themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
ashecorvin wrote:JC - I sent you a PM...

Ashe

you have REVEALED my true identity!!! now i must... never mind. JC could be anybody. really.

PM tree in the works.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
themostrighteous wrote:you have REVEALED my true identity!!! now i must... never mind. JC could be anybody. really.

PM tree in the works.

Well, he was Jewish too ;).

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

This looks good--I love my obscure-label reds. In for one.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

eric9tx wrote:I like the wootalyzer. YMMV

I stopped using when our IT staff flagged it as a potential trojan/network leak. Turns out it opens DOZENS of ports/connections to an IP that's linked to distributed computing. They *say* it's just that wootalyzer is running on the same box, but I did notice that my laptop ran poorly whenever wootalyzer was running.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Winedavid39 wrote:hold on to your varment hat. keep an eye on Wednesday. but who knows. as Crash Davis said, " i wouldn't dig in, i don't know where it's going.."

Haven't taken time to consider the "Crash Davis" aspect, but my first thought was either Fess Parker or Parker Station.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
eric9tx wrote:I like the wootalyzer. YMMV

There's a widget/gadget off of the iGoogle page that does woot tracking. I like it. Works pretty well for me. And you can set it to auto-refresh like every 5 seconds during a woot-off.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:so with 2 offerings (note...not necessarily wine if i read the newsletter right) a week, does this mean we have a sliver of a chance of getting a shipping-state limited wine offered sometime this year?

i hate to gripe about it, but the worst has been when wines that were previously offered to us (like the ty...sigh i'm still crying about that one) aren't on the next go around. has there been a uniform change to the policy that i missed?

I've been wondering if not only the winery but the shipping company (WCC) need to have permits to ship to each state and the tediously long states just became Too Difficult to Bother With states and WCC just cut them out. Or maybe because it takes so long and the wine sits in places that aren't temp controlled very well there were too many complaints and second bottles sent out making it just too costly to ship to those states regularly hence, we're not doing it anymore.

Edit: How are you by the way? Never see you around here anymore, miss your input.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
Corrado wrote:Haven't taken time to consider the "Crash Davis" aspect, but my first thought was either Fess Parker or Parker Station.

Yeah, that's my revised thought too once I read through the old Parker Station blog. No idea how to roll a Bull Durham reference into that though. I'd still rather have the Castoro's.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

pengu1n

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n

New hosting service started this week, so let's see how they do. Needed to change some file permissions around but now pengu1n.com/woot2 is up and running again for the wootoff.
-Pengu1n

Edit: Try www.pengu1n.com/woot if the above isn't working. I can get that one up if woot2 is down.

polocruz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polocruz

My baseball inference would be... when a batter is crowding the plate, the pitcher "dusts him off"? As Nuke says, "You have to announce your presence with authority!" Dusted Valley Winery?

That would be cool, since I missed out on it the first time. But I would also love more beaver wine!!

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

But I would also love more beaver wine!![/quote]

....damn that stuff is good. I'm sorry, stupid joke, too much coffee!

CT

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
cheron98 wrote:There's a widget/gadget off of the iGoogle page that does woot tracking. I like it. Works pretty well for me. And you can set it to auto-refresh like every 5 seconds during a woot-off.

You are the man/woman! That is a nice gadget, I love igoogle so this is perfect

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
speedoo wrote:Yes, the Cyberpub is a lovely place to visit for idle chatter, for some. For others, it's a board where posts about wine are regularly ignored (maybe its just me, maybe others see it that way as well... I dunno).

Maybe it's time to add another weekly board, for discussion of wines other than the current offering? Let the Pub continue to be what it has become, but I think we need a board where folks can talk about wine.

I see questions and comments on wine all the time in the pub. Also questions about "What are you drinking tonight".

I think it's not that your posts are ignored, just that sometimes no one has the answer. But some of it could be that there has been a lot of pages in the pub lately, and not everyone will try to read all the pages. So your post gets lost. Just ask it again.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
cheron98 wrote:There's a widget/gadget off of the iGoogle page that does woot tracking. I like it. Works pretty well for me. And you can set it to auto-refresh like every 5 seconds during a woot-off.

I leave an IRC client lurking in the #wootoff channel with an alert set to highlight any occurrences of "New item" from the woot tracking bots that are on that channel. They're generally a couple seconds faster than the regular trackers, and every second counts when you're trying to get that Barrel Of Carignane.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

mjl9320

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320

what's with all the blends anyway

bkarney

mjl9320 wrote:what's with all the blends anyway

It's the winemaker's chance to play!! Bring 'em, on!

CT

bhodilee

mjl9320 wrote:what's with all the blends anyway

Sorry, but I just gotta say your ROCK LOBSTER rules! was it a shirt woot and I missed it?

/end

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

clifwinelinzi

quality posts: 6 Private Messages clifwinelinzi
themostrighteous wrote:thanks, Linzi. for the geeks among us who were in Napa JUST LAST WEEK (i miss it SO MUCH), can you give us a sense of where in Napa these select vineyards are located? Valley-based? Mountain-based? and how long have you been sourcing fruit from them?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I somehow missed this post last night! The Gary's Improv is sourced from Mt. Veeder and Carneros in the Napa Valley. The Cabernet comes from Mt. Veeder - a small appellation in the Mayacamas mountains with steep slopes and well drained soils. The Merlot comes from vineyards in Carneros. This was our first vintage. Sarah Gott joined us after our first vintage and has selected other vineyard sites for her wines. So we just sourced from these vineyards our first year.

bhodilee

clifwinelinzi wrote:Sorry for the delayed reply. I somehow missed this post last night! The Gary's Improv is sourced from Mt. Veeder and Carneros in the Napa Valley. The Cabernet comes from Mt. Veeder - a small appellation in the Mayacamas mountains with steep slopes and well drained soils. The Merlot comes from vineyards in Carneros. This was our first vintage. Sarah Gott joined us after our first vintage and has selected other vineyard sites for her wines. So we just sourced from these vineyards our first year.

You sourced these from Mt. Veeder? That changes things drastically on my end. Did your winemaker shoot for showcasing terroir or are these more fruit forward? I missed the last Mt. Veeder sourced wine and I regret it. If these show off characteristics of the mountain I may have to get these afterall...

MarkDaSpark

andyduncan wrote:I leave an IRC client lurking in the #wootoff channel with an alert set to highlight any occurrences of "New item" from the woot tracking bots that are on that channel. They're generally a couple seconds faster than the regular trackers, and every second counts when you're trying to get that Barrel Of Carignane.

Good one!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
clifwinelinzi wrote:Sorry for the delayed reply. I somehow missed this post last night! The Gary's Improv is sourced from Mt. Veeder and Carneros in the Napa Valley. The Cabernet comes from Mt. Veeder - a small appellation in the Mayacamas mountains with steep slopes and well drained soils. The Merlot comes from vineyards in Carneros. This was our first vintage. Sarah Gott joined us after our first vintage and has selected other vineyard sites for her wines. So we just sourced from these vineyards our first year.

Interesting. So what kind of changes can we expect for future vintages with Sarah at the helm? Does she have a significantly different wine making style than Rob? And what regions did she choose for her grapes?

Hey, and sorry about all of the non-Clif wine fluff we've been spreading around...we get mighty excitable during woot-offs.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

clifwinelinzi

bhodilee wrote:You sourced these from Mt. Veeder? That changes things drastically on my end. Did your winemaker shoot for showcasing terroir or are these more fruit forward? I missed the last Mt. Veeder sourced wine and I regret it. If these show off characteristics of the mountain I may have to get these afterall...

The 2003 Gary's Improv is a very fruit forward wine but I do think that some of the Mt. Veeder characteristics show through.

bhodilee

clifwinelinzi wrote:The 2003 Gary's Improv is a very fruit forward wine but I do think that some of the Mt. Veeder characteristics show through.

Pending rat reports I think you just made yourself a sale. You should consider this as a living. You'd be good at selling high quality foodstuffs ;)

clifwinelinzi

javadrinker wrote:Interesting. So what kind of changes can we expect for future vintages with Sarah at the helm? Does she have a significantly different wine making style than Rob? And what regions did she choose for her grapes?

Hey, and sorry about all of the non-Clif wine fluff we've been spreading around...we get mighty excitable during woot-offs.

No worries...I've enjoyed the dialogue! Sarah does have a slightly different style then Rob so I think you can expect some changes in the 2005 vintage and beyond. Also, the 2005 vintage of the Gary's Improv is a Zinfandel. Sarah chose a vineyard called Somerston Vineyard in the south eastern hills of the Napa Valley for this Zin. The vineyard is about 10 miles east of the Silverado Trail, planted between 1000-2500 feet elevation.

clifwinelinzi

bhodilee wrote:Pending rat reports I think you just made yourself a sale. You should consider this as a living. You'd be good at selling high quality foodstuffs ;)

Well, I hope I don't disappoint! I think you're going to like it though. And it's great drinking now but can still be aged for another few years.

dkralston

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkralston

no wonder I'm such a woot-off loser....if I only knew what this meant... (hand waving over head)....

andyduncan wrote:I leave an IRC client lurking in the #wootoff channel with an alert set to highlight any occurrences of "New item" from the woot tracking bots that are on that channel.....

Elegant. Complex. Distinctive.
You are what you drink!

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
dkralston wrote:no wonder I'm such a woot-off loser....if I only knew what this meant... (hand waving over head)....

Here's the official translation:

"Nerd nerd nerd client nerd nerd nerd geek nerd channel geek geek woot nerd geek channel nerd"

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

bkarney wrote:....damn that stuff is good. I'm sorry, stupid joke, too much coffee!

Joke? That's their slogan (Dam Fine Wine).

bkarney

Corrado wrote:Joke? That's their slogan (Dam Fine Wine).

Ha, had no idea. Great minds.... what's the rest??

CT

dkralston

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkralston
andyduncan wrote:Here's the official translation:

"Nerd nerd nerd client nerd nerd nerd geek nerd channel geek geek woot nerd geek channel nerd"

THAT I get! Thanks!

Elegant. Complex. Distinctive.
You are what you drink!

themostrighteous

Loweeel wrote:Well, he was Jewish too ;).

we MUST be related - no matter that we look nothing alike - cuz that is EXACTLY what i was thinkin'.

MarkDaSpark

FYI,

Just had a 5.8 quake in SoCal area (Diamond Bar, so OC/LA/maybe some Riverside).

Wine is all fine. Nothing to see, move along, move along.

Cesare

quality posts: 1626 Private Messages Cesare
MarkDaSpark wrote:FYI,

Just had a 5.8 quake in SoCal area (Diamond Bar, so OC/LA/maybe some Riverside).

Wine is all fine. Nothing to see, move along, move along.

As long as the wine is ok...

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

themostrighteous

thanks for the response! (i can see why you would have missed this, too, what w/ all that shipping chatter!) i can also see that this is going to be a positive selling point: Robert Craig offered their 2004 Mt. Veeder Cab here earlier this year, and it was a very successful offering (especially for those of us who have tasted it since!). add to that the fact that some of us tasted some surprisingly good 2005 Carneros Merlot (Buena Vista Ramal Vineyard) last week. yes, i know, different vintages / vineyards / winemakers, but good reference points nonetheless.

anyway, i already know that i enjoyed this one, so i'm looking forward to labrat reports on the other one.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
themostrighteous wrote:thanks for the response! (i can see why you would have missed this, too, what w/ all that shipping chatter!) i can also see that this is going to be a positive selling point: Robert Craig offered their 2004 Mt. Veeder Cab here earlier this year, and it was a very successful offering (especially for those of us who have tasted it since!). add to that the fact that some of us tasted some surprisingly good 2005 Carneros Merlot (Buena Vista Ramal Vineyard) last week. yes, i know, different vintages / vineyards / winemakers, but good reference points nonetheless.

anyway, i already know that i enjoyed this one, so i'm looking forward to labrat reports on the other one.

I concur... I read the sourcing of the grapes on the winery website and that was one of the significant factors in influencing me to buy.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000
bhodilee wrote:I've been wondering if not only the winery but the shipping company (WCC) need to have permits to ship to each state and the tediously long states just became Too Difficult to Bother With states and WCC just cut them out. Or maybe because it takes so long and the wine sits in places that aren't temp controlled very well there were too many complaints and second bottles sent out making it just too costly to ship to those states regularly hence, we're not doing it anymore.

Edit: How are you by the way? Never see you around here anymore, miss your input.

hey body-lee - doing well, thanks! i do lurk on the winewoot boards, usually more near the beginning of the week. but since having moved to mass this year, i've been basically cut out of being able to get wine, so have been a little less regular about checking the boards. i keep meaning to drop in on the pub but summertime here's a racket - its like everyone needs to get their 3 seasons of repressed activity out in the summer! places with 4 seasons...how crazy!

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

bhodilee

dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:hey body-lee - doing well, thanks! i do lurk on the winewoot boards, usually more near the beginning of the week. but since having moved to mass this year, i've been basically cut out of being able to get wine, so have been a little less regular about checking the boards. i keep meaning to drop in on the pub but summertime here's a racket - its like everyone needs to get their 3 seasons of repressed activity out in the summer! places with 4 seasons...how crazy!

I know, 4 distinct seasons is great

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

*****TEMPORARY THREAD HIJACK******

Minnesota wooters - time for another gathering!
Check the thread in World of Woot Wines.

That is all. We now return you to your normally scheduled program.

PS: Haven't bought anything in a while, but getting close on this one. Sounds interesting, and it'd certainly catch peoples' eyes. Eagerly awaiting the labrat reports.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

clifwinelinzi wrote:These wines were both made by winemaker Rob Hunter, before Sarah Gott joined us.

To clarify, are we talking about the same Rob Hunter, winemaker previously with Markham, Lyeth, Sterling Vineyards and presently with Bennett Lane?

If so, I figured this was worth noting for anyone that may be unsettled about the craftsman behind the wines being offered here prior to Sarah Gott's arrival. As you can see from his resume he has a solid history in the region.

bkarney

INTLGerard wrote:To clarify, are we talking about the same Rob Hunter, winemaker previously with Markham, Lyeth, Sterling Vineyards and presently with Bennett Lane? If so, this if worth noting if anyone is unsettled about who crafted the wines being offered here before Sarah Gott arrived. As you can see he has a solid history and resume in the region.

Wow, if that is the case consider me off the fence....

CT