jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
eric9tx wrote:I guess I should have been more clear. In the blue "notes" area, it says shipping for 2 bottles. No biggie. I'm not raggin' on ya. We appreciate the effort. BTW... don't you ever sleep?

Ahh! I will fix the notes -- thanks!

As for the sleep thing ... why bother?

CT | | | | | |

LadyBlueDragon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LadyBlueDragon

[quote postid="2309717" user="JOATMON"]Ow! Ow ow ow!

This has nothing to do with wine, but having had both kidneys and done labor.. got to say, kidney stones actually hurt more. It's that constant stabbing pains instead of waves of pain, and you can get really nice drugs for labor pains while kidney stone drugs just lessen it. Plus, the cracker jack prize for labor pains is a cute armload of aww... while the kidney stones, you get a sample jar of pure evil.

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
bhodilee wrote:I'd bribe WD with the Gelato if I were him.

tmr is way too kind, and I think summer shipping is even more of an issue with gelato. ;)

Off topic: How cool are these glasses?

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

These sound pretty interesting, a syrah rose is really intersting to me. I've spoken about my friends Grenache Dry Rose before, What is the residual sugar on these two fellas?

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

jgaffner

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jgaffner
iByron wrote:Ooh. Sémillon! I've never had a dry one (only experience is in Sauternes or similar style dessert wines) so I'm interested in how this comes out.

And a good summer rosé from a Syrah master can't be a bad thing!

Mr. Gaff, would the rosé be more of a Provencal style, a Spanish style (admittedly with a different grape), a "New World" style, or something totally different?

I would say more Tavel like.

jgaffner

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jgaffner
paryb wrote:These sound pretty interesting, a syrah rose is really intersting to me. I've spoken about my friends Grenache Dry Rose before, What is the residual sugar on these two fellas?

Both wines are dry. The yeast aging aka Surlies gives them a rich creamy texture to go along the fruit.

JudyL1118

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JudyL1118
themostrighteous wrote:just my wineaux impressions for your consideration until Jeff has the opportunity to answer your questions directly...

i've had the Syrah Rose & a vintage sibling (different vineyard) of the Semillon. as for the Syrah Rose, i think that it is definitely best served slightly chilled (w/ the emphasis on slightly) & that it is definitely ready to drink now. as for the Semillon, i have not had this particular wine, but judging from its vintage sibling, my guess would be that you would likely enjoy it at anywhere from room temperature (which is how i prefer to drink fuller-bodied whites) to chilled & that it would likely be ready to drink now.

hope that helps - and, Jeff, please correct any of the above impressions.

EDIT: Jeff's response below.

Why, thank you darlin'! That was a most helpful and thoughtful response - and one I really appreciate.

Who hides behind that wine.woot user name?
Please post a quick bio on Getting to Know You
Join us on Facebook, too!

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
Walstib wrote:tmr is way too kind, and I think summer shipping is even more of an issue with gelato. ;)

Depends on whether you're in into BDSMWWD (that's "while wine drinking" not "with winedavid")

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
jwhite6114 wrote:And whoever told you that you were not a smart ass was lying.

well, i lie to myself ALL the time - it's the only thing that keeps me sane.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

LBISurfer2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LBISurfer2

Not regarding this particular offer, but I ordered the SB two-pack on the tenth and it just got here 15 minutes ago. Both bottles were cool to the touch and I pulled the foil off the tops of all 4 and the corks looked ship-shape. Thanks WD and Jeff, I can't wait to indulge... and I'm about to crumble on this deal. The semillon sounds very interesting... Thanks all

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec
JOATMON wrote:Ow! Ow ow ow!

Been there, done that. I've been told kidney stones pain is comprable to childbirth and stab wounds. I'm going to take their word for it; I'm not going to do the comparison personally (and, in once case I'm incapable).

Good luck with that, and I hope they figure out what you can do to avoid it in the future. Me, I drink lots of water all the time, and try to keep my potassium citrate consumption up (Crystal Light).

Jeff, sorry to hear of your kidney stone attack.
Jeff and/or WD: It had been my plan to pick up the 2 bottle offering last night but flooding issues here in Iowa distracted me beyond the midnight hour. I am going to purchase the 4 pak but would love to get the zin and syrah if there is any left.
I sand bagged my basement last night and this morning to protect my cellar so it will have a safe home upon arrival.

themostrighteous

i gotz two things to say to youz:

jwhite6114 wrote:Thanks! So between your answer and TMR's google'ing, it seems that the major reason is about efficiencies in keeping the grapes cool between picking and pressing.

see Peter's added commentary on this above.

jwhite6114 wrote:It is not so much about some magical benefit to the wine by having the grapes picked during the right hour so that their chakra aligns with the Earth's mood and a harmonious spirit is raised in the field, which seduces the winemaker and becomes the his muse and thus he is inspired to produce the most incredible wine of the past century.

you must be thinking of biodynamic winemaking "techniques" (if one can apply such a scientific sounding word to such nonsense).

themostrighteous

jgaffner wrote:I would say more Tavel like.

for the uninitiated (i certainly was) from wine.com:

Tavel (tah-VEHL)

Welcome to the land of Rosé. Tavel is the only AOC in France to produce only rosé wines. And these rosé wines are dry – bone dry. Tavel is situated in the Gard district to the left of the Rhone River (called Right bank of the Rhone). The wines are best drunk young and cold, and while they won't give you lots of depth and complexity, they do offer classic, refreshing dry roses for summer drinking.

Notable Facts
Grenache reigns as the primary varietal for the Tavel blends. Cinsault, Mourvedre, Syrah & a few other Rhone varieties are often used in smaller amounts. Flavors found in good Tavel wines are spice & berries - nothing reminiscent of the sweet rosés you used to find in the US. Perfect for a hearty meal on a hot night, or an apéritif on a warm afternoon.

themostrighteous

Walstib wrote:tmr is way too kind, and I think summer shipping is even more of an issue with gelato. ;)

no, i'm not - i really missed your gel-, errr, company at CWWT#3!

you are far too modest. if the stuff could be easily shipped, i'd dare say you could give those two Brandini Toffee teenies a run for their (well our) money for most popular side deal ever. i know that i'd be in for 3 & gift myself 3!

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
themostrighteous wrote:i gotz two things to say to youz:

you must be thinking of biodynamic winemaking "techniques" (if one can apply such a scientific sounding word to such nonsense).

TMR - you beat me to the biodynamic comment.

Also, you have to cut me some slack on my written Ingpanol; I've never read or studied Spanish, only know what I've been taught verbally by uneducated campesinos.

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic

Saxon Brown - Four Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Last wooter to woot: pencilthief

I always fine it interesting seeing what other peoples ID's are...pencilthief, I like that!

Hi mill & pencilthief

wwa

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

themostrighteous

SonomaBouliste wrote:TMR - you beat me to the biodynamic comment.

Also, you have to cut me some slack on my written Ingpanol; I've never read or studied Spanish, only know what I've been taught verbally by uneducated campesinos.

glad i'm not the only one who thinks so. and consider slack duly cut - 't'ain't no better way of learning the language than from the peoplez!

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

My Ty Caton & Dry Valley's have just arrived at once and have been sitting in the UPS truck all day. The external temps of the bottles read 86 degrees. There is no seepage in the boxes.
Does anyone think they're cooked or should they be OK?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 201 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Krugsters wrote:My Ty Caton & Dry Valley's have just arrived at once and have been sitting in the UPS truck all day. The external temps of the bottles read 86 degrees. There is no seepage in the boxes.
Does anyone think they're cooked or should they be OK?

Should be fine. the external signs will tell you. protruding corks and/or leakage.

Krugsters

themostrighteous wrote:for the uninitiated (i certainly was) from wine.com:

Tavel (tah-VEHL)

Welcome to the land of Rosé. Tavel is the only AOC in France to produce only rosé wines. And these rosé wines are dry – bone dry. Tavel is situated in the Gard district to the left of the Rhone River (called Right bank of the Rhone). The wines are best drunk young and cold, and while they won't give you lots of depth and complexity, they do offer classic, refreshing dry roses for summer drinking.

I just had a very nice Tavel last night. It was a Chateau d'Aqueria Rosé, 2006 (Rhone) Simple flavors, nose of cranberries, strawberry and unripe cherry. High acidity and alcohol but very refreshing.

Krugsters

Winedavid39 wrote:Should be fine. the external signs will tell you. protruding corks and/or leakage.

Excellent WD. Thank you.
The oppressive, hot weather in NYC has just broken so the arrival of these bottles was really perfectly timed.
I don't know how you do it but I am in awe.

Closetnerd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Closetnerd

in for 2....

"It's become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2
McMalbec wrote:Jeff, sorry to hear of your kidney stone attack.
Jeff and/or WD: It had been my plan to pick up the 2 bottle offering last night but flooding issues here in Iowa distracted me beyond the midnight hour. I am going to purchase the 4 pak but would love to get the zin and syrah if there is any left.
I sand bagged my basement last night and this morning to protect my cellar so it will have a safe home upon arrival.

You might have better luck to order the wine if you went through WD or service. I hope everything works out for you and also that you dont get flooded.

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus

I'm enjoying the last of my labrat bottle of 2006 Syrah at the moment, coincidentally also having leftover steak and mashed potatoes from the same meal I had this wine with for the review.

The Syrah passes the "2 days in the refrigerator" test. It's a bit tart and tannic but very enjoyable with my cold steak and potatoes (I like my leftovers cold, especially grilled meat).

Received my Ty Caton Field Blend today. This is good wine shipping season for us here in the north. High temp outside today was 75°F...

I'm in. Looking forward to the rose very much.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

Jeff,
Thanks for this offering! Thanks for both actually! I hope your feeling better, Not sure if this has been asked yet but what is the drinking window for the Sémillon? I know it drinks well now, but if I dont manage to finish it this summer how long will it last? I like to keep my Cellar Tracker dates filled in.

EDIT: I also tend to horde your wines because, I Love them.

johannafin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johannafin

Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.703s

Last wooter to woot: johannafin

Well I had to get NC out of the black! But one wooter in state and it is still really dark. Rose is one of my faves and looking forward to trying semillon.

Johanna

44 Wine Woots; 17 Woots (6 woot off wines)

NatalieW

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NatalieW

In. Worth the wootleg. Again.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Check out my sig for the inaugural CT wine.woot gathering. There is still room here in the Farmington Valley to meet, greet and drink.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

WD,

Have you started summer shipping yet? (and what does that mean BTW?)

I only ask because my TC FB as well as my DCV cab & PS were all trashed courtesy of the big brown oven that brought them across the country. (yes, I've already contacted customer service for both)

I'd love to order this, but it seems a shame to keep ruining good wine.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Cesare wrote:Yes! The Sémillon. And mmm Rosé

Saxon Brown - Four Pack
$59.99
+ $5 shipping
condition: Red, White
products:
2 2007 Sémillon
2 2006 Syrah Rosé

Links are to CellarTracker.

Thanks, busy week. Want a job Sunday night? I've got a 6AM EST flight to catch and I'm pretty sure I won't be up for the 1AM launch of next week's vino.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

SonomaBouliste wrote:It has a big effect on quality, particularly for whites. Pressing hot (or very warm) grapes extracts a lot more harshness. I cringe a bit when I see 20 ton truckloads of white grapes on the road mid-afternoon during harvest. I always think "I'm glad those aren't coming to us". It also is easier on the work crews. A lot of machine harvesting takes place at night, and people even get big portable lights to hand harvest at night. We always start as soon as you can see the grapes - a few minutes earlier for blacks than for whites.

Nugget: filed. There's my "What I learned from Wine.Woot this week" that will help me fake my way through yet another wine-based conversation.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Anyone else get a "Homer Simpson" vibe from the "Sloth" glass?

Cesare

quality posts: 1626 Private Messages Cesare
Corrado wrote:Thanks, busy week. Want a job Sunday night? I've got a 6AM EST flight to catch and I'm pretty sure I won't be up for the 1AM launch of next week's vino.

I'll take it!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
SonomaBouliste wrote:TMR - you beat me to the biodynamic comment.

I remember finding Frog's Leap winery (in Calif of course!) using it. I found it during our normal Sunday "Guess the wine" clue free-for-all. And thought only in California! But guess again!

Ran across this article about Holistic Vineyards. And I loved one of the alternate term for it: "doo-doo voodoo".

According to the article,

There are more than 65 biodynamic wineries in this country, more than 200 in France, and their names read like a who's who in contemporary winemaking.

Also found this list of 425+ Biodynamic Wine Producers. More than I thought.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
speedoo wrote:And what if WD sends me the Rose? We could have a labrattage gathering to have a number of NYC tasters sample these lovely wines.

Is that an offer WD could actually refuse?

I would LOVE to do a NYC-labrat-collective, and would gladly host such gatherings (complete with food!). I'm basically IN Union Sq. so pretty centrally located.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

Krugsters

MarkDaSpark wrote:Also found this list of 425+ Biodynamic Wine Producers. More than I thought.

And not counting all the wineries that play classical music from speakers to the grapes.
Funny enough, they tend to have higher yields. Go figure.

Blackneto

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Blackneto

oh what the heck.
I'm in for 2

joeliquor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeliquor

Sweet!

I just received a Golden Ticket!!

I will be sampling the 2006 Syrah Rose after work this evening. Hopefully, the weather stays nice in Chicago today and I can enjoy it on my deck tonight. Of course, this assume there aren't any bratty kids playing on the school's playground making a bunch of noise.

joeliquor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeliquor

FYI...

As you can see I'm not a "poster". I tend to lurk b/c if I posted on this board and the other board I frequent I would never get any work done. But I enjoy stalking all of you on a regular basis. ;)

Brief background...live in Chicago...from WI...school at Madison...college jobs all involved beer distributors and wine shops. Now I have a "professional" job that isn't nearly as fun as those college jobs.