+ Add a Comment

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
paryb wrote:Let me explain finding the nutmeg. LadyParyb and I were talking about our first sip, and I said it's something...some spice...what the heck is that...it's not clove, is it cinnamon?? Nooo no, not cinnamon, ooh I got it, it's NUTMEG I went and grabbed the nutmeg, and smelled it, and smelled the wine again, and could really see it. But Ladyparyb really nailed it, when she said, it's not bitter though, and not strong, it's got a sweet component to the smell, it's more like eggnog. That's where I was in the flavor profile, as I stated before, that particular smell goes away for a bit. really softens up. After a couple hours of decanting a bitter bite developed in the back end. Nothing overwhelming, but really different than the initial taste.

So to answer your question, it's there, but you have to be looking.

Oh good! nutmeg has ruined many a thing for me - pumpkin pie, eggnog... don't want it ruining my wine when I'm already committed for 3!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
borisgoodenough wrote:The man with the little machine in his hand showed up on the doorstep mid-morning. As things would have it, I was so enthralled listening to W cold-bloodedly eviscerate the English language that I missed it until he nearly bashed the door down.

Good thing the FedEx man always knocks twice; Michigan is one of those states where he takes it home to drink if you're not around to sign for it. And there's a 2004 Chase inside.

So I pulled a 2004 Rafanelli Zin from the cellar to provide some worthy competition, corralled a couple other derelicts from the MoCool gang, and staked a claim on a whole mess of BBQ from the pit down the road. Depending on how many Zins the other folks insist on bringing, notes go up late tonight or early tomorrow.

Cheers!
Joel

you're in detroit?

cheron98

oppsie wrote:you're in detroit?

how did i miss that? Dude, go check out the community and look up the DTW tastings/trainings... or click the links in my signature! Go! Now!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
kylemittskus wrote:Sorry anxious wooters. UPS did not deliver the package today. I will get it tomorrow (hopefully) and my report will be posted tomorrow night. If there is a new offering, I will have my report posted at least two hours prior to the end of the offer. I promise. (That is of course, if UPS doesn't screw up again.)
My green eyes now focus upon the other three labrats.

Congratulations on being a labrat Kyle!

Happy to see Ohio is included in this duo. Another poster mentioned the bottle art. Very beautiful. Use them as a bud vase or to display peacock feathers after the wine has been enjoyed. Bet that would look nice!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
hld1970 wrote:What in God's name do /i have to do to be a Labrat? I must say, this is very disappointing. Look at my purchase history, etc. WD- I think I am entitled to an explanation.

Methinks though doth protest too much

Or whatever the hell the saying is

Oh, how bout this one

All good things come to those who wait

Or

Give me my free wine damnit!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

borisgoodenough wrote:LABRAT REPORT: 2004 Chase Zinfandel, Hayne Vineyard

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: A very pretty wine that's not what we expected. Surprisingly elegant, well-rounded and food-friendly, with white chocolate, raspberry and exotic spices. Good value at the going price. All four of us who tasted scored it between 90 and 92.

Full notes, with digressions, to follow.

Joel

Ugh, I do not need to be buying this, especially if Thursday holds something from the same winery in a grape I find more appealing, but it's getting hard not to buy at least one.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

Claymore

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Claymore

As a thrilled-to-be-deputized labrat last night, I have to say: If you're trying hard to find an excuse to buy this because it rhymes with "squirrelly", you'll be disappointed. This is not a club-you-over-the-head monster.

It is, however, a very nice food-friendly Zin, elegant as Zin goes, and well worth the price. Think: Good stuff to bring out for special guests at a nice dinner. Un-freaking-believable with a big mouthful of dirty rice with smoked sausage. Far better than a quaffer.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

um, i was mistaken....

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
Winedavid39 wrote:um, i was mistaken....

recorded the show early right?

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

cheron98

Winedavid39 wrote:um, i was mistaken....

Oh so no new offering tomorrow? Aww...

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
bhodilee wrote:Give me my free wine damnit!

Corrado - perhaps this would be regarded as anti-begging?

cheron98

cheron98 wrote:Oh so no new offering tomorrow? Aww...

Or was it a cleverly disguised clue...?

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
fairnymph wrote:HitsAnyKey - let's do it! Do you like game? I LOVE game (anything wild, the wilder the better, and the winery folks were suggesting such pairings) - I say we do a vertical tasting/drinkathon with some tasty wild meat. And veggies. And ummmm...some pie. Because summer is for pie and I live 3 blocks from Union Sq. farmer's market and buy WAY too much fruit.

I'll PM ya later when I actually officially have more time when I'm officially allowed to be playing on the internet, but sounds great. As for liking game...well, I doubt I've had much experience with "game", but I also don't exactly know what all that term includes. In any case I like lots (and nearly all) types of food, and I'm ALWAYS willing to try something I've never had before. I'm rather adventerous and enjoy trying new things.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
cheron98 wrote:Or was it a cleverly disguised clue...?

I think you're right!

My guess is, Chase Family Cellars Hayne Vineyards Zinfandel two-pack. Maybe a 2004 and a 2005.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

borisgoodenough

quality posts: 4 Private Messages borisgoodenough

At the request of the old coot, the remaining members of Hamburg Township Emergency Labratting Response Team convened promptly at 7 PM. (Claymore, who posted just above, is the follicle-challenged guy!)

Prodigious quantities of pulled pork and barbecue brisket from Chef Chris over at the Boogie Woogie rested in the oven for the post-tasting gluttony. Lots of Spiegelau waited to be broken at each place setting. And up for tasting: the golden ticket 2004 Chase Hayne Vineyard and its three zinous challengers: 2006 XYZin 10, 2003 JC Cellars, and 2004 Rafanelli.

Tasted unblind. After the first round of tasting, we proceeded to the barbecue, with lots of Zin still in the glass to test their foodworthiness and how they were opening.

2006 XYZin, 10 Year, California
Mid-ruby color that's significantly lighter than the others in the group. An odd mixture of herbs and jam on the nose, reasonable fruit on the attack but quickly runs into trouble due to a weak body, sucked-out mid-palate and a hot, alcoholic finish. One of the other tasters described it as having Gamay character. Definitely the skunk at this garden party; no one volunteered to return to see how it worked with the food. Score: 79

2003 JC Cellars Zinfandel, Iron Hill Vineyard, Sonoma Valley
Now that's more like it! Ultra ripe jammy nose, bright red fruits, hints of white pepper, plump mid-body, good depth but slightly lacking in the acid department, fairly short finish. To some of us, the fruit tastes more like Paso Robles than Sonoma. Nice food match, but could use a bit more acid. Score: 88

2004 Rafanelli Zinfandel, Dry Creek Valley
A long-time benchmark to judge other Zins by. Quickly Indicates the vintage issues of 2004: lighter-bodied and less gnarly and concentrated fruit than typical Rafanelli. But what great fruit it is: pure, sweet black cherry flavors, dark tones almost reminiscent of a Mendoza Malbec. Silken palate, beautifully balanced acidity. Great with food. Score: 92 (unanimous among the group)

2004 Chase Zinfandel, Hayne Vineyard, Napa Valley
OK, I confess: I saw "Hayne Vineyard" and expected Turley. The Woot writeup doesn't exactly discourage that train of thought. The wine with the monster fruit and even bigger alcohol, designed to clash with and ultimately crush all attempts at food pairing. Custom-engineered to garner 98 points from Parker's palate.

That's why the Chase was a surprise. Whether a result of the vintage or the winemaking, this is a Pretty Wine -- a description never applied to Turley. Slightly lighter color than the Rafanelli, a white-choclatey nose with lots of raspberry. Exotic Asian spices. Elegant palate, silky, slightly plump, well-balanced and very round. Became even "prettier" as it opened in the glass.

The best food wine in the bunch -- one of our tasters rated it "Number One with a mouthful of the greens and pulled pork." It begs for spiced dishes. Score: 91 (group range 90-92).

Just the (golden) ticket for a Tuesday night...

Joel

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

nope, next launch Monday. (for real, this is not a clue (nor was this a clue))

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
borisgoodenough wrote:At the request of the old coot, the remaining members of Hamburg Township Emergency Labratting Response Team convened promptly at 7 PM. (Claymore, who posted just above, is the follicle-challenged guy!)

-----

2004 Chase Zinfandel, Hayne Vineyard, Napa Valley
OK, I confess: I saw "Hayne Vineyard" and expected Turley. The Woot writeup doesn't exactly discourage that train of thought. The wine with the monster fruit and even bigger alcohol, designed to clash with and ultimately crush all attempts at food pairing. Custom-engineered to garner 98 points from Parker's palate.

That's why the Chase was a surprise. Whether a result of the vintage or the winemaking, this is a Pretty Wine -- a description never applied to Turley. Slightly lighter color than the Rafanelli, a white-choclatey nose with lots of raspberry. Exotic Asian spices. Elegant palate, silky, slightly plump, well-balanced and very round. Became even "prettier" as it opened in the glass.

The best food wine in the bunch -- one of our tasters rated it "Number One with a mouthful of the greens and pulled pork." It begs for spiced dishes. Score: 91 (group range 90-92).

Joel

Joel, superb labrat work. Informative and entertaining.

Thanks!

HitAnyKey42

speedoo wrote:Joel, superb labrat work. Informative and entertaining.

Thanks!

I wholeheartedly agree. Awesome job, especially with the parallel comparisons. I'm still gawking at the number of wineglasses you guys had lined up at the table for the tasting.

Just curious. What were the price-points of the other three wines?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
Winedavid39 wrote:nope, next launch Monday. (for real, this is not a clue (nor was this a clue))

or was it?

Joel, great impressions.

signed.

HitAnyKey42

Winedavid39 wrote:nope, next launch Monday. (for real, this is not a clue (nor was this a clue))

Oh, btw. Shame on you for not being able to tell Gary that the wine had no Syrah in it and that it was 100% Zin!

Other than that, awesome show and it was very entertaining. And thanks for the "indirect" shoutout. (yes, we all got a shoutout...even though L & Cor got singled out)

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

borisgoodenough

oppsie wrote:you're in detroit?

Just north of Ann Arbor...

cheron98

borisgoodenough wrote:2004 Chase Zinfandel, Hayne Vineyard, Napa Valley

You've been packed! And your emergency labrat response team should all join us for the DTW palate training next Saturday! Click on "Get your palate trained" in my sig for details

borisgoodenough

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I wholeheartedly agree. Awesome job, especially with the parallel comparisons. I'm still gawking at the number of wineglasses you guys had lined up at the table for the tasting.

You should see what we do on a Saturday night with some time to prepare.

Just curious. What were the price-points of the other three wines?

The XYZin is under-$10. Not sure about the JC Cellars -- Claymore brought that, maybe he'll jump in and let us know. Rafanelli about $40 from the winery -- a pretty good price match for the Chase's standard retail.

bhodilee

Well, as long as it's not the Oops! wine I keep seeing at Target we'll be good. I just realized I'm listening to Avril Lavigne, I must now rip off my ears.

bhodilee

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'll PM ya later when I actually officially have more time when I'm officially allowed to be playing on the internet, but sounds great. As for liking game...well, I doubt I've had much experience with "game", but I also don't exactly know what all that term includes. In any case I like lots (and nearly all) types of food, and I'm ALWAYS willing to try something I've never had before. I'm rather adventerous and enjoy trying new things.

game = not farm raised, probably shot with an arrow or a bullet. If it's farm raised Deer or something like that, it's not game and is therefore Manos, the Hands of Fate

bhodilee

I feel I can trust you on this

jeffatchase

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffatchase

Joel

Hey Joel,

Thanks for the time and effort put into your labrat review. I am glad you enjoyed the wine.

Jeff @ Chase

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'll PM ya later when I actually officially have more time when I'm officially allowed to be playing on the internet, but sounds great. As for liking game...well, I doubt I've had much experience with "game", but I also don't exactly know what all that term includes. In any case I like lots (and nearly all) types of food, and I'm ALWAYS willing to try something I've never had before. I'm rather adventerous and enjoy trying new things.

You sound like a corny blind date profile... and fun to be around

HitAnyKey42

barrymccochener wrote:You sound like a corny blind date profile... and fun to be around

1. I am fun to be around.
2. I have a corny eHarmony profile.
3. I hope it works for me one of these days.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
HitAnyKey42 wrote:1. I am fun to be around.
2. I have a corny eHarmony profile.
3. I hope it works for me one of these days.

Hey baby, have you seen my wine cellar in my condo?

It'll work every time...trust me.

signed.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
Heelacious wrote:Hey folks:

http://tv.winelibrary.com/

Incredible amount of patience you have, WD
Turned out to be a fantastic show, but I never would have made it through 24 minutes without YOU being there.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
canonizer wrote:Hey baby, have you seen my wine cellar in my condo?

It'll work every time...trust me.

"I've got this great cask of Amontillado..."

Hey, why'd she run away screaming?

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

http://tv.winelibrary.com/
^
Maybe it's just me but is that guy annoying or what. I wish he would let WD talk w/ out interrupting him every other word.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
eric9tx wrote:Incredible amount of patience you have, WD
Turned out to be a fantastic show, but I never would have made it through 24 minutes without YOU being there.

No joke, Hell of a show... thanks to WD, otherwise I would need to mute it.

CT

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Daystar wrote:http://tv.winelibrary.com/
^
Maybe it's just me but is that guy annoying or what. I wish he would let WD talk w/ out interrupting him every other word.

I think "exuberant" is the word you're looking for. I'm about 80% on-board with Gary and even I was thinking, "Stop interrupting your guest and let WD talk!"

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

cheron98

Ahem. For those of you who DON'T read the pub, I would like to publicly denounce and decry kylemittskus for now and all eternity. He should be shunned. For all time.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Hey everyone,

2005 labrat checking in. I finally have the bottle in my possession. Report to come later. I will not rush it like I was going to since there is no new offering this week.

Chase Winery, Jeff, and especially Pam. I was hoping for a cork screw. Your addition is much much better, although I fear that Loweeel is going to come to my house and kill me. Again, a million thanks!

Report will come in a few hours.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:Ahem. For those of you who DON'T read the pub, I would like to publicly denounce and decry kylemittskus for now and all eternity. He should be shunned. For all time.

I second the motion. On Cruel & Inhumane grounds. Shun him .....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98

kylemittskus wrote:Hey everyone,

2005 labrat checking in. I finally have the bottle in my possession. Report to come later. I will not rush it like I was going to since there is no new offering this week.

Chase Winery, Jeff, and especially Pam. I was hoping for a cork screw. Your addition is much much better, although I fear that Loweeel is going to come to my house and kill me. Again, a million thanks!

Report will come in a few hours.

You are dead to us.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cheron98 wrote:You are dead to us.

PAM:

Seriously, totally worth it 1000%. You're my favorite.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen