DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 29 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
fairnymph wrote:I'll receive for you, and I freelance so I'm usually always home. The UPS man knows me and we can save on shipping!

Hey fairnymph, have you found a way to join the rpm tour? We'd love to have you.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

spdrcr05 wrote: Based on Corrado's report, other than a quick taste, my first 05 will spend 4 or more hours in the decanter before I touch it.

If I know a wine will need air time (and ESPECIALLY if I have multiple bottles) I'll taste it over the course of an evening just to see how it evolves just in case it surprises me and peaks after 2h; I'd hate to wait 4h, have it be going flat and think it's either no good or needs MORE time to open.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

duck833

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duck833
fairnymph wrote:Oooh! I adore rosés, what winery is that from? And how would you characterize the 2006 PN?

I adore rosés but the new ones I've tried lately have been nearly all quite mediocre - really disappointing! I don't think I've had a PN rosé, or not more than one for sure, either.

I opened a 2007 Archery Summit Pinot Noir Rose', about 300 cases made. Nice warm weather wine.

The 2006 Shea Estate Pinot Noir is a great drink it now wine. I would give it 92 points right now. I have tried it after a couple of hours in the decanter and it is fruity, balanced and soft. I had two cases but have been working on them. Need to get another.

good food, good wine, bad girl = great evening

duck833

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duck833
JOATMON wrote:Which Rogue Blue?

http://www.roguecreamery.com/product.asp?specific=95

Crater Lake Rogue Blue

Good stuff!!!

good food, good wine, bad girl = great evening

cooneym11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cooneym11

Mmmm...Crater Lake Blue. That is my favorite of the Rogue Creamery I have tried. May have to pick some up this weekend.

christmaspie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christmaspie

First sucker: nallie
Speed to first woot: 0m 47.297s

Last wooter to woot: christmaspie

My first wine.woot! Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts on this offering.

I hope to pick up a few more along the way...

Oh, hey. All I ever wanted was marshmallows on my sweet potatoes...

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Well done, labrats.

I'm in.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

Donald - I am SO tempted (especially since i want to represent my severely unrepresented sex) but I'm trying to work out the dates and $, since I'm planning a 6-8 week trip in the fall. Also, I'm worried that I'll end up buying a lot of wine that I don't have room to store (my wine cellar is full) while my stuff is in storage.

duck - Thank you so much for the info! That PN sounds stunning, what a QPR. Sadly it's probably pretty hard to find with so few cases produced. I'll see if I can find either though when I hit the major wine stores this weekend to stock up on rosés.

Speaking of varietals we're overdue for, I'd vote for ROSE! And how awesome would a PS rosé be? *swoons* Especially since the Saxon Brown Rosé really didn't impress me - in fact, I was sorely disappointed with it. However, the Sémillon was quite stunning so that made up for it. I have yet to dip into my non-corked SB reds...

I'd also love some cheese, or some fancy pork-free paté, or fine chocolates (you'd think I'd be happy with my 14 or so varieties on hand, but one can never have too much chocolate)... I wouldn't say no to some sake or other interesting nonwine alcoholic beverages (flavoured vodka? mmm), either.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
fairnymph wrote:Donald - I am SO tempted (especially since i want to represent my severely unrepresented sex) but I'm trying to work out the dates and $, since I'm planning a 6-8 week trip in the fall. Also, I'm worried that I'll end up buying a lot of wine that I don't have room to store (my wine cellar is full) while my stuff is in storage.

duck - Thank you so much for the info! That PN sounds stunning, what a QPR. Sadly it's probably pretty hard to find with so few cases produced. I'll see if I can find either though when I hit the major wine stores this weekend to stock up on rosés.

Speaking of varietals we're overdue for, I'd vote for ROSE! And how awesome would a PS rosé be? *swoons* Especially since the Saxon Brown Rosé really didn't impress me - in fact, I was sorely disappointed with it. However, the Sémillon was quite stunning so that made up for it. I have yet to dip into my non-corked SB reds...

I'd also love some cheese, or some fancy pork-free paté, or fine chocolates (you'd think I'd be happy with my 14 or so varieties on hand, but one can never have too much chocolate)... I wouldn't say no to some sake or other interesting nonwine alcoholic beverages (flavoured vodka? mmm), either.

You're not asking for much are you my dear?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tcklord

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tcklord

Ok I'm finally in after reading some of the labrat reports. Shouldn't have been just spent about a grand going to a wedding. But need some more pinot in the cooler. I can't wait to try it!

334 bottles from Wine.woot
17 Normal Woot
4 Sellout Woot

favrerocks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages favrerocks

Well, one of my three guesses were right - the balsamic vinegar.

Random Crap x3
Norman, Monticello (rat), Cavedoni (bv), Chase (x3), Benson (x3) and much more to come

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

is the pinot coming back?

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

joegopher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joegopher

Well I feel really bad at this point.

I get selected for Labrat after ordering Monday morning. Had to leave town late Monday returning Wednesday night and see the bottle on my desk when I get in this morning!

I will do my best to try it tonight and post some tasting notes.

Thanks for the opportunity!

56 wine.woots and counting...

joegopher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joegopher

This looks like it might be "too little too late," but I thought I would add my impressions to the board anyway.

Upon opening, the wine has a very fuity smell that is really pleasant and mild. It is medium bodied in color and smells wonderful as it opens in the glass.

The first taste was really heavy on cherry and a hint of strawberry and had a very smooth finish. The wine didn't open much more as it stayed in the glass, which to me is OK for a Pinot, and stayed consistant to the end. I actually tried some white chocolate with the end of the glass and the wine tasted like homemade Strawberry jam afterwards. Really pleasant.

I would look to pair this with a pack of Marlboro's and a bag of potato chips. OK, just kidding there. I really think this would go well with grilled chicken or a good pork chop.

I am not one for putting numbered ratings on a wine, so I won't. On my scale of:
Plonk
Good Daily Drinker
Very Good Daily drinker
Cellar Worthy
Oh My God, I am keeping this for 10 years

I would call this a very good daily drinker and I can't wait for the rest of the shipment.

56 wine.woots and counting...

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Looks like corrado may have to modify his "my guesses are always wrong" stance...

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

mscalisi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mscalisi

You're not too late! It's back up, and I'm still on the fence.
Did you have the 04 or the 05
How would you rate the wine in terms of value?

FYI Hi everyone, My name is Mike. I've been a wine wooter for about 8 months and a lurker on this board for just as long. I learn lots by reading all your posts!

joegopher wrote:This looks like it might be "too little too late," but I thought I would add my impressions to the board anyway.

Upon opening, the wine has a very fuity smell that is really pleasant and mild. It is medium bodied in color and smells wonderful as it opens in the glass.

The first taste was really heavy on cherry and a hint of strawberry and had a very smooth finish. The wine didn't open much more as it stayed in the glass, which to me is OK for a Pinot, and stayed consistant to the end. I actually tried some white chocolate with the end of the glass and the wine tasted like homemade Strawberry jam afterwards. Really pleasant.

I would look to pair this with a pack of Marlboro's and a bag of potato chips. OK, just kidding there. I really think this would go well with grilled chicken or a good pork chop.

I am not one for putting numbered ratings on a wine, so I won't. On my scale of:
Plonk
Good Daily Drinker
Very Good Daily drinker
Cellar Worthy
Oh My God, I am keeping this for 10 years

I would call this a very good daily drinker and I can't wait for the rest of the shipment.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mscalisi wrote:You're not too late! It's back up, and I'm still on the fence.
Did you have the 04 or the 05
How would you rate the wine in terms of value?

FYI Hi everyone, My name is Mike. I've been a wine wooter for about 8 months and a lurker on this board for just as long. I learn lots by reading all your posts!

I believe he had the '04 PN.

Cheron98 has been kind enough to create and maintain the Labrat thread:

Week of 7/7 -- Souverain Pinot Noir - Three Pack

2004 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (x2)
2005 Sonoma County Pinot Noir

This week's pack:
Corrado (2005 PN) and part 2 and Day 2
davidgrahammd (2005 PN)

spdrcr05 (2004 PN)
joegopher (2004 PN)
Volunteers:
INTLGerard (2004 PN)

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

dragonfli

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dragonfli

Georgia is now open to send alcoholic beverages to... might be good to update your listing

Georgia just began allowing wine to be shipped to private parties inside GA on July 1st 2008 ... so we are finally good to go!!!

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
dragonfli wrote:Georgia is now open to send alcoholic beverages to... might be good to update your listing

Georgia just began allowing wine to be shipped to private parties inside GA on July 1st 2008 ... so we are finally good to go!!!

Assuming the individual Winery has gotten permission then yes..... otherwise, no. Someone a little more knowledgeable may need to correct me here.

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:I believe he had the '04 PN.

Cheron98 has been kind enough to create and maintain the Labrat thread:

Week of 7/7 -- Souverain Pinot Noir - Three Pack

2004 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (x2)
2005 Sonoma County Pinot Noir

This week's pack:
Corrado (2005 PN) and part 2 and Day 2
davidgrahammd (2005 PN)

spdrcr05 (2004 PN)
joegopher (2004 PN)
Volunteers:
INTLGerard (2004 PN)

Yeah i was guessing about the 2004 PN, considering that's the one we were missing. Trend has been 2 rats for each type of wine in the offering

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

temartenson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages temartenson

I am very familiar with this winery, now known as Souverain. They dropped the Chateau when they sold it to Copolla. They are famous for Chards, Cabs and Zins. Never tries their Pinots. They are not located in Pinot country although they could be buying grapes elsewhere.

bkarney

temartenson wrote:I am very familiar with this winery, now known as Souverain. They dropped the Chateau when they sold it to Copolla. They are famous for Chards, Cabs and Zins. Never tries their Pinots. They are not located in Pinot country although they could be buying grapes elsewhere.

Please expand on this..... How are you connected to the winery? What was sold to Coppola? There were some pretty lengthy discussions regarding the origin of the grapes from earlier posts.....

CT

DonaldWilliams

bkarney wrote:Assuming the individual Winery has gotten permission then yes..... otherwise, no. Someone a little more knowledgeable may need to correct me here.

You are correct on that; actually, there is a permit needed, the cost of which likely varies from state to state. IIRC, when the law took effect, WD posted an opinion that wineries would probably be pretty quick to get on board, so as not to miss out on sales opportunities.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

speedoo

temartenson wrote:I am very familiar with this winery, now known as Souverain. They dropped the Chateau when they sold it to Copolla. They are famous for Chards, Cabs and Zins. Never tries their Pinots. They are not located in Pinot country although they could be buying grapes elsewhere.

Unless the winery is mis-stating a lot of facts on this history page from their website, your post is pretty far off the mark.

bkarney

speedoo wrote:Unless the winery is mis-staing a lot of facts on this history page from their website, your post is pretty far off the mark.

i'd have to agree with ya there!

CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

dragonfli wrote:Georgia is now open to send alcoholic beverages to... might be good to update your listing

Keep an eye out NEXT WEEK.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
speedoo wrote:Unless the winery is mis-staing a lot of facts on this history page from their website, your post is pretty far off the mark.

I just googled it, and Coppola bought the Souverain property in Alexander Valley in 2006. But they didn't buy the brand or the production, and I presume (though this wasn't explicitly stated in the article) that any other Souverain properties were not part of the deal.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

speedoo

coynedj wrote:I just googled it, and Coppola bought the Souverain property in Alexander Valley in 2006. But they didn't buy the brand or the production, and I presume (though this wasn't explicitly stated in the article) that any other Souverain properties were not part of the deal.

Yes, I read some googled articles on that as well, and came to the same conclusion you did.

darisgin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darisgin

Any posts re: Woot's b-day?

Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio; Woot Cellars Polyphemus Magnum; Woot Cellars Humbug; Wellington Vineyards Reserve Duo, three pack, three pack + mystery; Peltier Station Lodi Petite Sirah; Ty Caton Three-Pack Sampler; Dry Creek Two-Pack Reds

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Winedavid39 wrote:Keep an eye out NEXT WEEK.

Hmmmm, I better change my quote then

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

andyduncan

speedoo wrote:Yes, I read some googled articles on that as well, and came to the same conclusion you did.

When we had the FFC Reserve pinots Corey Beck the winemaker talked about the purchase a little bit here

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

Some points to consider for the fence riders.
- To reiterate, this region is very highly acclaimed for its PN quality and as stated by the winemaker, Souverain is sourcing from well known and sought after vineyards such as Benoist.
- Overall the vintage ratings were exceptional for a majority of producers. If numbers are your thing, 12 pages of listings in WS for these vintages scored 87 or above. Good vintage benchmark.
- Then there is the QPR. The majority of notable of producers retail their PN from the region above $30 per bottle. With comparable quality your getting this at roughly $16 per and that is not an easy find.
- Then after factoring in the labrats, and I tasted that silky smoooooth, cinnamon spicy, red cherry with a long lingering finish 2004. Which you get two of that you can enjoy now while you cellar the youthful 2005 as reported by our trusty rats!

Summarized IMO, if you like PN or want to get into PN and you are looking for a deal, this is hard to top. Wine is all about personal palates and opinions so I felt highlighting some points might be helpful. Just figured I’d pass my thoughts along. Hope this helps!

andyduncan

INTLGerard wrote:Some points to consider for the fence riders.
- To reiterate, this region is very highly acclaimed for its PN quality and as stated by the winemaker, Souverain is sourcing from well known and sought after vineyards such as Benoist.
- Overall the vintage ratings were exceptional for a majority of producers. If numbers are your thing, 12 pages of listings in WS for these vintages scored 87 or above. Good vintage benchmark.
- Then there is the QPR. The majority of notable of producers retail their PN from the region above $30 per bottle. With comparable quality your getting this at roughly $16 per and that is not an easy find.
- Then after factoring in the labrats, and I tasted that silky smoooooth, cinnamon spicy, red cherry with a long lingering finish 2004. Which you get two of that you can enjoy now while you cellar the youthful 2005 as reported by our trusty rats!

Summarized IMO, if you like PN or want to get into PN and you are looking for a deal, this is hard to top. Wine is all about personal palates and opinions so I felt highlighting some points might be helpful. Just figured I’d pass my thoughts along. Hope this helps!

So these are from Sonoma Coast right?

*ducks*

mscalisi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mscalisi

OK, fine. In for 3.

INTLGerard wrote:Some points to consider for the fence riders.

MarkDaSpark

Question for WD:

Any hints for the next week's offering will be in this thread? Or in the Balsamic Vinegar thread?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

bhodilee wrote:Hmmmm, I better change my quote then

no way, leave it. you might get a few Georgia loyalists who might chime in on it..

DonaldWilliams

MarkDaSpark wrote:Question for WD:

Any hints for the next week's offering will be in this thread? Or in the Balsamic Vinegar thread?

Would you say that WD's quote a bit earlier: "Keep an eye out NEXT WEEK. " could be interpreted as a hint? Is there a way to find out which wineries are set up with Georgia permits?

MarkDaSpark

DonaldWilliams wrote:Would you say that WD's quote a bit earlier: "Keep an eye out NEXT WEEK. " could be interpreted as a hint? Is there a way to find out which wineries are set up with Georgia permits?

Could be. I was thinking that.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

So I am having a banner week!

1) I got Labratted for the 04 of this week's offering .. believe it or not getting Ratted actually help make my Mom's week long visit tolerable!
2) My Corison AND my Greg Norman showed up yesterday
3) My replacement shipment for my DCV Cab & PS (original shipment was TRASHED by the heat) showed up on the same truck as 2

I'd like to take this brief diversion and thank Wine.Woot's customer service staff for how they handled my issues with heat damaged wine! I won't bore you with the details, but suffice to say they went out of their way to make things right and even included a Monkey Prize.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

andyduncan wrote:Looks like corrado may have to modify his "my guesses are always wrong" stance...

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."