susan360

quality posts: 3 Private Messages susan360

I will warn our beloved "rats" that you'll only get the 2005 today - the 2004 will follow tomorrow. This is my fault. they were at two warehouses and due to the 4th of July holiday, didn't get sent out in time. My sincere apologies but at least you'll get the 2005 today...happy sipping.

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
susan360 wrote:I
. However, weather, winemaker styles, if a creekbed runs through your vineyard, types of oak, canopy management, viticulture techniques, toasting, blending, etc, etc etc, can all dramatically change wines that have the same AVAs.

Precisely why I've always made a joke on these boards when asking about the specifics of a wine. Usually something like % alcohol, Brix at harvest, RS, what color shirt did you wear on crushing day?

it seems to me that every good vinter has a couple tricks, superstitions, or whatever that makes there juice unique.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
paryb wrote:Precisely why I've always made a joke on these boards when asking about the specifics of a wine. Usually something like % alcohol, Brix at harvest, RS, what color shirt did you wear on crushing day?

it seems to me that every good vinter has a couple tricks, superstitions, or whatever that makes there juice unique.

Isn't that the beauty of wine though? Every single year is different and every single vineyard is different.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

O/T, but both the Donati and Corison sets' tracking info hasn't changed since I first got notification. They still stay, when I try to track, only 'billing information received'. Any clue when these will ship?

*wants her vino*

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
fairnymph wrote:O/T, but both the Donati and Corison sets' tracking info hasn't changed since I first got notification. They still stay, when I try to track, only 'billing information received'. Any clue when these will ship?

*wants her vino*

Why allow me to introduce you to a very informative post by corrado here:Go check it out.

h/t to cheron

signed.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
fairnymph wrote:O/T, but both the Donati and Corison sets' tracking info hasn't changed since I first got notification. They still stay, when I try to track, only 'billing information received'. Any clue when these will ship?

*wants her vino*

They're probably on their way right now. During the summer, last summer at least, the east coast wine was trucked in a refridgerated truck east than delivered to a central hub (DC?) and UPS'd from there

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
Corrado wrote:Closer to 5 (unless you want flat beer).

That's why I just got myself a kegging system... force carbination baby. Pics to follow

On a side note, there's a national mead competition that I just found out about that has entries due during the summer. That mead you made should be ready just in time for next year's entry :-P

Corrado wrote:I'll pub it later today when I've got a bit of down time. Might just start a "homebrewing" thread over there for recipe exchanges. Another site I've participated in does regular (though somewhat illegal) homebrew exchanges via FedEx/UPS/DHL (no USPS for hopefully obvious reasons).

Yeah we should definitely start a thread and exchange.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

Thanks folks!

Knowing it's the norm and having a idea of the time frame puts my mind at ease.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
clayfu wrote:Sonoma Coast does not contain much of RRV. Just look at a map.

Why would anyone ever question SB when he's discussing the legalities of his profession?

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Corrado wrote:Depends whether the SC he's talking about is Sonoma County or Sonoma Coast. I think he's been talking about "Coast" most of the time, which is also a sub-district of Sonoma County, but *is* exclusive from the RRV sub-district.

...not that any of this matters. It's a screaming deal. Buy it already.

Actually, Sonoma Coast includes about 85% of RR (all but the easternmost edge, which isn't PN country). Sonoma Coast is more of a "political" appellation than a geographic one, and is highly varied in terms of soils and climate. The driving force behind the formation of the Sonoma Coast appellation was a larger winery with vineyards in both RR and Carneros, that wanted to use the Estate Bottled designation for their Carneros wines, but not go to a Sonoma County appellation. (You can't use the term "Estate Bottled" if the winery is not located in the appellation named on the label.)

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

clayfu wrote:Coast does not equal County.

Quit life now you lose thanks.

(don't forget who spent the entire first page talking about the wrong AVA ).

I would *strongly* recommend moving this increasingly off-topic (and trending toward unruly) geographic debates to the CyberPub to avoid stepping on the Lab Rats, our winery guests, or folks who have genuine questions about these wines.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

SonomaBouliste

barrymccochener wrote:However, who is Clay to criticize anyone for reading when the whole sonoma COAST discussion started because he misread sonoma COUNTY for the 2005.

Also, I believe that SB was incorrect when he said that sonoma COAST contains much of RRV and also Sonoma Carneros. He meant COUNTY. This has only added to the confusion, although it's understandable how this mistake was made.

Edit: But most of all, thanks so much to Susan for relentlessly hunting down the answers we've been desiring!!!

No , I did mean Sonoma Coast. It's a huge, complicated appellation, including most of RR and all of Sonoma Carneros. Unless the Carneros portion of the 2005 is from Napa (Carneros straddles Sonoma and Napa counties) this wine is legally entitled to be labelled Sonoma Coast (and the 2004 probably could have been so labelled as well).

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
susan360 wrote:2004:
96% Pinot Noir. Of this 90% is from the Russian River appellation, 10% is from the Carneros appellation.
4% Syrah from the Russian River appellation.

2005:
100% Pinot Noir. Of this 82% were from the Russian River appellation, 18% were from Carneros appellation.

susan360 wrote:The Carneros juice in the 04 is from the Stanley vineyard in Carneros. The Carneros juice in the 05 if from the Benoist vineyard in Carneros. They are about .5 miles away from each other.

Thanks for the detailed info.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

SonomaBouliste

susan360 wrote:I have to admit - I got lost awhile ago. What was the question?

Sonoma County is a county appellation. It has many sub AVAs within it, such as Russian River, Carneros, or Sonoma Coast.

The 05 vintage is Sonoma County, as it doesn't meet the 85% sub AVA appellation requirement to be labeled as a sub-appellation in Sonoma (meaning 85% of the juice didn't come from one AVA – it was a blend of Russian river and Carneros, both AVAs within the Sonoma County appellation).

The value of labeling something as a sub AVA is it gives the buyer a rough idea that juice in that area will have similar characteristics. However, weather, winemaker styles, if a creekbed runs through your vineyard, types of oak, canopy management, viticulture techniques, toasting, blending, etc, etc etc, can all dramatically change wines that have the same AVAs.

If something is labeled an AVA, or a County designation (or even a State, like "California" which means a blend of, say, Napa, Sonoma, and Central Coast appellations) it doesn't really give an indication of quality - just where the grapes came from. But don't tell the marketing guys I said that.

Sonoma Coast is another sub-appellation, or AVA, in Sonoma County, just like Russian River or Carneros. Nothing in either of these wines comes from the Sonoma Coast AVA. That is over the mountain range from Russian River, or Carneros. Very different temperature and soils, as well. Souverain does not own vineyards in the Sonoma Coast AVA, as far as I know.

For more on the Sonoma County designation, or sub AVAs, visit http://wine.appellationamerica.com/search.aspx?search=sonoma

If that doesn’t answer your question, LMK.

Great description of appellations / characteristics / legal requirements. Take a closer look at the AVA maps; I believe 100% of your fruit may be from Sonoma Coast (unless the Carneros vineyard is in Napa), and that you were legally entitled to that designation if you wanted it.

Edit: I just remembered where the Benoist vineyard is located. Totally Sonoma Coast (and Carneros, and Sonoma Valley, and Sonoma County, and North Coast, and California).

SonomaBouliste

Corrado wrote:(don't forget who spent the entire first page talking about the wrong AVA ).

I would *strongly* recommend moving this increasingly off-topic (and trending toward unruly) geographic debates to the CyberPub to avoid stepping on the Lab Rats, our winery guests, or folks who have genuine questions about these wines.

Oops, sorry Corrado. I read this after I responded to the other posts.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
Corrado wrote:(don't forget who spent the entire first page talking about the wrong AVA ).

hehehe

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
SonomaBouliste wrote:No , I did mean Sonoma Coast. It's a huge, complicated appellation, including most of RR and all of Sonoma Carneros. Unless the Carneros portion of the 2005 is from Napa (Carneros straddles Sonoma and Napa counties) this wine is legally entitled to be labelled Sonoma Coast (and the 2004 probably could have been so labelled as well).

With apologies to Corrado: Been trying to find AVA maps that are any good, this map of Sonoma County AVAs (zoom in or download) is the only one I've found that clearly shows the overlap of "Sonoma Coast" and the sub-AVAs in question. Most of the others make it look like "Sonoma Coast" only exists where the other appellations end.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

kylemittskus

Hey Susan,

I am most certainly in for one. Just wondering: the website says the '05 would do well cellared for a couple of years. What about cellaring the '04? Suggestions for how long it should be cellared, if at all?

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
kylemittskus wrote:Hey Susan,

I am most certainly in for one. Just wondering: the website says the '05 would do well cellared for a couple of years. What about cellaring the '04? Suggestions for how long it should be cellared, if at all?

Susan thanks for the detailed info in response to my post last night. Let me add another question re. the 04... why did Ed choose to add the syrah? Was he looking for more body, some different fruits in the profile, or what?

You've succeeded putting me back on the fence on this... waiting for some labrat reports tonight and tomorrow.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
kylemittskus wrote:Hey Susan,

And recommended decant times, if applicable.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

Oh sure, send the mob into the Pub! Are you trying to punishing the Pub Patrons for something, or hoping that the thread dies in the rowdy pub atmosphere?

CT | | | | | |

eric9tx

jwhite6114 wrote: Are you trying to punishing the Pub Patrons for something, or hoping that the thread dies in the rowdy pub atmosphere?

B

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

kylemittskus

"We're back to our old tricks: This wine's only going to be around through Wednesday. Come back Thursday for a nice bottle of...wait, what the heck is that?" WHAT?!?! This is new right?

Edit: The thing says "...a nice bottle..." = part two of this week's offering is going to be a single bottle??

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
kylemittskus wrote:"We're back to our old tricks: This wine's only going to be around through Wednesday. Come back Thursday for a nice bottle of...wait, what the heck is that?" WHAT?!?! This is new right?

Edit: The thing says "...a nice bottle..." = part two of this week's offering is going to be a single bottle??

what the hey?!

more from Sourverain?? I must know!

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

kylemittskus

paryb wrote:what the hey?!

more from Sourverain?? I must know!

It's the chocolate covered bottle! Is it the chocolate covered bottle? Maybe it's the chocolate covered bottle!

WD!!! Do we get a clue?

Edit: Or Susan. Susan will tell us. Won't you Susan?

pmarin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmarin
kylemittskus wrote:It's the chocolate covered bottle! Is it the chocolate covered bottle? Maybe it's the chocolate covered bottle!

Chocolate covered bottle? It seems hard enough to ship wine in the summer temps -- I can't imagine what a chocolate-covered bottle would look like after a long trip across the country...

kylemittskus

pmarin wrote:Chocolate covered bottle? It seems hard enough to ship wine in the summer temps -- I can't imagine what a chocolate-covered bottle would look like after a long trip across the country...

We've been over this. They ship chocolate in the summer. This is the same thing. Only better because it has wine too!

speedoo

kylemittskus wrote:"We're back to our old tricks: This wine's only going to be around through Wednesday. Come back Thursday for a nice bottle of...wait, what the heck is that?" WHAT?!?! This is new right?

This is actually a potential problem for those of us who wanted to have the benefit of a full set of labrat reports before deciding whether or not to purchase the PN. Since the 04 labrat bottles were delayed, and since they constitute 2/3 of the offering.

Disappointing.

kylemittskus

speedoo wrote:This is actually a potential problem for those of us who wanted to have the benefit of a full set of labrat reports before deciding whether or not to purchase the PN. Since the 04 labrat bottles were delayed, and since they constitute 2/3 of the offering.

Disappointing.

Agreed. I am most likely going to go in sans 2/3 of the reports though. Less than $20 a bottle. But now I want to know what's up next!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

speedoo wrote:This is actually a potential problem for those of us who wanted to have the benefit of a full set of labrat reports before deciding whether or not to purchase the PN. Since the 04 labrat bottles were delayed, and since they constitute 2/3 of the offering.

Disappointing.

04 labrats arriving tomorrow. should taste tomorrow evening. next launch at midnight. some time to give a full assessment i'd think (i hope).

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Here's my first unofficial report (more details later).

Blind tasting was pulled off for the missus (virtually double-blind) and would have been for me as well if I hadn't been able to immediately tell which was which.

Notes later will likely be more meaningful; these are SWMBO's notes based on about 30 minutes of glass-decanting. Dinner was an Italian herb-dry rub grilled chicken with a mushroom marinara sauce and green salad.

Wine 1 was the woot.wine. She found it to be smoky and had a bit of a edge, able to discern the alcohol through the flavors.
Wine 2 was the Morgan which was fuller, smoother, and just a lot more fun to drink.

MSRP on the Morgan was around $28-$30, but somehow Costco sold it for under $18, putting it about on par with this week's offering.

Round 1 goes to the Morgan in the head-to-head. Both are in their respecitve corners decanting and waiting a more detailed tasting later tonight.

cooneym11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cooneym11

Come back Thursday for a nice bottle of...wait, what the heck is that?

Wait, what the heck is that? Suspect the next offering may not be wine, and with all the talk last week about beer, here is my long shot guess. Just released yesterday, so maybe a special price for us wooters?

http://www.stonebrew.com/12th/ale/

speedoo

Winedavid39 wrote:04 labrats arriving tomorrow. should taste tomorrow evening. next launch at midnight. some time to give a full assessment i'd think (i hope).

With all due respect, you are assuming that all the 04 labrat bottles will be delivered, sampled, and reported on the day they are supposed to be delivered.

I'm not aware that has ever happened.

iceeblue7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7

I really wanted to here from a couple of rats on this one before taking the plunge.

Oh well

On a related note I just want to go on the record as saying a lot of time a rat report will get me to push the button especially in the absence of the winemaker on hte boards. I have to say the Twisted Oak guy had a lot to do with that purchase. It was a labrat report on the TY Canton wine that lead me to my first woot and basically giving woot almost exclusive access to my disposable income. I even had to buy a wine rack and have started calling my basement a cellar to support this sickness.

Just wanted to applaud the labrat program for what it is worth.

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
speedoo wrote:With all due respect, you are assuming that all the 04 labrat bottles will be delivered, sampled, and reported on the day they are supposed to be delivered. I'm not aware that has ever happened.

In light of the complicated details of this week's labrattage ('age' pronounced as in dressage, s'il vous plait), maybe previous precedent can be suspended and pending labrats can be warned that they should swing by their UPS boxes, offices, or homes in order to increase the success rate of on time reporting? Just a thought. Not that I am hoping you’ll tell me I'm one or anything. Ummm, really. And the fancy horse talk and French were not designed to pander to the impression that I am a cultured woman and therefore worthy of rattage. To be clear, I'm not begging. Because we know C hates the labrat begging. And it's mote at this point anyway. So I'm not begging, more like just inquiring. Mostly because of the part about it being mote; I'm actually only marginally invested in how I make C feel. More invested in getting free wine. But that's just me. to the C-dog.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

kylemittskus

iceeblue7 wrote: I really wanted to here from a couple of rats on this one before taking the plunge.

Oh well

On a related note I just want to go on the record as saying a lot of time a rat report will get me to push the button especially in the absence of the winemaker on hte boards. I have to say the Twisted Oak guy had a lot to do with that purchase. It was a labrat report on the TY Canton wine that lead me to my first woot and basically giving woot almost exclusive access to my disposable income. I even had to buy a wine rack and have started calling my basement a cellar to support this sickness.

Just wanted to applaud the labrat program for what it is worth.

Same with me exactly. El Jefe from Twisted Oak pushed me over the edge for 2. This time, Corrado (as rat) may be saving me $57 this time around.

kylemittskus

cooneym11 wrote:Come back Thursday for a nice bottle of...wait, what the heck is that?

Wait, what the heck is that? Suspect the next offering may not be wine, and with all the talk last week about beer, here is my long shot guess. Just released yesterday, so maybe a special price for us wooters?

http://www.stonebrew.com/12th/ale/

I love chocolate stout! LOVE!!!

eric9tx

kylemittskus wrote:Same with me exactly. El Jefe from Twisted Oak pushed me over the edge for 2.

Ditto

213 wooted bottles

CT

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

For those who missed my earlier comments, I opened a bottle of what I believe to be the best sub-$30 QPR Pinot Noir I've had (2005 Morgan Twelve Clones). MSRP was around $28/bottle, but I tracked it down at Costco for $18. It's the lower tier of Pinot from a winery that produces several $50+ single-vineyard Pinots (some of that fruit ends up in the Twelve Clones).

I set this up as a single-blind pseudo-horizontal tasting. I marked the bottom of two identical brown beer bottles poured about half a bottle of the Morgan into one bottle and about half the bottle of the Chateau Souverain into the other. I had the missus mix up the bottles (she had no idea what I was doing) so I didn't know which was which and poured us each a glass of each wine (Spiegelau Vino Grande Burgundy for her, Riedel "O" Pinot Noir for me).

We each sampled our wines and reflected. For me, the "blind" element of the test was gone before I tasted. The Morgan's distinctive nose was easily identifyable in comparison. You can see my wife's comments above. I held my comments for a second tasting after the wines had been aired out for a few hours and dinner was gone from my palate.

Between beer bottles and wine glass, both wines were open for about 4h before *this* tasting commenced. I chilled both wines up a bit to allow this second tasting to occur as they warmed to room temp and sampled as they warmed from the low 50's to around 70F. Notes are posted in the order tasted/reviewed.

2005 Chateau Souverain Pinot Noir
Sonoma County

COLOR: 5/5 - Rhubarb/raspberry red, bright, and light-bodied
NOSE: 11/15 - Shizophrenic nose starts with pencil shavings and mesquite smoke as the dominant aromas with raspberry vodka and strawberry kool-aid playing hide & seek in the background.
FLAVOR: 6/10 - Entry is hot and tart with lots of minerality. Smokiness from the nose carries onto the palate with boysenberry in the background.
FINISH: 6/10 - Raspberry sour-patch kids; fairly short.
POTENTIAL: 4/5 - The potential is in the bottle for this to be a much better drink down the road than today. The fruit is there, but playing second fiddle to the structural components of wine. This drinks like an adolescent wine that will be quite a charmer when it emerges from its awkward years.
OVERALL: 3/5 - There are plenty of individual things to be excited about with this wine, but the players don't have a game plan and my overall impression is, "awkward." This wine sets itself apart from many of its $20ish peers by having character and potential and, once the rough edges smooth over, will be very presentable. Recommend cellaring for a bit longer; will likely be more of a food-wine than one you'll drink by itself. 85/100

2005 Morgan Twelve Clones Pinot Noir
Santa Lucia Highlands, Monterey

COLOR: 5/5 - Black-raspberry red, more opaque than translucent.
NOSE: 13/15 - Big cherry cola, leather, green veggies, and saltiness mark a gloriously pungent nose.
FLAVOR: 8/10 - Silky smooth entry, palate-coating leather, 'shroom, and cherry pipe smoke dominate.
FINISH: 7/10 - Cherry smoke lingers pleasantly on the finish with raspberry coming in toward the end.
POTENTIAL: 3/5 - While there's been some evolution of this wine over the past year, it doesn't show signs of growing long in the tooth and should hold well in a cellar for several more years.
OVERALL: 4/5 - In the world of sub $30 Pinot, I haven't found an equal. It has a wonderful mix of earth and fruit and complexity that is often lacking in (overpriced) $40+ Pinots. Flexible drinkability in that it the has the stones to be a great drink-alone wine, but isn't so in-your-face that it can't be a wonderful accompaniment to a meal. 90/100

While not the extent as the Distinguished Gentleman from Fu, I think I'm pretty fussy when it comes to Pinot Noir to the point where I rarely buy it any more and find myself frequently disappointed, regardless of how much I spend. For that reason I have a tough time spending more than $30 on a bottle. Catch-22, eh?

As much as I panned the CS in comparison to the Morgan (sorry, WD, Susan, Ed), it's still one of the better PN's I've had this year and, unlike most of the sub-$20 stuff, there's actually something there worth waiting for.

The simple truth is that the style of the Morgan is more my speed for Pinot (more funk, less smoke). This would be a great addition to a cellar and would be a teriffic wine to use as a participant in a $15-$25 Pinot Noir tasting party where it would likely stand out from its peers. I was in for 2 for myself and I don't regret the decision.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Corrado wrote:*snip lengthy rattage*

You've been packed. Thanks for the report!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"