+ Add a Comment

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

x-post from the Pub:

speedoo wrote:So. Who's drinking what tonight?

I finished off some Humbug opened a couple of nights ago.

If there isn't yet a Woot Wine Commandment that says one must always automatically order the max of any Woot Cellars offering, there should be.

2006 Rowland Cellars Pinot Noir Ramspeck. Tasted it last week and enjoyed it enough to order 2 glasses and bought a bottle to take home. It's my first foray into PN, but I may be hooked. Had a glass with dinner (roast beef, mashed potatoes, corn), and I'm working on the 2nd glass of the night now.

I didn't know if it would be appropriate to directly compare wines in the main room, but if anyone has had this and can give me some input about this one vs the Chateau Souverain I'd appreciate it.

edit: I'm already in for 1

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Corrado wrote:I'll pub it later today when I've got a bit of down time. Might just start a "homebrewing" thread over there for recipe exchanges. Another site I've participated in does regular (though somewhat illegal) homebrew exchanges via FedEx/UPS/DHL (no USPS for hopefully obvious reasons).

It's up.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

davidgrahammd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidgrahammd

Very happy to find my rat package waiting at the end of a long day...

Tasted on it's own without benefit (or lack thereof) food alongside...

This is not a chewy mouth-bomb type of PN. The texture is certainly lighter than many other PNs, I've had. This is not a complaint but rather a distinction to be noted.

Straight out sipping brings out a very peppery flavor with a definite taste of the alcohol. After 45 minutes or so, however, the flavors really open up and the berries make their presence known. The peppery undertone stays, though.

A definite benefit is there to be had from decanting this for 30 minutes or so.

This wine would go just fine with a pasta dish, especially with a pesto or alfredo sauce. It would also be just fine with some fruit or cheese. A big old hunk-o-cow (steak) or heavy marinara sauce would likely overpower this.

And...as heretical as it sounds...I would not mind having this with a good fish entree like a seared tuna or salmon.

I greatly appreciate the opportunity to share like this and my "golden ticket" will be prominently displayed at my desk.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
cooneym11 wrote:Come back Thursday for a nice bottle of...wait, what the heck is that?

Wait, what the heck is that? Suspect the next offering may not be wine, and with all the talk last week about beer, here is my long shot guess. Just released yesterday, so maybe a special price for us wooters?

http://www.stonebrew.com/12th/ale/

if that is the truth, i would die.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
nallie wrote:In light of the complicated details of this week's labrattage ('age' pronounced as in dressage, s'il vous plait), maybe previous precedent can be suspended and pending labrats can be warned that they should swing by their UPS boxes, offices, or homes in order to increase the success rate of on time reporting? Just a thought. Not that I am hoping you’ll tell me I'm one or anything. Ummm, really. And the fancy horse talk and French were not designed to pander to the impression that I am a cultured woman and therefore worthy of rattage. To be clear, I'm not begging. Because we know C hates the labrat begging. And it's mote at this point anyway. So I'm not begging, more like just inquiring. Mostly because of the part about it being mote; I'm actually only marginally invested in how I make C feel. More invested in getting free wine. But that's just me. to the C-dog.

Probably too late to beg, considering they had to ship the labrat bottles before 6pm at the very latest.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cooneym11 wrote:Come back Thursday for a nice bottle of...wait, what the heck is that?

Wait, what the heck is that? Suspect the next offering may not be wine, and with all the talk last week about beer, here is my long shot guess. Just released yesterday, so maybe a special price for us wooters?

http://www.stonebrew.com/12th/ale/

Really, really doubt it would be a beer of any kind.

Maybe cheese, or one or more of the Woot foods.

or ..... PS?????? please, please, please ...

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

OOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!! It's still here!!! Please woot this item off!!! Oy vey! This reminds me of that movie......ummmm.......Groundhogs Day! I would rather watch "Manos-the hand of fate" for three days straight! Go ahead and put me in the dog house but you know it's true!!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
davidgrahammd wrote:Very happy to find my rat package waiting at the end of a long day...

This is not a chewy mouth-bomb type of PN. The texture is certainly lighter than many other PNs, I've had. This is not a complaint but rather a distinction to be noted.

Straight out sipping brings out a very peppery flavor with a definite taste of the alcohol. After 45 minutes or so, however, the flavors really open up and the berries make their presence known. The peppery undertone stays, though.

This wine would go just fine with a pasta dish, especially with a pesto or alfredo sauce. It would also be just fine with some fruit or cheese. A big old hunk-o-cow (steak) or heavy marinara sauce would likely overpower this.

And...as heretical as it sounds...I would not mind having this with a good fish entree like a seared tuna or salmon.

I greatly appreciate the opportunity to share like this and my "golden ticket" will be prominently displayed at my desk.

Thanks for the report! Packed!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

boaz38 wrote:OOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!! It's still here!!! Please woot this item off!!! Oy vey! This reminds me of that movie......ummmm.......Groundhogs Day! I would rather watch "Manos-the hand of fate" for three days straight! Go ahead and put me in the dog house but you know it's true!!

Um, you do realize that typically on wine.woot items stay up for a week, right? Typically? Except for the past like month or so where it's shifted to being Monday/Thursday offerings? Right?

Speaking of, WD, does this mean we should start expecting dual-offering weeks from here on out?

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 25 Private Messages DonaldWilliams

We still have more labrat reports coming, hopefully tonight, on the 2004?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

DonaldWilliams wrote:We still have more labrat reports coming, hopefully tonight, on the 2004?

Correct. Should be 2 people.

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold
davidgrahammd wrote:Very happy to find my rat package waiting at the end of a long day...

Thanks for the post. Sounds interesting.

I know everyone hates points, but what is your overall impression of the wine? Would you buy it again at this price?

mattlscc

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mattlscc

I think this is my first comment on the wine.woot... just checking it out to see what it is about. Maybe I should learn more about wine before I post again. Thanks!

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

mattlscc wrote:I think this is my first comment on the wine.woot... just checking it out to see what it is about. Maybe I should learn more about wine before I post again. Thanks!

Typically you'll find seafood and power tools for sale here as combo-deals (e.g. Black and Decker Circular Saw Fish).

Many of us have our butlers post for us and speak in single-word posts like, "Quite," and, "Indeed."

In all seriousness, this is a great place to learn about wine in a very NON-pretentious (well, most of the time) atmosphere.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
Corrado wrote:Typically you'll find seafood and power tools for sale here as combo-deals (e.g. Black and Decker Circular Saw Fish).

Many of us have our butlers post for us and speak in single-word posts like, "Quite," and, "Indeed."

In all seriousness, this is a great place to learn about wine in a very NON-pretentious (well, most of the time) atmosphere.

Unless you are schooling people about not "begging" for 'rattage' (don't forget to use the pronunciation specified earlier.

Dude.. just kidding!

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
mattlscc wrote:I think this is my first comment on the wine.woot... just checking it out to see what it is about. Maybe I should learn more about wine before I post again. Thanks!

Doesn't seem to stop the rest of us.

But seriously, the best way to learn is to stick around and READ. Toss in some questions if you feel like it. The winemaker or a winery rep usually make appearances here to answer. But fair warning... among the top posts that will draw immediate scorn are "I can get this cheaper" (because you can't), and "this vacuums" (unless you include a detailed reason of WHY you think something vacuums).
Enjoy!

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

davidgrahammd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidgrahammd
uhoerhold wrote:Thanks for the post. Sounds interesting.

I know everyone hates points, but what is your overall impression of the wine? Would you buy it again at this price?

At this price I would definitely buy this wine... especially for informal gatherings and lighter meals

I don't know that I feel comfortable giving points...sorry

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

C-dawg, maybe I missed some of your comments. Do you think 4h is a bit heavy on the aeration of the wine? Did you try it earlier?

signed.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Corrado wrote:Typically you'll find seafood and power tools for sale here as combo-deals (e.g. Black and Decker Circular Saw Fish).

Yeah, but the deal on the B&D Circ. Sawfish wasn't that great. I found one cheaper at the local Ace Hardware. Even after taxes it was a better price. (plus they really needed to use summer shipping on that saw -- phew!)

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
MarkDaSpark wrote:Really, really doubt it would be a beer of any kind.

Maybe cheese, or one or more of the Woot foods.

or ..... PS?????? please, please, please ...

We're not "due" for more PS, yet; nor are we "due" for another non-woot item. We are "due" for some more white's soon; though varietally we're "overdue" for Zin (are we sticking with Chateau Souverain?).

When I say "due" I mean purely by comparing the make up of the previous 50 offers to the makeup of the total offers, and seeing which varietals are recently under represented.

CT | | | | | |

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

That would be great if there was a white offering.....then I may have an opportunity to put out the flames on my CC!

CT

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

canonizer wrote:C-dawg, maybe I missed some of your comments. Do you think 4h is a bit heavy on the aeration of the wine? Did you try it earlier?

No, the wines were vastly improved at the 3h mark over the 30 minute mark. Pinots seem to be very fickle about temperature (or maybe it's the drinker). Too cold and the nose is closed. Too warm and the flavors get muddy and dull. The Morgan seems to have about a 5 degree drinking window where it ROCKS. I think the CS was similar and it seemed to hit its stride where the Morgan did (58-62F).

In a break from my usual tradition (decant to a half bottle & refrigerate), I corked both bottles (each half full) and put them in the cellar (which is around 62F these days) and will taste again tonight. I suspect the CS will show itself better this evening and Morgan may actually have lost some of it luster.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
jwhite6114 wrote:We're not "due" for more PS, yet; nor are we "due" for another non-woot item. We are "due" for some more white's soon; though varietally we're "overdue" for Zin (are we sticking with Chateau Souverain?).

When I say "due" I mean purely by comparing the make up of the previous 50 offers to the makeup of the total offers, and seeing which varietals are recently under represented.

I could really do some zinn. Whites, not so interesting.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
spdrcr05 wrote:Wine Spies liked the 2005 and Wine Log has a short but favorable review of the 04.

Sigh... I don't really need 9 more bottles of wine... especially since the girlfriend (oops... ex-GF) moved out on Friday so my wine consumption rate just went down almost 50%. Oh what the hell. In for 3!

WD... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE (with sugar on top) Rat me! I'm home all week with relatives visiting.... I'll have the time to a) properly decant b) whip up a proper food pairing, and c) could use some distraction from the fact that my mother is here ;)

WOOOO HOOOOO! FEDEX just delivered me a bottle of the 2004. Of course Mom signed for it so I'm gonna have a hard time not sharing! My first lab rat report coming up in a couple of hours... I assure hours before the deadline.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

Winedavid39

quality posts: 194 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

spdrcr05 wrote:WOOOO HOOOOO! FEDEX just delivered me a bottle of the 2004. Of course Mom signed for it so I'm gonna have a hard time not sharing! My first lab rat report coming up in a couple of hours... I assure hours before the deadline.

That's a relief!

bkarney

So, this offering will be over at midnight right??

CT

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

bkarney wrote:So, this offering will be over at midnight right??

That appears to be the trick du jour! Front page says get ready for something new tomorrow!

bkarney

I swear I need some self-control.... oh well!!

First sucker: nallie
Speed to first woot: 0m 47.297s

Last wooter to woot: bkarney

This drunken road to being broke sure is fun!

CT

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Corrado wrote:That appears to be the trick du jour! Front page says get ready for something new tomorrow!

They need one that says "FREE WINE TOMORROW!"

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

bkarney

andyduncan wrote:They need one that says "FREE WINE TOMORROW!"

The server is quivering at the mere suggestion of such an event

CT

JesseM3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JesseM3

So has every winery decided against NJ shipping? It used to be that maybe 1 or 4 or 5 wine.woots would ship to NJ. Now it has been months with no NJ-willing wineries.

I'd keep wootlegging via friends in Manhattan, but they've been getting annoyed.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

JesseM3 wrote:So has every winery decided against NJ shipping? It used to be that maybe 1 or 4 or 5 wine.woots would ship to NJ. Now it has been months with no NJ-willing wineries.

I'd keep wootlegging via friends in Manhattan, but they've been getting annoyed.

Maybe if you stopped showing up at their apartment at 3AM on a Wednesday demanding your wine they'd be more understanding. When I've wootlegged in the past, I've made sure that the friends get something nice for their trouble. That usually shuts 'em up. ;)

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

I swore - swore! - I wouldn't woo for a while because my racks and wine fridge are full and I"m hiding bottles in cabinets. Plus, the Dallas heat really worries me for shipping. But Souverain is my house wine and I couldn't pass this up. Can't wait to see what's coming tomorrow. Ow, my aching credit card.

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

bkarney

JanFP wrote:I swore - swore! - I wouldn't woo for a while because my racks and wine fridge are full and I"m hiding bottles in cabinets. Plus, the Dallas heat really worries me for shipping. But Souverain is my house wine and I couldn't pass this up. Can't wait to see what's coming tomorrow. Ow, my aching credit card.

Jan, so I take it you have had their PN before ..... how do they stack up against the quality of their Cabs and Zin?

CT

KurtBiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KurtBiz
jwhite6114 wrote:We're not "due" for more PS, yet; nor are we "due" for another non-woot item. We are "due" for some more white's soon; though varietally we're "overdue" for Zin (are we sticking with Chateau Souverain?).

I'm going to pass on the PN, in hopes that maybe tonight will bring the Chateau Souverain Zin as you suggest it might.. b/c it does sorta make sense statistically. Based on the taste descriptions, I don't think PN would be a good match at all for my novice, uncomplicated palate this early in the game. Maybe when an wine.woot offering comes about with a PN paired with other varietals or in a smaller set than 3.

dan0aab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dan0aab

Was on the fence and realized finally no OH shipping. I didn't read enough excitement in the labrats to swing me into this one. I like to be sold and it just isn't doing it. Intrigued yes.

Maybe tomorrow will do it for me. If so I'll probably be kicking myself for not doing both since presumably I'll need to pick the midweek offering up out of state as well.

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

With the labrats for the 2004 late to the game maybe my experience can help. As many have expressed here, I too was unfamiliar with Souverain Pinot Noir. Their Cabs, Merlots and Zins are well known and highly recommended for their value. Well I recently had the opportunity to taste my first CS PN and it was the 2004. I found the style to be classic new world, fruit forward, soft tannin and supple body, strawberry, cherry and sweet spice, cinnamon on the palate. I did pickup some subtle earthy notes and a hint of smoke which complimented the complexity in the background. Overall, a well balanced, smooth and easy to drink (in one sitting) wine with a nice lingering finish that only left me wanting for more and more I had. IMO this is an excellent soft summer red that pairs extremely well with food. Try it with grilled Salmon. I would also recommend this is an excellent bridge wine or intro for any nubbies to dry reds. Typically, these are not built to age like old world PN and while I am sure this will hold up a while the fruit is so expressive now that I do not see the benefit in holding on for any significant length of time. Although your company at Thanksgiving will be glad you did so. Pinot Noir is my favorite red with food and this will not disappoint. As far as the QPR goes, IMO this is an excellent deal and certainly in keeping with Sourverain and W.W.'s rep for delivering just that.

As far as any AVA concerns, the regions represented here are well know as that best sources for PN and Chard in the area. It is no accident that the Sparkling houses reside there. IMO there is no need for concern here.

kylemittskus

I believe, although my mind is capricious, that after all of my waffling, I will be holding off until tonight in hopes for a more highly praised offering such as their Zin. Corrado's report didn't put me over the edge and it was the '05 that was so intriguing to me. However, as I said, the '04 reports may force my hand.

Was anyone else almost in but now not?

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
KurtBiz wrote:I'm going to pass on the PN, in hopes that maybe tonight will bring the Chateau Souverain Zin as you suggest it might.. b/c it does sorta make sense statistically.

kylemittskus wrote:I believe, although my mind is capricious, that after all of my waffling, I will be holding off until tonight in hopes for a more highly praised offering such as their Zin.

Given that this is a Wines 360 deal and not one directly from the winery, I wouldn't be so sure that tonight's offer is going to be another Chateau Souverain wine.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

kylemittskus

andyduncan wrote:Given that this is a Wines 360 deal and not one directly from the winery, I wouldn't be so sure that tonight's offer is going to be another Chateau Souverain wine.

Good point. You're thinking food?