iowa2oc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iowa2oc
canonizer wrote:Stelzner is another reasonable one.

Have not tried it. I see at Bevmo they have a Claret for 18, Cab for 37 and Merlot for 30. Sounds like go for the Claret or the Cab, why go between.

I will have to try it next time I am in Calif as they seem to not have large enough volume to make it out of Calif.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
jwhite6114 wrote:You're not helping me stay out of this one LabROUS. I am trying to save my wine funds for the RPM trip next month, but this deal is sounding quite worth it.

Must be strong. Must be strong.

BTW: Although I cannot rule out that Greg Norman himself will show up for the RPM Wine Tour - his winery will not be one of our stops.

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38
bridgeresq wrote:yes, NOLA. I used to watch MST3K, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember all of the movies. I've got to find it, I really need the laugh.

and you stayed, i lived in nola for 3yrs before moving to austin..............glad to chat with someone from the crescent city...........dahlin.........pooo yie!!

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
iowa2oc wrote:Have not tried it. I see at Bevmo they have a Claret for 18, Cab for 37 and Merlot for 30. Sounds like go for the Claret or the Cab, why go between.

I will have to try it next time I am in Calif as they seem to not have large enough volume to make it out of Calif.

I've seen it at costcos in NY. As the claret is probably cab based, I'd suggest trying it. Anyways, my point was not that california cabs are impossible to find in the $25 range, just that you might be very limited. I'm glad to keep the discussion going though, and thanks for the suggestions.

signed.

canonizer

woopdedoo wrote:BTW: Although I cannot rule out that Greg Norman himself will show up for the RPM Wine Tour - his winery will not be one of our stops.

If only there were someway to bend the space-time continuum.

signed.

iowa2oc

canonizer wrote:I've seen it at costcos in NY. As the claret is probably cab based, I'd suggest trying it. Anyways, my point was not that california cabs are impossible to find in the $25 range, just that you might be very limited. I'm glad to keep the discussion going though, and thanks for the suggestions.

I just saw Roth for $28.50 at Bevmo. That is a bold bottle of wine for that price.
In NY you can shop Trader Joes. Now they have some good wines at good prices there.
We, in Iowa, have to go to Chicago or St Louis for a TJ, but the selection is still pretty good here, but the prices are better at TJ.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
iowa2oc wrote:I just saw Roth for $28.50 at Bevmo. That is a bold bottle of wine for that price.
In NY you can shop Trader Joes. Now they have some good wines at good prices there.
We, in Iowa, have to go to Chicago or St Louis for a TJ, but the selection is still pretty good here, but the prices are better at TJ.

Trader Joe's is in the Twin Cities - I have one about 6 or 7 miles from my house. I haven't been blown away by their inventory, but there are two more stores around town that I haven't checked out. Depending on where you are in Iowa, we could be closer than Chicago and St. Louis.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

iowa2oc

coynedj wrote:Trader Joe's is in the Twin Cities - I have one about 6 or 7 miles from my house. I haven't been blown away by their inventory, but there are two more stores around town that I haven't checked out. Depending on where you are in Iowa, we could be closer than Chicago and St. Louis.

South of Cedar Rapids. Chicago is closest and Minn and St Louis are equal distance. The selection at TJ is, in a large part, controled by the local distributors. I have heard the selection is a little short in Minn. The best selection is in Chicago. Some great Italians along with Calif and Spanish.
They have a wine from Sicily of the Nero type with a gold god statue on the lable that is a great $5 bottle of wine after about 30 minutes after opening.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
canonizer wrote:If only there were someway to bend the space-time continuum.

Or blend the space time continuum, Meritage anyone?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
jwhite6114 wrote:You're not helping me stay out of this one LabROUS. I am trying to save my wine funds for the RPM trip next month, but this deal is sounding quite worth it.

Must be strong. Must be strong.

Australian shiraz of this quality will give you some slight flavor variations you aren't going to find from a wine in California. It's not as simple as saving your money for an equal alternative. What you're really doing is saving your money while missing out.

canonizer

bhodilee wrote:Or blend the space time continuum, Meritage anyone?

as long as were blending the space time continuum, we might as well say Bordeaux.

signed.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
bhodilee wrote:Or blend the space time continuum, Meritage anyone?

Didn't you mean space wine continuum?

canonizer

SonomaBouliste wrote:Didn't you mean space wine continuum?

Anyone want a peanut?

signed.

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec
iowa2oc wrote:South of Cedar Rapids. ...

Hopefully, you are high and drying. Still a bit damp here in Wloo/CF.

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

How exciting. After a long time waiting (Actually I usually order too late to be considered) I have become a Labrat for the Greg Norman Reserve Shiraz 2002 Limestone Coast. I will try it tonight and give some feedback tomorrow or later tonight. Now what to I pick up to grill tonight? This may call for lamb or some game.

CT

bhodilee

hershelk wrote:How exciting. After a long time waiting (Actually I usually order too late to be considered) I have become a Labrat for the Greg Norman Reserve Shiraz 2002 Limestone Coast. I will try it tonight and give some feedback tomorrow or later tonight. Now what to I pick up to grill tonight? This may call for lamb or some game.

get some elk, just cause it's the last three letters in your name. And it tastes good

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

ptoledo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptoledo
bhodilee wrote:get some elk, just cause it's the last three letters in your name. And it tastes good

I've never had elk...is it similar to venison?

Gig 'em Aggies!

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
bhodilee wrote:get some elk, just cause it's the last three letters in your name. And it tastes good

With limited planning time I will have to be at the mercy of the grocery store. Maybe I can hit Whole Foods, they usually have a decent selection. To bad you can't find Kudu here. I just had it in South Africa, and it is very good.

CT

iowa2oc

ptoledo wrote:I've never had elk...is it similar to venison?

Elk is a form of venison. Most think it is only deer. Elk is far superior to deer. More tender and more fleshy or less tight muscles than a deer usually has. Both can be gamey unless bled properly. Great with a fully bodied red. A shiraz may be too sweet.

susan360

quality posts: 3 Private Messages susan360
eric9tx wrote:Or how 'bout autographed bottles?

Hi - I think I have a couple of these reserve shz autographed by Greg, actually. Email me at www.wineclub@cellar360.com and I'll look / we can chat.
Susan

iowa2oc

hershelk wrote:With limited planning time I will have to be at the mercy of the grocery store. Maybe I can hit Whole Foods, they usually have a decent selection. To bad you can't find Kudu here. I just had it in South Africa, and it is very good.

Try http://www.1-800-exoticmeats.com they may have it or at least American Antelope (which is close)

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Not relating to the Greg Norman Shirazzzzzz, but I just saw that Amazon has the Spiegelau Vino Grande Red Wine Glasses on sale today (their Friday Sale) at $45 for 6. Not a bad price.

And.... is there ever going to be any wine in the woot-off?

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
labROUS wrote:LabROUS review: an attempt at objective description of wine. My goal is to give you an idea of the aromas, flavors and structure of the wine(s) reviewed. Because wine preferences are personal, I try to stay away from “quality” assessment. It is, of course, impossible to completely ignore my pet likes and dislikes, but I will try to let you know when I’m expressing opinion - for example, many of you are aware that I am not fond of heavy oak or high alcohol.

- Greg Norman Reserve Shiraz 2002 Limestone Coast

This wine is quite dark and still has a bit of youthful purple tint. The initial aromas include a fair amount of coconut-like oak.. I’m probably part of a minority who would even comment on this, and I’ve certainly had many oakier wines. There’s some blueberry and blackberry fruit, chocolate and mint (I was reminded of Andes mints). Swirling brings out some of the trademark Syrah character - smoked bacon, iodine, game, white pepper and violet, along with ripe plum, fennel and a bit of caramel or toffee. The minty (eucalyptus?) note is always present, but never dominant.
The entry is moderately sweet, supple and mouthcoating, with some oak adding to the richness. The acid balance is spot-on, not tart as I was expecting after peeking at the stats, and prevents the wine from becoming heavy or cloying. The tannins are rich and fairly soft, adding structure and some astringency on the finish. This is not a monster that demands aging, but certainly has the stuff to last and develop for several more years. The finish is fairly long and rich, and should get even longer and smoother as the oak becomes fully integrated and the tannins soften a bit more.

Greg Norman Reserve Shiraz 2001 Limestone Coast

I don’t have these wines side by side, but the 2001 seems to be not quite as dark, but more youthful in color. The oak is not as obvious in the aromas as it is in the ’02; there’s more blackberry and raspberry, smoke and bacon. With swirling, I get cassis and mulberry, licorice and pepper. The oak is not prominent, just a bit of toast and butterscotch, and the mint/ eucalyptus is only a suggestion. After more time and air, the blackberry/mulberry, licorice and bacon aromas are joined by leather and clove.
The entry isn’t quite as big and sweet as the ’02 (less oak?), but is supple and velvety. The blackberry flavor is brightened by a decent level of acid, leading to a long smooth finish with persistent fruit and licorice flavors. There is still some astringency that suggests aging potential of several more years, but the wine is also drinking very nicely right now.

Finally, to compare and contrast:

The 2002 is a bigger, oakier, more mouthfilling wine, made in a style that is very popular these days. It is somewhat more in the direction of what we call “Parkerized”, but it’s not over-the-top. It’s got more “wow factor” – the stuff that wins tastings and medals, but will be tougher to match with food. The 2001 is more in a style I prefer: balanced, concentrated but not to excess, with oak in a supporting, rather than major, role. This wine isn’t as big as the ’02, and should be more food friendly, although it’s perfectly enjoyable on it’s own.

Edit: Oops!, I forgot to log on as labROUS - I guess I've Plamed myself.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
canonizer wrote:Just avoid saying petite shiraz if you don't want Loweel to hunt you down.

They call it Durif (as do the French). Silly Aussies.... er... Americans.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

canonizer

worst.woot-off.ever?

sorry if i'm distracting from the shiraz conversation because my attention threshold is low. Peter's reports would have thrown me over the edge, i suspect.

signed.

jenmonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenmonkey
iowa2oc wrote:Elk is a form of venison. Most think it is only deer. Elk is far superior to deer. More tender and more fleshy or less tight muscles than a deer usually has. Both can be gamey unless bled properly. Great with a fully bodied red. A shiraz may be too sweet.

Y'all are stealing my thunder! I totally called the elk thing around page 2 or so.

The ranch in Colorado (Mancos, or at least outside of Durango I believe) where we got the elk for dinner with my dad ships their meat all over the country. I only wish I remembered their name. I suppose you could always do a web search.

It was nothing at all like venison, and that might be because they raised their elk so well, and really knew how to cut the meat... I dunno, but it was rich and minerally and tender. Awesome stuff. I wish we had elk farms in California.

I think if you prepared it well, maybe with a rich syrah reduction or something with bold spices, the elk would hold up very well to the wine. Just my personal culinary opinion, and no I have not tried any of the Greg Normans.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
SonomaBouliste wrote:I guess I've Plamed myself.

Don't worry, we won't McClellan you.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Hey, double-ya-dee? Where's all that wine on the woot-off?

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

Corison Two pack offer is up if you click the home page icon...

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm
andyduncan wrote:Hey, double-ya-dee? Where's all that wine on the woot-off?

Looks like Corison is on the way! I'll be in for at least one more!

more than enough wine.woots!

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

iowa2oc wrote:Try http://www.1-800-exoticmeats.com they may have it or at least American Antelope (which is close)

and they have Kangaroo...quite a selection for the serious carnivore here.

Loweeel

INTLGerard wrote:and they have Kangaroo...quite a selection for the serious carnivore here.

I know.... oh man, I know what I'm doing when I'm rich!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
Loweeel wrote:I know.... oh man, I know what I'm doing when I'm rich!

And for those MOT (or others) who are more kosher minded, don't let's forget kosherbison.com (run by a lovely family here in Denver, though the meat is sourced from South Dakota), and their sister site koshervenison.com

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

Loweeel wrote:I know.... oh man, I know what I'm doing when I'm rich!

Kobe rib eye and PS I'd guess!
...and hopefully they'll ship to Tel Aviv. ;-)

Speaking of Israel here is a read you might be Interested in from SF Gate.
You probably saw it but the recent Spectator covered Israel as well. No PSigh...news though.

Loweeel

joelsisk wrote:And for those MOT (or others) who are more kosher minded, don't let's forget kosherbison.com (run by a lovely family here in Denver, though the meat is sourced from South Dakota), and their sister site koshervenison.com

AWESOME!!! Thanks for the tip!

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:And for those MOT (or others) who are more kosher minded, don't let's forget kosherbison.com (run by a lovely family here in Denver, though the meat is sourced from South Dakota), and their sister site koshervenison.com

Bison is my favorite meat on the planet. I ate SO much of it in SD two weeks ago. I would move there just for the Bison, but I'd have to get a WY wootlegger.

Edit: That's really not that bad a price, Bison around here goes for damn near ten bucks a pound, which is why I never eat it around here. I dont' know what the mark up on Kosher food usually is, but considering it's probably the only place on the planet to have Kosher Bison I'm impressed.

iowa2oc

INTLGerard wrote:and they have Kangaroo...quite a selection for the serious carnivore here.

My thought is if you are willing to eat a cow or a pig then all meat should be ok. Just becasue they are cute or petable does not make them out of bounds food. Roo is a very good meat if stewed for a long time to enderize it.

iowa2oc

iowa2oc wrote:My thought is if you are willing to eat a cow or a pig then all meat should be ok. Just becasue they are cute or petable does not make them out of bounds food. Roo is a very good meat if stewed for a long time to tenderize it.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

I got a Blushing Over Compliments!!

Yay!!

(almost makes up for not being a labrat.... just kidding, WD)

blusky558

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blusky558

[quote postid="2351098" user="bhodilee"]Bison is my favorite meat on the planet. I ate SO much of it in SD two weeks ago. I would move there just for the Bison, but I'd have to get a WY wootlegger.

I'd be your WY wootlegger, but thought I'd let you know that there is a bison ranch just outside of town here that ships meat just about anywhere. There used to be a winery out there as well, I would sometimes help with wine tastings when they got really busy during summer months. Got paid a few $$ plus a bottle or two to take home. The winery closed due to bad feelings between the partners, but the winemaker is still here in town doing tastings for one of the local wine shops.