bridgeresq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bridgeresq

Louisiana must have the same issue with shipping. No problem, there's no shortage of liquor in New Orleans.

ptoledo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptoledo
koneco wrote:Manos, Hands of Fate is a movie produced by some Texas fertilizer company, and was featured on Mystery Science Theater. It is probably the worst movie in existence, with terrible acting, terrible plot, drugged cast members who shot up before shoots ... and they released it. Dear God, it was bad.

While I have not seen this Manos, the Hands of Fate, I would like to state my opinion that the worst movie ever made (that I have seen) was The Last Starfighter.

waiting for wine in woot-off...

Gig 'em Aggies!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Winedavid39 wrote:one would think.

And here I thought I'd get away with not buying this week. We'll see if that still holds true though, depending on what it is and/or whether I miss it do to having to be busy at work.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
ptoledo wrote: state my opinion that the worst movie ever made (that I have seen) was The Last Starfighter.

Oh NO YOU DIN'T!

The Last Starfighter is made of 100% weapons grade Awesome!

You just insulted a geek favorite in a geek community, prepare for the death blossom!

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

bridgeresq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bridgeresq
paryb wrote:Oh NO YOU DIN'T!

You just insulted a geek favorite in a geek community, prepare for the death blossom!

Oh snap! I know nothing about that movie, but I think I'll grab some popcorn.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

Non-Contact Handheld Infrared Thermometer on juvie woot

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
yathink2 wrote:Non-Contact Handheld Infrared Thermometer on juvie woot

Looks like a nice one too. In for one!

pmarin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmarin

Yes, the IR thermo on juvie woot seems nice -- it will go to 320C. I'm using the little "pocket" one from a Woot-off and it's working great for checking my Wine Woot arrival temperatures. I used it yesterday for my delicious LabRat Prestige Brut (thanks again for the chance to be a rat!)

Regarding the IR thermos, though, if you need a range like 320C, I hope that's not for your wine, or else it's maybe for a wine reduction sauce.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
bridgeresq wrote:Daystar is right - they responded to me within 24 hours. Woot customer service is one of the best out there. While I haven't gotten the replacement bottles yet, and wouldn't have ordered a wine that I wasn't anxious to enjoy now, they did at least respond. You might want to email them again or check to see if their response went into a spam folder or something. It is getting close to the 2-3 week time frame, so hopefully my Ty Caton, Twisted Oak & Dry Creek will ship soon!!

I had to have two orders resent due to a UPS foul-up, Woot got back to me right away and were quite helpful with the issue (even though it wasn't their fault). The replacement wine had to ship from the winery (woot doesn't just keep extras in stock for the heck of it), so it took quite a while, but it did arrive and it's not really worth getting hysterical about.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

andyduncan

mozart23 wrote:Manos: The Hands of Fate

Often referred to as the worst movie ever made.

That Wikipedia Article is sorely lacking, how can you have a list of the worst films ever without including the only film so bad it was immortilized in The Far Side:

Titled: "Hell's Video Store"

bubblykindagal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bubblykindagal
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Has anyone used the FreeTheGrapes website to send a letter about this yet? I want to do so, but their automated letter generator is specifically designed for shipping between States and not for non-domestic wines such as this. Basically, if someone gives me good enough text to replace what defaults in their email thing then I'll follow through and submit the letter. I just don't want to/can't write it myself.

There is a also a great site for wine retailers who are trying to retain the right to direct ship to consumers. Besides www.freethegrapes.org which I support from a winery perspective, check out these guys who fight the good fight for the retailers: http://www.specialtywineretailers.org/whywinelovers.html

~Liz

laurmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurmom
ptoledo wrote:While I have not seen this Manos, the Hands of Fate, I would like to state my opinion that the worst movie ever made (that I have seen) was The Last Starfighter.

Oh NO! A friend from high school was the star of that movie! You dis my brush with fame! If you think THAT movie was bad... you clearly never sat through Ishtar. ;)

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
paryb wrote:Oh NO YOU DIN'T!

most definitely uber-cool in an uber-geeky kinda way. which is just fine by me. peace.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

ptoledo

laurmom wrote:Oh NO! A friend from high school was the star of that movie! You dis my brush with fame! If you think THAT movie was bad... you clearly never sat through Ishtar. ;)

*giggles*...no I haven't. I guess I'll have to rent it...

Or maybe I'll be sure to not?

Gig 'em Aggies!

ptoledo

oh darn...i didn't know it would insert *giggles*

Gig 'em Aggies!

pengu1n

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n

Way way slow on the draw, but pengu1n.com/woot2 is up for the wine wooters again for your wootoff tracker.

HitAnyKey42

pengu1n wrote:Way way slow on the draw, but pengu1n.com/woot2 is up for the wine wooters again for your wootoff tracker.

Does this thing operate any differently and/or better than the one at bagsofcrap.com?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

pengu1n

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Does this thing operate any differently and/or better than the one at bagsofcrap.com?

Probably similar. I like having the browser minimized at the bottom of my screen where you can still see the % left.

susan360

quality posts: 3 Private Messages susan360
marekny7 wrote:No NY on this??????

Hello - this is Susan from C360 - the people offering this wine. (www.cellar360.com)

I know, I know. NY doesn't allow international wines to be shipped there. It is so frustrating! Know anyone who lives in CT?

susan360

iByron wrote:Haven't seen it yet, but the web site for Greg Norman Estates is here.

Greg Norman. Ernie Els. Arnold Palmer. Is wine where old golfers go?

And why is there no wine from Lee TreVINO?

Hi there, You can find information on Greg Norman wines here.
http://www.cellar360.com/cellar360/catalog/index.jsp?cat_id=1037

He owns vineyards in Australia and California. They are managed by viticulturist and the winemakers are, of course, in the wine industry- but Greg is involved in the blending, taste profile, etc. They are very good wines - especially the Australian ones. The Victoria Chardonnay and this reserve Shiraz are two of my favs. The shiraz is HUGE. Very fruity, very bold. It really needs the aging so it is nice that I found some of these past vintages. They are hard to get in the US, as most go to the Aussies. They score very well in international competitions, but aren't submitted for scoring too often in the US because there is so few of the wines around (don't need to drive demand up when it is so scarce). Thus, if you like big, bold, rare, red wines, this is a good one for your collection.

susan360

pmarin wrote:Greg Norman Shiraz? Hmm, would not have guessed that. Totally unlike Mumm, or Ice Wine, or tappenade! I thought I had a Greg Norman in the cooler -- just checked and I have a 2002 Limestone Coast Shiraz-Cabernet. Not the Reserve. It's a more general-purpose one. But I might open it this week and report my tasting results (since, after all, I can still consider myself in LabRat mode from the first part of thise week, gotta continue to serve the community!)

Hi there. The Shiraz/Cab will be similar...but different. Remember you're comparing a $15 blend to a $45 reserve 100% Shiraz. the blend will be a little lighter, earthier, and less tannic, with only 18 mo in oak. the 100% shiraz will be bolder and more tannic, with almost 2 years in oak and 3 years aged in the bottle (think about the type of wine that needs to be bottle aged for 3 years PRIOR to release and you'll get an idea on how big this red is). So while the winemakers palate will guide similar profiles, and the region of Limestone coast is the same, the wines will be varied like a big ol' Cab and a bordeaux blend...

susan360

bridgeresq wrote:Louisiana must have the same issue with shipping. No problem, there's no shortage of liquor in New Orleans.

Yes, that is more of an overall wine limitation. Closest we can get to you is Florida... if you know of anyone there.
Susan

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

Bezalel wrote:Why do Australians use the name Shiraz? The Australian vines were origionaly from France, not Iran.

As I was taught, there are a few different theories/stories about this. You may remember SB's historical reference to Persia (my favorite version). Some attribute this to Busby (considered the founder of Australian wine). Whatever it is, it is Syrah and although there was a move at one time to decrease it’s plantings it is now the king of Australian wine. It seems fitting that the names are different since the different “terriors” and wine making styles result in two uniquely different wines. Consequently, it has turned into a marketing phenomenon for the Australian wine industry.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
susan360 wrote:The shiraz is HUGE. Very fruity, very bold. It really needs the aging so it is nice that I found some of these past vintages. They are hard to get in the US, as most go to the Aussies. They score very well in international competitions, but aren't submitted for scoring too often in the US because there is so few of the wines around (don't need to drive demand up when it is so scarce). Thus, if you like big, bold, rare, red wines, this is a good one for your collection.

Feel... myself... slipping.... argh. Must... resist...

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

paryb

INTLGerard wrote:As I was taught, there are a few different theories/stories about this. You may remember SB's historical reference to Persia (my favorite version). Some attribute this to Busby (considered the founder of Australian wine). Whatever it is, it is Syrah and although there was a move at one time to decrease it’s plantings it is now the king of Australian wine. It seems fitting that the names are different since the different “terriors” and wine making styles result in two uniquely different wines. Consequently, it has turned into a marketing phenomenon for the Australian wine industry.

My wine making buddy in NM calls his Shiraz, mainly because the flavor profile of the grapes produced here is more akin to the Aussie wines.

INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

susan360 wrote:Hi there. The Shiraz/Cab will be similar...but different. Remember you're comparing a $15 blend to a $45 reserve 100% Shiraz. the blend will be a little lighter, earthier, and less tannic, with only 18 mo in oak. the 100% shiraz will be bolder and more tannic, with almost 2 years in oak and 3 years aged in the bottle (think about the type of wine that needs to be bottle aged for 3 years PRIOR to release and you'll get an idea on how big this red is). So while the winemakers palate will guide similar profiles, and the region of Limestone coast is the same, the wines will be varied like a big ol' Cab and a bordeaux blend...

Susan360 is back! G-day mate, good too see you on the blogs again.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mozart23 wrote:Manos: The Hands of Fate

Often referred to as the worst movie ever made.

See, I thought it was the Woot filter in action, not realizing that it was an ACTUAL title. Thanks for clearing it up with the link. That really does sound like a bad movie ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

paryb

MarkDaSpark wrote:See, I thought it was the Woot filter in action, not realizing that it was an ACTUAL title. Thanks for clearing it up with the link. That really does sound like a bad movie ....

I believe it is a woot filter as well...I don't know what for though.

andyduncan

clayfu wrote:when i think of shiraz i rarely think of it pairing with food, just so overpowering. (the wine that is). What matches with it?

I have no idea, I don't drink much Aussie Shiraz. I've only ever had a couple cheap ones and they were a little one-dimensional and super fake-fruity.

From Susan's description it seems like these would pair similarly to a big extracted Syrah or Petit Sirah given their "huge, fruity, tannic" qualities, big strong steak like a good strip steak with lots of pepper or some well seasoned Santa Maria style tri-tip?

Gerard? Susan? Pairings? Or is this one a quaffer?

HitAnyKey42

paryb wrote:I believe it is a woot filter as well...I don't know what for though.

It's a woot filter for Manos, the Hands of Fate.

PS. Hit Reply to really see.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

andyduncan

paryb wrote:My wine making buddy in NM calls his Shiraz, mainly because the flavor profile of the grapes produced here is more akin to the Aussie wines.

Eberle has a cute label on their Cab/Syrah with "Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah" over an upside-down "Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz":

ptoledo

paryb wrote:I believe it is a woot filter as well...I don't know what for though.

It's the type of creek you don't want to be up without a paddle.

Gig 'em Aggies!

paryb

HitAnyKey42 wrote:It's a woot filter for Manos, the Hands of Fate.

*giggles* you Dork!

As far as food pairings go, I've found that intense Shiraz pairs well with Mexican food, specifically red chile like for red enchiladas, or carne adovada.

INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

clayfu wrote:when i think of shiraz i rarely think of it pairing with food, just so overpowering. (the wine that is). What matches with it?

Follow the Aussies to the Barbi...I love grilled lamb, beef, venison, spicy bbq ribs...etc. First the Mumm and now this...some people are going to have one heck of a 4th!

andyduncan

Four letter word that rhymes with and shares most of it's letters with "spit": Manos, the Hands of Fate

Which makes it probably the most accurate woot-filter ever, and the only one I know of that replaces the term with a direct synonym.

andyduncan

INTLGerard wrote:Follow the Aussies to the Barbi...I love grilled lamb, beef, venison, spicy bbq ribs...etc. First the Mumm and now this...some people are going to have one heck of a 4th!

Venison, wow, I didn't even know Australia had deer

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
clayfu wrote:lowest alcohol % i've seen on a Shiraz in a long long time. I wonder what the actual % is?

Side story: I was speaking to a wine maker the other day and we tasted a 98 point Pinot that stated it was 15.5%. He told me a horrible secret.. that after it was lab tested by interested parties.. it was found to be over 17% alcohol O_O. Of course..that doens't change the fact that it's a good wine.. a great wine can hide high alcohol!

Low alcohol? They're 14 and 14.5%!

INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

paryb wrote:*giggles* you Dork!

As far as food pairings go, I've found that intense Shiraz pairs well with Mexican food, specifically red chile like for red enchiladas, or carne adovada.

I've had success with Mexican as well. Shiraz holds up well to a little spice and some heat. However, I wouldn't suggest you get tongue numbing habanero about it. ;-p

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus

no michigan?

OK then, easy decision... go buy some beer!

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
iByron wrote:Well, maybe they're "jammy."

And I wonder what Shiraz grape preserves would taste like.

Probably quite good. Syrah and Zinfandel both make nice table grapes, unlike a lot of wine grapes.