Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:is this for their tasting rooms? to pour beer, or wine?

I've always wondered how those bottle dispensers worked. Seems like as the bottle emptied, you'd get increasingly carbonated wine. Even a little bit of forced carbonation will alter the drinking experience.

edit: guess I need to learn to type faster:

PrezRed wrote:CT and I were talking about beer kegs, but Monticello is involved in a couple of wine-by-the-glass programs in Atlanta and in Napa where we ship the restaurants either 15-gal or 5-gal kegs for them to pour wines by the glass. With a good inert gas tap system, it's a pretty effective way to keep the wine fresh for WBTG, and also keeps our packagin costs to a minimum. They ship the empty kegs back to us for cleaning and refilling when necessary ...

Cheers,
Chris
Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tommythecat78 wrote:What cubs-sox series? I don't know what you are talking about. I thought both teams were off this past weekened.

Just the Cubbies. The White Sox swept them in their series.

Edit: Got my Corison and Donati White tracking numbers late yesterday. They will be here tomorrow!!! YEA! But they don't show on my Account info page. Still, YEA!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

hardground wrote:I was caught off guard last week. Will there be a new deal on Thursday?

They haven't changed the main Wine.Woot page yet, so it doesn't look like it. Sometime after the first day, they changed the main page to indicate there would be a new wine on Thursday. I think there was some mention of it in the main thread when it was noticed (Tuesday sometime, I think).

So keep your eye on the main page to see if they add anything.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

darisgin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darisgin
Corrado wrote:I win @ the internetz!

Wow: no WONDER I like this place--I have been resonating with puffy, pasty-faced computer guyz... 'splains A LOT!

Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio; Woot Cellars Polyphemus Magnum; Woot Cellars Humbug; Wellington Vineyards Reserve Duo, three pack, three pack + mystery; Peltier Station Lodi Petite Sirah; Ty Caton Three-Pack Sampler; Dry Creek Two-Pack Reds

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

Bookmarked for the next time someone asks! Nice work!

CT | | | | | |

PrezRed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PrezRed
Corrado wrote:

If the dispenser is using CO2, you're right it will eventually dissolve into the wine, and a still wine could become a little "frizzante". Typically, for wine systems - they'll use argon or nitrogen or a mixture of the two to avoid this. Argon, although more expensive is the better of the two gases in my opinion for this type of system ...

Cheers,
Chris

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me ..."
- Thomas Jefferson

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
darisgin wrote:Wow: no WONDER I like this place--I have been resonating with puffy, pasty-faced computer guyz... 'splains A LOT!

So then I take it you saw the pic of me WD posted last week.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

Corison on the way, and it's cool (....er) today! Perfect!!!

CT

bkarney

Any word from the Labrats on this one?

CT

MarkDaSpark

bkarney wrote:Any word from the Labrats on this one?

Not yet, but we should hear the "Glory Be's" anytime now from some or all of them.

favrerocks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages favrerocks

I received my labrat bottle today, and will have a review up later tonight. I could drink while working (as I work from home), but that would be bad. Bad, I say.

Random Crap x3
Norman, Monticello (rat), Cavedoni (bv), Chase (x3), Benson (x3) and much more to come

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
PrezRed wrote:Even with those handy cupholders at AT&T Park, I was having a hard time putting my beer down! You know the saying, "It takes a lot of good beer to make great wine" - I'm trying to get a headstart on this harvest ! Bummer the Giants lost ...

Cheers,
Chris

strictly a matter of perspective.

though regardless of the (favorable) outcome, i would have loved to have joined you: AT&T is one of the nicer "newer" parks out there that i have experienced (IMVLE that is)!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

themostrighteous

jwhite6114 wrote:That might be enough to get TMR to buy this week -- he's still reeling from the Cubs series vs. the Chi-Sox.

i don't mix wine w/ baseball - strictly a beer-only sport for me! but i do wait for the brats' reports on this one w/ bated breath...

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, a new law went in to effect in Georgia today which allows mail order delivery of wine to private citizens in the state of Georgia.

Woot can now add Georgia to the list of states that they can deliver to - well, as soon as they obtain the proper licenses from the State of Georgia, anyway.

Reference: Georgia SB208, and O.C.G.A 10-15-5

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
bhodilee wrote:So then I take it you saw the pic of me WD posted last week.

It was like looking in a mirror.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bkarney

sdownin wrote:In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, a new law went in to effect in Georgia today which allows mail order delivery of wine to private citizens in the state of Georgia.

Woot can now add Georgia to the list of states that they can deliver to, well, as soon as they obtain the proper licenses from the State of Georgia.

Refernce: Georgia SB208, and O.C.G.A 10-15-5

I think that's new, good looking out!

CT

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
PrezRed wrote:If the dispenser is using CO2, you're right it will eventually dissolve into the wine, and a still wine could become a little "frizzante". Typically, for wine systems - they'll use argon or nitrogen or a mixture of the two to avoid this. Argon, although more expensive is the better of the two gases in my opinion for this type of system ...

Cheers,
Chris

I am presuming the nitrogen systems are quite different from those used for Guinness kegs, correct?

CTmasterblender

quality posts: 16 Private Messages CTmasterblender
themostrighteous wrote:strictly a matter of perspective.

though regardless of the (favorable) outcome, i would have loved to have joined you: AT&T is one of the nicer "newer" parks out there that i have experienced (IMVLE that is)!

Dido - Great park for a day or night game - not many better "new parks" out there

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 29 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
sdownin wrote:In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, a new law went in to effect in Georgia today which allows mail order delivery of wine to private citizens in the state of Georgia.

Woot can now add Georgia to the list of states that they can deliver to, well, as soon as they obtain the proper licenses from the State of Georgia.

Refernce: Georgia SB208, and O.C.G.A 10-15-5

However, don't get too excited too soon, because it's not woot that gets the license, it's each individual winery, so there will still be variations in availability, just as there have been for a number of other states already.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 29 Private Messages DonaldWilliams

This was a very informative and entertaining reference, but I'm unclear as to whether it was actually what you had been looking for. What I had in mind was a question that would have been in one of the weekly threads about a bottle that apparently had been photoshopped to show the vintage date of the current offering; someone noticed that the reflection on the bottle was identical to the one on the bottle from a different year. A bit of discussion ensued about how they do their photography. Finding that would be pretty much like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I might be obsessive enough if I found a few hours of idle time.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Winedavid39

quality posts: 202 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

DonaldWilliams wrote:However, don't get too excited too soon, because it's not woot that gets the license, it's each individual winery, so there will still be variations in availability, just as there have been for a number of other states already.

True, but wineries will be motivated to get permitted. it's a great state. As time goes by, more wineries will have GA in the mix. Very good news.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

SmilingBoognish wrote:I am presuming the nitrogen systems are quite different from those used for Guiness kegs, correct?

That was going to be my follow-up question. I've contemplated buying a couple of bottles of cheap sparkling wine, dumping it into a 3 gallon keg, and serving it on tap out of my Uberbrau beer fridge.

(BTW, there are two Ns in Guinness)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
DonaldWilliams wrote:This was a very informative and entertaining reference, but I'm unclear as to whether it was actually what you had been looking for. What I had in mind was a question that would have been in one of the weekly threads about a bottle that apparently had been photoshopped to show the vintage date of the current offering; someone noticed that the reflection on the bottle was identical to the one on the bottle from a different year. A bit of discussion ensued about how they do their photography. Finding that would be pretty much like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I might be obsessive enough if I found a few hours of idle time.

That was the Ty Caton offering of not too long ago, when woot ran out of the 2004 vintage and replaced it on Tuesday with the 2006.

Edit: Now I win @ the internetz!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
cheron98 wrote:That was the Ty Caton offering of not too long ago, when woot ran out of the 2004 vintage and replaced it on Tuesday with the 2006.

There's a winning on the internet/special olympics joke which is utterly insensitive but not totally without merit.

signed.

bkarney

canonizer wrote:There's a winning on the internet/special olympics joke which is utterly insensitive but not totally without merit.

Ha, and I thought it was a rip on Bush with his "check The Google" on "the internetS" ..... but would you care to share, kinda bored over here! Maybe in a PM.....??

CT

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:That was the Ty Caton offering of not too long ago, when woot ran out of the 2004 vintage and replaced it on Tuesday with the 2006.

Ah, I was traveling that week & missed all that fun. Clearly a photoshop (and pretty well done).

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Ty_Caton_Three-Pack_Sampler_-_UPDATED4zaDetail.jpg
vs. http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Ty_Caton_Three-Pack_Samplerp8zDetail.jpg

Toggle back & forth between the two images and the only thing that 'moves' is the 4 & 6.

cheron98

bkarney wrote:Ha, and I thought it was a rip on Bush with his "check The Google" on "the internetS" ..... but would you care to share, kinda bored over here! Maybe in a PM.....??

Yeah, I was just ripping on our beloved Corrado and his statement of win

Khrisward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Khrisward
canonizer wrote:Did your friend buy it for less than retail or less than this price? If so, what year? Did he perhaps find a close out. As I mentioned in another thread, I've been 'studying' this month's Beverage Media and many of the deals we see on woot are closing in on the price wine stores pay.

I just got his reply via e-mail...he paid $14.99 a bottle retail for the 2005 at a store in the East Bay (he keeps all his receipts). So at $22.49 a bottle shipped; wine.woot is significantly more. Then again if you don't live or travel to the East Bay frequently, wine.woot may be your only way to get some.

As an addendum: I disagree with your comment about wine.woot nearing the gap on the prices wine stores pay...I work in wine sales with restaurants and retail outlets and though wine.woot may be cheaper than what some stores sell at retail, it's a far cry from cost.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
MarkDaSpark wrote:Just the Cubbies. The White Sox swept them in their series.

Thats just harsh dude.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Khrisward wrote:I just got his reply via e-mail...he paid $14.99 a bottle retail for the 2005 at a store in the East Bay (he keeps all his receipts). So at $22.49 a bottle shipped; wine.woot is significantly more. Then again if you don't live or travel to the East Bay frequently, wine.woot may be your only way to get some.

As an addendum: I disagree with your comment about wine.woot nearing the gap on the prices wine stores pay...I work in wine sales with restaurants and retail outlets and though wine.woot may be cheaper than what some stores sell at retail, it's a far cry from cost.

Half the price of MSRP would be quite a deal on just about any wine.

I believe SB said once "If you can find my wine that cheap, buy it!"

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

favrerocks

Labratting the 2005 Monticello Vineyards Presidential Red – by Scott Candage (“favrerocks”)

Just a bit of info about myself. I wouldn’t consider myself a wine expert like many of you here, or even close to anyone here. I’ve always enjoyed wine but only recently have I wanted to become serious about it. I’ve seen the blend information on this wine, and I do like Merlot and Syrah (don’t think I’ve ever had a Cab Franc), so I do expect to like this wine. My review might not be as detailed as other’s reviews might be, but a rookie’s perspective still has value (I hope).

So, some detail. I chilled this wine in my refrigerator all day then poured it over ice and gulped some down, very nice! KIDDING!!!! Per WD’s advice, splash decanted and waited for about an hour before trying. Very deep red, almost blood red color, very even color. The first thing I noticed on decanting was the tremendous fruit scent of the wine (the nose, I believe I’ve seen you all call it). I can still smell a little bit of the alcohol through the wine even after almost an hour of decanting, but I’m sure this will dissipate as the night wears on.

First impression of my first glass, without food – I’m quite surprised that the very fruity nose doesn’t turn into a massive fruit taste. It’s a very smooth wine, seems very balanced to me. The alcohol blends well in this wine, it’s not overbearing at all, but it is definitely there. I don’t find it too heavy of a wine on my tongue, nor too light. There’s quite a few different flavors going on, but even though I had read some of the reviews, I’m not going to pretend that, at this moment in my wine-drinking experience, I can tell the difference between different notes in the wine (or any wine). I didn’t want to use my labratting experience as a way to claim something I don’t know, nor did I want to merely repeat what others have said. However, I am enjoying the nice balance and taste of this wine. I’m betting this wine would go well with stronger cheeses but might overpower milder ones.

Second glass – with food (1:30 post-decanting). I saw that Chris Corley recommended that the Presidential Red went well with spicy Asian food. Unfortunately, I live in the Middle of Nowhere, North Dakota, and such wonderful cuisine is really nowhere to be found for me. So, when in doubt, I go to the best butcher I’ve ever been to (Walt’s Meat Market, Williston, North Dakota – “No one can beat our meat”) and get myself a nice rib-eye steak (prepared pepper-encrusted, garlic mashed on the side). With more time in the decanter, the wine gets more complex, and more flavors I can’t yet identify are definitely present (I know most of you are rolling your eyes, but this is a new experience for me – this is actually the first time I’ve ever used a decanter for wine, I just never knew). What I can say is that these new flavors are deeper and different than the more fruity flavors I experienced before. This wine goes just ok with the steak; its complex flavors are kind of overpowering the steak. I now see how this would go well with spicier food. But, that’s my problem, not yours. It’s not horrible with the steak, but I wouldn’t call it ideal either. I’m still enjoying it though. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to finish my dinner and my second glass of this very nice wine.

Did you miss me, I’m back. Third glass – with baseball – my beloved Boston Red Sox vs. the Tampa Bay Rays on MLB.tv (2-1 Rays, middle of the 5th) (2:00 post decanting). The alcohol scent isn’t really dissipating by now (I thought it might have by now), but is not overpowering. However, this seems to be a pretty high alcohol content wine, as I’m definitely feeling it after only two smallish glasses (for me, I bet they would be pretty average-sized glasses for most experienced wine fans here). The flavors are deeper and more complex, and are separating for me. If I were more experienced I might be able to identify the individual flavors, but I’ll save that more experienced labrats. But I am enjoying the flavors that I am tasting.

Final verdict – I really enjoy the 2005 Monticello Vineyards Presidential Red. A lot. If one were to bring a bottle or two of this wine to a dinner party where they were serving strongly flavored food, one would be the hit of the party and would be well remembered by the hosts of the party. I’ll try to find stronger flavored foods to pair this wine with when I get the full order. However, I would recommend this wine to anyone. It’s very flavorful, complex, and accessible to both wine veterans and rookies like me.

Random Crap x3
Norman, Monticello (rat), Cavedoni (bv), Chase (x3), Benson (x3) and much more to come

themostrighteous

favrerocks wrote:Labratting the 2005 Monticello Vineyards Presidential Red – by Scott Candage (“favrerocks”)

rookie?!? a most excellent review indeed. you have done the LaBrat tradition proud!

that you appreciate the other finer things in life - baseball & steak - is just the icing!!!

free2day33611

quality posts: 2 Private Messages free2day33611

Very good review. i know it lacks some in-depth review, but you made a great effort for a relatively new person to wine. So thanks for making the effort.

I take one exception. i sit here in Tampa Fl. watching my Devil Rays. How could anyone not enjoy what they have done.

What a play in the top of the seventh!

cidiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cidiel

Very happy that i ordered this wine... but it could easily sit for another 5+ years and still taste young. Napa had a killer year in 2005 and IMO this wine will not disappoint, this is for wine drinkers looking for a rich wine that can take some heavy foods with heat. The initial nose/flavors of the wine are solid blackberry and very strong tannins, you definitely need to let this decant for a bit before serving. After a hour or three the wine really begins to open up and show itself, as I said very rich and alcohol taste levels are high and hot. The wine will certainly be able to handle any big foods that you throw at it and I would recommend something smokey and spicy off the grill to really make the wine shine. A great wine for this summer bbq's but will easily store for several years to come. Enjoy!!

favrerocks

Just a quick additional note - with the Labrat shipment came a nice corkscrew with the Corley family and Monticello Vineyard name on it. I thought that was a very nice touch and was much appreciated.

Random Crap x3

PrezRed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PrezRed
favrerocks wrote:Labratting the 2005 Monticello Vineyards Presidential Red – by Scott Candage (“favrerocks”)

... when in doubt, I go to the best butcher I’ve ever been to (Walt’s Meat Market, Williston, North Dakota – “No one can beat our meat”) and get myself a nice rib-eye steak (prepared pepper-encrusted, garlic mashed on the side) ...

Scott, I'm salivating thinking about the rib-eye you describe. I've got a great 100% Cab Sauv from our State Lane Vineyard in Yountville that may be a good match for that cut ... Enjoy the corkscrew !

Cheers,
Chris

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me ..."
- Thomas Jefferson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Only 2 labrats?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cheron98

kylemittskus wrote:Only 2 labrats?

Trend has been 2 rats per type of bottle of wine in the offering. Since this is an offering of 2 identical wines, I think we can expect to only see 2 rats

And you've been packed, favrerocks and cidiel. Thanks for the reviews!!

sweetypuss

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sweetypuss
Loweeel wrote:PS = very high . Nice small berries and lots of tannins = super healthy.

Why am I not surprised by your response, Loweeel?

Thanks to everyone for your input re: my husband's heart condition and red wine...sounds like I really can't go wrong. It's good to know that we aren't limited, except by common sense, aka moderation.

Now that the labrats have checked in, I think I be in for 3. Kudos to the greenhorn (favrerocks) for braving a report...you did a great job! I am still new to this "winesnobbery", as my friends call it, and I do not have the guts to be a labrat at this point in time.

In the meantime, my Mastercard says thanks for the workout, and see you soon.

sweetypuss

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sweetypuss

Wow...I've never gotten to see my name in lights before...

Monticello Presidential Red - Two Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 40.983s

Last wooter to woot: sweetypuss

That's all. Back to your regularly scheduled wooting.