coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
Alaska1 wrote:I also live and work in Minnesota. In Minneapolis. Where are you?

I sent you a PM.

MINNESOTA WOOTERS - we need to plan the next wine tasting. I'll start a thread in the "World Of" forum.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

brianbensoncellars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianbensoncellars
coynedj wrote:Those particular words can be dangerous - be careful who you say them to!

I'm kidding. Got the cougar-cook job filled ;)

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

WD / winefarm / etc

can you respond to the question on the last page of last weeks offering? thx

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

Sounds good!

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

pongx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pongx

Buying wine online is tricky. You never know what you're going to get until you get it. Then it's either awesome or not. Hmmm.... decisions decisions.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

Anyone have any clues as to if there will be a second offering this week? I personally would like to get my hands on some of that Karma.....of course some Grenache would be nice as well!!!

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bkarney wrote:Anyone have any clues as to if there will be a second offering this week? I personally would like to get my hands on some of that Karma.....of course some Grenache would be nice as well!!!

Doubtful, since we haven't seen any notice on the front page of there being a second offering. They usually warn us about these things

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
pongx wrote:Buying wine online is tricky. You never know what you're going to get until you get it. Then it's either awesome or not. Hmmm.... decisions decisions.

I think this applies to all wine you buy that you've never had before.

hk94

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hk94
clayfu wrote:I think this applies to all wine you buy that you've never had before.

If anything, buying wine online (or at least from wine.woot) is less arbitrary than buying it in a store or a restaurant. When you buy a bottle that way, what are you basing your purchase on? Price point, maybe a recommendation from a friend or the store/restaurant staff, or if you've done some research, maybe a review in one of the wine rags. At least here, you know you often get to talk with the winemaker, and hear opinions from a bunch of people who have nothing to gain or lose on your sale, so you get an honest perspective.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
hk94 wrote:If anything, buying wine online (or at least from wine.woot) is less arbitrary than buying it in a store or a restaurant. When you buy a bottle that way, what are you basing your purchase on? Price point, maybe a recommendation from a friend or the store/restaurant staff, or if you've done some research, maybe a review in one of the wine rags. At least here, you know you often get to talk with the winemaker, and hear opinions from a bunch of people who have nothing to gain or lose on your sale, so you get an honest perspective.

Couldn't agree more. While I enjoy some Syrah, it's not my favorite. However, Brian's attitude and participation are quickly pushing me off the fence.

edit: I mean that in a good way!

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

chrischoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrischoo

With all this input from Brian, how can one resist trying the wine of someone so passionate about what he does! I waited until Wednesday, but here I am....in for two! Hurray for the family winemakers!

hk94

Just finished the rest of the labrat bottle. All the heat I tasted last night is now gone. There is a little bit of a raisin aroma I'm picking up, but it's minor.

Cannot wait for the regular shipment. Wish I ordered 3.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
Krugsters wrote:OK..."heavy and earthy" from Paul's report pushed me over the edge. Right up my alley.

Anyway...I have to have something to cheer me up for not being on the tour right now.

In for 1.

WD- Our wine has been arriving sans ice packs (2x now). Is this typical for the East Coast shipments?

Brian Benson Cellars Syrah - Two Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 1m 23.157s

Last wooter to woot: Krugsters

East Coast stuff is sent in a refrigerated truck, so no "ketchup packs". My stuff gets shipped to Chicagoland and I don't get them either because it is first shipped to the east coast then makes its way here.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

K00L

quality posts: 0 Private Messages K00L

I would be happy to drive from LAX to SLO to see Brian in the stockades in ole' Paso Robles. I will even bring my own fruit to throw at him in scorn!!!!
:-)

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
tommythecat78 wrote:East Coast stuff is sent in a refrigerated truck, so no "ketchup packs".

That's what I thought. Thanks Tommy.

brianbensoncellars

Thanks for all the positive comments. I'm glad you guys enjoy the wines!

The big Mid-State fair has come to town..... and yes I am going down to join in the sillyness. Guess we'll see how the syrah goes with funnel cake and corn dogs...

I'll try and check back later tonight so if you have any more questions...

Thanks again! I've had a lot of fun!

Brian

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
pongx wrote:Buying wine online is tricky. You never know what you're going to get until you get it. Then it's either awesome or not. Hmmm.... decisions decisions.

I typically find that I get wine when I order wine online.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

unixrab

quality posts: 11 Private Messages unixrab
tarheel17 wrote:Brian,
great answer! Winemaking has that draw that just locks you in and doesn't let go, doesn't it? I've witnessed it with friends of mine here in WA.

Another question, just to keep you on your toes...if you are moving more toward the bigger, bolder syrahs, will you continue to call your Denner wine a syrah? Would the term 'shiraz' be more appropriate? I'm really just interested in your take, as a winemaker, on the image and associated expectation of consumers who pick up a bottle labelled syrah vs shiraz. What do you think?

"Syrah is a dark-skinned variety of grape used in wine. Syrah is grown in many countries and is primarily used to produce powerful red wines, which enjoy great popularity in the marketplace, relatively often under the synonym Shiraz. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

duck833

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duck833

In for two!!! Brian did it for me, I expect this wine will show lots of love and gusto.

I am full of Oregon Pinot Noir here in Eugene, heck I might have over 18 cases right now in stock.

Going to BBQ for the Ducks football team in a couple of weeks, need something that will holdup with my ribs, brisket and pulled pork (just for the cook and helpers though). This will do just fine in some red cups while we are cooking for the boys.

Go Ducks!!! Beat those Fuskeys

good food, good wine, bad girl = great evening

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

brianbensoncellars wrote:Thanks for all the positive comments. I'm glad you guys enjoy the wines!

The big Mid-State fair has come to town..... and yes I am going down to join in the sillyness. Guess we'll see how the syrah goes with funnel cake and corn dogs...

I'll try and check back later tonight so if you have any more questions...

Thanks again! I've had a lot of fun!

Brian

i saw Alabama in concert at the Big Paso Robles Mid state fair when i was 17. they always attract great talent (Alabama was big back then).

brianbensoncellars

Winedavid39 wrote:i saw Alabama in concert at the Big Paso Robles Mid state fair when i was 17. they always attract great talent (Alabama was big back then).

Last year aerosmith came. Big news in little ol paso... just saw John Mayer tonight

madpoet

quality posts: 4 Private Messages madpoet

So last night we had the rest of the bottle with a nice steak. Decanted for 24 hours at that point. It became fairly mild in my opinion. The peppery taste was almost completely lost, although it did still leave some heat on the back of the tongue. The wife enjoyed it a lot more. Said it had really lightened up. I don't think I personally preferred it decanted that long, I liked it better with the pepper bite.

hk94

tommythecat78 wrote:East Coast stuff is sent in a refrigerated truck, so no "ketchup packs". My stuff gets shipped to Chicagoland and I don't get them either because it is first shipped to the east coast then makes its way here.

I'm in Chicagoland, and I got the ketchup packets.

thepatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepatch
daddybush wrote:...We paired it with veal parmesan and garlic bread, got through a little more than half a glass each and decided to wait to finish the bottle until after our meal...

blolumz wrote:...Round two: chicken parmesan. My chicken didn't stand a chance...

Did the labrat packages come with a 'pair with <something> Parmesan' note? :D
I'll be going to the local butcher for some blackened ribeyes when my order comes in.

Any chance we can order up 2 of the 05's? I love me some big ass Syrah's. Or maybe woot can by mistake ship me 2 of them...hint hint :D. Yes, I know I could order 4 bottles and get 2 05's, but I gotta conserve some $$. between wine.woot and my bi-weekly trips to Sam's Liquors, I'm gonna go to the poorhouse.

laurmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurmom
brianbensoncellars wrote:Last year aerosmith came. Big news in little ol paso... just saw John Mayer tonight

I am staying with my family in Nipomo this week. I wanted to drag everyone to see John Mayer last night but with 5 kids in tow it gets a bit expensive to go to the fair.
I AM going to try to talk my dad into coming to visit YOU today though Brian. Will you be around? I'm taking the kids surfing this morning but maybe later this afternoon?
I'll check back!
I have been DYING driving past and through all the vineyards and not stop!

brianbensoncellars

laurmom wrote:I am staying with my family in Nipomo this week. I wanted to drag everyone to see John Mayer last night but with 5 kids in tow it gets a bit expensive to go to the fair.
I AM going to try to talk my dad into coming to visit YOU today though Brian. Will you be around? I'm taking the kids surfing this morning but maybe later this afternoon?
I'll check back!
I have been DYING driving past and through all the vineyards and not stop!

I'll be bouncing around but could try and meet up with him. I'm only open for tasting Fri- Sun 10:30am - 5:00pm so I won't have any wines open... But give me a call 805.296.9463

caliday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caliday

No DC again. First the pinots and now this.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
thepatch wrote:Any chance we can order up 2 of the 05's? I love me some big ass Syrah's. Or maybe woot can by mistake ship me 2 of them...hint hint :D. Yes, I know I could order 4 bottles and get 2 05's, but I gotta conserve some $$. between wine.woot and my bi-weekly trips to Sam's Liquors, I'm gonna go to the poorhouse.

Hey, patch - I'm more interested in the 04 - maybe if we can work out the logistics and stuff, we could do a trade!

Of course, my guess is you live a thousand or so miles away so that'll never happen. I'm in Minnesota.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
hk94 wrote:If anything, buying wine online (or at least from wine.woot) is less arbitrary than buying it in a store or a restaurant. When you buy a bottle that way, what are you basing your purchase on? Price point, maybe a recommendation from a friend or the store/restaurant staff, or if you've done some research, maybe a review in one of the wine rags. At least here, you know you often get to talk with the winemaker, and hear opinions from a bunch of people who have nothing to gain or lose on your sale, so you get an honest perspective.

well, i don't disagree w/ you about the high utility of w.w, but i would make a couple of observations:

1. i LOVE talking to winemakers on w.w as much as anybody, but a winemaker's perspective, while no doubt honest, is not necessarily OBJECTIVE. i am not & have never been a winemaker, but i would guess that winemakers consider their wines their children, and those of us who have children know how difficult it is to view them objectively. that's all.

2. i believe that your statement about the low utility of buying wines in a wine store is largely true given HOW most consumers buy wine today. most consumers view wine stores as they do other stores: few bother to develop a working relationship w/ one or two wine buyers at wine stores, a common practice in the pre-Internet era & pretty common still among wineaux. i would suggest to you based on personal experience that investing the time in developing a working relationship w/ someone whose palate closely matches yours (which you can only determine by tasting wine w/ them in their wine store-hosted tastings) is a VERY reliable way of dramatically increasing the utility level of wine stores to your wine selection & purchasing experience.

but, as always, YMMV.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

themostrighteous

clayfu wrote:I think this applies to all wine you buy that you've never had before.

so very true.

themostrighteous

Gatzby wrote:I typically find that I get wine when I order wine online.

themostrighteous

Winedavid39 wrote:i saw Alabama in concert at the Big Paso Robles Mid state fair when i was 17. they always attract great talent (Alabama was big back then).

now THAT, my friend, dates you BIG time.

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis

Ok, I've been sitting on the fence all week reading the blog comments, some very unique to say the least. I thank Brian for his honesty and openness. Great to see the enthusiasm in fruit magic and tolerance of the blog communication. My wine frig is full and I have bottles on the cool basement floor. It's shaping into a typical hot Ohio summer for shipping. At my age I've learned to XXit or get off the pot or just start winging it. No time to worry about incidentals, just focus on hard work and enjoyment. Thanks to Brian (my son's name also) and the labrats, I've gotta go in for two. One to awaken taste buds and the other to gloat on a great choice. By the time the wine arrives, I'll have the frig paired down...knowing hot August will be here shortly and I'll be mighty thirsty. May have to take some to the boat. With the price of gas, there's a lot of time to spend dockside. Thanks again Brian. If you want, please throw in some Karma also!

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb

Not quite what I'm looking for. Alcohol levels are higher than the style of wine I like, though for Central Coast Syrah the wine appears far more balanced and conscientiously made than the typical 16% alc fruit bomb. The pairing of two vintages with very different winemaking approaches is pretty enticing as well.

My last (and first) buy was the Twisted Oak 3-pack. I'm holding out for another w.w that has a few varietals or blends that are a bit off the beaten path. A 3 pack of Cab Franc, Pinot and Nebbiolo would be good--two oddballs with one popular choice. Or perhaps a Super-Tuscan paired with a Rhone blend.

Zin, Pinot, Syrah, Cab S, and Bordeaux blends are easy to find and good bottles can (usually) be found under $15. If I'm paying over $15 per bottle, though, I limit my online buys to varietals and blends that are less prevalent or more unique.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

gcdyersb

themostrighteous wrote:
2. i believe that your statement about the low utility of buying wines in a wine store is largely true given HOW most consumers buy wine today. most consumers view wine stores as they do other stores: few bother to develop a working relationship w/ one or two wine buyers at wine stores, a common practice in the pre-Internet era & pretty common still among wineaux. i would suggest to you based on personal experience that investing the time in developing a working relationship w/ someone whose palate closely matches yours (which you can only determine by tasting wine w/ them in their wine store-hosted tastings) is a VERY reliable way of dramatically increasing the utility level of wine stores to your wine selection & purchasing experience.

Or, as a compromise between old fashioned shopping and e-commerce, get on the email list of a local wine shop or two. You'll find out about upcoming tastings, and they'll definitely tell you what they think is a good buy in the $8-$15 range since that's where they do most of their volume sales. You should find out pretty quickly if the wine they sell (or push, in some cases) suits your tastes.

themostrighteous

gcdyersb wrote:Or, as a compromise between old fashioned shopping and e-commerce, get on the email list of a local wine shop or two. You'll find out about upcoming tastings, and they'll definitely tell you what they think is a good buy in the $8-$15 range since that's where they do most of their volume sales. You should find out pretty quickly if the wine they sell (or push, in some cases) suits your tastes.

tru dat gcd.

blolumz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blolumz
hk94 wrote:Just finished the rest of the labrat bottle...

madpoet wrote:So last night we had the rest of the bottle with a nice steak...

Hmm, I feel like I'm doing this wrong. My bottle didn't make it to Wednesday.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
gcdyersb wrote:Not quite what I'm looking for. Alcohol levels are higher than the style of wine I like, though for Central Coast Syrah the wine appears far more balanced and conscientiously made than the typical 16% alc fruit bomb. The pairing of two vintages with very different winemaking approaches is pretty enticing as well.

My last (and first) buy was the Twisted Oak 3-pack. I'm holding out for another w.w that has a few varietals or blends that are a bit off the beaten path. A 3 pack of Cab Franc, Pinot and Nebbiolo would be good--two oddballs with one popular choice. Or perhaps a Super-Tuscan paired with a Rhone blend.

Zin, Pinot, Syrah, Cab S, and Bordeaux blends are easy to find and good bottles can (usually) be found under $15. If I'm paying over $15 per bottle, though, I limit my online buys to varietals and blends that are less prevalent or more unique.

I have a different opinion then you from just about everything you said, but as a person who's shopped here a while, it's very rare to find the 'three pack' you've idealized, mostly because people want different things.

edit: I don't want to sound like a hater, so I'd like to clarify. We see a lot of older-than-current-release vintages here and white/red pairs that make the white/red drinkers groan, respectively. Also, not sure about the abundance of good Pinot & CS below $15, but agree that there are good Rhone/Cali Syrahs for that price. "Interesting varietals" frequently come at a discount (even well known ones like Grenache), imho.

signed.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
canonizer wrote:I have a different opinion then you from just about everything you said, but as a person who's shopped here a while, it's very rare to find the 'three pack' you've idealized, mostly because people want different things.

I agree, if anything, IMHO it is nice to see more vertical offerings so that we can see the changes from year to year.

CT

gcdyersb

canonizer wrote:I have a different opinion then you from just about everything you said, but as a person who's shopped here a while, it's very rare to find the 'three pack' you've idealized, mostly because people want different things.

edit: I don't want to sound like a hater, so I'd like to clarify. We see a lot of older-than-current-release vintages here and white/red pairs that make the white/red drinkers groan, respectively. Also, not sure about the abundance of good Pinot & CS below $15, but agree that there are good Rhone/Cali Syrahs for that price. "Interesting varietals" frequently come at a discount (even well known ones like Grenache), imho.

Your reading of my statement is a bit narrow. I don't mean to say that there must be one combo in particular, just that my preference is for variety as long as there's something interesting there. Verticals are relatively enticing, but I don't see myself drinking 2 $20 bottles of wine side by side just to differentiate vintages.

The problem with Pinot and CS is more of a 'signal to noise' issue. There's tons of it, and only a few real winners in the mid-price range. There's maybe 5 times as much good CS as good CF under $20, but 50 times more CS bottlings to sort through. There are resources, though, like the web and local wine shops that can help cut out 90% of the insipid stuff and leave you with the 10% of the wine that's worth trying.

I don't have trouble finding CS or Syrah or even Pinot I like at the price point I desire. It's the 'exotic' varietals that are hard to come by at any price point.