cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
Cesare wrote:Btw- are you coming for riesling week?

Why must you be evil and taunt me with Riesling week???

Cesare

quality posts: 1595 Private Messages Cesare
cjsiege wrote:Why must you be evil and taunt me with Riesling week???

I forgot the link for Riesling week. Better?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic
madwine wrote:And our dear friend N is . . . . . can I tell them ? ? ? N? Can I?

sure - at the current rate, I never will

marekny7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marekny7
iByron wrote:It's really very easy. Just click the "Formatting Guide" that shows up when you type or reply to a message.

Thanks,
Same goes to MarkDaSpark

CT

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
cjsiege wrote:BTW, if you are going to do this, be sure to drink something you don't normally drink. Because the smell of whatever "this drink" is will probably give you really bad flashbacks for at least a year.

That would be the Sake One G for me.

Never again...and this time I mean it.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
Cesare wrote:Great story. I love opentable! Use it a lot here in NYC and even when I travel, SF, Vegas, etc. I always look out for reservation times that give 1000 points (usually early or late dining, ie: 5pm or 9pm). I've redeemed a few $20 certs already.
Btw- are you coming for riesling week?

Geez I forgot about that. Will have to look at my schedule.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
cjsiege wrote:That's what you do after tossing your cookies because you KNOW if you toss you will actually feel better. Then you sort-of brush your teeth (forgetting to use the toothpaste), and proceed to drink 16-20 oz of water out of the 2-3oz bathroom dixie cups. Because you can't find your way back to the kitchen. And even if you did, you somehow know that taking a glass out of the cabinet is not a smart move when you can't stand up straight. (Act 2, Scene 5 from CJ's Divorce Party.)

BTW, if you are going to do this, be sure to drink something you don't normally drink. Because the smell of whatever "this drink" is will probably give you really bad flashbacks for at least a year.

Oops! Wrong door -- didn't mean to interupt the AA meeting.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

madwine wrote:And our dear friend N is . . . . . can I tell them ? ? ? N? Can I?

No ... don't say it. [dear] nallie is expecting number one million five-hundred thousand and one? Really? Well, congrats! You've now got enough to host a reenactment of the entire Civil War. SCA would be so jealous!

Edit: Oops! Wrong "N". Welcome back Nematic -- and congrats!!

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

JOATMON wrote:Um, actually, I never upgraded to the Compuserve Classic software; they never issued a client that worked on Windows For Workgroups 3.11.

Ahh ... yes, there was DOSCIM and then WinCIM in the early 90's, but WinCIM was Win 3.1, not Workgroups. You should still have been able to run the DOSCIM clinet, though it was really a glorified ASCII interface. Terminal mode was still easier.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

jwhite6114 wrote:Oops! Wrong door -- didn't mean to interupt the AA meeting.

Edit: That IV drip could be handy, though.

CT | | | | | |

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

So i tasted Larry's Tercero wines today.

06 Cuvee Christie
06 Camp 4 Grenache
06 Tierra Alta Syrah.

Cuvee Christie is a very traditional GSM blend with a california twist. Instead of that earthy quality it's more california fruit. Tons of cherry on the nose and oak, cherry, pepper on the palate. Really easy to drink, real smooth and approachable right now. I drank it twice over the period of 4 hours and it only got more integrated and the acid toned down and mixed with the bright fruits. Great stuff, good deal at $28 a bottle.

Camp 4 Grenache: Sour berries on the nose/palate .. the tasting note on his website said pepper, but it was really light for me.. barely detectable. Also a bit of oak but not as strong as the Cuvee Christie. Typical Grenache, if you like that sour acidic taste this is definitely the wine for you.

Syrah: It's not a big Syrah like i typically have been drinking. It's very smooth and not a huge tannic beast. Fruity finish with a bit of heat. Good Syrah, but not one of my faves.. just not really my style.

He said he won't be able to sell on wine.woot due to the quantity they sell here . He's a small production guy so he'd be wiped out =)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jwhite6114 wrote:Edit: That IV drip could be handy, though.

When did you blow past 3,000? You were only at 28xx when I last looked. Jeebus, you were posting at an incredible rate, but not in the pub???

Anyway ... (for 3,000)

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

jwhite6114 wrote:No ... don't say it. [dear] nallie is expecting number one million five-hundred thousand and one? Really? Well, congrats! You've now got enough to host a reenactment of the entire Civil War. SCA would be so jealous!

Edit: Oops! Wrong "N". Welcome back Nematic -- and congrats!!

Okay, what am I missing??

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine

Sparky!! Party hats for N!! He asked his girl to marry him and she said YES!!! PS, she's a VET, So you all know that we will love her!

clayfu

iByron wrote:Since wineauxs are often foodies, here's a nifty anecdote from the week.

I'm a member of OpenTable (OT) which is a restaurant reservation service that a huge number of restos nationwide use for reservations. If you're a foodie and eat out a lot or even just a bit, you should be a member. It's free to us end-users because it's totally subsidized by the restaurants.

Anyway, I made a resservation for Tuesday for me and a friend at a resto in Manayunk. He's vegetarian and the resto was Greek with plenty of vegetarian offerings -- something I found out via OT, btw -- and they served Greek wines including a Nemea (Agiorgitiko is the varietal) that I was anxious to try. It looked like the perfect discovery.

Well the day hadn't gone well and the night was going worse, so I shouldn't have been surprised when I arrived at the resto to find it not just closed, but totally gutted with workmen with jackhammers throwing debris into one of those bins.

We ate elsewhere, of course, but when I got home I fired off a stern one to OT customer service.

So here's the good part. OT offers Dining Points with every reservation. When you get enough of them, you can redeem them for vouchers in units of $20, $50, or $100. For my trouble, OT gave me a point adjustment of 500 points (each reservation honored earns 100) and when I logged into my account today, I saw that the restaurant gave me credit for the reservation and I got that 100 points as well. That put me over the 12,000 point mark (2000 points equals $20) which means somebody's eating well this summerr!

Hey, it's a little thing (really little when you consider those points effectively netted me all of six bucks), but someone has to share some good news this weekend! ;)

iByron

i just sampled 131 bottles of wine tonight and took 12 of them home . That's pretty good news =P

MoscowMidnight

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MoscowMidnight

I see the rascals at WTSO have an extremely poor deal tonight....$20.49 for a wine I can regularly buy at multiple stores near me on the East Coast for $15.99-$17.99. Figures.

MarkDaSpark

madwine wrote:Sparky!! Party hats for N!! He asked his girl to marry him and she said YES!!! PS, she's a VET, So you all know that we will love her!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
clayfu wrote:i just sampled 131 bottles of wine tonight and took 12 of them home . That's pretty good news =P

Only 12!! I admire your constraint. Was it hard to pick your favorite 12 out of all of them?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
clayfu wrote:i just sampled 131 bottles of wine tonight and took 12 of them home . That's pretty good news =P

How do you sample 131 bottles and keep them all straight?

clayfu

polarbear22 wrote:Only 12!! I admire your constraint. Was it hard to pick your favorite 12 out of all of them?

i picked my 3 (out of 6) that were my favorites. The rest were just extra bottles. We had 3 of each wine, so we had a bunch of extra wine. Winemakers are incredibly generous when it comes to charity!

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez
jwhite6114 wrote:Edit: That IV drip could be handy, though.

Yeah, but the problem would be how to run the IV line when you are wasted!

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:When did you blow past 3,000? You were only at 28xx when I last looked. Jeebus, you were posting at an incredible rate, but not in the pub???

Anyway ... (for 3,000)

It's all those marathon postings he does when he returns to the pub to catch up on the 3 hours worth of posts he's missed What was the record rate? 45 posts in a half hour?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

jwhite6114

MarkDaSpark wrote:When did you blow past 3,000? You were only at 28xx when I last looked. Jeebus, you were posting at an incredible rate, but not in the pub???

Anyway ... (for 3,000)

Thanks, man! Actually, I think it happened Friday. That was a busy day in the pub. No one worked.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

cheron98 wrote:It's all those marathon postings he does when he returns to the pub to catch up on the 3 hours worth of posts he's missed What was the record rate? 45 posts in a half hour?

Now you exagerate. It takes me at least 45 minutes to post 45 posts.

I used to clump all of my responses in a single post, but that takes too much work (especially on my Treo) and tends to get less response form folks.

What can I say, I like conversation!

CT | | | | | |

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Wow...at the rate everyone was posting on Friday I was totally expecting to be behind about 93 pages or so. Back from Baltimore...was a good albeit short time. Gald to be home and am dreading work tonight.

Wine

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
MarkDaSpark wrote:Loweeel and/or TMR,

I opened my first 2005 Concannon PS Limited Reserve tonight. Drinking nicely now. The question I have is about the, well, stench, on opening it. Is that normal for the Concannon? It had a really weird odor when I first opened it, but it disappeared during the decant. None of the other PS's I've had, have had that odor.

Made me worry that I had a bad bottle, but it has opened nicely, and is a wonderful PS.

sorry for the delayed response. just checking in. i have not experienced what you described w/ the 2005 Concannon LR PS.

i did a little research, and the best that i could come up w/ (if the smell was one of rotten eggs) was excess H2S, but that apparently / typically spoils the bottle in question (which does not seem to have happened to you).

you may want to post a follow-up query to Peter in his RR forums.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

polarbear22

Just finished bottling 29 bottles of cherry wine. Maybe kind of a mead since we used honey along with sugar. Came out pretty good. Started it last June, and it has been "aging" in a carboy for 10.5 months.

For dinner, I am going commercial. Plan to start with a 2003 Ty Caton Zinfandel. And if we need more, we will open a Poizin. I have one bottle of Armida Maple Vineyards Zin that is out of this world. But it can use some bottle time, so I held off. I really like Zin with ribs.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I really need to find an occasion to open some of my wafer cookies. I have 4 boxes of them that I haven't even touched yet.

I ahve learned this, if you wait for an "occasion" you'll never do anything. You woke up this morning, thta's occasion enough.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

polarbear22

bhodilee wrote:I ahve learned this, if you wait for an "occasion" you'll never do anything. You woke up this morning, thta's occasion enough.

And the wafers hold fine in a baggie once they are opened. (And they are wafers, do they go stale?)

My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

not for your liver, not even if you spit. Holy carp how did you not get fatigued?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

clayfu

bhodilee wrote:not for your liver, not even if you spit. Holy carp how did you not get fatigued?

I drink alot of water and i take breaks. Also stick strictly in each varietal and each region.. in hopes that the flavors are similar.

It worked out to 1.5 hours of tasting/chatting then a break for 30 minutes, rinse and repeat.

polarbear22

How are you all celebrating Father's Day?

With one kid in CO, and the other not sure he is coming by, my wife is making me a favorite dinner. Pretty typical Sunday night. (Although, I am getting away with watching the US Open.)

My Cellar

deaconbluez

polarbear22 wrote:How are you all celebrating Father's Day?

With one kid in CO, and the other not sure he is coming by, my wife is making me a favorite dinner. Pretty typical Sunday night. (Although, I am getting away with watching the US Open.)

I've got some baby back ribs and turkey drumsticks in the smoker; can't decide if it's a wine night or beer night. One of my sons bought me a variety of beers from World Market, I might dip into those tonight.

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Hey music lovers...I need some recommendations for some good jazz flute music. I listen to pretty much all genres of music except for country (loathe). I go through cycles where I stick to pretty much one style for a while and currently its jazz. As far as what I'm looking for...think Ron Burgundy from Anchorman or similar to how flute is played in Jethro Tull. I really dig the funky stuff. If this makes sense to anyone let me know what I should be listening to.

Edit: Wine...wait Burgundy is a wine, right?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

polarbear22

deaconbluez wrote:I've got some baby back ribs and turkey drumsticks in the smoker; can't decide if it's a wine night or beer night. One of my sons bought me a variety of beers from World Market, I might dip into those tonight.

Did you buy or build your smoker? That is the next thing I feel I should do. We have some baby back ribs slow cooking on the gas grill with a rub, but not the same as a smoker.

My Cellar

deaconbluez

polarbear22 wrote:Did you buy or build your smoker? That is the next thing I feel I should do. We have some baby back ribs slow cooking on the gas grill with a rub, but not the same as a smoker.

bought mine. It's a Brinker that doubles as a charcoal grill. Has a small smoker box on the side, and a large grill space next to it. I've had it for 2 years; I'm pretty happy with it.

polarbear22

deaconbluez wrote:bought mine. It's a Brinker that doubles as a charcoal grill. Has a small smoker box on the side, and a large grill space next to it. I've had it for 2 years; I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out on the web, when I am a little more functional.

My Cellar

deaconbluez

polarbear22 wrote:Thanks for the info. I will check it out on the web, when I am a little more functional.

http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Series.aspx?category=Outdoor+Cooking&subcategory=Charcoal+Smokers+%26+Grills&series=OUT-1001-9&seriesname=Pitmaster&id=0
I have the Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe. I didn't anywhere close to what they have posted as the retail. When you get ready to buy, check Lowes, Home Depot, or Wal-Mart. They all discount them pretty much.

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I really need to find an occasion to open some of my wafer cookies. I have 4 boxes of them that I haven't even touched yet.

No occasion necessary. C & I just have one after dinner to help finish our wine, don't wait, open those babies up! Just put the open package in a baggy and they'll stay fine.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Had a busy day today after I finally got up and moving. Went out to my grandmother's house to have lunch with her, my uncle (and his fiance), and my parents to celebrate father's day and my mother's birthday (which was Friday). Simple lunch with good visiting time. Then went off to a double-header of softball and had 3 Yuengling's afterwards as we hung out after the games as usual (I love that lager). Then went home and started preparing for dinner. Made myself an awesome burger to eat with the last of my 2005 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha. The burger was one of my mom's homemade ones that had some onions and cheese mixed into it. While it was defrosting I had it soaking in the leftover tempranillo that's been in my fridge for awhile (not good enough to drink, but good enough for the burger), and I rubbed on a little bit of honey bbq sauce, and then some sort of herb mixture I got from my mom (don't remember what it is as she put it in a non-descript container). In any case, it turned out super yummy. Especially since I melted some of the herbal jack cheese on it on an onion bun. Paired it with a couple pieces of texas toast I also put on the grill.
I think the Las Rocas was better tonight than it was last night. Though that could have been because of what I paired with it, but I think it also needed the extra time.
In any case, this was certainly a happy evening.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings