$41.99 + $7.00 shipping
condition:
Red
products:
1 2004 Sorelle Per Sempre
1 2004 Merlot
1 2005 Claret

Links above are to CellarTracker.

How many vineyards make both a Claret and a Meritage?

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

Why always pack a merlot in?
I also wonder how these fare compared to the first offering (which i was a labrat for! inaugural labrat!). The alcohol levels seem to be a bit lower than the previous offering.. which were alcohol oak beasts

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

Such tenacity! WTG Mill!

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

Cesare

quality posts: 1588 Private Messages Cesare

I was right! Labrat for guessing correctly? But damn, mill beat us all again.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cajuncyclr01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cajuncyclr01

WOOHOO, Finally one that will ship to NJ!
Going to bed for now until I see some reviews or more info. If it's half decent I'm in for 1!

I WOOT. What else do you need to know?

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah
clayfu wrote:Why always pack a merlot in? I also wonder how these fare compared to the first offering (which i was a labrat for! inaugural labrat!)

Ditto. I thought that the merlot was the best wine of the 3 from the first batch. It has turned out to be one of the merlots I liked best.

My October labratting of the '04 merlot... and my all-too-obvious secret identity is revealed!!! (yeah, like anybody was fooled)

on the other hand, I was decidedly unimpressed by the Meritage and the CS. Hopefully the Claret and the new one are better. But we'll see, b/c I'm in for one.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

clayfu wrote:Why always pack a merlot in?

You've shopped at Costco, right? ;)

clayfu

PetiteSirah wrote:Ditto. I thought that the merlot was the best wine of the 3 from the first batch. It has turned out to be one of the merlots I liked best.

[link to earlier labrat review -- fill in later]

on the other hand, I was decidedly unimpressed by the Meritage and the CS. Hopefully the Claret and the new one are better. But we'll see, b/c I'm in for one.

i agree with you about the Meritage and CS. I have a bottle of their claret that they sent me during this offering somewhere...

clayfu

Corrado wrote:You've shopped at Costco, right? ;)

i tend to skip over all the wines at costco unless they are at the very end displays

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

PetiteSirah wrote:

According to Meritage.Org, the Meritage should be the best wine coming out of the winery. Not a set-in-stone requirement, but when you pay for the name, it would make sense to invest wisely.

Cesare

conroo wrote:Such tenacity! WTG Mill!

I don't know how mill does it. I swear I clicked buy in the first second. It's a conspiracy I tell you!
Would love to try "sorelle per sempre". Put anything in Italian on a label and I'm a sucker for it (just not first sucker).

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jessiebyrd004

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jessiebyrd004

Geesh. Why is even the good deals on wine so expensive?.. Well, not "expensive" but still. When are we gonna get ONE bottle that's half-priced to $15 or so?

I do a daily woot blog where I talk about the woot, link to CSEs, find reviews, etc. A few people have told me it's useful. Google "useful linkage" and there it is.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

clayfu wrote:i tend to skip over all the wines at costco unless they are at the very end displays

I wasn't talking about wines. I was talking about the 'bundles' of things they offer at a fantastic bargain with one item you want, one you couldn't care less about, and one you want no part of.

...but the deal is good enough that you ignore the intolerable and live with the indifferent to get the preferred.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

What's the deal?

Check out the link above for CT prices and comparisons of the w.w price to direct ordering (with shipping) from the producer. As always, YMMV with local prices (if you can find these wines), but don't forget about taxes and gas when you shop your home town.

And for those who are interested, you can get more info at the Donati Family Vineyards website.

CT | | | | | |

clayfu

jessiebyrd004 wrote:Geesh. Why is even the good deals on wine so expensive?.. Well, not "expensive" but still. When are we gonna get ONE bottle that's half-priced to $15 or so?

I dont think it's really that economical for WD to constantly sell low priced wines. You keep selling low priced wines and people think all you do is sell low priced wines. Also low priced wines tend to be worse off on the average and hence you're seen as selling low quality wines. It's a horrible cycle. I suggest your neighbhorhood wine store or trader joe if you want 5-9 dollar wines.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah
clayfu wrote:i agree with you about the Meritage and CS. I have a bottle of their claret that they sent me during this offering somewhere...

They sent a claret? That's.... odd. The first offering was Merlot, CS, Meritage. I remember being struck by their having both a Meritage and a Claret.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

Hammerofthegods

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammerofthegods

Link to the winery......

http://www.donatifamilyvineyard.com/

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
clayfu wrote:I dont think it's really that economical for WD to constantly sell low priced wines. You keep selling low priced wines and people think all you do is sell low priced wines. Also low priced wines tend to be worse off on the average and hence you're seen as selling low quality wines. It's a horrible cycle. I suggest your neighbhorhood wine store or trader joe if you want 5-9 dollar wines.

Or, in other words, you can find them cheaper locally!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 29 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
clayfu wrote:I dont think it's really that economical for WD to constantly sell low priced wines. You keep selling low priced wines and people think all you do is sell low priced wines. Also low priced wines tend to be worse off on the average and hence you're seen as selling low quality wines. It's a horrible cycle. I suggest your neighbhorhood wine store or trader joe if you want 5-9 dollar wines.

Amen.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
Corrado wrote:I wasn't talking about wines. I was talking about the 'bundles' of things they offer at a fantastic bargain with one item you want, one you couldn't care less about, and one you want no part of.

...but the deal is good enough that you ignore the intolerable and live with the indifferent to get the preferred.

You mean like packaging Casablanca with Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Corrado wrote:According to Meritage.Org, the Meritage should be the best wine coming out of the winery. Not a set-in-stone requirement, but when you pay for the name, it would make sense to invest wisely.

I don't see the Meritage listed on their web site at all.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Cesare

Wow, a wine that WL sells. They have the 2005 claret for 15 bones.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

clayfu

Hum.. i can't find my claret from Donati.. it's probably in my winelocker in san diego. BUT! i did find a 2003 cab from donati sitting in my room, this tasting note probably means nothing since this cab isn't being offered and it's not even from the same year... but here we go.

Splash decant, gave it 20 good swirls and poured some into the glass.
Nose: Incredibly hot , so hot i coughed. Its as if there were methanol fumes just riding on top of this wine. Luckily, the heat died off pretty much as i finished typing this note. It's there but not nearly as heavy. Some oak, bright cherries, a bit of smoke and leather.
taste: acidic bright berries (cherries), not tannic at all, so few tannins you dont really notice it unless you really concentrate. A bit of heat mixed in with the fruit. A little bit of green pepper.
finish: short finish, a bit of the cherry flavor in the mouth.

10 minutes in: more leather, more expressive fruit.

clayfu

PetiteSirah wrote:They sent a claret? That's.... odd. The first offering was Merlot, CS, Meritage. I remember being struck by their having both a Meritage and a Claret.

um... a month after the offering I got a knock on my door with the Golden state overnight man carrying a suspiciously single wine looking box. I don't usually buy wine one bottle at a time (shipping costs are horrid) so I was curious what it was. Surprise surprise... a surprise package from someone/somewhere. too bad I didn't get a chance to try the wine at that time.

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
Cesare wrote:I don't know how mill does it. I swear I clicked buy in the first second. It's a conspiracy I tell you!
Would love to try "sorelle per sempre". Put anything in Italian on a label and I'm a sucker for it (just not first sucker).

I think it has to do with the speed of his/her internet connection. Not so much the d/l speed, but the u/l speed. He is able to send his CC and other info to the servers faster than everyone else.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

quadforce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quadforce

My wine stock is getting a tad low from my last order (only two bottles in the house! yikes.) so I'll probably jump in on this one in the morning.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

In for one, though I'm tempted to get more (and it's not often I'm tempted to get more!).

Petit Verdot is my absolute favourite grape, so I cannot wait to try the Claret, but honestly, reading reviews, the Sorelle sounds outstanding.

Merlot, my first favourite CA red, before I became more knowledgeable, isn't bad either, though it doesn't excite me; I'll have no trouble drinking it.

I can't wait to see the labrat reports on these (or hell, be chosen for the Sorelle or Claret since I got a corked bottle previously!). *bats eyelashes* I may be enticed to buy more!

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

MarkDaSpark wrote:I don't see the Meritage listed on their web site at all.

It's there. ...or should I say "here".

edit: If you mean the Donati site, it's likely that they don't sell this online, making it a wine-club or tasting room only purchase.

Cesare

The Wine Spies reviewed the 2005 Claret.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
Cesare wrote:The Wine Spies reviewed the 2005 Claret.

Thanks, very positive review.

First time I've read one of their reviews... how reliable do you find them?

NatalieW

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NatalieW

Yipee! In from MA and no monkey on my back...or trailing my car on the wootleg!!!
And I was down to one lonely Donati from the last group....

jwhite6114

damightyanteater wrote:I think it has to do with the speed of his/her internet connection. Not so much the d/l speed, but the u/l speed. He is able to send his CC and other info to the servers faster than everyone else.

i think he has eliminated some clicks. there are some apps that will open you straight to the BUY page as soon as a new offer is posted.

CT | | | | | |

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold

Hey Loweeel, love the novel you left as a tasting note on the Merlot ;-)

jwhite6114

NatalieW wrote:You are up early, jwhite!

It's still a work week -- at least the first two days. Trip to NY planned for the latter part of the week!

CT | | | | | |

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

Just to point out the obvious contained in this thought, the margin on a $10 wine is much lower in a dollar amount than on a $50 wine.

Also, I have done absolutely zero research but based on the above comments it sounds like Donati has turned away from the Meritage society and is now calling their red blend a Claret, which is delightful in my book.

Clay, after the heat went away, and leather and fruit became more expressive, what was your overall impression of the wine? B/B+ but not with food?

signed.

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 29 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
jwhite6114 wrote:i think he has eliminated some clicks. there are some apps that will open you straight to the BUY page as soon as a new offer is posted.

I'm sure I'd be thrilled to be first sometime, but I'm happy as long as I get my wine in good shape. And you have 10 hours to get in on the labrat action. (Hint, hint)
In for 2.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

I think it's worth noting that the current vintages on offer are not possible to get from the Donati Vineyard website. Almost all on their website are several years younger than those on offer currently. Thanks much to WD for getting us this sort of deal, even though I can't be in because I found place in Bloomington that carries one of my favorite craft beers, Capital Brewery's Island Wheat. www.capital-brewery.com

Shameless plug, I know, but I am shameless.

Enjoy, those who get this, I have no doubts it will rock your world.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

jwhite6114

canonizer wrote:Also, I have done absolutely zero research but based on the above comments it sounds like Donati has turned away from the Meritage society and is now calling their red blend a Claret, which is delightful in my book.

I thought "Claret" was a protected term, but it appears (per Wikipedia) that this protection is only within the EU. So within Europe, a Claret must be a UK wine, but the rest of the world can use the term as it sees fit?

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

thrawn1020 wrote:I think it's worth noting that the current vintages on offer are not possible to get from the Donati Vineyard website. Almost all on their website are several years younger than those on offer currently. Thanks much to WD for getting us this sort of deal, even though I can't be in because I found place in Bloomington that carries one of my favorite craft beers, Capital Brewery's Island Wheat. www.capital-brewery.com

Shameless plug, I know, but I am shameless.

Enjoy, those who get this, I have no doubts it will rock your world.

Hmmm ... then perhaps I have misread the website. I believe the Merlot and the Claret are both available from the Donati Family Vineyards website, though the Sorelle Per Sempre is not (though you can find it, too, via a Google search and viewing the cached page). While the names on the bottles do not match exactly the woot listing, the descriptions of the 2005 DFV Claret, Estate Vineyard, Paicines and the 2004 DFV Merlot, Estate Vineyard, Paicines (as well as the cached Sorelle Per Sempre page) sure line up with the woot offer.

CT | | | | | |