Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

lodiwino wrote:Second attempt here at woot. Was underwhelmed by the Ty Caton Field blend - we'll see in a week or so I guess

The TC FB I had needed some time in the decanter before it started showing its colors. Despite being a similar blend, the TyTanium still beats its pants off (and at more than twice the price, it should!)

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

PasoWino wrote:Yeah...I see your point! Actually, since I have a vast amount of relationships in the wine industry locally I can probably do better cause I don't have to pay for shipping. I wanted to check out the "woot" to scoop up some wines from out of the area that I wouldn't normally hear about...at a deep discount.

A brick, knowledge of where the winery's tasting room keeps the wine, and some good running shoes is frequent the only way to truly get a better deal, even for folks would could heft the aforementioned brick onto the winery's property.

We've got a few ITB folks who frequent the boards. Hope you *do* stick around and smarten us up a bit from time to time. To step away from the TPB and MP:THG movie quotes, "What would you say... ya do [in the industry]?"

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
brianbensoncellars wrote:From what I hear though the wines kind of go through stages where they get worse... then get better... maybe I'll just hold back a few barrels

I know a place where you might be able to find buyers, provided it turns out to your liking... oh, what was the name of it, though...starts with a W....

amylocati

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amylocati
PasoWino wrote:Yeah...I see your point! Actually, since I have a vast amount of relationships in the wine industry locally I can probably do better cause I don't have to pay for shipping. I wanted to check out the "woot" to scoop up some wines from out of the area that I wouldn't normally hear about...at a deep discount.

Woot usually offers a better deal than even industry discounts, store discounts, etc. I buy wine from wine.woot even when the winery is next door to me because it is a better deal, even with the small shipping charge added. Great deals are what Woot is all about!

PasoWino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PasoWino
Corrado wrote:A brick, knowledge of where the winery's tasting room keeps the wine, and some good running shoes is frequent the only way to truly get a better deal, even for folks would could heft the aforementioned brick onto the winery's property.

We've got a few ITB folks who frequent the boards. Hope you *do* stick around and smarten us up a bit from time to time. To step away from the TPB and MP:THG movie quotes, "What would you say... ya do [in the industry]?"

I actually didnt say I was ITB...I am just connected...and I am a big consumer and promoter of several wineries that hook me up...like I said looking for out of the area wineries...No. CA ... With all that said Brian's wines are great! if you have tasted them you know thats true.

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez

Last wooter to woot: deaconbluez

I've been laying low lately, busy at work, but I love Syrah, so I got the credit card back out.

I see Clay is still keeping everyone entertained! I have to say, reading those posts, I was thinking pretty much the same thing as Clay, but I probably would have been a bit more tactful with my response. Clay is young and impetuous, I am old and tactful (sometimes).

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Brian, any plans to try making a Petite Sirah? Clearly, someone of your talents and creativity could handle the challenge posed by its face-smashing tannins.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

brianbensoncellars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianbensoncellars
Loweeel wrote:Brian, any plans to try making a Petite Sirah? Clearly, someone of your talents and creativity could handle the challenge posed by its face-smashing tannins.

Funny you should say that

On the hunt for some petite as we speak. I figure with a long cold soak the wine would be black. Thinking about doing some tempranillo too.

syrah / temp / mourv blend???

ksreynolds74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksreynolds74

I'm in for one....another Florida wooter here. Wife's pregnant, so I'm gonna have a nice collection going by the time the little boy is born in October!

Loweeel

brianbensoncellars wrote:Funny you should say that

On the hunt for some petite as we speak. I figure with a long cold soak the wine would be black. Thinking about doing some tempranillo too.

I swear to god, if you're making PS, I'll buy a case of futures RIGHT THIS INSTANT. Bet you'd sell at least 5 more cases in futures on here alone.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

brianbensoncellars

Loweeel wrote:I swear to god, if you're making PS, I'll buy a case of futures RIGHT THIS INSTANT. Bet you'd sell at least 5 more cases in futures on here alone.

I'm not promising futures but if you sign-up for my mailing list you'll get offered all future releases first. www.brianbensoncellars.com

Loweeel

brianbensoncellars wrote:I'm not promising futures but if you sign-up for my mailing list you'll get offered all future releases first. www.brianbensoncellars.com

Done. I'm a man-whore for PS. And I'm happy to sample any you release for my PS blog (see link in my sig) . Like I said, man-whore.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
PasoWino wrote:Wow Clayfu...you don't have to be so hostile to us newcomers to wine woot. I have been hearing buzz about this website for months and finally loged on to find a great Paso Robles variety on sale....I have been enjoying fine wines from this region for 17 years...and have seen it grow Immensely...Who are you?

I know who I am, not someone who just signed up and decided to spout how great this wine is. SUSPICIOUS MUCH? YES I AM!

clayfu

deaconbluez wrote:Last wooter to woot: deaconbluez

I've been laying low lately, busy at work, but I love Syrah, so I got the credit card back out.

I see Clay is still keeping everyone entertained! I have to say, reading those posts, I was thinking pretty much the same thing as Clay, but I probably would have been a bit more tactful with my response. Clay is young and impetuous, I am old and tactful (sometimes).

he/she is the second person, so I don't think i'm in the wrong for questioning who the hell these people are.

clayfu

Corrado wrote:Long story short, clayfu is snarky.

The long version of the short store: There have been occasions where a wineries have solicited friends to come in & talk-up their wines to boost sales. That kinda stuff gets sniffed out pretty quickly (members with current-week join date & no purchases) and frequently has the opposite of the intended effect.

Spending money here is obviously not a requirement for partipation and any & all are welcome to mingle here in the forums. That said, suspicions are aroused when folks with current sign-up dates gush and wax poetic about the wines being offered (at a price lower than virtually anyone outside of the winery can get it) but evidently don't care for it enough to add some to their cellar via wine.woot.

If you're still around next week, we'll know which side of the trellis you're on.

$5 says he's on next week just to prove a point and never shows up nor buys anything ever again. But doesn't he/she sound suspiciously like who you just described above.

I just got a PM from the other random person with 1 post no buys spouting how grea tthe wine is.. telling me to buy the wine.

clayfu

brianbensoncellars wrote:I'd have to double check my wine notes on the release dates... But lets just say roughly 4 months after bottling...

The 04 spent 18 months in 2nd fill ( 2 year old) french barrels( 59 gal)

The 05 spent 16 months in 85% new Francois Ferrer barrels( 59 gal)

I'm toying with the thought of doing some extended barrel aging on the 06. Maybe 36 months. The thought is that over time the wine will gain in complexity and devlope more subtle nuances. From what I hear though the wines kind of go through stages where they get worse... then get better... maybe I'll just hold back a few barrels

I've been rather excited about the 06 Syrah's i've had from Paso/SB. All really great stuff.

Also what persuaded you to change the aging time and oak usage?

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
clayfu wrote:Blah blah blah

Normally I don't see eye to eye with you Clay, but today I do. I just wish people could admit that they were just trying to sell a wine and move on. It's just too suspicious to not be the reality when someone claims to love wine so much that they've been dying to check out deals from NoCA, but that they happen to only show up the week something they can get cheap is on. If someone knew about wine.woot previously and truly loved wine they would've already taken advantage of the great deals one can find here.

However, I feel badly for Brian as he has a delicious looking wine that is getting overshadowed because of a few bad apples and the good apples' responses. I think enough is here about this now for those less into the w.w thing to know what's going on and that we should stop the finger pointing in this location... after all, there's always the pub. Let's please let the focus return to where it should: the wine.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2
Hurricane4911 wrote:First Wine Woot for Me...

Add one more member from the great state of Florida. They have recently seen the light and now the grapes of the gods flows freely across the internet and into my humble gulf coast home. Now if we can keep those offshore oil platforms off our coat, toasting the sunset with woot-wine will indeed be a treat.

ksreynolds74 wrote:I'm in for one....another Florida wooter here. Wife's pregnant, so I'm gonna have a nice collection going by the time the little boy is born in October!

yea! more Florida wooters. Welcome! There may be hope for a gathering yet. Now if we could convince Mill :P

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
barrymccochener wrote:Let's please let the focus return to where it should: the wine.

Well said. Let's move on people.

brianbensoncellars

I'm more than happy to talk about wines all night long.

I really appreciate the people who have written postive comments about me and my wines.

For the few who question the people making these comments...

I sort of did too. I'm sitting here in my little house in the country, and not to diss myself, but who the hell knows who I am??? and people are saying all these cool things about my wines on the internet!!! Unfortunately I don't know recognize these people.... at least from their woot names. I'm sure if we met again I would remember... (bad with names). But they're not my buddies. And not to offend the people who question their intentions... but relax. I'm not trying to pull some big scheme here. They dig my wines. And I think you'll like my wines too

tarheel17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tarheel17

Brian,
I appreciate your willingness to participate and enthusiasm for woot - it's an odd crowd here, but if you can roll with the punches, you'll have some fun.

Your wines sound delicious, but it takes a lot to sway me to buy these days...
I have a question for you that isn't necessarily related to this week's offer: why do you love to make wine? What drives you? What made you choose a profession that is so often thankless, money-sinking, and challenging?

Just curious. You seem open and willing to talk about the whole process, so I thought I'd ask.

Twisted Oak Tempranillo, Roessler Blue Jay, K Vintners, Corison Kronos (x3), Twisted Oak (x2), Substance, Corison, PoiZin, Lange (x2), Three Rivers

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON

The RPM Wine Tour labrattery reporting:

The current tasting conditions are: we’ve all tasted 30+ wines today. The current air temperature is chilly perhaps in the fifties, as is the wine (we stashed it in the ice chest to avoid overheating it). Not decanted. Sampled in the finest plastic glasses at the Best Western Garden Inn.

The Group Notes

Aces219 says black fruits with a bit of earth – very fruity and hot on the finish – generally enjoying it (she admits she likes fruit bombs). Mr Aces says it is red and cold.

Nematic says got a slight herbaceous and green taste.

DonaldWilliams – lot of stewed plums on the nose – lot of nice black fruit – thought it would be hot once it warmed up, but surprised its was not.

Cesare says Welch’s grape juice dark color – long legs. Meaty.

Joatmon says chalk on the mouth. Can't think of a food I could pair it with. Slight herbaciousness on the nose?

Bahwm – says plums – maybe peppery/spicy. Bold.

RPM – Overripe. Not my style. Well made. High alcohol is not offensive. If you like full bodied, forward fruit wines – you will not be disappointed.

Javadrinker – Doesn’t get much from the nose.

TMR – Overripe, stewed prunes in the nose. Not cooked. Very large fruit-bomb type of wine. Not my type.

Polarbear22 – strong fruit. Decent finish. I’d drink it after dinner.

Jwhite6114 – Thinks he kind of likes this one. Would probably let it breathe a while longer. Drink by itself. Concur with others’ comments.

MarkDaSpark – Liked it very much – very fruity. Doesn’t need food. Not sure it would pair with food.

Woopdedoo – once it warms up, it has an astringent finish.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Cesare

quality posts: 1696 Private Messages Cesare

And just to clarify: we had the 2005 Syrah. No 2004 was supplied.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

clayfu

JOATMON wrote:

MarkDaSpark – Liked it very much – very fruity. Doesn’t need food. Not sure it would pair with food.

of course you liked the fruity wine =P You drank the MollyDooker! hehe

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

brianbensoncellars wrote:I'm more than happy to talk about wines all night long.

I really appreciate the people who have written postive comments about me and my wines.

For the few who question the people making these comments...

I sort of did too. I'm sitting here in my little house in the country, and not to diss myself, but who the hell knows who I am??? and people are saying all these cool things about my wines on the internet!!! Unfortunately I don't know recognize these people.... at least from their woot names. I'm sure if we met again I would remember... (bad with names). But they're not my buddies. And not to offend the people who question their intentions... but relax. I'm not trying to pull some big scheme here. They dig my wines. And I think you'll like my wines too

Great post. Thanks for the perspective. you seem beyond your years in not just wine making.

Clayfu- Good job smoking the n00b's out, but hey lighten up Francis.

You are probably right, maybe some buddies of BB not knowing the rules of engagement. But what does it tell you? they want BB to do well and they believe in his wines. Not something we want with regularity to be sure, but not the end of the world.

I thinkthe community (Clayfu in this case) played it's roll effectively in not letting such behavior propogate, but let's not get out of hand- IMHO.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
clayfu wrote:of course you liked the fruity wine =P You drank the MollyDooker! hehe

As if I didn't buy enough wine today ....

Brian Benson Cellars Syrah - Two Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 1m 23.157s

Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

I've always thought that Clayfu was a bit of a snob on stuff... but I value his posts when he's tasted a wine, because he'll tell you exactly what he doesn't like about it.

I'm totally into this Brian fella though, I've made wine with my friend before, and if he ever hocks his stuff on woot I'm going to be shilling his Manos, the Hands of Fate like a bacon salesman outside a fat camp.

looking forward to the labrats on this guy.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
paryb wrote:looking forward to the labrats on this guy.

here you go. best labrats ever: we have no vested interest in the wine, since we didn't have to purchase it to become labrats, so no risk of us engaging in subconscious dissonance reduction! enjoy.

[frak-frak-frakkin' insomnia.]

do you know... what biodynamics is?

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

Hijack!

For those of you who don't know, the RPM Magical Wine Tour is happening now...
Reading the UPDATES will make you jealous.
Really awesome stuff....

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder

Shut out in NH (frakkin' buzzkills...)
BUT -- my daughter is moving to CA next month. I'll have her do some shopping and ship me some ... "preserves". Yeah, that's the ticket!

Dude... wait, what?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
brianbensoncellars wrote:Funny you should say that

Oh please do! Please oh please!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
JOATMON wrote:The RPM Wine Tour labrattery reporting:

The current tasting conditions are: we’ve all tasted 30+ wines today. The current air temperature is chilly perhaps in the fifties, as is the wine (we stashed it in the ice chest to avoid overheating it). Not decanted. Sampled in the finest plastic glasses at the Best Western Garden Inn.

The Group Notes

Any notes from kttest? I believe we have similar tastes and I'm on the fence with this one.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
JOATMON wrote:The RPM Wine Tour labrattery reporting:

The Group Notes

Aces219 says black fruits with a bit of earth – very fruity and hot on the finish – generally enjoying it (she admits she likes fruit bombs). Mr Aces says it is red and cold.

Nematic says got a slight herbaceous and green taste.

DonaldWilliams – lot of stewed plums on the nose – lot of nice black fruit – thought it would be hot once it warmed up, but surprised its was not.

Cesare says Welch’s grape juice dark color – long legs. Meaty.

Joatmon says chalk on the mouth. Can't think of a food I could pair it with. Slight herbaciousness on the nose?

Bahwm – says plums – maybe peppery/spicy. Bold.

RPM – Overripe. Not my style. Well made. High alcohol is not offensive. If you like full bodied, forward fruit wines – you will not be disappointed.

Javadrinker – Doesn’t get much from the nose.

TMR – Overripe, stewed prunes in the nose. Not cooked. Very large fruit-bomb type of wine. Not my type.

Polarbear22 – strong fruit. Decent finish. I’d drink it after dinner.

Jwhite6114 – Thinks he kind of likes this one. Would probably let it breathe a while longer. Drink by itself. Concur with others’ comments.

Woopdedoo – once it warms up, it has an astringent finish.

Packed!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
jwhite6114 wrote:Hmmm ... so how good is this deal? Check out the spreadsheet for deal calculations compared to the price direct from the winery (with and without shipping). Also useful for calculating Cellar Tracker prices.

This makes the offer compelling! Looking forward to reading the first of the labrat reports tomorrow (?)

@Nathalie re: Blacksaks. You probably already saw this thread by now. I added one suggestion about trying Mayorga if Blacksaks is no longer available.

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
brianbensoncellars wrote:I'm not promising futures but if you sign-up for my mailing list you'll get offered all future releases first. www.brianbensoncellars.com

oh Manos, the Hands of Fate done and DONE. I only wish I could afford to buy this week, but I'll just hold out for PS. Lots of syrah already percolating in the cellar. :/

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Loweeel wrote:Brian, any plans to try making a Petite Sirah? Clearly, someone of your talents and creativity could handle the challenge posed by its face-smashing tannins.

Was there anything more predictable than this post? Do you have withdrawal symptoms if you go 24 hours without a hit?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Loweeel

bhodilee wrote:Was there anything more predictable than this post? Do you have withdrawal symptoms if you go 24 hours without a hit?

MarkDaSpark making smilies and JWhiteDaSnark living up to his name are both more predictable.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

bhodilee

Loweeel wrote:MarkDaSpark making smilies and JWhiteDaSnark living up to his name are both more predictable.

Point

have you had these wines? You were quite complimentary to the winemaker, or were you just trying to convince him to make some PS?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

javadrinker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages javadrinker

Just to expand a bit on the limited rattery notes that were transcribed on my behalf (Woop you make a lousy secretary ), I actually said more than "I didn't get much on the nose". For me that was to be expected drinking cold wine from plastic cups. Oh well. As for the taste, this Syrah had a lot of dark fruits on the front end but it was the plums that lost me on the back end. It just didn't do much for me. As TMR mentioned, these were stewed plums but the wine was most definitely not cooked. It was just part of the wine making style. There were also some other hints in the flavor profile that I couldn't find the right words for. I tasted Armida's '05 Flora Ranch Chalk Hill Syrah earlier in the day and I got a lot of the same flavor hints. The pourer described the syrah to someone else as "meaty, leathery". I don't think I agree with that descriptor but if this is what "meaty, leathery" is supposed to taste like then it's in the Brian Benson Syrah too. And someone asked if any of the RPM tour peoples were going to buy. Several said they were going to and some already had and were glad they did after tasting the wine with us. It's just not my style of Syrah.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

bhodilee

javadrinker wrote:Just to expand a bit on the limited rattery notes that were transcribed on my behalf (Woop you make a lousy secretary ), I actually said more than "I didn't get much on the nose". For me that was to be expected drinking cold wine from plastic cups. Oh well. As for the taste, this Syrah had a lot of dark fruits on the front end but it was the plums that lost me on the back end. It just didn't do much for me. As TMR mentioned, these were stewed plums but the wine was most definitely not cooked. It was just part of the wine making style. There were also some other hints in the flavor profile that I couldn't find the right words for. I tasted Armida's '05 Flora Ranch Chalk Hill Syrah earlier in the day and I got a lot of the same flavor hints. The pourer described the syrah to someone else as "meaty, leathery". I don't think I agree with that descriptor but if this is what "meaty, leathery" is supposed to taste like then it's in the Brian Benson Syrah too. And someone asked if any of the RPM tour peoples were going to buy. Several said they were going to and some already had and were glad they did after tasting the wine with us. It's just not my style of Syrah.

Did you get in on the Madison woot? That's a Paso Syrah and my favorite Syrah. Can you compare the two if you did? Can anyone on the tour make that comparison for me?