tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

noble effort andy, but to be honest sounds like a lot of work, for tasting a bottle, especially since it will likely be sold out before you chime in, or at the least, only be able to sway the last couple of buyers as it is bouncing

get back to work =)

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Winedavid39 wrote:I had never heard of this amazing American. God, i love this place.

When she lectured, she used to hand out "nanoseconds", one foot pieces of wire. Light traveles about one foot in a nanosecond.

I have one that she handed out, but I got it second-hand; I never had the chance to see her in person.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

wootified

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootified
DonaldWilliams wrote:UPS guy knocks on door, hands me a box of wine. First time in memory I have no wine.woot deliveries pending, and it lasts exactly 23 minutes. The bouncing button and the unassailable logic of the fellow rpm tour-ists pushed me off the fence.

Same thing happened here.
UPS delivers, I check the current deal and the cursed bouncing button appears.

Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 10.077s

Last wooter to woot: wootified

P.S. I've stopped keeping this up to date
Woot:75 Sell:15 Kids:12 Shirts:0 Wine:44

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 26 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
andyduncan wrote:
I just got a call from Laura and she put a bottle at will call at a shipping house more or less near my office. I'm going to go pick it up at lunch. The race is now on to see if I can swish and spit before this thing sells out.

Where else would this kind of thing even happen?

I'm floored. Really. Hats off to Laura, WD, Java and all the wine.woot fanatics that make this place about way more than just cheap wine.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, Andy's remarks above about the lengths to which he's going to fulfill his labrat duties illustrate clearly that he's one of those very wine.woot fanatics to whom we should all doff our hats.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
bhodilee wrote:Stupid bouncing button. I had done so well lately conserving funds and the bounce nailed me. Got me yesterday on juvie also. I am incapable of ignoring things that bounce.

Since the cat is out of the bag so to speak can we just move right into the Chard when this sells out?

WD,
I hope whoever the person at Woot Incorporated was who suggested in a meeting.... "Maybe we should have the I Want One button bounce up and down when stock is getting low", is getting some kind of residuals on each item or a really nice annual bonus. Or, maybe a boatload of stock options for when Woot goes public.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
bkarney wrote:Oh no, not again. Damn u boucing button... Last wooter to woot: bkarney

Sigh...ditto. In for 1. And I don't even like wine.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
andyduncan wrote:Ok, so here's the thing about wine.woot:

Last night and this morning I've been going back and forth with Laura in PMs trying to figure out a way to get a bottle of this to replace the corked Lab Rat bottle. Javadrinker pipes in and says he can pick up a bottle in Orange and bring it about half way, not to drink it, mind you, but to courier it to me. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to go down to get it (I'm going to see Eddie Izzard tonight, yay).

Meanwhile Laura's tracking down distributors, and we're trying to find a place that has it that I can get to during the day.

I just got a call from Laura and she put a bottle at will call at a shipping house more or less near my office. I'm going to go pick it up at lunch. The race is now on to see if I can swish and spit before this thing sells out.

I'm floored. Really. Hats off to Laura, WD, Java and all the wine.woot fanatics that make this place about way more than just cheap wine.

EDIT: And she did all this, knowing damn well the thing was going to sell out anyway.

Double-glad to have bought, then!

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

javadrinker wrote:Sigh...ditto. In for 1. And I don't even like wine.

CT | | | | | |

javadrinker

jwhite6114 wrote:

When Internet Jokes Go Bad...coming this Fall to FOX!!!!

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 10.077s

Last wooter to woot: ERMD
Quantity Breakdown:
I am not a lemming; damn bouncing button.

DonaldWilliams

javadrinker wrote:Sigh...ditto. In for 1. And I don't even like wine.

I agree. Just like you, I only like going on tours, tasting and buying the stuff.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
andyduncan wrote:Ok, so here's the thing about wine.woot:

Last night and this morning I've been going back and forth with Laura in PMs trying to figure out a way to get a bottle of this to replace the corked Lab Rat bottle. Javadrinker pipes in and says he can pick up a bottle in Orange and bring it about half way, not to drink it, mind you, but to courier it to me. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to go down to get it (I'm going to see Eddie Izzard tonight, yay).

Meanwhile Laura's tracking down distributors, and we're trying to find a place that has it that I can get to during the day.

EDIT: And she did all this, knowing damn well the thing was going to sell out anyway.

If we didn't already know that Laura is first rate, this proves it.

Other sites may sell wine for decent-looking prices, but this is the place to go if you want want well-chosen wines and a terrific community that usually includes the winemakers, rather than "what can we sell for a good markup?". Gotta love it, and I fully expect loving this Cab.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

kramsauer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kramsauer

I've been very good about not ordering during the summer. I know Woot tries to ship smart and charges me two bucks to do so, but I just can't trust the Texas heat. This looks so interesting, however, I broke down. Lets hope it makes it through okay!

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
tkastorff wrote:noble effort andy, but to be honest sounds like a lot of work, for tasting a bottle, especially since it will likely be sold out before you chime in, or at the least, only be able to sway the last couple of buyers as it is bouncing

get back to work =)

What am I going to do, fire myself? :-)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

andyduncan

Ok, screw lunch. Went and got the bottle from Laura's Logistics/Shipper/Whatever.

Quick impressions: Yeah, our other bottle was badly corked. Much bigger, fuller, fruitier wine, even right out of the bottle.

It's a great deal for $22. Buy what's left. Pencilthief and I will post more detailed notes in a couple minutes.

DonaldWilliams

andyduncan wrote:Ok, screw lunch. Went and got the bottle from Laura's Logistics/Shipper/Whatever.

Quick impressions: Yeah, our other bottle was badly corked. Much bigger, fuller, fruitier wine, even right out of the bottle.

It's a great deal for $22. Buy what's left. Pencilthief and I will post more detailed notes in a couple minutes.

It's gotta be tough working for yourself.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
andyduncan wrote:Ok, screw lunch. Went and got the bottle from Laura's Logistics/Shipper/Whatever.

Andy, you truly are the Rat King right about now Above and beyond the call of duty!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

darisgin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darisgin

Dear Gosh, the SAAAA-crifices we w00ters make

for the cause (the cause, the cause).

Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio; Woot Cellars Polyphemus Magnum; Woot Cellars Humbug; Wellington Vineyards Reserve Duo, three pack, three pack + mystery; Peltier Station Lodi Petite Sirah; Ty Caton Three-Pack Sampler; Dry Creek Two-Pack Reds

andyduncan

Round Two:

This is still pretty quick out of the bottle.

The nose is a little strange, kind of metallic, in a weird way, with some soil. Like dirty metal berries. With some vanilla. There's a tiny bit of heat, but it's not overpowering at all.

The taste is dominated by blackberry. With more vanilla. There's oak here, but it's all vanilla and spice, not that acrid nasty over-oaked ridiculousness of some wines.

Finish is yet more blackberries, pepper and tannins, a little warm, but pleasantly, lingeringly warm, not hot. Long finish.

This is a big wine. Lots of fruit, lots of flavor, medium tannins. But it's not overoaked and it hides the alcohol pretty well. I tend to be more of an old-world earthy fan than a big Cali Cab fan, but I like this wine, it's still nicely balanced and it's not all fruit. The nose is interesting, but I don't mean that in an RPM "Interesting = bad" way, I mean interesting, it's different and complex.

If it hasn't sold out while I was typing this, I'd recommend it.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
andyduncan wrote:Round Two:

Would you still recommend it if it has sold out?

Edit:

andyduncan

woopdedoo wrote:Would you still recommend it if it has sold out?

Edit:

Actually, yeah, if you can find it near you I'd pick up a bottle. I think it's worth it even at the $30 price range.

cheron98

andyduncan wrote:Round Two:

You've been packed

kramsauer

Bouncy bouncy.

Bring on the chard.

kramsauer

So I accidentally posted the above post twice. So I'm replacing the second copy with this insightful post.

JanaDahlen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JanaDahlen
andyduncan wrote:

That pushed me over the fence!

Last wooter to woot: JanaDahlen

w.w: 19 s.w: 12 w: 4 k.w:2

Winedavid39

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Impressive.

jwhite6114

Winedavid39 wrote:Impressive.

Which part? That he recommends the wine so strongly or that he went and got wasted at lunch?

CT | | | | | |

andyduncan

Winedavid39 wrote:Impressive.

After all her efforts to get the bottle to me, the least I could do was drive a couple miles to go get it. Would have been downright rude of me not to.

That said, I think I'm going to remove myself from labrat contention, too much stress!

javadrinker

jwhite6114 wrote:Which part? That he recommends the wine so strongly or that he went and got wasted at lunch?

Jealousy and sobriety do not become you good sir.

jwhite6114

javadrinker wrote:Jealousy and sobriety do not become you good sir.

Funny -- that's what the judge said!

CT | | | | | |

pencilthief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pencilthief

It's noon here on the west coast and I've been handed a glass of wine from AndyDuncan (no space). Apparently I've been added to the lab rat duties that Andy has been jumping through hoops to complete.

First. Smell. Dry to slightly moist tinder sticks. A punch of green bell pepper. Hints of mixed berries (nothing too distinct). A decent amount of soil. And a random band-aide sneaks in here and there.

Taste. The Berries jump for me here. Still nothing to distinct. However, it is certainly a dark rich berry. Very well balanced. Not too tannic. The earthy soil is gently blended with the fruit. The pepper makes its way to the end with a slight bit of heat.

A non complex finish. I think with time this wine may provide a bit more length.

I'm not sure what I would pair this up with yet, food wise. Although it is lunch time. So maybe a burger???

Overall. I think this is a steal at this price. I guess I should finish up now so I can purchase before the sell out.

pencilthief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pencilthief

Wow! I guess I just jumped on board with my First post too.

cheron98

You've been packed, pencilthief! Did you get in in time?

That's all folks! It's gone!

andyduncan

pencilthief wrote:It's noon here on the west coast and I've been handed a glass of wine from AndyDuncan (no space). Apparently I've been added to the lab rat duties that Andy has been jumping through hoops to complete.

First. Smell. Dry to slightly moist tinder sticks. A punch of green bell pepper. Hints of mixed berries (nothing to distinct). A decent amount of soil. And a random band-aide sneaks in here and there.

Taste. The Berries jump for me here. Still nothing to distinct. However, it is certainly a dark rich berry. Very well balanced. Not to tannic. The earthy soil is gently blended with the fruit. The pepper makes its way to the end with a slight bit of heat.

A non complex finish. I think with time this wine may provide a bit more length.

I'm not sure what I would pair this up with yet, food wise. Although it is lunch time. So maybe a burger???

Overall. I think this is a steal at this price. I guess I should finish up now so I can purchase before the sell out.

This post brought to you by the letter 'o'... Or lack there of, it's "too", friend, not "to".

jwhite6114

And it's all gone!

Way to go Laura! Now, why did you wait so long to do this?

CT | | | | | |

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

low allocation, isn't it? Interesting.

Either that or I can't do math. Could go either way really.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
jwhite6114 wrote:

Plymptoons! Great stuff.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

javadrinker

oppsie wrote:low allocation, isn't it? Interesting.

Lowish overall allocation but a lot for a single varietal/vintage. That's 1275 bottles!!!!

Edit: And of course, CONGRATS Laura!!!!!

jwhite6114

oppsie wrote:low allocation, isn't it? Interesting.

There have been wines sell more and not sell out, but there have also been many wines not sell this many. Average number sold for a Sell Out though is about 867, so yeah, this was a smaller offer.

Edit: On the other hand, the average price of offers that have sold out is ~$45 ... so this is definitely pricier than most that have sold out.

CT | | | | | |

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
pencilthief wrote:Wow! I guess I just jumped on board with my First post too.

I call shenanigans on this user. Not only did he register a year ago, make multiple purchases, drink andy duncans wine but he liked it too! PLANT!!!

signed.