats, Laura!

Thanks for everyone's input on my Napa Valley Cabernet. I look forward to hearing more of your comments once the wine lands in your hands. I know it seems silly to get labrats to chime in when the wine was selling out, but it's part of the attaction of WW and corked bottles drive me crazy - my customer service background just has to fix it and andyduncan was game so off he went!

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
ladyofwine wrote:Thanks for everyone's input on my Napa Valley Cabernet. I look forward to hearing more of your comments once the wine lands in your hands. I know it seems silly to get labrats to chime in when the wine was selling out, but it's part of the attaction of WW and corked bottles drive me crazy - my customer service background just has to fix it and andyduncan was game so off he went!

Your involvement is much appreciated, Laura. As many have noted, it is truly what sets w.w apart from the pack. I snoozed and loozed on the cab, waiting for the rats to report, but I'm going to grab the chard. Thanks again for being such an enthusiastic participant this week. Hope you stick around.

wootvirgin69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootvirgin69

Hey WD, I'm relatively new to WW (although I have already picked up 5 offerings in like 6 weeks...I'm such a vaccuum!), but have been unhappy with the state of my last 2 deliveries (Chase and Chateau Souverain), as they were both delivered "hot." Is there any hope of offering overnight, or 2-day shipping any time in the near future??

I'm sure it's been asked before, but I haven't seen any postings in the past month or so.

stchang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stchang

Ugh. Missed this one. Actually clicked to order last night but forgot my card's CVV, so I didn't.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
stchang wrote:Ugh. Missed this one. Actually clicked to order last night but forgot my card's CVV, so I didn't.

This is why you switch to the paypal method. Then all you ever have to remember is your woot password

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

I'll drink a bottle tomorrow night with my wine tasting group. It'll be first up so it won't be diluted by anything else that comes after ^_^

edit: i am not a labrat. The box came incredibly hot, but the bottles were okay to the touch. No ketchup packets? (do i get them in socal?). We'll see how they hold up tomorrow.

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

OhmygoshohmygoshohmyGOSH!

I got picked! Unfortunately, the UPS truck doesn't deliver things to my office until 5PM, and the packages don't get recorded and distributed until the next day. Today I was off-site, so I didn't realize what it was until I swung by the office on my way home and picked it up (I figured it was my Benson Syrah). Being that it's so late in the game, I'm not sure what to do. I already have dinner plans (which I'm making myself late for by typing this), so if people would like I can pop and pour later this evening. However, since my opinions are rather moot at this point, there's a voice in the back of my mind saying "cellar it!" Maybe I can find a happy medium by bringing it to the next NYC gathering?

I sincerely apologize to WD and the whole crowd here for not being as punctual as the other rats. I swear if I had known it was sitting in the department office, I would have picked the darn lock to get to it.

kylemittskus

ladyofwine wrote:Now you sounds like WD. To be honest, I didn't become an early adopter because I didn't have enough wine at the time and the discounting scared me to death. Now, a few years later, I have more wine and the discounting isn't so scary for what I'm getting out of it.

Might we be seeing you again Ms. Laura? After tonight's offering I mean. I sadly came to order too late. Greedy wine.wooters. But your participation was a pleasure and your wine sounds delicious.

kylemittskus

afranke wrote: I sincerely apologize to WD and the whole crowd here for not being as punctual as the other rats. I swear if I had known it was sitting in the department office, I would have picked the darn lock to get to it.

I fear that this might become a problem. I sincerely hope not, but the capricious nature of the delivery business paired with the omnipresent time might make this a more-than-wanted occurrence.

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis
wootvirgin69 wrote:Hey WD, I'm relatively new to WW (although I have already picked up 5 offerings in like 6 weeks...I'm such a vaccuum!), but have been unhappy with the state of my last 2 deliveries (Chase and Chateau Souverain), as they were both delivered "hot." Is there any hope of offering overnight, or 2-day shipping any time in the near future??

I'm sure it's been asked before, but I haven't seen any postings in the past month or so.

Virgy - I had the same problem with the Chase. The bottle temps were 90 F after sitting 2 hrs in the box in an AC house. Daytime outside temp was 80 F. It came out of NY on a Friday so it had to sit in a warehouse 20 minutes away until Monday's delivery. They were closed on Saturday or I would have picked it up. Opened the slightly chilled bottle real late Monday and it was decent. Benson was suppose to arrive today and I noticed it coming out of Illinois. Have to see if neighbor snagged it. Have three more shipments coming so I'm on my knees looking up.

ltraffis

Laura, CONGRATULATIONS... Soldout in three days, over 400 posts, many soon-to-be happy wooters (If UPS doesn't fry it)! You have been fabulous, very open, and honest. Even without the Labrat reports, you did well LadyofWine. Zoe is probably smiling too...new toys, beans, and rice cakes. No wonder those vines grow well! Never underestimate this group, even with the fence sitters, it's a great place!!! Thanks also to WD for the wisdom to bring this lovely person before us and to the Labrats with great intentions. To celebrate Laura's success, I'm in for the Chard before it's posted. And I'm not a real fan of white, gives me headaches, red mellows and opens the veins! As stated before...* * * * * * * * * * * *

...what am I gonna do with all this incoming? hmm, I've got a neighborhood of pencilheads.

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970

Well, I am home and tasting the Zahtila cab and come on here to post my labrat notes and its...sold out!

I opened it about an hour ago and let it air out. My first glass, after letting it sit in the glass for about 20 mintues:

Nose: Dry with a scent of raisins, earth and pencil lead.

Taste: Definitely a lot of red fruit mixed with hint of pepper spice. Very moist with a short finish. I think it will be better served with a little more time laying down, IMHO.

While this may be meaningless since it has sold out, I think it is a very very good value in a region where most cabs are overpriced generally. Thanks to WD and Laura!

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
clayfu wrote:I'll drink a bottle tomorrow night with my wine tasting group. It'll be first up so it won't be diluted by anything else that comes after ^_^

edit: i am not a labrat. The box came incredibly hot, but the bottles were okay to the touch. No ketchup packets? (do i get them in socal?). We'll see how they hold up tomorrow.

I, for one, think you should be the next labrat.

schuey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages schuey
hld1970 wrote:I, for one, think you should be the next labrat.

clay has had his fair share of labrattage. the fact that he makes a post on any single offering should be enough of a signal of his "seal of approval".

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
schuey wrote:clay has had his fair share of labrattage. the fact that he makes a post on any single offering should be enough of a signal of his "seal of approval".

free wine from winemakers and labratting are two different things =P . I've labratted the very first offering but that's it. Granted... I've only purchased 5 times since that date so I don't really expect it.

But i'm excited to try this wine, I'm going to surprise my wine group and remove the label, see how they like it. If I like it i'm sure I'll be looking to buy the Beckstoffer wines

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
schuey wrote:clay has had his fair share of labrattage. the fact that he makes a post on any single offering should be enough of a signal of his "seal of approval".

Provided, of course, that his post is a positive one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

wootvirgin69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootvirgin69
ltraffis wrote:Virgy - I had the same problem with the Chase. The bottle temps were 90 F after sitting 2 hrs in the box in an AC house. Daytime outside temp was 80 F. It came out of NY on a Friday so it had to sit in a warehouse 20 minutes away until Monday's delivery. They were closed on Saturday or I would have picked it up. Opened the slightly chilled bottle real late Monday and it was decent. Benson was suppose to arrive today and I noticed it coming out of Illinois. Have to see if neighbor snagged it. Have three more shipments coming so I'm on my knees looking up.

Yeah, no joke. I live in NoVA, and it's been 90-100 for the past few weeks.
Pa-pa-pa-pah-leeeeeeeeeease let Bacchus bless these deliveries!?!?!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:I just read Andy's report and went to buy but guess what. You selfish people bought all of the bottles!!!!

Snooze ... you lose!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

I was going to ask for hints on tonight's offer ..... DOH!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ladyofwine

kylemittskus wrote:Might we be seeing you again Ms. Laura? After tonight's offering I mean. I sadly came to order too late. Greedy wine.wooters. But your participation was a pleasure and your wine sounds delicious.

We'll see. Never know what WD has up his sleeve...I think I made it out of Double Secret Probation so we might meet again, after this week.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2
ladyofwine wrote:We'll see. Never know what WD has up his sleeve...I think I made it out of Double Secret Probation so we might meet again, after this week.

I missed this one, I will get the Chards, and I look forward to seeing you again!

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
clayfu wrote:free wine from winemakers and labratting are two different things =P . I've labratted the very first offering but that's it. Granted... I've only purchased 5 times since that date so I don't really expect it.

But i'm excited to try this wine, I'm going to surprise my wine group and remove the label, see how they like it. If I like it i'm sure I'll be looking to buy the Beckstoffer wines

i know it'll be after the fact, but would you mind posting your / your group's general observations / notes? merci.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

ltraffis

wootvirgin69 wrote:Yeah, no joke. I live in NoVA, and it's been 90-100 for the past few weeks.
Pa-pa-pa-pah-leeeeeeeeeease let Bacchus bless these deliveries!?!?!

Great news: Benson arrived today at 1:30 PM. Neighbor placed in house and I opened at 10 PM. The bottles felt like they normally would if they were store bought. Thaped a thermometer on the bottle and after 10 minutes it was 78 F. Noticed the order came out of Hodkins, IL. Much better shape then the 90 F out of NY and a weekend stay in the Middleburg Hts warehouse. tracking info below:

MIDDLEBURG HEIGHTS, OH, US
08/06/2008 1:30 P.M. DELIVERY
08/06/2008 5:32 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
08/06/2008 2:02 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
HODGKINS, IN, US
08/05/2008 5:46 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
08/05/2008 4:29 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
HODGKINS, IL, US
08/05/2008 3:14 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
HODGKINS, IL, US
08/04/2008 7:12 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 07/28/2008 3:52 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

*** We interrupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement: ***
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings

Is there a Woot Wine Gathering in your neck of the woods? If so - come find out what you've been missing! If not...well get off your duff and organize one! We're nice people, and we bring GOOD wine!

Please note: This list is for UPCOMING events…not the ones happening this weekend.
Note 2: Any links take you to page ONE of the thread. Enjoy the read!

8/15: SoCal #2 - The PSith Master Cometh…and it’s time for Party Hats for TimByrd! Not to mention seeing MadWine try her hand at surfing.
8/16: Detroit #2 - Varietal Battle
8/16: Chicago #4 - Drinking the Expensive Stuff that you thought you would save, but then though…what the heck! These wooters are nice people.
8/22: Minnesota #3 – gee, you all need a better name. Just calling it Minnesota #3 is pretty blah.
8/23: NoVA/DC #6 - DC Dark & Delicious
9/20: NYC #4 - Trekking for Wine
10/4: NoVA/DC #7 – Big Eight Rumble: Old World vs. New World
10/18: NYC #5 – A Taste of Spain on the UWS

Still TBD:
SE Pennsylvania - PLUS Brandywine Valley Wine Trail
JAX Area
Ohio!
Dallas-Fort Worth
Austin Area
Seattle-Area

***We now return you to your regularly scheduled Napa Cab Wine Thread...already in progress.***

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Oh, and as a follow-on to the PSA: Laura - thank you so much for volunteering a bottle to come to NoVA/DC #5 back on July 26. At least 2 orders of tomorrow's offering are coming to MY house specifically because of that tasting opportunity. You make one very lovely chard!

kylemittskus

cjsiege wrote:You make one very lovely chard!

Are we certain that tonight is Laura's chard?

themostrighteous

kylemittskus wrote:Are we certain that tonight is Laura's chard?

yes. she said as much. as WD rolled his eyes. keep up yung'un!

cooneym11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cooneym11

Since we know whats coming tonight, who's gunning for first?

kylemittskus

cooneym11 wrote:Since we know whats coming tonight, who's gunning for first?

The enigmatic Mill, of course!

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

After reading through my contract (golden ticket) it appears that I *must* open this bottle and have a glass.

Very well. Here 'goes.

Sniffing the cork: I think we're ok, here. No wet dog.

Color: very, very deep, almost inky burgundy. Held up to the light and tilted towards the rim, there's only a half-inch that's translucent at all.

First sniff of the bouquet: earthy, a bit of smoke, very ripe.

Really getting my nose in there: Something fuller, more like fruit but I can't put my finger on it. A bit of heat from the 15%, but nothing nostril-shattering. Coffee?

First taste: Bing cherries, blackcurrant. Dark chocolate? The tannins don't hit until well after the finish, but it's not so overwhelming as more like I just bit into a hand-full of blackberries.

Second sips, making that funny "aerating" noise: A bit more vegetal, almost like a bit of red apple where it's all the skin. Same flavors as before. I really love the finish on this: it's simple, but flavorful and lingering.

Summary: I really, really like this wine. Having been sort of raised on cali cabs, this brought back memories of much pricier bottles that my parents let me try when I was younger. I'm wishing I had gotten two. I think giving this wine a bit of time might tone down the heat a bit, but that might be a give-and-take with the lower tannins. While my initials aren't RP, I'd rate this an 88. Very good, great quality, but still a little hot/young.

Again, I'm sorry this comes with only a few minutes left (well, many hours after it sold out). I'll try to sweet-talk the secretary in the department office to let me know if any packages arrive on Tuesdays or Fridays in the future.

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:The enigmatic Mill, of course!

Masked Marvel will be gunning for it as well, trying to catch up to Mill.

themostrighteous

MarkDaSpark wrote:Masked Marvel will be gunning for it as well, trying to catch up to Mill.

and what, pray do tell, makes you thing they are not ONE & THE SAME?!?

cheron98

afranke wrote:After reading through my contract (golden ticket) it appears that I *must* open this bottle and have a glass.
... I'll try to sweet-talk the secretary in the department office to let me know if any packages arrive on Tuesdays or Fridays in the future.

'Cuz it's so hard to just HAVE to have a glass of wine, right? Try finding out if the secretary likes wine, and if s/he does, give a bottle of wine as a thank-you, and you'll be sure to receive notice

cheron98

Hey WD - will there be a second wave of labrattage happening? Did some go out with the first batch with instructions to keep quiet until Thursday? Just want to know if I should prepare the ratpack thread for more pack members...