thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

I know this is a thread hijack, and that many around here find Gary V a little offputting, but since Jeff Gaffner is around, I thought I would ask about it anyway.
The 2006 Black Kite Pinot Noir was reviewed today, Friday, on Winelibrary, in the first Mailing List show. Of course it was reviewed well, but given that the question of the show is really how many of these wines will continue to be available to the public, and considering that the Black Kite was produced at over 500 cases and the Saxon Brown's that are on sale this week were in the 300 range, do you know how likely it is that these wines will not be available in the future except on a mailing list? Obviously I know that you may not be able to comment on it, and would respect that, but any help that could tip people who are considering it one way or the other would be much appreciated.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
thrawn1020 wrote:I know this is a thread hijack, and that many around here find Gary V a little offputting, but since Jeff Gaffner is around, I thought I would ask about it anyway.
The 2006 Black Kite Pinot Noir was reviewed today, Friday, on Winelibrary, in the first Mailing List show. Of course it was reviewed well, but given that the question of the show is really how many of these wines will continue to be available to the public, and considering that the Black Kite was produced at over 500 cases and the Saxon Brown's that are on sale this week were in the 300 range, do you know how likely it is that these wines will not be available in the future except on a mailing list? Obviously I know that you may not be able to comment on it, and would respect that, but any help that could tip people who are considering it one way or the other would be much appreciated.

oh, yes, didn't y'all know?!? Jeff dones't just make killer Semillons, Syrahs & Zinfandels. he brews a mean batch of Pinots as well.

my (clearly unhelpful but well-intentioned) suggestion to you, thrawn, is to join the Moon Valley Wine club, baby!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

thrawn1020

themostrighteous wrote:oh, yes, didn't y'all know?!? Jeff dones't just make killer Semillons, Syrahs & Zinfandels. he brews a mean batch of Pinots as well.

my (clearly unhelpful but well-intentioned) suggestion to you, thrawn, is to join the Moon Valley Wine club, baby!

Yeah, but in my first year of wine consumption, while I'm well on my way to over a $500 year(and it's all your fault, woot), I don't know that I have $300 of that to commit to a wine club yet, so there's the reason for asking. And I welcome the well-intentioned plug, though clearly unhelpful it may be.

You can consider me properly envious.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
thrawn1020 wrote:Yeah, but in my first year of wine consumption, while I'm well on my way to over a $500 year(and it's all your fault, woot), I don't know that I have $300 of that to commit to a wine club yet, so there's the reason for asking. And I welcome the well-intentioned plug, though clearly unhelpful it may be.

so considered. and no plug here: my only "financial interest" in SBW is that they continue to be sufficiently successful to continue to make wines that i enjoy.

you want helpful? the Black Kite is only available from SBW according to wine-searcher.com. other SBW Pinots are available elsewhere but none particularly broadly.

my (even more helpful) suggestion to you would be to invest $30 in a wine-searcher pro subscription if you want to determine if & where you can find hard-to-find wines.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

thrawn1020

themostrighteous wrote:so considered. and no plug here: my only "financial interest" in SBW is that they continue to be sufficiently successful to continue to make wines that i enjoy.

you want helpful? the Black Kite is only available from SBW according to wine-searcher.com. other SBW Pinots are available elsewhere but none particularly broadly.

my (even more helpful) suggestion to you would be to invest $30 in a wine-searcher pro subscription if you want to determine if & where you can find hard-to-find wines.

Ah, but just saying it's a plug doesn't require a financial interest. It can be merely good-natured plugging as well.

Again with the expensive services, though! Remember that my annual income is in the <4k/yr disposable range, and since I haven't bought more than a $15 bottle of wine yet, that's two whole bottles! My question, leading as it was, was meant to gauge the potential for a future wine.woot experience, when I'm more financially stable and can afford to borrow against my future children.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Last wooter to woot: JOATMON

In for one. Because a deal like this is it's own two-pack. Because I have to cut a really big check for the rpm tour. Because I have to buy the sound recorder for the trip. Because....

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
thrawn1020 wrote:Yeah, but in my first year of wine consumption, while I'm well on my way to over a $500 year(and it's all your fault, woot), I don't know that I have $300 of that to commit to a wine club yet, so there's the reason for asking. And I welcome the well-intentioned plug, though clearly unhelpful it may be.

Light weight. If I could get it down to $500, I might be able to admit how much I spend. As it is, I pretend it doesn't exist. It does get to be pricey quickly. And then you buy bottles that you want to hold on to for several years, so even though you have stock, you don't want to touch it. Explain that to a spouse who doesn't drink it at all -- "Sure, honey, there ARE 100 bottles in the cellar, but only 10 - 12 that I can drink. So it makes perfect sense that I need to buy more, now!"

CT | | | | | |

thrawn1020

jwhite6114 wrote:Light weight. If I could get it down to $500, I might be able to admit how much I spend. As it is, I pretend it doesn't exist. It does get to be pricey quickly. And then you buy bottles that you want to hold on to for several years, so even though you have stock, you don't want to touch it. Explain that to a spouse who doesn't drink it at all -- "Sure, honey, there ARE 100 bottles in the cellar, but only 10 - 12 that I can drink. So it makes perfect sense that I need to buy more, now!"

Lush. If I had more money to spend on it, I probably would. As it stands though, anytime you want to kill off a few of those 10-12 you've got just taking up space, I'm sure I can be convinced.

And how do you all do the smileys? I can't figure that out.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
thrawn1020 wrote:Lush. If I had more money to spend on it, I probably would. As it stands though, anytime you want to kill off a few of those 10-12 you've got just taking up space, I'm sure I can be convinced.

And how do you all do the smileys? I can't figure that out.

Some smilies are automatic. Like :) =

You can get a list of these here.

Others are actually images. Some can be found on the link above, and others can be found all over the net. Best directions for making images appear is to copy the text on the page linked above for each image. You can also get editing help for the woot forums here. To go straight the instructions for images click here.

CT | | | | | |

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

Labrat update: Syrah Rose is less sweet/fruity tonight, still cloying, still sticks to the glass but sends down spindly legs that are overlaid on the main liquid sticking to it -- I'm sure that makes no sense to nobody but me -- and has some sort of savory flavor that I did not detect last night but cannot identify. I'm still working through it. Was okay with halibut and avocado salsa leftovers, not fantastic. Best to drink it the first night.

Link to photos from last night!

And now the wine is gone, I still have no idea what the savory flavor was, but I'm still happy. Think it was best a little while after coming out of the fridge, maybe 10-15 minutes. I can't imagine anybody buying this wine regretting it as long as they use it for a warm summer evening.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

WD,

Since tomorrow is Father's Day, how about some early clues for tomorrow night's offering?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
oppsie wrote:Labrat update: Syrah Rose is less sweet/fruity tonight, still cloying, still sticks to the glass but sends down spindly legs that are overlaid on the main liquid sticking to it -- I'm sure that makes no sense to nobody but me -- and has some sort of savory flavor that I did not detect last night but cannot identify. I'm still working through it. Was okay with halibut and avocado salsa leftovers, not fantastic. Best to drink it the first night.

Link to photos from last night!\

And now the wine is gone, I still have no idea what the savory flavor was, but I'm still happy. Think it was best a little while after coming out of the fridge, maybe 10-15 minutes. I can't imagine anybody buying this wine regretting it as long as they use it for a warm summer evening.

Great writing oppsie!

BTW, you know what's a perfect rosé pairing? Salade Niçoise. Really, try it especially dining al fresco in a sidewalk café. The wine should be well chilled at the start. As your meal is disappearing, the wine warms up and its flavors become more pronounced as the salad flavors begin to meld. It's one of those dining experiences you need to have at least once.

Cobb salad would be good, too I think, but Niçoise is a bit more earthy.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
MarkDaSpark wrote:WD,

Since tomorrow is Father's Day, how about some early clues for tomorrow night's offering?

Mark-

"A" for effort. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

MarkDaSpark wrote:WD,

Happy Father's Day to those father's out there.

Best keep quiet on any clue today.

Now if you will excuse me, i have an 11:00 pst lunch meeting in Omaha with a cretain starchy food.

hockeyhabit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hockeyhabit
Winedavid39 wrote:Happy Father's Day to those father's out there.

Now if you will excuse me, i have an 11:00 pst lunch meeting in Omaha with a cretain starchy food.

Sake?

MarkDaSpark

SakéOne's Moonstone line? Each is $11, so all four would be $44 online, so price drop to $29.99 on Wine.Woot?

Rice is a starch available around Omaha, and the moon is quiet. (I know, I know. A stretch)

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

txmusicman49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages txmusicman49

There can't be that many Cretains making starchy food in Omaha.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

11:00 pst would be 1:00 in Omaha. Not suure if that gets us anywhere.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

iByron

The College Baseball World Series (day 2) begins at 2pm ET/11am PT in Omaha today.

Rice is one of the teams playing. Sake has already been guessed

I can't imagine that it was that easy.

Your Private WIneaux

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
iByron wrote:The College Baseball World Series (day 2) begins at 2pm ET/11am PT in Omaha today.

WD's Fresno State Bulldogs are the team that matters. He played in the CWS for them a couple of years ago. Look elsewhere for your clue.

coynedj

SonomaBouliste wrote:WD's Fresno State Bulldogs are the team that matters. He played in the CWS for them a couple of years ago. Look elsewhere for your clue.

Hmmm... I thought the sake guess was the winner - rice as the starchy food, the "quiet" part maybe even being a play on the Owls team name.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

txmusicman49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages txmusicman49
coynedj wrote:Hmmm... I thought the sake guess was the winner - rice as the starchy food, the "quiet" part maybe even being a play on the Owls team name.

I'm watching Rice against Fresno State in the CWS right now. Sake may be it.

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
iByron wrote:Great writing oppsie!

BTW, you know what's a perfect rosé pairing? Salade Niçoise. Really, try it especially dining al fresco in a sidewalk café. The wine should be well chilled at the start. As your meal is disappearing, the wine warms up and its flavors become more pronounced as the salad flavors begin to meld. It's one of those dining experiences you need to have at least once.

Cobb salad would be good, too I think, but Niçoise is a bit more earthy.

iByron

blech, olives. That's why I never order nicoise.

rco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rco
SonomaBouliste wrote:WD's Fresno State Bulldogs are the team that matters. He played in the CWS for them a couple of years ago. Look elsewhere for your clue.

Ambulneo Vineyards is named for the American bulldog-neopolitan mastiff cross. They make several chardonnays and very highly rated pinot noirs, including Bulldog Pinot Noir. These wines retail much higher than the normal ww price range. If WD got a deal on these, it would be much more exciting than sake.

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
rco wrote:it would be much more exciting than sake.

Picking up after a Great Dane would be more exciting than another round of Sake. 'cept, the sake guys are fun.

coynedj

rco wrote:Ambulneo Vineyards is named for the American bulldog-neopolitan mastiff cross. They make several chardonnays and very highly rated pinot noirs, including Bulldog Pinot Noir. These wines retail much higher than the normal ww price range. If WD got a deal on these, it would be much more exciting than sake.

Not sure what's "quiet" about a bulldog, or what "starchy food" might be involved, though. Still thinking sake, despite SB's hint about the hint.

inkwench

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkwench
iByron wrote:The College Baseball World Series (day 2) begins at 2pm ET/11am PT in Omaha today.

Sake strikes me as a reasonable guess, too.

But really--CWS tonight at 7pm, when UNC tries to prove that the third time is the charm!

Go Heels!

In inverse and not complete order. Rinfrescante. Pepper Bridge. Saxon Brown. Monkey Prize. Vina Robles. Ty Caton Tytanium (always!). Roshambo. Polyphemus. Donati Family. Poizon. Montinore. Kent Rasumussen. Mumm Napa. Boss Monster. Iron Horse. Albino Rhino. White Zeppelin, Buttonwood Farm, 8-Bit, Ty Caton Racchus, Twas!

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

While we're waiting for inspiration or another clue, apparently they're making a movie about the 1976 Paris tastings: "Bottle Shock" Trailer here.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

You know, I would keep quiet if Polyphemus was lurking about, he's certainly a monster, maybe even a Cretan.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

are you in Omaha? If so you HAVE to go to Zesto's across the street from stadium and eat everything. It's tradition. Also, try Johnny's Steakhouse and Piccolo Pete's Steakhouses. Omaha Traditions. Anthony's is also very good and my Uncle is the head chef there.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

coynedj wrote:11:00 pst would be 1:00 in Omaha. Not suure if that gets us anywhere.

Fresno State played Rice at 1. Obviously WD is a Bulldog Fan. It could be Sake, or it could be he just wants us to shut up and leave him be as he watches the game.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

Nope, played in the super regionals, didn't make it to Omaha. If he ever comes here though I'll hook him up proper.

bhodilee

Lighter wrote:Picking up after a Great Dane would be more exciting than another round of Sake. 'cept, the sake guys are fun.

And they make great Sake they don't ship to Nebraska. Fools

iByron

coynedj wrote:Not sure what's "quiet" about a bulldog, or what "starchy food" might be involved, though. Still thinking sake, despite SB's hint about the hint.

I think SB was fairly clear that my guess and others surrounding rice were wrong.

And that would be way too easy.

Besides, the clues are almost always about the winery name not the product. When they're not about the name, they're about someone who works for the winery.

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

bhodilee wrote:Fresno State played Rice at 1. Obviously WD is a Bulldog Fan. It could be Sake, or it could be he just wants us to shut up and leave him be as he watches the game.

Yeah, that second part. The game is a red herring. The "quiet" part is the clue.

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

Best keep quiet on any clue today...

Keep quiet. Mumm's the word maybe?

Last offering was in December.

Your Private WIneaux

cooneym11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cooneym11

Reininger 2002 Mr. Owl's Red?

Looks like WD's Bulldogs killed the Owls 17-5

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

Hoping for some big reds tonight, possible 3 pack, or some Riesling (what a difference in varietals eh)

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

WD - when you get back, please check your PM.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

cooneym11 wrote:Reininger 2002 Mr. Owl's Red?

Looks like WD's Bulldogs killed the Owls 17-5

Fresno State hammers Rice in College World Series

"The Bulldogs, the first No. 4 regional seed to make it to Omaha, broke open Sunday's game against their one-time Western Athletic Conference nemesis with a seven-run fourth inning.
They didn't stop there, rolling up the highest number of runs allowed by Rice this season on their way to their 12th win in 14 games. "