MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
iByron wrote:Keep quiet. Mumm's the word maybe?

Last offering was in December.

Definitely would fit in with the "quiet" part. Forgot about them. And people have been asking for sparkling wine.

I think it's an excellent guess.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:Not sure what's "quiet" about a bulldog, or what "starchy food" might be involved, though. Still thinking sake, despite SB's hint about the hint.

Probably just WD picking on the Rice team .... Cretans (as stupid?) and Starchy for Rice.

iByron probably has it with his Mumm guess.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
MarkDaSpark wrote:Definitely would fit in with the "quiet" part. Forgot about them. And people have been asking for sparkling wine.

I think it's an excellent guess.

Mumm Napa also makes three still wines: a Pinot Gris, a Pinot Noir, and a Syrah.

That said, a lot of us have been clamoring for some Cuvée M Red.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
iByron wrote:Mumm Napa also makes three still wines: a Pinot Gris, a Pinot Noir, and a Syrah.

That said, a lot of us have been clamoring for some Cuvée M Red.

I could do with some Pinot Noir.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

WD's been quiet. Either we got it with the SakéOne or the Mumm's guesses.

Or he's off drunk celebrating his alma mater's trouncing of Rice .....

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Please, please, please let it be Mumm! I'm out of w.w sparklies right now. Would love to get some direct shipped, instead of going to the local mega-wine store to get my Cuvee M fix. Maybe a mixed Cuvee M and Cuvee M Red offer???

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Wow. Really Really quiet around here for a Sunday night...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:Wow. Really Really quiet around here for a Sunday night...

Yeah, I expected to check in and see myself behind by like 3 or 4 pages. But it only took me like 5 minutes to catch up. In either case, I'm not waiting up for the offer. And if it's either Sake or Mumm, I'm not going to be buying so that saves the wallet for yet another week. I actually held out during the double-SB week, and another week of doing so will really put me at ease.

G'nite all!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Yeah, I expected to check in and see myself behind by like 3 or 4 pages. But it only took me like 5 minutes to catch up. In either case, I'm not waiting up for the offer. And if it's either Sake or Mumm, I'm not going to be buying so that saves the wallet for yet another week. I actually held out during the double-SB week, and another week of doing so will really put me at ease.

G'nite all!

You'll be sorry for holding out during the SB week!!!!

MoscowMidnight

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MoscowMidnight

I join those in hoping it is Mumms.....we've been needing a sparkler....perfect for any time but what better time for a "sparkler" than the upcoming 4th of July?

laurmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurmom

Wow. Quiet around here. If it is Sake or Mumm, I'll keep my cc in my wallet. I am SO enjoying my Cycles Gladiator Cab right now... wow. YUMMMMMMM! See you next door in a mintue!

MarkDaSpark

laurmom wrote:Wow. Quiet around here. If it is Sake or Mumm, I'll keep my cc in my wallet. I am SO enjoying my Cycles Gladiator Cab right now... wow. YUMMMMMMM! See you next door in a mintue!

It was the Mumm. 3 pack of Red, White, & Blue (Label that is).

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare
iByron wrote:Keep quiet. Mumm's the word maybe?

Last offering was in December.

Good job!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm

Cross posted from the RatPack thread:

Ugh! The agony! I was the second lab rat for the Semillon, but I was out of town when it arrived. I feel that I have betrayed my duty to the wine woot community and can only hope for forgiveness and another opportunity to someday show my loyalty to my fellow wooters. I will open it and taste tonight. Better late than never, right?

Sorry for letting y'all down.

more than enough wine.woots!

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm

Well, here goes . . . I got home about an hour and a half ago, so the bottle is relatively chilled (although, I think I might like it a bit more chilled). The color is very pale, like a sauvignon blanc, and even when I first opened the bottle, I smelled pears, pears, pears. Almost like the sugary syrup in canned pears, but I digress.

I take my first sip and am pleasantly surprised that the taste does not match the sweet, syrupy smell. I get pears, spice, maybe cola?, and a creaminess that coats the tongue. I swirl and smell and taste again, and I'm definitely smelling a cola type smell, maybe even anise, with the spice. Still, the overarching smell is pears for me, and I love it.

The flavors also develop something more acidic on the second try. Perhaps citrus? lime? or grapefruit? Not sure which, but the acidity is really nice in balancing out the sweeter pear tastes. There's also a little bit of a minerality taste going on, but very faint. Kind of like a kinder, gentler savignon blanc in that respect.

I'm really enjoying this wine; it's got lots of complex flavors going on and nothing seems out of balance on it. All in all, a super white wine.

As a side note, it's nice to taste a single-varietal semillon, so that I can place those characteristics in what is probably my favorite white wine--St. Supery's Virtu, which is a blend of sauvignon blanc and semillon (about 50/50). I always thought I was just a sauv blanc junkie, but I now have a great appreciation for semillon on its own, as well. So, thank you WD, and thank you wooters, for *hopefully* forgiving my late labrat report. I promise to never again travel immediately after wooting.

*update*: hubby came down to try a glass, too, and he also gets peaches and something floral. I kind of get the floral bit too; his exact words were "like a viogner", so take that as you may.

more than enough wine.woots!

jokofoto

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jokofoto

Have any East Coasters received tracking info for their Saxon Brown orders yet? Mine is shipping to D.C., tracking says billing info received 6/18, but no update since then.

I know they're starting the consolidated shipments (though I think this was the week before the $7 shipping kicked in), so I'm wondering if that's it?

myrlin

quality posts: 9 Private Messages myrlin
jokofoto wrote:Have any East Coasters received tracking info for their Saxon Brown orders yet? Mine is shipping to D.C., tracking says billing info received 6/18, but no update since then.

I know they're starting the consolidated shipments (though I think this was the week before the $7 shipping kicked in), so I'm wondering if that's it?

I got tracking for this at the same time as my Mumm. Neither have moved yet. Still don't have an estimated delivery date. Mumm was promised before the 4th, so I would expect them to arrive together. Chicago reporting in btw.

008 Barrels of Crud
183 Bottles of Juice

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
jokofoto wrote:Have any East Coasters received tracking info for their Saxon Brown orders yet? Mine is shipping to D.C., tracking says billing info received 6/18, but no update since then.

They're probably all hangin' out on the reefer trucks, trucking across the country to the EC. UPS doesn't have them yet. So, there's no update available. You will see an update when theyhit the UPS system (probably in NY). Or when it shows up on your doorstep. SURPRISE!!!!

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

kldavis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kldavis

Chicago here, as well...originally got tracking number on the 18th, but first update to UPS site came late this evening:

ELMSFORD, NY, US 06/25/2008 10:19 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

Rescheduled Delivery: 06/27/2008

myrlin

quality posts: 9 Private Messages myrlin
kldavis wrote:Chicago here, as well...originally got tracking number on the 18th, but first update to UPS site came late this evening:

ELMSFORD, NY, US 06/25/2008 10:19 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

Rescheduled Delivery: 06/27/2008

Same with me, should arrive with my mumm tomorrow.

008 Barrels of Crud
183 Bottles of Juice

Blackneto

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Blackneto

my tasting notes (not very helpful)
the Syrah rose... goes really good when mixed with seven-up

The Sémillon, now that's yummy.

sorry for those looking for insight. i'm a man of few words.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

My tasting notes, x-posted from CT:

Saxon Brown 2007 Semillon

Crisp and bright nose; citrusy acidity, a hint of sparkle, minerals.

Tasted, wow. Much sweeter - a semisweet, almost - richer. Gorgeous, velvety mouthfeel and luscious full body for a white - amazing. No sparkle, but a glow of ripe fruits, almost like eisswein. APRICOT, white peach and ripe apple notes, as well as some juicy dripping pear and pineapple. A few refreshing grassy notes offset the deep fruit. Some heat in the nose, but not unpleasantly, just a bit forceful. Acidity is soft, subdued, and those mineral notes I sniffed must be entirely overwhelmed by the overripe fruit. This is like a Chardonnay in body and depth, but with intense syrupy fruit instead of oak in the flavour profile, and just well...many times better (I dislike Chardonnay). Typically, I like very light whites, but colour me converted!

Note: I drank half the bottled, corked it, and 48 hours later drank the rest. Despite being kept in my fridge and corked the entire time, it aged quite poorly, becoming quite unpleasantly acidic and vinegary, though it was still drinkable. I also think this would be great for cooking, with chicken especially.

89 Points

Saxon Brown 2006 Syrah Rosé

Appearance: Peachy-orange, slightly opaque, muddled darkish-medium pink. Muddy and sort of dirty looking.

Sniffed: Very dry and brightly acidic. Darker fruit - plum. But fairly flat overall; one dimensional.

Taste: Soft and full! Not very acidic or bright as it is sniffed, but muted. Very little heat (none on the palate or tongue, but some in the throat and nose, bizzarely) virtually no tannins and no texture as a result. Thin bodied and very light mouthfeel. A bit sour, with a bitter tinge. Plummy. This is more like juice than wine, almost. Disappointingly simplistic.

79 Points

So, quite a difference! I drink a ton of rosé and I must say, I was sorely disappointed. But the surprisingly excellent Semillon mostly made up for it.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

mozart23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mozart23

In tomorrow's Washington Post, the authors of the Tastings column interview Jeff Gaffner and they talk in particular about the Cricket Creek Semillon (albeit the 2006 vintage).

You can find the article here