mipo777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mipo777

"You know you're a wootaholic when:

You're not going to order, but still compulsively check the boards to see where the discussion is going.

Yup. Me. Guilty."

Sheepishly guilty as well. Love to see a Blanc - Blanc on Thur though

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Here comes another admittedly daft question.

What exactly are these? Are these two reds and one white wine that are carbonated? Champagne-ish but not from champagne and 66 2/3 different color?

Once again, I appreciate all of your infinite wisdom oh wine.wootaholics.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
kylemittskus wrote:Here comes another admittedly daft question.

What exactly are these? Are these two reds and one white wine that are carbonated? Champagne-ish but not from champagne and 66 2/3 different color?

My knowledge is limited, but hopefully this helps - these are made in the traditional methode champagnoise (or something like that). 1 is red (the red) and the other two are white. Tho if memory serves, the Cuvee M Blue has a slightly reddish tint to it, but it's still definitely a white. I could be remembering wrong.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
coynedj wrote:You know you're a wootaholic when:

You're not going to order, but still compulsively check the boards to see where the discussion is going.

Yup. Me. Guilty.

I think that made me qualify before order #1 then. Eek! I need a hobby or something...

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
Cesare wrote:I have a 1993 Dom Perignon sitting around. Has not been stored optimally for most of its life and in fact had been stored poorly for part of its life. Maybe I'll open it one of these years and see how it is. Can champagne age that long?

I've got a Veuve Cliquot Grande Dame 1995 that someone gave me for graduation from college. I plan on having it at the comletion of MD/PhD circa 2012. That's supposed to be right in the middle of it's drinking window.

ptoledo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptoledo

Oh I'm on the fence...order now or wait for Thursday? Or both? Don't dare me...

Gig 'em Aggies!

thatguy314

mipo777 wrote:"You know you're a wootaholic when:

Yup. Me. Guilty."

Sheepishly guilty as well. Love to see a Blanc - Blanc on Thur though

Someone should blow all of our minds by making a Noir de Blancs.... I"m not sure how. Ferment chard with pinot skins? It sounds just crazy enough to work.

thrawn1020

thatguy314 wrote:Someone should blow all of our minds by making a Noir de Blancs.... I"m not sure how. Ferment chard with pinot skins? It sounds just crazy enough to work.

Isn't there that white wine that they make that actually comes out red because the pulp inside is red? I think I remember hearing about something like that...

Or it could be the other way around entirely. I really don't know.

BTW, I would consider labratting the Cuvee M Blue from the store, but it is ridiculously expensive. I looked, and it is the most expensive sparkler in the store...maybe I'll just get one tomorrow from the fedex man?

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

yellowroe

quality posts: 6 Private Messages yellowroe

Since I'm leaving on vacation this weekend, is it possible for wine woot to hold my orders until I get home?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
yellowroe wrote:Since I'm leaving on vacation this weekend, is it possible for wine woot to hold my orders until I get home?

You too? I'm still waiting to hear back from WD on my inquiry about it. I'm not so much worried about -this- week as I am about the Saxon Browns from last week, since my guess is that this week's stuff won't ship til next week, and I should be back for them when they arrive.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
thrawn1020 wrote:Isn't there that white wine that they make that actually comes out red because the pulp inside is red? I think I remember hearing about something like that...

Not quite. White wine is white wine because it comes from "white" (essentially colorless) juice. The juice of a teinturier -- the grapes with red meat you describe above -- is red so it can't produce a white wine. If it's vinified using white wine methods, the result would be at palest a rosé.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

nanook37

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nanook37

On the past offerings when a change would occur on Thursdays it was said that the new offering was going to be from the same winery, but this one does not. So the next offering may or may not be from Mumm and may or may not be sparkling - buy accordingly...

thrawn1020

iByron wrote:Not quite. White wine is white wine because it comes from "white" (essentially colorless) juice. The juice of a teinturier -- the grapes with red meat you describe above -- is red so it can't produce a white wine. If it's vinified using white wine methods, the result would be at palest a rosé.

Thanks for the extra information, I knew I'd heard it from someone here.

Edit: Can you send me more info about that wine you just linked up? I'm not familiar with it at all. You can send it to PM if you prefer.

And regarding the new offer on Thursday, while I can't remember whether or not they said specifically that the 2nd offer would be from the same winery, I would bet that it is because I'm assuming that makes it easier on the w00t gods.

bubblykindagal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bubblykindagal
kylemittskus wrote:Here comes another admittedly daft question.

This is a great question!

The Red M was always destined to be a 100% red sparkling wine. It started out much like a traditional still Pinot Noir by leaving the whole berries intact for about five days for color extraction during initial fermentation. After blending of the base wine lots, yeast and sugar were put into individual bottles with that still Pinot Noir for tirage aging and bubble creation. As the yeast decomposed (official winemaking term is autolysis), it lent a creaminess to the red wine. The longer the yeast aging time, or that a sparkling wine is en tirage, the greater the yeasty, bready, nutty flavors and a soft creaminess come to life - remember this concept, we will come back to it. That yeast is expelled during disgorging and the syrah based liquer is added. This is methode champenois.

The Reserve Brut, which is 60% Pinot Noir, was NOT left in tact with the skins, so no color extraction. The same process was used as above, with 36 months on the yeast. I get a nice fleshy Pinot Noir mouth feel, but rounded out with creamy brioche from the yeast. The 40% Chardonnay brings in the acidity and fruit tones.

The Cuvée M Blue has a bit more Chardonnay to Pinot Noir. The barest blush of pink is from the final dosage, not from initial fermentation. This is closer to 18 months yeast aging, so I get more of the peaches and cream from it.

This made me thirsty! I have a left over bottle of wine from the weekend I now need to go finish.

Cheers!
~Liz

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
thatguy314 wrote:I've got a Veuve Cliquot Grande Dame 1995 that someone gave me for graduation from college. I plan on having it at the comletion of MD/PhD circa 2012. That's supposed to be right in the middle of it's drinking window.

its. :-p
(and yes, I'll still be an ratholes in 2012)

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

kylemittskus

bubblykindagal wrote:This is a great question!

The Red M was always destined to be a 100% red sparkling wine. It started out much like a traditional still Pinot Noir by leaving the whole berries intact for about five days for color extraction during initial fermentation. After blending of the base wine lots, yeast and sugar were put into individual bottles with that still Pinot Noir for tirage aging and bubble creation. As the yeast decomposed (official winemaking term is autolysis), it lent a creaminess to the red wine. The longer the yeast aging time, or that a sparkling wine is en tirage, the greater the yeasty, bready, nutty flavors and a soft creaminess come to life - remember this concept, we will come back to it. That yeast is expelled during disgorging and the syrah based liquer is added. This is methode champenois.

The Reserve Brut, which is 60% Pinot Noir, was NOT left in tact with the skins, so no color extraction. The same process was used as above, with 36 months on the yeast. I get a nice fleshy Pinot Noir mouth feel, but rounded out with creamy brioche from the yeast. The 40% Chardonnay brings in the acidity and fruit tones.

The Cuvée M Blue has a bit more Chardonnay to Pinot Noir. The barest blush of pink is from the final dosage, not from initial fermentation. This is closer to 18 months yeast aging, so I get more of the peaches and cream from it.

This made me thirsty! I have a left over bottle of wine from the weekend I now need to go finish.

Cheers!
~Liz

You are amazing. So now, a question that is not only daft, but sounds daft two; actually, two of them. First, what does it/do they taste like? And second, is it worth it?

kylemittskus

Loweeel wrote:its. :-p
(and yes, I'll still be an ratholes in 2012)

Man! Going for his PhD/MD (one or the other or both at once?) and doesn't know grammar. What's a literature grad student to do in this world? But even worse, a lawyer found it first!

Loweeel

thatguy314 wrote:Someone should blow all of our minds by making a Noir de Blancs.... I"m not sure how. Ferment chard with pinot skins? It sounds just crazy enough to work.

You'd have to start with something like a Teinturier Blanc -- colored flesh but uncolored skins. Given that red grapes are exactly the opposite of that, I suspect such a thing is theoretically possible, like those bizarro oreos with the vanilla cookie and chocolate filling. Those are just WEIRD.

Actually, I'm not sure whether the ancestral grape is a white or a red. SB? Reds have the red/purple anthocyanins in the skin only; whites have it neither. Gris mutants like PG have just a bit in the skins. Given that the teinturier mutants have it in both (and that they seem to have occurred more than once in history), it seems like they're 2 separate (though linked) genes -- like eye color and hair color.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Loweeel

kylemittskus wrote:Man! Going for his PhD/MD (one or the other or both at once?) and doesn't know grammar. What's a literature grad student to do in this world? But even worse, a lawyer found it first!

Not just any lawyer, but his older brother, who has been correcting the youngling's grammar and orthography for over 2 decades now It's one of those small pleasures in life.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
Loweeel wrote:And how much would you pay in sales tax, assuming you could even find the cuvee m locally (which you can't)? Not even considering the woot discount.

Please bust out your 4-function calculator and do some elementary math before clayerhating on this deal.

You my friend, are wise in the way of the woot.

I've recently read the post on the reason for the $7 shipping charge.. and I'll be quite happy to have a $2 spent on keeping my wine.woot.com orders in good (drinkable) condition until they reach my doorstep. I spoke too soon. Also, I don't have elementary math skills anymore. I've forgotten them. Oh well. Woot is good to me.

Loweeel

kylemittskus wrote:You are amazing. So now, a question that is not only daft, but sounds daft two; actually, two of them. First, what does it/do they taste like? And second, is it worth it?

NULL POINTER EXCEPTION.

(please define your first and second uses of the word "it")

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

Loweeel

edthebedhead wrote:You my friend, are wise in the way of the woot.

I've recently read the post on the reason for the $7 shipping charge.. and I'll be quite happy to have a $2 spent on keeping my wine.woot.com orders in good (drinkable) condition until they reach my doorstep. I spoke too soon. Also, I don't have elementary math skills anymore. I've forgotten them. Oh well. Woot is good to me.

Sorry for the tone I just get sick of seeing the multitudes of clayerhating posts each week. The internet aggravates me at times, but at least I'm not bhomicidal (not a typo).

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
Loweeel wrote:Sorry for the tone I just get sick of seeing the multitudes of clayerhating posts each week. The internet aggravates me at times, but at least I'm not bhomicidal (not a typo).

This is not a problem. I left a dumb message. Now I just need to buy the wine for 49 + 7. this is sounding as thought i has some quality potential...
ps. i can't get to your wine cellar on your signature.

kylemittskus

Loweeel wrote:NULL POINTER EXCEPTION.

(please define your first and second uses of the word "it")

First it = the wine although I understand that it refers to a singular entity and the wine is 3, however, wine is grammatically androgynous as far as plurality. The second it refers to the package deal when compared to the price. Now give me answers or my law school girlfriend will come after you and I will most certainly lose my proverbial shirt.

bubblykindagal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bubblykindagal
Loweeel wrote:You'd have to start with something like a Teinturier Blanc -- colored flesh but uncolored skins. Given that red grapes are exactly the opposite of that, I suspect such a thing is theoretically possible, like those bizarro oreos with the vanilla cookie and chocolate filling. Those are just WEIRD.

ITA, what the heck were they thinking?

kylemittskus wrote:You are amazing. So now, a question that is not only daft, but sounds daft two; actually, two of them. First, what does it/do they taste like? And second, is it worth it?

For the taste question, we can go into all the fancy descriptors if you like. Let's keep it simple though.

Red M - Berries and cream. Think Pinot Noir first, sparkling wine second.

Reserve Brut - breakfast at Bouchon Bakery in Yountville - toasted brioche, a side of sliced red apples and a wedge of triple cream brie. You feel like a million bucks sitting in the sunny court yard devouring it, but it only cost $5. This is how I feel about Reserve Brut. By the way, next time you visit the Napa Valley, make sure you go there at least once. Most guests to the Valley go back every day after they discover it.

Blue M - ripe, juicy peaches and cream. Simple, elegant and so much fun.

For your second question...well, I am certainly biased - I think Mumm Napa offers a great QPR, for lack of a better term. I originally joined Mumm Napa in 1999 a year after graduating college - so much for being a CFP - and would not have stuck around if I did not think it was worth it. It is really up to the holders of the Golden Ticket to answer this one.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
edthebedhead wrote:This is not a problem. I left a dumb message. Now I just need to buy the wine for 49 + 7. this is sounding as thought i has some quality potential...
ps. i can't get to your wine cellar on your signature.

You probably need to register/login to CellarTracker. Then you should be able to see it.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

dodongo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dodongo

First of all, let me disclose as an unabashed Mumm devotee (I'm going to pick up my most recent club shipment on Wednesday). So with that in mind, I'd like to piggyback on what Liz said about the wines...

1. Cuvee M Red. I actually find it hard to believe this wine gets a sec dosage (meaning it's relatively sweet in the domain of sparkling wines). The tannins in the Pinot Noir from which the wine is fermented and the Syrah dosage leave it feeling very robust. I understand why the sugar is added, though, because with that much tannin AND the effervescence, this could be an intolerably tart, mouth-puckering wine otherwise. I really, really like this one a lot and recommend it heavily at Thanksgiving. I'm especially impressed by how you can feel the 'gears shift' from the PN front palate to a bit of the Syrah at the end. Honestly, those of you having this shipped to you outside of CA, this bad boy alone is $30 at the winery... And it's worth the treat.

2. Reserve Brut. They served this at a get-together last year along with like tuna (or some white fish) salad served on thin slices of cucumber. And I'll be damned if that wine does not pair excellently with cucumber. I have no idea why they thought to do this, but I've tried it again myself, and yeah, it's a dead ringer with the cuke, and I don't even like cucumber.

3. Cuvee M Blue. I actually don't care for this wine on its own. But don't let that fool you... The. Best. Mimosa. Wine. Ever. We're spoiled brats here in California to have oranges right off the tree, but if you can't do that, splurge on one of the more expensive fresh-squeezed containers at the supermarket. Honestly, that's a little bit of heaven in a glass.

I think the QPR on these remains excellent, especially if you find the right pairings for them. And just on a flat-out bargain-basement level, this is substantially less than you could get them from the winery. Even if other outlets sell the available wines for less, I wouldn't think you could come too close to this price outside Woot.

thatguy314

kylemittskus wrote:Man! Going for his PhD/MD (one or the other or both at once?) and doesn't know grammar. What's a literature grad student to do in this world?

I dunno... Study something useful?

I kid, I kid.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Loweeel wrote:Sorry for the tone I just get sick of seeing the multitudes of clayerhating posts each week. The internet aggravates me at times, but at least I'm not bhomicidal (not a typo).

Hmmm ... quick google on "bhomicidal" brings up a couple of links with the phrase "bhomicidal lesbian terrorist", and a bunch of garbage (looks like some sort of code). Are you trying to tell us something, L? You're not a transgender Zohan, are you? Cuz I think I am fairly good at assessing people, and I absolutely never would have guessed this about you!

CT | | | | | |

Loweeel

jwhite6114 wrote:Hmmm ... quick google on "bhomicidal" brings up a couple of links with the phrase "bhomicidal lesbian terrorist", and a bunch of garbage (looks like some sort of code). Are you trying to tell us something, L? You're not a transgender Zohan, are you? Cuz I think I am fairly good at assessing people, and I absolutely never would have guessed this about you!

think of the "bho-" prefix and its use on wine.woot.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

eileenfh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eileenfh

Just ordered! It has been over 100 for days now here in Texas so... please put it in lots of ice!! Happy Fourth! Yea!!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ptoledo wrote:Oh I'm on the fence...order now or wait for Thursday? Or both? Don't dare me...

I TRIPLE dog dare you

Oh, that's right, I ignored dare etiquette and skipped the double dog dare.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mplarkin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mplarkin

In for two. Even if I don't like a bottle or two, these will make nice gifts. never really enjoyed the red sparkling that much, but that may just be a case of it being so much more different than I'm used to.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Loweeel wrote:think of the "bho-" prefix and its use on wine.woot.

yeah, Mr. White, even I guessed that one, and i'm ESL, baby!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

bhodilee

Are you saying I have anger management issues when it comes to stupidity? Cause you'd be right, but I just wanna make sure that's about me and not some strange BSG thing that I wouldn't understand, like frak.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

Loweeel

bhodilee wrote:Are you saying I have anger management issues when it comes to stupidity? Cause you'd be right, but I just wanna make sure that's about me and not some strange BSG thing that I wouldn't understand, like frak.

Yes, I am. And yes, I do too.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

bhodilee

jwhite6114 wrote:Hmmm ... quick google on "bhomicidal" brings up a couple of links with the phrase "bhomicidal lesbian terrorist", and a bunch of garbage (looks like some sort of code). Are you trying to tell us something, L? You're not a transgender Zohan, are you? Cuz I think I am fairly good at assessing people, and I absolutely never would have guessed this about you!

For the rest of this week, you all refer to me as the bhomicidal lesbian terrorist, I demand it.

jwhite6114

Loweeel wrote:think of the "bho-" prefix and its use on wine.woot.

I was thinking that, too, but I guess I usually dismiss his rants as being on account of his Kimbo Slice beard.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

kylemittskus wrote: The second it refers to the package deal when compared to the price.

Try this. You may find different prices by shopping around, but this is at least a starting point on answering your question.

CT | | | | | |

bhodilee

jwhite6114 wrote:I was thinking that, too, but I guess I usually dismiss his rants as being on account of his Kimbo Slice beard.

Regrettably gone, I've been keeping up appearances since the marriage. Plus I paid six bucks to have the beard lined and I'm way too cheap to not keep it up now. I mean it was SIX BUCKS, that's like two euro cents.