cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
tommythecat78 wrote:You know...Larry the Wonder LLama...hangs out with a biting moose.

I think I might be better off not knowing...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bubblykindagal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bubblykindagal
BoredStiff wrote:
Sparkling wine…that’s what Labrats eat their cookies with.

Mr. BS, (Scratch that)
Mr. Stiff, (still not quite right)
Brother Bored, (better, but not perfect, will do in this case)

May I use that in my signature? That may be the most brilliant pairing. Ever.

~Liz

pfcouvar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pfcouvar
inkwench wrote:Or just know your Fed Ex driver.

I'll second this. We started generously tipping our two regular UPS drivers for the holidays a few years back, just because we live on a second-floor walkup and get a ton of ridiculous packages and were grateful.

Now they stop when they see us drive by and have a package for us, they will leave packages by our inside door without a signature when we're not home (which is disallowed, but which we love), and are just generally willing to go the extra mile whenever we need anything. It's awesome.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cheron98 wrote:I think I might be better off not knowing...

Opening credits to Monty Python and the Holy Grail...some people...

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

tommythecat78

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 6.017s

Last wooter to woot: tommythecat78

Just one, just in case tomorrows is too good to pass up.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

dakillawoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dakillawoot
jwhite6114 wrote:Extended warranties, like insurance, are merely legal gambling. If the companies who offered them did not take in more money than they paid out (plus expenses) they would not be in business. So clearly they do not pay off for most people. If you're using them as a planned form of risk sharing, then fine, but if you rely on them with every purchase you will likely pay more in warranty purchases then any repair they cover will be worth.

Generally I agree, but with some high ticket items it is worth the gamble. I just took my nearly 3 year old IBM into the shop thinking that i may be able to get a new hardrive or some ram as my computer has been running slow. Chatted with the techs for a while, mentioned that I was also having some issues with the dvd/cd burner, and the screen seemed kind of yellow. They called me the next day and informed me that I was getting a new hardrive, new dvd/cd burner, new screen, and new keyboard. Five days later I had it back!!! Oh, and I had 28 days left on the 3 year warranty. So sweet!

Now, to be sure i wouldnt buy an extended warranty from any of the big box stores. Those are complete ripoffs. But a manufacturer extended warranty on a $3K computer...definitely!

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
dakillawoot wrote:

Now, to be sure i wouldnt buy an extended warranty from any of the big box stores. Those are complete ripoffs. But a manufacturer extended warranty on a $3K computer...definitely!

Back in November, for the first time ever I bought a 2 year extended warranty. It was for our flat screen TV purchased from Wally World . Turns out the thing is a lemon, a complete piece of carp. The service guy's been out twice to replace the motherboard and it still acts up.
Anyway, once the company's 1 year warranty expires WM will send me a check for the entire amount of the TV. I can also transfer the remaining time of the extended warranty to a new set if purchased there.
Not bad for 69 bucks.
Sorry 'bout that, now back to the bubbly....

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:Opening credits to Monty Python and the Holy Grail...some people...

It's been a while. And I never fully did appreciate it, really. The lines are funny and all, it's just hard for me to watch

BoredStiff

quality posts: 13 Private Messages BoredStiff
bubblykindagal wrote:

May I use that in my signature? That may be the most brilliant pairing. Ever.

~Liz

Absolutely. Just as long as I retain the rights for any national and international and international ad campaigns, as well as hollywood script rights.

And I have it in my contract that Matt Damon is to portray me on film or in commercials. And don't try to slip in Ben Affleck...I can tell the difference.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
cheron98 wrote:It's been a while. And I never fully did appreciate it, really. The lines are funny and all, it's just hard for me to watch

Ugh... women!

But on an on-topic note: in for 2.
Last wooter to woot: eric9tx

edit: this puts me over $1000 on wine.woot! Not sure whether to laugh or cry or both. Perhaps I'll just drink.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
jwhite6114 wrote:Because bottle price is variable, the Order Total savings may be different that the per bottle savings. Check your PM's for more info.

Have you thought about savings incorporating and estimated sales tax? Maybe this is a bad idea since we're supposed to be reporting out of state purchases.

signed.

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:It's been a while. And I never fully did appreciate it, really. The lines are funny and all, it's just hard for me to watch

GASP!! Blasphemy!!! For most people it seems you either really enjoy Monty Python or you don't.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jwhite6114 wrote:Extended warranties, like insurance, are merely legal gambling. If the companies who offered them did not take in more money than they paid out (plus expenses) they would not be in business. So clearly they do not pay off for most people. If you're using them as a planned form of risk sharing, then fine, but if you rely on them with every purchase you will likely pay more in warranty purchases then any repair they cover will be worth.

True, but on high priced items that have a tendency to need expensive repair (such as laptop computers), it is worth it. And you can be the most careful driver in the world, but it's the other idiots on the road (right, Loweeel and Mr. bhomicidal lesbian terrorist?) that will make you glad you have that insurance.

Does Mumm offer extended warranties on their Champagne? I keed, I keed! (They do not need it!)

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
canonizer wrote:Have you thought about savings incorporating and estimated sales tax? Maybe this is a bad idea since we're supposed to be reporting out of state purchases.

I think I remember reading somewhere that sales tax is included in the Woot pricing models. Which is why we don't have it as a line item on our order receipts.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314

I only buy it for my laptops. I travel with them enough and take them to work every day and use them enough (and I'm clumsy enough) that it's pretty much a safe bet that I'm going to get my money's worth. I did some math over my last 2 laptops and the $500 i spent between the two of them saved me more than $1500 (net not gross) (monitor repair, mother board and video card now).

dakillawoot wrote:Generally I agree, but with some high ticket items it is worth the gamble... Now, to be sure i wouldnt buy an extended warranty from any of the big box stores. Those are complete ripoffs. But a manufacturer extended warranty on a $3K computer...definitely!

Exactly my sentiment.

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:GASP!! Blasphemy!!! For most people it seems you either really enjoy Monty Python or you don't.

Maybe I'm just rebellious and dislike it because it ticks people off to do so

So where's all the rats?

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Wow, got mine already. Thanks

CT

pmarin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmarin
cheron98 wrote:
So where's all the rats?

Rat #2 standing by waiting for FedEx man. Wife, brother-in-law, and me are all hanging around scoping the entryway and driveway so won't let him get away this time. I think I'll go mow my lawn so I'll be in the prime location for truck spotting.

I didn't make it out to the FedEx location to pick up last night. I hadn't done this before but it is a good suggestion -- but unfortunately for me it's in the next state by the Portland airport. Well, it's not like it's a huge drive, since I'm close to the border (Columbia river), but still, it makes us do the math we all probably do now, hm, let's see, $15 gas for a trip around town and back..and be in evening traffic.. or wait for the nice FedEx man to drive to my house tomorrow? But if it would have been the last night of the offer, I would have gone for it to achieve my ratly duties.

I'm not sure if I'm Rat #2 or 3, but I know I'm not #1 because BoredStiff is clearly the lead rat as explained in no uncertain terms to the non-ratworthy in yesterday's rant, um, eloquent speech.

I'm not sure what I will be getting but I assume it's not the Red because #1 reported on that one. So it must be one of the whites (primarily). I need to think of some food pairings -- any suggestions?

cheron98

pmarin wrote:Rat #2 standing by waiting for FedEx man. Wife, brother-in-law, and me are all hanging around scoping the entryway and driveway so won't let him get away this time. I think I'll go mow my lawn so I'll be in the prime location for truck spotting.

I didn't make it out to the FedEx location to pick up last night. I hadn't done this before but it is a good suggestion -- but unfortunately for me it's in the next state by the Portland airport. Well, it's not like it's a huge drive, since I'm close to the border (Columbia river), but still, it makes us do the math we all probably do now, hm, let's see, $15 gas for a trip around town and back..and be in evening traffic.. or wait for the nice FedEx man to drive to my house tomorrow? But if it would have been the last night of the offer, I would have gone for it to achieve my ratly duties.

I'm not sure if I'm Rat #2 or 3, but I know I'm not #1 because BoredStiff is clearly the lead rat as explained in no uncertain terms to the non-ratworthy in yesterday's rant, um, eloquent speech.

I'm not sure what I will be getting but I assume it's not the Red because #1 reported on that one. So it must be one of the whites (primarily). I need to think of some food pairings -- any suggestions?

So far it seems like WD sends out 2 bottles of each wine, however 2 Reds have already been reported on, so yeah it looks like you've got either the Blue or the Brut coming.

cjsiege was actually #1, but we're still waiting on her report, too dt18997 posted rattery directly in the labrat thread. So there should still be 2 rats out there who've not yet checked in

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
cheron98 wrote:So far it seems like WD sends out 2 bottles of each wine, however 2 Reds have already been reported on, so yeah it looks like you've got either the Blue or the Brut coming.

cjsiege was actually #1, but we're still waiting on her report, too dt18997 posted rattery directly in the labrat thread. So there should still be 2 rats out there who've not yet checked in

Umm, eww. I thought you guys were going to cross-post any labrattery to the main thread? I really don't want to monitor a separate thread.

CT

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
tenuki wrote:Umm, eww. I thought you guys were going to cross-post any labrattery to the main thread? I really don't want to monitor a separate thread.

My sentiments exactly. I already spend more time monitoring this thread at work than I should.

Cheron: I believe you started the labrat thread, which I think is a good idea, and I appreciate you mentioning just now about dt... posting their labrat report there. If you could in the future monitor and cross-post to here that would be great for those of us single thread monitors.

pmarin

I've got a Golden Ticket... and with it a Reserve Brut.

Arrived at temp 67. Last two days have been cloudy so this was probably not exposed too badly in transit. It's in the white wine cooler now (temp 42). Will probably pull it before it's fully chilled, and give an initial tasting report in the afternoon. Thanks WD and Mumm folks!

cheron98

barrymccochener wrote:My sentiments exactly. I already spend more time monitoring this thread at work than I should.

Cheron: I believe you started the labrat thread, which I think is a good idea, and I appreciate you mentioning just now about dt... posting their labrat report there. If you could in the future monitor and cross-post to here that would be great for those of us single thread monitors.

Will do. I think this was the first instance of someone posting directly in that thread and not over here at all. So far, it had been either the rat posts in both, or they post here and we cross-post it over there. I'll get that one over here ASAP

cheron98

Here's dt18997's labrat report, x-posted from the labrat thread:

dt18997 wrote:When I got home i was excited to see that i had just missed a package from fedex. So i drove to the fedex office with my door tag and got a box. I was so excited because i had never thought i would be a lab rat. Well, I have my Mumm Cevee M Red chilled and ready to drink. I had originally thought of having it with a meal but NOT. I'm going to have it by itself. Just so everyone knows I'm still learning about wines and I find wine.woot.com irresistable. So forgive me if this isn't the best of reviews.

The Color of the Mumm is beautiful and the smell coming from the glass is quite refreshing. My first taste feels like there's a party in my mouth, and all my taste buds are standing up for joy as i watch this fabulous Celtic team win the championship. I'm entranced by the berry smell and i can't seem to puit it down without finishing the glass. I really like this and I plan on ordering more next time. Thanks woot for the opportunity.

BoredStiff

pmarin wrote:

All Rats are created equal. Just know that we are better than everyone else.

BoredStiff

cheron98 wrote:So far it seems like WD sends out 2 bottles of each wine, however 2 Reds have already been reported on, so yeah it looks like you've got either the Blue or the Brut coming.

I just wanted to add that while the Sparkling red was quite good, the gel packs were absolutely delicious.

pmarin

BoredStiff wrote:All Rats are created equal. Just know that we are better than everyone else.

It's good to be the King.

bunnymasseuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse

AND THE WOOT IS ON!

Or the heat, but not least, the trial of a prestigious Mumm Napa Reserve Brut that has been bestowed upon me.

I regret that this discovery was not made earlier, but because our receptionist was not here, the package sat awaiting me and I was not notified of it

That said, I plan on having a late rondevu with Mr. L in the kitchen with the golden ticket and a pair of glasses. I have also decided to open up my already purcashed Blue Mumm from a previous wine.woot offering and cover two at once! I'd make some ranchy reference at this point, but there's drinking to be had, not mucking around!

Notes to come later, the bottles and my excitement must wait for now. Dessert will be had, and thus it will be sweet indeed!

121 Woots and counting

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
BoredStiff wrote:All Rats are created equal. Just know that we are better than everyone else.

Actually my black box says I'm better than everyone else. vacuums for you.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
MarkDaSpark wrote:True, but on high priced items that have a tendency to need expensive repair (such as laptop computers), it is worth it. And you can be the most careful driver in the world, but it's the other idiots on the road (right, Loweeel and Mr. bhomicidal lesbian terrorist?) that will make you glad you have that insurance.

I have a rider on my home owner's policy... costs me $8/year for up to $3000 repairs to my computer. Best part is that it never expires! unless I stop paying it, obviously. The most amusing part is that it explicitly covers "water or other spilled liquid damage".

subwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages subwoot

sweet...

Mumm Independence Day - 3 Pack Sampler
Current numbers (updated each minute):

Last wooter to woot: subwoot

pmarin

joelsisk wrote:I have a rider on my home owner's policy... costs me $8/year for up to $3000 repairs to my computer. Best part is that it never expires! unless I stop paying it, obviously. The most amusing part is that it explicitly covers "water or other spilled liquid damage".

OK, sorry to help this off-topic go more off-topic, but.. wow, that's cool. But does it only cover computers in your house, or does it actually cover a laptop wherever you are? Funny story.. this guy, kind of reminds of me, well, he was in Europe and drove a rental car to visit his aunt in Switzerland, and stopped in the driveway, and got out of the car to meet my, um, this guy's relatives. And, well, the car had this smart-card thing instead of a key, and being a manual transmission, wasn't in "Park" and well, it was in neutral and brakes weren't on, and... after saying Hi to the relatives, I, or, um, this person realized the sound in the background was the car rolling backwards down the gentle slope into a creek! Oh, and there was an IBM Laptop in a bag at the back of the car, in the only part of the car that actually went underwater. The IBM people gladly repaired it for a considerable sum; not under the warranty, since that didn't cover "spills or other water damage."

pagreen

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pagreen

So, as I await the arrival of my boxed bountiful bottles of bliss, I ponder what is to follow. More sparklers seems highly unlikely. After all, the basic premise of this offering is sparklers for the 4th, which would have to be ordered by Wednesday to get here on time. My first thought was a group of still wines—Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Chardonnay. But, as someone noted, the write-up does not indicate that the Thursday offering will be from this winery. If it’s not from Mumm, then it will probably not be wine. Furthermore, as we are getting into the summer months, it is pretty unlikely that we will be seeing a perishable food product or one that is particularly heat-sensitive. This means no cheese or chocolate. What does this leave us? Another book is possible, but it seems more likely that it would be something to eat on the 4th with the wine. Nuts perhaps? We’ve seen pistachios here before. Maybe some new and different savory snack? No, I am going to stick my neck out and go nuts, so to speak.

joelsisk

pmarin wrote:OK, sorry to help this off-topic go more off-topic, but.. wow, that's cool. But does it only cover computers in your house, or does it actually cover a laptop wherever you are?

Hard to say, but I also have a rider for my wife's engagement ring, and I know that doesn't matter where she loses it. I'd guess that it would cover a laptop under "normal usage conditions", not sure if getting drowned in a car's trunk would qualify, but who knows?

joelsisk

pagreen wrote:So, as I await the arrival of my boxed bountiful bottles of bliss, I ponder what is to follow. More sparklers seems highly unlikely. After all, the basic premise of this offering is sparklers for the 4th, which would have to be ordered by Wednesday to get here on time. My first thought was a group of still wines—Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Chardonnay. But, as someone noted, the write-up does not indicate that the Thursday offering will be from this winery. If it’s not from Mumm, then it will probably not be wine. Furthermore, as we are getting into the summer months, it is pretty unlikely that we will be seeing a perishable food product or one that is particularly heat-sensitive. This means no cheese or chocolate. What does this leave us? Another book is possible, but it seems more likely that it would be something to eat on the 4th with the wine. Nuts perhaps? We’ve seen pistachios here before. Maybe some new and different savory snack? No, I am going to stick my neck out and go nuts, so to speak.

or, since some of the recent woot gatherings received tapenades or flavored oils, some of those?

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
bunnymasseuse wrote:
I plan on having a late rondevu with Mr. L in the kitchen with the golden ticket and a pair of glasses.

Sounds like you are playing Clue. At least it's not Mr. Bowtie in the library with the pruning shears.

Enjoy your rendezvous and your free bubbly.

ptoledo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptoledo

I should be saving money for when I go to Spain (damn dollar to euro conversion).

But I've been mulling on this for the past three days....AHHH...decisions.

Gig 'em Aggies!

cheron98

pagreen wrote:So, as I await the arrival of my boxed bountiful bottles of bliss, I ponder what is to follow. More sparklers seems highly unlikely. After all, the basic premise of this offering is sparklers for the 4th, which would have to be ordered by Wednesday to get here on time. My first thought was a group of still wines—Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Chardonnay. But, as someone noted, the write-up does not indicate that the Thursday offering will be from this winery. If it’s not from Mumm, then it will probably not be wine. Furthermore, as we are getting into the summer months, it is pretty unlikely that we will be seeing a perishable food product or one that is particularly heat-sensitive. This means no cheese or chocolate. What does this leave us? Another book is possible, but it seems more likely that it would be something to eat on the 4th with the wine. Nuts perhaps? We’ve seen pistachios here before. Maybe some new and different savory snack? No, I am going to stick my neck out and go nuts, so to speak.

Or MAYBE it's the wannabe dipping oils and tapenades! That would rock. Right, WD? Wouldn't that rock? That'd be great... *nudge* *hint*

myrlin

quality posts: 9 Private Messages myrlin
cheron98 wrote:Or MAYBE it's the wannabe dipping oils and tapenades! That would rock. Right, WD? Wouldn't that rock? That'd be great... *nudge* *hint*

after googling tapenades, i realized while still sounding tasty, they are not what i was hoping would go wtih "dipping oils." </gutter brain>

008 Barrels of Crud
183 Bottles of Juice

cheron98

myrlin wrote:after googling tapenades, i realized while still sounding tasty, they are not what i was hoping would go wtih "dipping oils." </gutter brain>

for bread. you put it on bread. or you can use it mixed with pasta, and then have a good crusty bread with the pasta to dip into the oils Mmm, carbs...