cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Winedavid39 wrote:AS Clif Bar Winery winds down, i have to say i'm surprised that the community did not jump at the chance to ask Gary more (any?) questions. Dude is an unbelievable success story, has decided not to sell out Clif Bar to larger food behemiths and appears to be a very cool head.

or is that just me?

I think he got short-changed this week, what with the discussions about the "now-twice-a-week" change, and the "what should the new slogan be", and the woot-off. It's kind of detracted from the usual sense of curiosity that this group usually displays.

Perhaps in the future for weeks when there will be a woot-off (especially a TUESDAY woot-off!), we shouldn't have a NEW winery, but rather a repeat winery. Give the new guys a chance to make their presence without having to compete with the ADD-ness that is caused by the woot-off.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
Winedavid39 wrote:or is that just me?

Nope.

I'm just as guilty as the rest of the "regulars."

There was a lot of positive jive from the rpm tour folks at first, than we all seemed sidetracked by other w00t activities. Two a week, woot off, list gossip, getting clues and so on.

Lack of focus, I guess. Ooo! did you see that! Something shin . . .

yanktex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yanktex

I opened the bottle shortly after arriving home, and poured a couple ounces into my glass and was immediately hit with the fruit. I decanted about half of the rest of the bottle for later tasting.

After sitting for just a couple minutes in the glass the strong fruits have abated a bit but there is a definite hot bite (to my nose at least) to it. That heat, however, is a bit deceiving as I get very little of it when I took the first sip. I was very excited to get the Climber, and likewise excited about Zinfandel being a big component of this blend. I am a big Zin fan, and absolutely love the big fruit bombs typical of Paso Zins. This is not like that. Do not get me wrong, there is definite fruit here, but it is not over-powering and it is certainly not the dominant characteristic. Overall, first impressions are very nice...good, deep color and a nice balance of fruit and acids, a little dry on the finish, but a great red blend. For those who are not big red fans, I would definitely put this into the “easy and approachable” category.

After decanting and breathing a little more, it is even more balanced. The heat and tannins have moved even further to the back and the fruit is more pronounced. Again, the fruit is not overpowering, or even over done. It is there, in good balance with everything else and I am really enjoying it. I have a relatively good palate, but my wine-tasting vocabulary is perhaps not as evolved. Therefore, I will not go into detail about any specific berries I am tasting (they are definitely there, however), and I do sense some licorice and perhaps leather there.

My conclusion is I like it, and I am thrilled I was in for 3. With 25 wine woots since February, I was thrilled to finally be endowed with the privilege to be a LabRat. I apologize for its delay, however, it was out of my control. I hope my brief review is helpful, and if it comes back before the next offer at midnight my recommendation is BUY BUY BUY.

Cheers!
Todd

pssquishy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pssquishy
yanktex wrote:I opened the bottle shortly after arriving home

Cheers!
Todd

Oh, hi!

Are you our last labrat? Thanks for the introduction. Just kidding.

Much better than that other cat who labratted the Climber. Man, I was lost during that one. It didn't help me at all.

Thanks Todd.

cheron98

yanktex wrote:I opened the bottle shortly after arriving home...

You've been packed

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:I think he got short-changed this week, what with the discussions about the "now-twice-a-week" change, and the "what should the new slogan be", and the woot-off. It's kind of detracted from the usual sense of curiosity that this group usually displays.

Perhaps in the future for weeks when there will be a woot-off (especially a TUESDAY woot-off!), we shouldn't have a NEW winery, but rather a repeat winery. Give the new guys a chance to make their presence without having to compete with the ADD-ness that is caused by the woot-off.

I think cheron hit it on the nose. Too much going on this week for us to show our normal interest in a new wine. The favorable reviews from those of us on last week's RPM Tour about this wine helped, along with the great labrat reviews and their excellent ratings on each wine.

But too many distractions (new 2x week offer, why didn't I get the newsletter, what the new name should be, woot-off, wine woot-off detour, etc.) just didn't help keep us focused. Of course the fact that I loved the wine last week and jumped in for two sets didn't help either ... ooh, a shiny!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

pssquishy

MarkDaSpark wrote:I think cheron hit it on the nose. Too much going on this week for us to show our normal interest in a new wine. The favorable reviews from those of us on last week's RPM Tour about this wine helped, along with the great labrat reviews and their excellent ratings on each wine.

Except for that one...

NatalieW

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NatalieW

Well, I thought for sure wine would be up on the woot off after the condoms...well, maybe after the massager now...

MarkDaSpark

pssquishy wrote:Except for that one...

Wasn't that bad. And who has enough wine???

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

NatalieW

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NatalieW

Wine after the toys?

cheron98

... and this is why Gary's been unable to get any good quality time here. Comments on the woot-off items really don't belong here. Pub is fine, regular woot forums also obviously fine. But not here.

pssquishy

NatalieW wrote:Well, I thought for sure wine would be up on the woot off after the condoms...well, maybe after the massager now...

Sorry to bring the bad news Natalie. We've already had our detour but it wasn't announced on the main woot page. It was an Epiphany Trio. Sorry!

pssquishy

cheron98 wrote:... and this is why Gary's been unable to get any good quality time here. Comments on the woot-off items really don't belong here. Pub is fine, regular woot forums also obviously fine. But not here.

Sorry. I meant it for the pub. Don't put this name on probation too!

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

so is there a consensus that it'll be clif bars next.... cause i'm hungry

CT

pssquishy

bkarney wrote:so is there a consensus that it'll be clif bars next.... cause i'm hungry

I like me some clif bars.

Ask Gary. WineDavid said we should ask him more questions.

MarkDaSpark

Temp Thread Hijack for Wine.Woot Public Service Announcement:

CpprCr8 wrote:*** We interrupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement:***

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings

Is there a Woot Wine Gathering in your neck of the woods? If so - come find out what you've been missing! If not...well get off your duff and organize one! We're nice people, and we bring GOOD wine!

Note: Any links take you to page ONE of the thread. Enjoy the read!

8/9 (maybe): NYC #4 - Trekking for Wine
8/15: SoCal #2 - The PSith Master Cometh
8/16: Detroit #2 - Varietal Battle
8/16: Chicago Palate Training
8/23: NoVA/DC #6 - DC Dark & Delicious

Still TBD:
SE Pennsylvania - PLUS Brandywine Valley Wine Trail
JAX Area
Ohio!
Dallas-Fort Worth
Seattle-Area

NoVA/DC #7 thread

*** We now return you to your regularly scheduled Clif Red wine thread. ***

MarkDaSpark

pssquishy wrote:I like me some clif bars.

Wine questions.

Perhaps like .... How different a style is the new winemaker compared to Rob? What does she bring to your upcoming wines (which I think most of us are interested in_?

bkarney

pssquishy wrote:I like me some clif bars.

So gary, I've ordered your wine, and heard good stuff about the bars....and not sure if it's appropriate for the wine topic but......any chance on getting some of the bars, I'm kinda hungry

CT

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Winedavid39 wrote:AS Clif Bar Winery winds down, i have to say i'm surprised that the community did not jump at the chance to ask Gary more (any?) questions. Dude is an unbelievable success story, has decided not to sell out Clif Bar to larger food behemiths and appears to be a very cool head.

or is that just me?

I echo what the other have said. Woot-off + new winery + slogan/2-woots-per-week really detracted from any discussion. The casual discussion I've heard around the office of, "CLIF Bar? I'll pass..." unfortunately may play a bit into the preconceived notion that the folks at Clif Bar Winery aren't serious about making quality wine.

I hope this isn't a a trend if the *winery* routinely changes each week and there are only a few days to feel out the winemaker and get the discussion going.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

pssquishy wrote:Sorry. I meant it for the pub. Don't put this name on probation too!

You realize you've got 100 posts in 2 days. FYI, there *is* something wrong with that.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Aaron385 wrote:So harsh.. what else is there to do in Utah except getting plastered? Oh thats right.. polygamy.

For a state that requires you to visit a LIQUOR STORE to purchase any *beer* higher that 3.2% ABV, I don't see interstate wine shipping getting legalized any time soon.

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
cheron98 wrote:I think he got short-changed this week, what with the discussions about the "now-twice-a-week" change, and the "what should the new slogan be", and the woot-off. It's kind of detracted from the usual sense of curiosity that this group usually displays.

Yeah, I concur - this week in particular was filled with distraction. We were bad this week and acted like the tacky woot folks.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
Corrado wrote:
I hope this isn't a a trend if the *winery* routinely changes each week and there are only a few days to feel out the winemaker and get the discussion going.

I think the onus will be more the labrats being diligent on getting their reports up quick. This can keep the wine discussion going and prompt more discussion from the wine maker at a faster rate.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

MarkDaSpark

Corrado wrote:I echo what the other have said. Woot-off + new winery + slogan/2-woots-per-week really detracted from any discussion. The casual discussion I've heard around the office of, "CLIF Bar? I'll pass..." unfortunately may play a bit into the preconceived notion that the folks at Clif Bar Winery aren't serious about making quality wine.

I am a little surprised that those would be the comments. From all I've heard, Clif bars are considered quality energy (not candy) bars, so one would assume it would transfer over to their wine. Interesting that it doesn't.

But as you say, with the new format, it would leave little time for winery discussion and persuading those on the fence (who will wait until the last second). It seems faster winery participation would be necessary.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
MarkDaSpark wrote:Temp Thread Hijack for Wine.Woot Public Service Announcement:

NoVA/DC #7 thread

HEY!!! You forgot Minnesota!!!
*** We now return you to your regularly scheduled Clif Red wine thread. ***

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote: You Forgot Minnesota

Well, if you don't know it ....

Minnie-sota #3 August 22 (Tentative)

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
NatalieW wrote:Wine after the toys?

Heck no, wine before the toys, then if things go well, bring out the good stuff!!!

rainydz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rainydz

I've checked in World of Wine.woot and don't see anything concerning my issue, so sorry if this has been addressed 25 million times or so already; however:
My Corison 2 pack from June arived leaking and very hot even though there were several little ice packets in the box. I've emailed customer service and still not heard a thing. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do to get it resolved.

I hate the thought of shipping it back for a refund as I really enjoy the Corison, however I'm afraid to try it and end up just pouring it down the drain.

cheron98

rainydz wrote:I've checked in World of Wine.woot and don't see anything concerning my issue, so sorry if this has been addressed 25 million times or so already; however:
My Corison 2 pack from June arived leaking and very hot even though there were several little ice packets in the box. I've emailed customer service and still not heard a thing. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do to get it resolved.

I hate the thought of shipping it back for a refund as I really enjoy the Corison, however I'm afraid to try it and end up just pouring it down the drain.

Oh yikes, no, don't open it. Try emailing them again, maybe send WD a PM if you still don't hear anything after a couple days. They usually handle this stuff pretty well, and relatively quickly, given the volume of emails they deal with every day

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

I think WD's post about not asking more questions in the thread answered my question about whether the Epiphany was considered the second offer of the week...

Which brings me to another question - Clues?

danielsan05

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danielsan05
Corrado wrote:I don't *think* TX residents should get sales tax on wine.woot orders. My [limited] understanding of the tax codes is that an online e-tailer only has to collect tax for in-state orders (or if there is a retail presence in the general vicinity of the purchaser).

Additionally, liquor taxes/fees/etc. tend to be the responsibility of the seller and, since wine.woot is effectively selling to a slew of states, they build those charges into the product cost (as they obviously do with a portion of the shipping charge).

What I don't know is how the legalities of tax liability factor in for a site that's hosted in Missouri with a HQ in Texas with the shipper in California and the seller-of-record being in CA/OR/WA/Other for booze... and occasionally non-booze. Do *you* want to be the one writing the code for that ordering matrix? If so, I sure as hell don't want to be the poor soul stuck QAing that code!

which each cost $49.99
for a subtotal of $99.98
plus shipping + $7.00
minus discount - $5.00
for a total of $101.98

Hrmm....maybe Texas residents get a "we <3 Texas" discount on the wine.woot side.....nothing to see here, move along........forget I said anything at all......

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
MarkDaSpark wrote:I am a little surprised that those would be the comments. From all I've heard, Clif bars are considered quality energy (not candy) bars, so one would assume it would transfer over to their wine. Interesting that it doesn't.

But as you say, with the new format, it would leave little time for winery discussion and persuading those on the fence (who will wait until the last second). It seems faster winery participation would be necessary.

Yeah, but I think the concern from some that haven't dug into the winery is that these would be nothing more than novelty branded wines, like the Sierra Club wines from awhile back or better yet the Elvis wines we had. I'll be honest in that that was my initial thought when I saw them in Napa but I was wowed when I actually tasted the wine. And then I was wowed again once this offer came about and had a chance to look into the Clif Family Winery website.

As to WD's observation, I think Gary didn't get many questions because he didn't really get much chance to be around (in addition to the other issues everyone pointed out). If he had been around more I think we would have asked more Clif-centric questions. Linzi did a great job answering wine-specific questions though.

And as for the calls to take things to the Pub, well, the reality is not everyone goes to the pub. Some people never leave the main thread so this is their only outlet to express concerns or ask questions. The Pub isn't exactly question friendly either. It's really just back and forth chit chat. We have actual woot mods in this place. Let's let them point out when the thread hijacking gets out of hand. We don't need everyone being the thread police. It just makes things worse.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

or is that just me?

Wait, you mean I can't get Clif anymore? Was that on the front page? It usually is, and I don't recall seeing it.

I saw some of the chat about "twice a week" but it wasn't completely clear in the posts I read that it was starting this week. The boards are a lot to read through. A major change, particularly the timing, should appear somewhere up front.

Oh well.

Here's a idea. How about trying something like shirt.woot where if you miss a deal you can still get it as long as there are some left? Maybe not ad infinitum in terms of the wine, but at least until the end of the offering immediately following. Thus the deals would headline for the half week, but would still be available for one full week. Could work. Would be very user-friendly.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I think a lot of the reason we didn't have a lot of questions is directly tied to the RPM tour. Everyone on the RPM tour said, hey I remember this as quite good even with the KILLER WINES we had on the table. For me, that meant I had no questions or concerns and knew the wine was gonna be good.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bkarney

bhodilee wrote:I think a lot of the reason we didn't have a lot of questions is directly tied to the RPM tour. Everyone on the RPM tour said, hey I remember this as quite good even with the KILLER WINES we had on the table. For me, that meant I had no questions or concerns and knew the wine was gonna be good.

Agreed, I was sold on that alone.

CT

UnfrozenCaveman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UnfrozenCaveman

Mine just arrived! Huzzah! With all the reports of delayed shipping, I was not expecting it this week.

cheron98

iByron wrote:Here's a idea. How about trying something like shirt.woot where if you miss a deal you can still get it as long as there are some left? Maybe not ad infinitum in terms of the wine, but at least until the end of the offering immediately following. Thus the deals would headline for the half week, but would still be available for one full week. Could work. Would be very user-friendly.

iByron

I like this idea. A lot!

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

I love living in So Cal despite our earthquakes. My Clif wines just showed up!!!!!! With more ketchup packs for my collection no less.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

ChWaDeT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChWaDeT

I just received my second order of leaking bottles. First was the Chase and now the Clif. I have not received any response from woot to the email I have sent in. I still have another order coming of the Epiphany. Not sure what to do now.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
ChWaDeT wrote:I just received my second order of leaking bottles. First was the Chase and now the Clif. I have not received any response from woot to the email I have sent in. I still have another order coming of the Epiphany. Not sure what to do now.

where do you live? check in with service@woot.com. they will ultimately take care. i'm sorry this happened.