bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
canonizer wrote:I was going to make a joke about her being cheap, in a good way, but I'm not quite sure this opportune.

Does she read the forum? If she does, I can tell you from personal experience you should not make that joke.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
bhodilee wrote:Does she read the forum? If she does, I can tell you from personal experience you should not make that joke.

Oh she'd be the first to appreciate it normally. I actually feel bad making it because she wouldn't have a chance to read it.

signed.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
DonaldWilliams wrote:Indeed! To quote the late Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes: "No generalization is worth a damn, including this one."

He also said "three generations of imbeciles is enough" in an opinion upholding the constitutionality of forced sterilization. Good quote, bad result.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

bhodilee

canonizer wrote:Oh she'd be the first to appreciate it normally. I actually feel bad making it because she wouldn't have a chance to read it.

Than you should make the joke, cause I'm BORED. Literally half my office went trap shooting today. I've mentioned I work in a hick town right?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

Loweeel wrote:He also said "three generations of imbeciles is enough" in an opinion upholding the constitutionality of forced sterilization. Good quote, bad result.

He'd like the movie Idiocracy, you should have him over for a screening.

Yes I'm going to mention that movie until you all watch it.

dfvlee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfvlee
ptoledo wrote:man...I LOVE Specs...

Me, too. I shipped some of our last of the last 2003 Cab to Texas before our price increase at the beginning of 08. Texas bought deep and it's cheaper than the winery by about $8 per bottle since the 03 is now a library wine.

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

opened bottle of penfold kalimna 01 shiraz last night, needs at least an hour to decant, tannins are still very strong, winetracker drink window 05-014....soooo this one needs to sit for some more time........not very good at describing tastes, so i will just say that it started out smelling musky and tasted flat and bold........after one hour it really started to open up a bit.........found lots of sediment in my glass though........should i be alarmed or just filter the carp? please advise

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
fairnymph wrote:Wine is too important, too daily, and too difficult to finish a bottle of alone.

Where does the difficulty come in for you?

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

canonizer

bhodilee wrote:Than you should make the joke, cause I'm BORED. Literally half my office went trap shooting today. I've mentioned I work in a hick town right?

Well, the whole point was that I made the joke from the get-go.

What the hell is trap shooting? F'ing Nebraskans...

signed.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:As a disembodied head? I forgot to mention to everyone that us Nebraskans have evolved past the need for bodies. We are FUTURAMA! Was it that dark in there? And could I have a bigger homer smile, my god I hate cameras

Nope, just someone with Crazy Eyes!!!

And now WD had to go and fix it ...... darn it ..... Now you just look like Corrado's description.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

canonizer wrote:Well, the whole point was that I made the joke from the get-go.

We lure morons into traps and shoot them, pretty fun actually

Edit: If only this were true

bhodilee

canonizer wrote:Well, the whole point was that I made the joke from the get-go.

It's basically skeet shooting (clay pigeons) but the pigeon is shot in low arc to the ground so it's more like pheasant hunting. I don't hunt and I hate the Huskers. I am an atypical Nebraskan.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:We lure morons into traps and shoot them, pretty fun actually

Edit: If only this were true

Dang it! Now I have to go look it up. I know Skeet is with the High House and the Low house and about 8 - 10 stations.

Wine ..... since we seem to have hijacked the thread .....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Nope, just someone with Crazy Eyes!!!

And now WD had to go and fix it ...... darn it ..... Now you just look like Corrado's description.

I was at the end of the bar and I have personal space issues, so I don't generally crowd into pictures. Especially if I don't know the people that well.

do my eyes really look crazy? That's awesome. I do know I possess a look that will make even very large people take two steps back and stop doing whatever it was they were doing that pissed me off.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Dang it! Now I have to go look it up. I know Skeet is with the High House and the Low house and about 8 - 10 stations.

You are right, let's move all talk of my crazy eyes and penchant for shooting things to the pub.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
bhodilee wrote:As a disembodied head? I forgot to mention to everyone that us Nebraskans have evolved past the need for bodies. We are FUTURAMA! Was it that dark in there? And could I have a bigger homer smile, my god I hate cameras

Could have been a better photo, but at least we got one. I wasn't sure those Georgia fans were going to be nice to us and take the photo, since you know, we CRUSHED them. For the record, the photo is fairly favorable of me, so that's why I used that one .

Thanks for the nice reports about our visit. We didn't get to do much on Thursday 'cause we were exhausted. Celebrating a National Championship is hard work, but someone has to do it.

boaz38

boaz38 wrote:opened bottle of penfold kalimna 01 shiraz last night, needs at least an hour to decant, tannins are still very strong, winetracker drink window 05-014....soooo this one needs to sit for some more time........not very good at describing tastes, so i will just say that it started out smelling musky and tasted flat and bold........after one hour it really started to open up a bit.........found lots of sediment in my glass though........should i be alarmed or just filter the carp? please advise

bueller?

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
boaz38 wrote:bueller?

Not alarmed... common with some of the more tannic and potentially ageable wines... just filter or decant... if you decant you should be able to leave most of the sediment on the bottom of the decanter...

Need a quality, reasonably priced decanter??

bhodilee

winefarm wrote:Could have been a better photo, but at least we got one. I wasn't sure those Georgia fans were going to be nice to us and take the photo, since you know, we CRUSHED them. For the record, the photo is fairly favorable of me, so that's why I used that one .

Thanks for the nice reports about our visit. We didn't get to do much on Thursday 'cause we were exhausted. Celebrating a National Championship is hard work, but someone has to do it.

Did you at least get to a kick ass steakhouse? I'm sure you realized by seeing the average Nebraskan we know how to eat. Those last Georgia fans were pretty cool, though when you asked them if they were drinking away their sorrows I thought you were gonna get us in a fight. Too funny. At the end they had to bring up the bat thing though, sad. Oh well, you can't ship to Georgia yet anyway so heck with em.

Don't worry about the photo, I have never seen one that was 'favorable' towards me so no worries.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
fairnymph wrote:Find a new girl.

I never went on a second date with a guy I discovered DIDN'T LIKE WINE. AT ALL. Wine is too important, too daily, and too difficult to finish a bottle of alone.

Need some help!? Always willing to help out, don't want the remainder to go bad right......

CT

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
MarkDaSpark wrote:

OK, speaking of wine...I am so eagerly anticipating the arrival of both the Saxon Brown and Mumm shipments, so when I heard the bell I flew to the door. Sure enough, there stood the FedEx man with a box. But only one, so as I was signing for it, I asked if he was absolutely, positively sure there was not a second box on the truck. He looked at me and shook his head.

Dang! As I shut the door my heart sank, knowing that somehow the day would end with me making a trip to the UPS center to pick up my missing case of Mumm. But wait a minute...hadn't I ordered 2 Saxon Brown sets? This box was pretty light, more like one bottle than two. [The thought gave a kick-start to the mental gerbil wheel, which began to spin faster]. And that was the FED EX, guy...doesn't my wine usually come by UPS?

My heart skipped a beat. I ripped open the box to see the flash of golden ticket ---

LAB RAT! LAB RAT! The Pinot Grigio is mine!

And suddenly, the week got a whole lot better. I had planned for weeks to take last Monday off to celebrate my birthday. But an emergency work project kept me chained to my desk instead. On Tuesday, too. And Wednesday.

Suddenly, all became a distant memory. Thanks, WineDavid!

The wine is chilling.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
kkv123 wrote:OK, speaking of wine...I am so eagerly anticipating the arrival of both the Saxon Brown and Mumm shipments, so when I heard the bell I flew to the door. Sure enough, there stood the FedEx man with a box. But only one, so as I was signing for it, I asked if he was absolutely, positively sure there was not a second box on the truck. He looked at me and shook his head.

Dang! As I shut the door my heart sank, knowing that somehow the day would end with me making a trip to the UPS center to pick up my missing case of Mumm. But wait a minute...hadn't I ordered 2 Saxon Brown sets? This box was pretty light, more like one bottle than two. [The thought gave a kick-start to the mental gerbil wheel, which began to spin faster]. And that was the FED EX, guy...doesn't my wine usually come by UPS?

My heart skipped a beat. I ripped open the box to see the flash of golden ticket ---

And suddenly, the week got a whole lot better. I had planned for weeks to take last Monday off to celebrate my birthday. But an emergency work project kept me chained to my desk instead. On Tuesday, too. And Wednesday.

Suddenly, all became a distant memory. Thanks, WineDavid!

The wine is chilling.

CONGRATS! I'm anxious to hear how it is.... I'm especially looking forward to the Pinot Blanc though!

CT

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
bhodilee wrote:He'd like the movie Idiocracy, you should have him over for a screening.

Yes I'm going to mention that movie until you all watch it.

We rented it, and loved it so much we bought a copy when a video store was closing down nearby. It's got electrolytes!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bhodilee

coynedj wrote:We rented it, and loved it so much we bought a copy when a video store was closing down nearby. It's got electrolytes!

Every single time I read one of your posts I read your name as conjoined. It's absolutely not spelled that way, but it happens every time.

BRAWNDO!

boaz38

barrymccochener wrote:Not alarmed... common with some of the more tannic and potentially ageable wines... just filter or decant... if you decant you should be able to leave most of the sediment on the bottom of the decanter...

thank you for the info..........good day!

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
kkv123 wrote:

The wine is chilling.

Congrats! Now, if I could also get super lucky today, too? The kiddos are of to Grandma's house tonight, and we could enjoy a nice PB or chardonnay tonight without the extra excitement!

KurtBiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KurtBiz
barrymccochener wrote:Not alarmed... common with some of the more tannic and potentially ageable wines... just filter or decant... if you decant you should be able to leave most of the sediment on the bottom of the decanter...

To Decant, or not to Decant? I'm a novice drinker and am wondering whether to purchase and begin using one.

bhodilee

KurtBiz wrote:To Decant, or not to Decant? I'm a novice drinker and am wondering whether to purchase and begin using one.

I have one of these and they're quite well made, but I only decant if I'm having company over. Otherwise I just pour a glass and let it sit and taste it over the course of the night. I leave the bottle open, which does the same as decanting just way slower and by the end of the night it's usually pretty good.

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
KurtBiz wrote:To Decant, or not to Decant? I'm a novice drinker and am wondering whether to purchase and begin using one.

I think there's really only one huge reason to get a decanter: Will you (and your companions) finish the bottle, or at least most of the bottle, in one night? If so, then a decanter would greatly facilitate opening up your wine, speeding the process along, and providing a beautiful thing to look at. If not, then as Bhod said you might as well allow the wine to open in the bottle (takes longer) or in your glass (like a decanter, but on a smaller scale).

The main thing is that most reds deserve/require some time in the open air to "open up". However you accomplish this is up to you, but you're selling yourself short if you pour a nice red (Cab, Pinot, Syrah, PS, Temp, etc.) and don't give it time to open.

schuey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages schuey
bhodilee wrote:BRAWNDO!

House of Representin. Gentlemen Lattes.

Great stuff in Idiocracy. I work for the Department of the Interior, which made it extra special.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
barrymccochener wrote:I think there's really only one huge reason to get a decanter: Will you (and your companions) finish the bottle, or at least most of the bottle, in one night? If so, then a decanter would greatly facilitate opening up your wine, speeding the process along, and providing a beautiful thing to look at. If not, then as Bhod said you might as well allow the wine to open in the bottle (takes longer) or in your glass (like a decanter, but on a smaller scale).

The main thing is that most reds deserve/require some time in the open air to "open up". However you accomplish this is up to you, but you're selling yourself short if you pour a nice red (Cab, Pinot, Syrah, PS, Temp, etc.) and don't give it time to open.

I finally bought a decanter after deciding to try PS's. Grabbed a bottle of Bogle and EOS since they were both supposed to be decent and cheap. Opened the EOS and tried to let it breathe just in the bottle and glass. Like four hours later it still really hadn't opened much, and I ordered a decanter off woot :P

Idiocracy was okay, but the premise behind it was brilliant.

CT

javadrinker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages javadrinker
bhodilee wrote:... my god I hate cameras

I didn't before...I do now...

And man WD was fast to get the championship T-shirt...I'm thinking $5 back of someone's trunk special.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

javadrinker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages javadrinker
boaz38 wrote:thank you for the info..........good day!

As other's have mentioned, a decanter is a good way to avoid sediment. Sediment isn't anything to be afeared. All wine would normally have sediment but most wineries go through several processes to eliminate that sediment specifically because it freaks consumers out. Others don't because the winemaker feels it interferes with or changes the flavor of the wine. Go back and look at some of the Wellington offerings where you'll see a lot of discussion on the subject. Also, if you know a wine is unfiltered/unfined and you don't have a decanter, just stand the bottle upright the day before you plan on drinking it. All of the sediment should fall to the bottom and then just be careful when pouring off the last few glasses from the bottle.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

GvnMcCld

quality posts: 6 Private Messages GvnMcCld
bhodilee wrote:BRAWNDO!

Brawndo, it has what plants need. It has electrolytes!

boaz38

javadrinker wrote:As other's have mentioned, a decanter is a good way to avoid sediment. Sediment isn't anything to be afeared. All wine would normally have sediment but most wineries go through several processes to eliminate that sediment specifically because it freaks consumers out. Others don't because the winemaker feels it interferes with or changes the flavor of the wine. Go back and look at some of the Wellington offerings where you'll see a lot of discussion on the subject. Also, if you know a wine is unfiltered/unfined and you don't have a decanter, just stand the bottle upright the day before you plan on drinking it. All of the sediment should fall to the bottom and then just be careful when pouring off the last few glasses from the bottle.

thank you for the information......

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
auggie24 wrote:Congrats! Now, if I could also get super lucky today, too? The kiddos are of to Grandma's house tonight, and we could enjoy a nice PB or chardonnay tonight without the extra excitement!

So, WD must be psychic. For one night, after the kiddos are gone, my wife and I get to go all albino and join the rodentia family!

Yup, we're LABRATS!!!!!

I had just returned home from lunch with the wife. I was returning to perusing w.w and s.w posts, wearing a s.w and playing a little Civ III on my day off, when I hear that unmistakable combination of a diesel engine rumble and squeaking brakes outside my window. It HAS to be a delivery truck!

A smile erupted on my face before I even peeked out the window - I have no packages expected for today. So it could only be one thing. I peered out my picture window (which reminds me of how badly I need to wash it), and saw the fed-ex delivery person.

I rushed down through the split entry, out the front door, and start doing the white-boy happy dance as she brought over the little treasure chest. I then sing-sang 'I'm gonna drink a little wine tonight!' as she walked through the front yard with the treasure. For some reason she then quickly almost threw the box at me, had me sign the pad, and practically ran back to the truck. Think I scared her?

I ran upstairs with the box, and ripped it open to find the Pinot Blanc.

My wife took a little while to get excited when I called her (I hadn't told her I bought a wine taste untasted yesterday), but she shared in the enthusiasm when I mentioned that we had a serious duty to this community to report back tonight. We may be unsophisticates, but we're not uncouth.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to get to know the inner rodent, and we'll try our darnedest to give a coherent report later tonight.

cinderella1

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cinderella1

This just became a Very Happy Friday! Got my Mumm woot, yay! Has anyone
else had a chance to try them yet? Gonna chill one now...hmmmmm...which Mumm?

You crack me up.
Of course I crack me up on a regular basis.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
javadrinker wrote:As other's have mentioned, a decanter is a good way to avoid sediment. Sediment isn't anything to be afeared. All wine would normally have sediment but most wineries go through several processes to eliminate that sediment specifically because it freaks consumers out. Others don't because the winemaker feels it interferes with or changes the flavor of the wine. Go back and look at some of the Wellington offerings where you'll see a lot of discussion on the subject. Also, if you know a wine is unfiltered/unfined and you don't have a decanter, just stand the bottle upright the day before you plan on drinking it. All of the sediment should fall to the bottom and then just be careful when pouring off the last few glasses from the bottle.

I like wines with sediment. I like the texture of it and I think it adds a little to the wine. Weird?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

canonizer

kylemittskus wrote:I like wines with sediment. I like the texture of it and I think it adds a little to the wine. Weird?

depends on the amount of sediment, i suppose.

signed.

mketner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mketner

Just got home from work today and see that I am chosen to be the guinea pig (wine reviewer). My first time, and I couldn't have had a better present for a Friday after a long work week.

So on the the review:
I received a Donati Family Vineyards 2005 Chardonnay, from Palcines San Benito County. It looks like a typical Chardonnay and has 14.1 % alcohol by volume (also good for a Friday after work). After a quick turbo chill in a container of ice and water we crack open the bottle. It should be noted that I am a red wine type of guy and generally drink the dryer ones. I ordered 2 of this set mostly for my wife.

All that being said, this is probably one of the best chardonnays that I have ever had. If you are looking for a sweeter taste they you should look elsewhere. This chardonnay has all the really good character of the grape and very little of the residual sugars that I feel kill most whites. This chardonnay has not gone too far down the other side of the spectrum however. By this I mean it is by no means a 'dry' wine, or bitter at all. It strikes a very good balance right in the middle. I don't taste any of the barrel which will have pluses and minuses for some of you. Perhaps it would be perfect after another year or so in the bottle in which the flavor would have blended more.

All in all I have no complaints about this wine, and in fact I am recommending it to those guys who normally can't take the white wines. This is a wine that the ladies and gentlemen should both enjoy and it is really nice, chilled, on a 90+ degree Friday afternoon.

Thanks Woot for the opportunity and I am going to go and enjoy the rest of this wine.

50+ Woots and Counting