2ndIdentity


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2ndIdentity
bsevern wrote:At least yours shipped....I live 45 minutes away from them and I'm still waiting - HELLO WOOT



Me too. I usually get mine on Tuesday, (if I order on Sunday night) but this week I'm still waiting.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
synchrodan wrote:Can anyone who has tried these Syrahs give me any input as to how they compare to a Ridge Zin vs a Wellington Syrah? What I'm looking to understand before purchasing is that these Syrahs don't have that sweet tinge that you'd find in most Zins (at least the ones I've had). The reviews I read don't make this point clear. (I'm not sure how to properly describe the taste. It might be "cassis"? Lowel knows what I'm talking about here.) Thanks.



Well, I did a test of the 2005 BB vs a 2004 Wellington Syrah Englandcrest today, just for you, along with some of my co-workers. And here's the results...

People were pretty much split right down the middle whether they preferred the BB or the Wellington.

The BB is, as others have said, a HUGE ASS SYRAH. If you like them BIG, this is for you. There's heavy oak on the nose, but it amazingly fruity across the palate (so yes, it has a sweet tinge to it). It was pretty smooth, no heat on it, which I found kind of surprising since it is so young, and has a 15.1% ABV. What fruity fruits? Cassis, blackberries, black cherries, red raspberries. And there's a little bit of leather hiding in it.

The Wellington, by comparison (sorry Peter), was kind of wussy. Now I'm not sure if my palate was corrupted from the BB since I had that one first, so bear that in mind. But the Wellington is much more tart, acidic and sharp, with a bit of heat on the finish - 14.5% ABV on this one. There was more of a minerally quality to it that definitely wasn't there for the Brian Benson. You still get the red fruits and berries on it, but you have to go looking for them. They don't smack you in the face like the BB does.

Both wines were served at approx. 60 degrees, with being opened (but not decanted) for about an hour. They were also served in Riedel Syrah glasses.

The color on both was comparable - deep plum. Both had good legs. Just very different noses and flavor. Very different.

Which did I prefer? Well, I still like my Wellington, but I think it needs more time in the cellar. The Brian Benson seems to be much more drinkable right now, and will probably do well being cellared as well. So if someone gave me the choice between the two to drink right this instant, I'd go with the BB. But, as TMR is now famous for saying, YMMV.

Now, I'm not quite sure why you'd want to compare this to a Zin, since, y'know, they're different grapes...

Hope this helps!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

timblack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages timblack
unixrab wrote:"Syrah is a dark-skinned variety of grape used in wine. Syrah is grown in many countries and is primarily used to produce powerful red wines, which enjoy great popularity in the marketplace, relatively often under the synonym Shiraz. "



Yea I thought Syrah was the term used above the equator and Shiraz was for below the equator....

Aussies started using the term Shiraz and other "south of the equator" countries adapted that term as a solidarity thing (NZ, S Africa)..at least that's what I heard from a winemaking friend.



brianbensoncellars


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianbensoncellars

What's up guys? Just checkin in...

I'll be around tonight if you have any more questions. Slow day in the tastingroom so I have some wine to drink

Thanks again!!!

drksky


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drksky

I don't think I've ever received a wine woot in less than three weeks.

tarheel17


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tarheel17
timblack wrote:Yea I thought Syrah was the term used above the equator and Shiraz was for below the equator....

Aussies started using the term Shiraz and other "south of the equator" countries adapted that term as a solidarity thing (NZ, S Africa)..at least that's what I heard from a winemaking friend.



I've seen California wines labelled shiraz.
Hence my question as to what thoughts the producer/winemaker might have as to his/her choice. I can only assume that when labelled as shiraz, a california wine may be trying to give an indication as to the style of the wine (big, bold, jammy...sorta like BB wines are being described here) as more like something from the southern hemisphere, in contrast to a 'syrah' which may taste more like something from the Rhone area of France, for instance. Of course, it might also not taste like a Rhone at all.

Given the descriptions floating around here, I'd equate this wine, well the 2005, to something more like a shiraz . To my personal palate, of course.

Twisted Oak Tempranillo, Roessler Blue Jay, K Vintners, Corison Kronos (x3), Twisted Oak (x2), Substance, Corison, PoiZin, Lange (x2), Three Rivers

hld1970


quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
drksky wrote:I don't think I've ever received a wine woot in less than three weeks.



Where in Illinois are you? Also, are you a vet or an md?

______________________________________________
"My only regret in life is that I didn't drink more wine." --Hemingway

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
tarheel17 wrote:I've seen California wines labelled shiraz.
Hence my question as to what thoughts the producer/winemaker might have as to his/her choice. I can only assume that when labelled as shiraz, a california wine may be trying to give an indication as to the style of the wine (big, bold, jammy...sorta like BB wines are being described here) as more like something from the southern hemisphere, in contrast to a 'syrah' which may taste more like something from the Rhone area of France, for instance. Of course, it might also not taste like a Rhone at all.

Given the descriptions floating around here, I'd equate this wine, well the 2005, to something more like a shiraz . To my personal palate, of course.



So far, the use in California of the term Shiraz has been for marketing and not as an indication of style. Wine factories seem to prefer "Shiraz", especially for their under $10 wines because of the market developed by imports from Oz. The only others I can think of are wineries with an Oz connection (winemaker and/or ownership).

You're not the first to suggest using the terms to indicate style, but it ain't gonna happen. There's too many cowboys in the wine business; most of us want to do it our way.

synchrodan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan
cheron98 wrote:Well, I did a test of the 2005 BB vs a 2004 Wellington Syrah Englandcrest today, just for you, along with some of my co-workers. And here's the results...

People were pretty much split right down the middle whether they preferred the BB or the Wellington.

The BB is, as others have said, a HUGE ASS SYRAH. If you like them BIG, this is for you. There's heavy oak on the nose, but it amazingly fruity across the palate (so yes, it has a sweet tinge to it). It was pretty smooth, no heat on it, which I found kind of surprising since it is so young, and has a 15.1% ABV. What fruity fruits? Cassis, blackberries, black cherries, red raspberries. And there's a little bit of leather hiding in it.

The Wellington, by comparison (sorry Peter), was kind of wussy. Now I'm not sure if my palate was corrupted from the BB since I had that one first, so bear that in mind. But the Wellington is much more tart, acidic and sharp, with a bit of heat on the finish - 14.5% ABV on this one. There was more of a minerally quality to it that definitely wasn't there for the Brian Benson. You still get the red fruits and berries on it, but you have to go looking for them. They don't smack you in the face like the BB does.

Both wines were served at approx. 60 degrees, with being opened (but not decanted) for about an hour. They were also served in Riedel Syrah glasses.

The color on both was comparable - deep plum. Both had good legs. Just very different noses and flavor. Very different.

Which did I prefer? Well, I still like my Wellington, but I think it needs more time in the cellar. The Brian Benson seems to be much more drinkable right now, and will probably do well being cellared as well. So if someone gave me the choice between the two to drink right this instant, I'd go with the BB. But, as TMR is now famous for saying, YMMV.

Now, I'm not quite sure why you'd want to compare this to a Zin, since, y'know, they're different grapes...

Hope this helps!




I appreciate the input! It's not that I think it's like a Zin -- there is just a certain part of most Zins' taste that they exhibit that cause me not to like them very much. Some Petite Sirah has the same attribute. Most Syrah does not, but it sounds like the BBC 2005 might. As a result, frankly, I am a little worried that the BBC 2005 is too Zin-like for my palate, but I do love big Syrah, so I'll give the offering a shot. I pulled the trigger after reading your post. (First time I wooted on my new iPhone. llo)

kyjo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyjo

I would buy this but TN has these pleasantly upbeat laws.
Moonshine only unfortunately...

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Somewhat surprised this hasn't sold out yet, but could be because of all the wineaux buying out Napa/Sonoma this past week during the RPM Wine Tour, and not being around the threads this week.

And in case:

Thread that started it all in World of Woot Wine

and the Field Notes during the trip.


AND WHERE ARE OUR CLUES!!!!! WE WANTZ OUR CLUES!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
MarkDaSpark wrote:Somewhat surprised this hasn't sold out yet, but could be because of all the wineaux buying out Napa/Sonoma this past week during the RPM Wine Tour, and not being around the threads this week.

And in case:

Thread that started it all in World of Woot Wine

and the Field Notes during the trip.


AND WHERE ARE OUR CLUES!!!!! WE WANTZ OUR CLUES!!



Mark, it was great meeting and talking with you this past week.

I'm going to be in the Yosemite high country all week - no internet, no phone, etc. Keep the questions and comments coming; I'll respond next week. We're busy packing all the easy cook meals, trail mix, energy bars and such.

Lighter


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
SonomaBouliste wrote:I'm going to be in the Yosemite high country all week - no internet, no phone, etc. We're busy packing all the trail mix, energy bars and such.



Hope you've packed a breathing mask. Sounds like a classic great trip!

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Lighter wrote:Hope you've packed a breathing mask. Sounds like a classic great trip!



I'm hopeful that we'll climb above all the smoke. I really don't need both thin and dirty air.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
SonomaBouliste wrote:Mark, it was great meeting and talking with you this past week.

I'm going to be in the Yosemite high country all week - no internet, no phone, etc. Keep the questions and comments coming; I'll respond next week. We're busy packing all the easy cook meals, trail mix, energy bars and such.



Thanks! It was really great meeting you and viewing the vines right outside. And Toby was great too.

We loved the tour, "This used to be a bar ..." during the drive to Little and dropping you off on our way to GB.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

damightyanteater


quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
drksky wrote:I don't think I've ever received a wine woot in less than three weeks.



Im in IL as well. When I first started wine wooting I could expect the wine the same week if I pulled the trigger real early or soon the next week if I was later in the week. It has progressively gotten slower and now I don't expect my wine till 2 weeks after the fact if I am fast or 3 if I am slow. I don't know what has changed in thier shipping, but alas - I hope it swings back the other way.

    My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

Corrado


quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Isn't it about time for a clue??

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado
**********************


It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
Corrado wrote:Isn't it about time for a clue??



I was thinking the same thing my dear friend. Even though I am impecunious and should NOT buy any wine. SHOULD NOT. SHOULD NOT. SHOULD NOT.

What are we due for anyway?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

Is anyone alive out here in internet land?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
kylemittskus wrote:Is anyone alive out here in internet land?



Nope.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Nope.



No one is alive... but someone is responding to me...

AH!! A zombie!!!

Aim for the head!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
damightyanteater wrote:Im in IL as well. When I first started wine wooting I could expect the wine the same week if I pulled the trigger real early or soon the next week if I was later in the week. It has progressively gotten slower and now I don't expect my wine till 2 weeks after the fact if I am fast or 3 if I am slow. I don't know what has changed in thier shipping, but alas - I hope it swings back the other way.



Summer shipping may be slower, since they may wait until they have a full load before sending it to the UPS hub.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Summer shipping may be slower, since they may wait until they have a full load before sending it to the UPS hub.



What does that have to do with clues or zombies Mark? Let's try to stay on topic here.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Corrado wrote:Isn't it about time for a clue??



I think one of the tourists' posts might contain one "or two"

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Corrado wrote:Isn't it about time for a clue??



I asked at 10:00 am, but nothing yet. Maybe WD broke the Computer with the basketball again.

Or he's just waiting until I leave for the parental units bday celebration


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

What are the odds that we get the new woot offering?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
SonomaBouliste wrote:I think one of the tourists' posts might contain one "or two"



We're getting the half-barrels for $5 shipping!!! Whoo Hoo!!

Aaarrrggghhhh. So many good wines (and wineries) discussed.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:We're getting the half-barrels for $5 shipping!!! Whoo Hoo!!

Aaarrrggghhhh. So many good wines (and wineries) discussed.



$7. It's summer shipping.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
SonomaBouliste wrote:I think one of the tourists' posts might contain one "or two"



Well, Day 2 of the tour was Wellington, Little, Gundlach-Bundschu (Gun-Lock-Bun-Shoe), and Buena Vista. Any of which would be excellent!

So my guess would be Little or Buena Vista.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:$7. It's summer shipping.



The barrels don't need refrigeration. $5.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:The barrels don't need refrigeration. $5.



$5.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:
So my guess would be Little or Buena Vista.



What are each known for?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Loweeel


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

WD, was the sample bottle from tonight's offering?

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
Loweeel wrote:WD, was the sample bottle from tonight's offering?



What was the sample bottle?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:What are each known for?



Buena Vista had some tasty Carneros PNs. Little had some nice blends. We tasted several different varietals there and all were yummy.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

hld1970


quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
kylemittskus wrote:What are each known for?




Buena Vista is known for their social club.

______________________________________________
"My only regret in life is that I didn't drink more wine." --Hemingway

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Buena Vista had some tasty Carneros PNs. Little had some nice blends. We tasted several different varietals there and all were yummy.



We just had a PN offering though...

Cab Sav maybe? We also haven't had any whites lately (which I am totally ok with.) And PS.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
kylemittskus wrote:What was the sample bottle?



Where have you been, PSquishy? Your questions were answered, before you asked them, in some other threads. Shall I call Cheron to get out her clubs, or Loweeel and the meat grinder?! Now run along, read the other threads, and if you still don't understand, well......

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
sanity wrote:Where have you been, PSquishy? Your questions were answered, before you asked them, in some other threads. Shall I call Cheron to get out her clubs, or Loweeel and the meat grinder?! Now run along, read the other threads, and if you still don't understand, well......



Now, wouldn't it have been easier for you to just answer than write all of those promises, I mean threats, out?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
kylemittskus wrote:Now, wouldn't it have been easier for you to just answer than write all of those promises, I mean threats, out?



Well, of course, it would have been easier... for you. I'm not your momma, and even if I were, I'd still say, very sweetly, mind you, go look it up yourself.