paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
kylemittskus wrote:
Was anyone else almost in but now not?

Yeah...me. I really like CS Cab...but Corrado, and others described the kind of PN that doesn't do it for me. ho hum.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
kylemittskus wrote:Good point. You're thinking food?

Or another wine.

"Come back Thursday for a nice bottle of...wait, what the heck is that?"

Whoever wrote that sounds scared... Maybe scared by a big one-eyed monster? (For Corrado's sake, go ahead and post any inappropriate interpretations of that to the Pub)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
andyduncan wrote:Or another wine.

"Come back Thursday for a nice bottle of...wait, what the heck is that?"

Whoever wrote that sounds scared... Maybe scared by a big one-eyed monster? (For Corrado's sake, go ahead and post any inappropriate interpretations of that to the Pub)

Polyphemous???

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
kylemittskus wrote:Polyphemous???

My Fiance is very upset that I missed the Poly T-shirt offering.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

davidgrahammd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidgrahammd
kylemittskus wrote:Polyphemous???

Please more of the Poly!!!

I'm on my last bottle of the previous 3 and my SO is very bummed about that notion

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
andyduncan wrote:Given that this is a Wines 360 deal and not one directly from the winery, I wouldn't be so sure that tonight's offer is going to be another Chateau Souverain wine.

It's Cellar 360, and they distribute a lot of other wines:

http://www.cellar360.com/cellar360/catalog/index.jsp

andyduncan

speedoo wrote:It's Cellar 360, and they distribute a lot of other wines:

Oh yeah? And what do you put in your Cellar, huh Speedoo? Huh? You put wine in your cellar. That's right. Wine. Pwned.

andyduncan

Oooooh, they have Meridian's "Tasting Room/Wine Club Only" Petit Sirah

I hope it's that one, would be interested to hear Loweel's take on it. (It's my favorite of the under $30 Petit Sirah's I've had)

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

Ooh!
Souverain Sauv Blanc. Looks interesting.

Or perhaps a Souverain Reserve Chard?

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

andyduncan wrote:Given that this is a Wines 360 deal and not one directly from the winery, I wouldn't be so sure that tonight's offer is going to be another Chateau Souverain wine.

Track record so far has been for the front page to be pretty obvious when it's more wine and somewhat cryptic when it's going to be something else. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't expect another wine until Monday morning. However, I'm also notorious for being wrong with my guesses about what's up next.

Maybe we're getting surplus Vayniac wristbands.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Corrado wrote:Track record so far has been for the front page to be pretty obvious when it's more wine and somewhat cryptic when it's going to be something else. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't expect another wine until Monday morning. However, I'm also notorious for being wrong with my guesses about what's up next.

So when do we start getting the clues?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Corrado wrote:Track record so far has been for the front page to be pretty obvious when it's more wine and somewhat cryptic when it's going to be something else. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't expect another wine until Monday morning. However, I'm also notorious for being wrong with my guesses about what's up next.

Seems that we've had a couple of these late-announced surprise changes in the past few weeks. So far all have been wine. The last "non-wine" offer we've had was in April. And of the recent mid-week offers, only one has been from a different winery. Of course, the "new" wine in that case was the Greg Norman offer by: [queue drum roll] ... Cellar 360. So ... we could actually satisfy both cases this week: different winery, but second offer from the same ... umm ... retailer?

CT | | | | | |

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Corrado wrote:No, the wines were vastly improved at the 3h mark over the 30 minute mark. Pinots seem to be very fickle about temperature (or maybe it's the drinker). Too cold and the nose is closed. Too warm and the flavors get muddy and dull. The Morgan seems to have about a 5 degree drinking window where it ROCKS. I think the CS was similar and it seemed to hit its stride where the Morgan did (58-62F).

In a break from my usual tradition (decant to a half bottle & refrigerate), I corked both bottles (each half full) and put them in the cellar (which is around 62F these days) and will taste again tonight. I suspect the CS will show itself better this evening and Morgan may actually have lost some of it luster.

So, since I know this offering ends tonight, I'm also breaking from my 'night-cap' tasting tradition and pounding some vino after work.

Same wines, same glasses, 62.1F according to my Woot-purchased thermometer.

Chateau Souverian nose has mellowed is more woodsy than smokey. Entry has smoothed substantially and is showing more raspberry and boysenberry. Fruit comes first followed by smoke, a reversal of last night's tasting. Finish carries some smoke and the tartness has abated, but is similar to initial impressions. For those who like numbers, my gut tells me this picked up 3 points overnight (88 points).

I'll confess to having a love affair with the Morgan. The nose of the wine was still with me at work today and the first whiff of the glass tonight, while subdued, is still doin' it's thing. Hasn't lost a bit of the smoothness, but the flavor explosion isn't there any more. As with the CS, the finish hasn't been that affected by a day of being open. The subdued flavors lead naturally to a softer finish. Gut rating again, I'd drop a point off on the flavor component, bringing the Morgan on Day 2 closer to the Chateau Souverain at 89 points.

A year or so ago, the Morgan was actually drinking a helluva lot better on Day 2 than on Day 1 and it's been interesting to track its short-term aging. With only one bottle left, the next sample will be the end of the road.

For the 05 Chateau Souverain, I would recommend forgetting about them in the cellar until early 2009. If this '05 is aging similarly to the '04s, I would expect VERY positive reviews of the 2004 from tonight's lab rats based on it being a year more mature than what I feel is an adolescent 2005 Pinot Noir.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

So my rebuke from Corrado for my shameless begging aside, I think I am your first official Rat Report for the 2004 offering of this excellent wine.

As I said in my earlier post, FEDEX delivered the box around 2:00 Eastern and Mom signed for it. "What's this?" she asks as I come downstairs after seeing the FEDEX truck drive away. Oh, could it be... did I really draw the proverbial "golden ticket"? YES! I am positively overcome with joy and elation runs through my veins!

So bringing the box into the kitchen I open it to discover that the aforementioned proverbial golden ticket is in fact an ACTUAL golden ticket sitting on top of my very carefully packed and cold pack protected bottle. Huh, all this time I just thought it was WW slang.

I pulled the bottle out of the box and set it on the counter to settle a bit. Around 2:30, unable to contain myself and wanting to get it into the decanter before we left for the latest round of D.C. area sight-seeing I cut the foil and pulled the cork. The vast majority went straight into my decanter, but approximately 2 small or 1 large drink went into my version of a B.A.G (Big A$$ Glass).

The color is exactly BMW Barbera Red .. I know this because I saw one yesterday and when I looked through the glass, DING... that's what I thought of. And yes, I did have to go look up the name of the color.

I swirled and smelled and liked what I was getting... Some spice that I can't quite put my finger on poking through what can only be described as an earthy funk... followed by hints of ripe cherries and not so much raspberries, but raspberry candy.

The initial taste hot feeling like it was a tad heavy on the alcohol, but the fruit immediately jumped up and grabbed me which was then followed by that earthy funk and a spice taste that isn't pepper but again... I can't quite get a hold of it... across my mid-palate. The finish was smooth and long, lingering on the sides of my tongue, but not overwhelming as the tannins seem to be in pretty good balance with the initial fruit mini-bomb. Hmmmm I think to myself... I bet this will be AMAZING a year from now! Mom says to me, "Oh you opened it... let me have a taste" Mom, who drinks 1-2 glasses of whatever red you put in front of her takes a sip and pronounces, "Pretty good stuff" High praise indeed!

We then left for a few hours to go visit Great Falls National Park.... A must see if you are ever in the D.C. area.. but that's a story for another post. Dinner followed and it was 6:00 by the time we returned home. Oh joy I think, 3 1/2 hours in the decanter.

Out comes the B.A.G. and in goes a solid slug of wine... I start to swirl and just as I'm about to calibrate my olfactory organ, I hear, "Hey, I want a glass". So Mom gets a glass as well. Now.. where was I? Oh yeah, swirl & sniff... hey... remember that spice... CINNAMON! Definitely cinnamon. Hey Mom, smell the cinnamon? "Huh, cinnamon who would have thought wine would smell like cinnamon on cherries?" It's at times like this that I remember why I love my Mom so much!

Now onto the tasting... sour cherries and not quite ripe raspberries, a hint of strawberries... the not unpleasant funk has mellowed but still there and the finish is longer and smoother but still pulling up the sides of my tongue . This needs some food. Run to the fridge and what to my wandering eyes does appear? mmmm aged cheddar and shaved prosciutto. Take a small piece of cheese, wrap it in a little ham, savor the bite and then another sip of wine... YES... the tannins perfectly cut the residual fat and allow the fruit to come through even more.

So, final verdict: Now I'm a lot like several others on the boards here, and to quote Lowell, "Big bold bad ass reds are right in my wheelhouse". This is an excellent wine that pairs very well with any meat dish. I think if I was choosing, I'd stick with pork or a mellow beef, and for me, it's non inconceivable that I would drink this with an oilier fish. For the price, I think this is an excellent wine and I'm glad I'm in for 3. My only cautionary note, is that think that I am going to sit on these for at least a year before I open another one and see what happens then.

Oh, I almost forgot. Mom says, "How much is this? Can I buy a bottle from you?" And then she didn't even blink when I quoted the retail price. Again, high praise. You know what Mom, I'm coming to see you in 3 weeks, when my shipment gets here, you can have one (CARP did I really just say that?!?!?!)

And Corrado... I promise no more begging... even though it seemed to work... or maybe it was throwing Mom under the bus that got WD's attention. Whatever, no more begging... at least until Dad comes to visit! ;-)

p.s. It's now almost 7 and the wine has been in the decanter 4 1/2 hours. I just poured my second glass and WOW that made a HUGE difference. The only word I can think of to add to what I wrote above is "SMOOOOOOTH"

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

kylemittskus

Let's dissect the "wait, what the heck is that?"

This doesn't seem to be a frightful question since it isn't an exclamation; it is inherently inquisitive. I don't think it will be Ployphemous (sadly).
What would we not suspect on wine.woot? What would make us say, "Wait, what the heck is that."

I think it will not be wine, although I am not sure it will be common wine food either (cheese for instance).

I am not so sure that beer is out of the question...

Thoughts?

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

kylemittskus wrote:I am not so sure that beer is out of the question...

Thoughts?

It has been made crystal clear in the past that beer *is* out of the question (different regulations and major legal hurdles worse than wine).

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
kylemittskus wrote:Let's dissect the "wait, what the heck is that?"

This doesn't seem to be a frightful question since it isn't an exclamation; it is inherently inquisitive. I don't think it will be Ployphemous (sadly).
What would we not suspect on wine.woot? What would make us say, "Wait, what the heck is that."

I think it will not be wine, although I am not sure it will be common wine food either (cheese for instance).

Thoughts?

The new Woot Wannabe Red?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

cheron98

kylemittskus wrote:Let's dissect the "wait, what the heck is that?"

Thoughts?

I think (hope) it'll be the wootfood wannabe stuff - dipping oils and tapenades. Sooo delicious. And I have usage ideas! You know, so they're more versatile than just for use with bread (how boring).

cheron98

Corrado and spdrcr05 : You're packed.

favrerocks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages favrerocks

Re: what the heck is that?

I'm going to go off the board and say it will be some kind of high-end balsamic vinegar made by one of the wineries Woot Wine has had on before.

Random Crap x3
Norman, Monticello (rat), Cavedoni (bv), Chase (x3), Benson (x3) and much more to come

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

spdrcr05 wrote: For the price, I think this is an excellent wine and I'm glad I'm in for 3. My only cautionary note, is that think that I am going to sit on these for at least a year before I open another one and see what happens then.

p.s. It's now almost 7 and the wine has been in the decanter 4 1/2 hours. I just poured my second glass and WOW that made a HUGE difference. The only word I can think of to add to what I wrote above is "SMOOOOOOTH"

Many similarities with the '04 review and the '05 day-after. I'll pay attention and see if I can pick up that cinnamon as one of the 'mystery' flavors I couldn't tease out.

favrerocks

Another possibility for Thursday's offering - the NYT had an article on dry sherries today - http://events.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/reviews/09wine.html?ref=dining

Maybe that?

Random Crap x3
Norman, Monticello (rat), Cavedoni (bv), Chase (x3), Benson (x3) and much more to come

jings69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jings69

Labrats tipped me ...in fer 2

what will tonight bring ????

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

i'd be down for some high end california cold pressed olive oil!

favrerocks

Forget my previous predictions:

http://www.heckestates.com/

Random Crap x3

spdrcr05

jings69 wrote:Labrats tipped me ...in fer 2

My whole life I've been known as a bad influence... nice to see it continues on WW! ;)

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

duck833

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duck833

Opened up the cheese cannonball I bought months ago on woot. Was a little worried that it would be bad, having sitting in the refrigerator all this time. Not to worry, it is wonderful, a little difficult trimming off all the crusty skin but good once you get inside. Had this edam with some Rogue Blue with a nice crisp 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir Rose', will open a 2006 Shea Estate Pinot Noir with dinner.

good food, good wine, bad girl = great evening

andyduncan

favrerocks wrote:Forget my previous predictions:

http://www.heckestates.com/

Hmm, good thinking, but which winery?

favrerocks

andyduncan wrote:Hmm, good thinking, but which winery?

To make a double joke on the what the heck is that, I'm going to say the Pininfarina 2005 Vino Rosso, as they are better known as a design firm (and if the Pininfarina Ferrari is thrown in as an extra, that would be super cool).

Random Crap x3

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
duck833 wrote:Opened up the cheese cannonball I bought months ago on woot. Was a little worried that it would be bad, having sitting in the refrigerator all this time. Not to worry, it is wonderful, a little difficult trimming off all the crusty skin but good once you get inside. Had this edam with some Rogue Blue with a nice crisp 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir Rose', will open a 2006 Shea Estate Pinot Noir with dinner.

Which Rogue Blue?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

This whole time I've been trying to talk myself into this. Now that I'm ready I notice that they cant ship to OH. I swear OH was listed on Monday.

Sad face

Crossing fingers for a good bottle that can ship to OH tmrw

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

There has been a ton of conversation in the forums lately of wine aerators.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

...and coolers....

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Corrado wrote:So, since I know this offering ends tonight, I'm also breaking from my 'night-cap' tasting tradition and pounding some vino after work.

Same wines, same glasses, 62.1F according to my Woot-purchased thermometer.

Chateau Souverian nose has mellowed is more woodsy than smokey. Entry has smoothed substantially and is showing more raspberry and boysenberry. Fruit comes first followed by smoke, a reversal of last night's tasting. Finish carries some smoke and the tartness has abated, but is similar to initial impressions. For those who like numbers, my gut tells me this picked up 3 points overnight (88 points).

I'll confess to having a love affair with the Morgan. The nose of the wine was still with me at work today and the first whiff of the glass tonight, while subdued, is still doin' it's thing. Hasn't lost a bit of the smoothness, but the flavor explosion isn't there any more. As with the CS, the finish hasn't been that affected by a day of being open. The subdued flavors lead naturally to a softer finish. Gut rating again, I'd drop a point off on the flavor component, bringing the Morgan on Day 2 closer to the Chateau Souverain at 89 points.

A year or so ago, the Morgan was actually drinking a helluva lot better on Day 2 than on Day 1 and it's been interesting to track its short-term aging. With only one bottle left, the next sample will be the end of the road.

For the 05 Chateau Souverain, I would recommend forgetting about them in the cellar until early 2009. If this '05 is aging similarly to the '04s, I would expect VERY positive reviews of the 2004 from tonight's lab rats based on it being a year more mature than what I feel is an adolescent 2005 Pinot Noir.

Nice reports (as always). Very honest and [they sound] fair. I was bit skeptical of your side-by-side approach at first, but I have appreciated your reviews and I think this actually seemed to work well.

Thanks, C!

CT | | | | | |

kylemittskus

MaskedMarvel wrote:There has been a ton of conversation in the forums lately of wine aerators.

I'd be in for two if it was the V one whatever its called.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
JesseM3 wrote:So has every winery decided against NJ shipping? It used to be that maybe 1 or 4 or 5 wine.woots would ship to NJ. Now it has been months with no NJ-willing wineries.

I'd keep wootlegging via friends in Manhattan, but they've been getting annoyed.

I'll receive for you, and I freelance so I'm usually always home. The UPS man knows me and we can save on shipping!

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

jwhite6114 wrote:Nice reports (as always). Very honest and [they sound] fair. I was bit skeptical of your side-by-side approach at first, but I have appreciated your reviews and I think this actually seemed to work well.

Thanks, C!

There are a gajillion Pinots between $12 and $30 out there that would have been killed by this wine. I have a few bottles of a $40+ Williamette PN in the cellar that I would rate similarly (different style, but similar in overall quality/appeal) to the Chateau Souverain. The Morgan is either the 2005 Wolftrap of Pinot Noir in terms of QPR and appeal or it's just is the Yin wine to my Yang palate.

There's still little doubt in my mind that this offering is a tremendous value. The irony for me, reading some of the comments, is that there are always a lot of folks looking for wines they can lay down for a few years. Along comes such an offering and *that* seems to scare people off. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
duck833 wrote:Opened up the cheese cannonball I bought months ago on woot. Was a little worried that it would be bad, having sitting in the refrigerator all this time. Not to worry, it is wonderful, a little difficult trimming off all the crusty skin but good once you get inside. Had this edam with some Rogue Blue with a nice crisp 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir Rose', will open a 2006 Shea Estate Pinot Noir with dinner.

Oooh! I adore rosés, what winery is that from? And how would you characterize the 2006 PN?

I adore rosés but the new ones I've tried lately have been nearly all quite mediocre - really disappointing! I don't think I've had a PN rosé, or not more than one for sure, either.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

laurmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurmom
andyduncan wrote:Oooooh, they have Meridian's "Tasting Room/Wine Club Only" Petit Sirah

I hope it's that one, would be interested to hear Loweel's take on it. (It's my favorite of the under $30 Petit Sirah's I've had)

Tease. If ONLY!

spdrcr05

Corrado wrote:There are a gajillion Pinots between $12 and $30 out there that would have been killed by this wine. I have a few bottles of a $40+ Williamette PN in the cellar that I would rate similarly (different style, but similar in overall quality/appeal) to the Chateau Souverain. The Morgan is either the 2005 Wolftrap of Pinot Noir in terms of QPR and appeal or it's just is the Yin wine to my Yang palate.

There's still little doubt in my mind that this offering is a tremendous value. The irony for me, reading some of the comments, is that there are always a lot of folks looking for wines they can lay down for a few years. Along comes such an offering and *that* seems to scare people off. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

I'm with C'man here... I'm glad I'm in for 3... but I'm planning on laying down the '04 for at least a year before I open another one and the 05's probalby for 2... but I bet I drink one just to see shortly after I get them. Based on Corrado's report, other than a quick taste, my first 05 will spend 4 or more hours in the decanter before I touch it.