iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
yathink2 wrote:Let us know if you figure out that flavor on the SB Syrah Rose day 2, even if it is carrot juice?

Got a flash update last night that *@#%*% up my firefox, now I am on Opera so I didnt get to see your carrot juice explanation, and too lazy to go find it now

Wait. You got an update that sent some Twisted Oak wine to your web browser? How do I get one of those?

I went out looking for a decent Italian Toscana to have with pizza but couldn't find my favorite and the one I did find in the price range I was willing to spend didn't list the percentages. So tonight, I ordered a chicken BBQ pizza and I'm having the 2005 Blue Mountain Vineyards Petite "Syrah" (which is actually an accepted alternate spelling, but, c'mon).

Spelling aside (they said it has flavors of "plumb" on the back label...like you'd really want to drink a lead ingot), I'm liking this first effort by a Pennsylvania winery. Killer with that pizza.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic
Loweeel wrote:Hey guys. Thanks for all the good advice and support. I really appreciate it.

About as much as my head did not appreciate the late-night cigar this morning. Those are always the worst headaches. I need to remember to drink more water when I smoke.

If you figure out a good way to remind yourself to drink more water while in a drunken stupor, let me know.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2
iByron wrote:Wait. You got an update that sent some Twisted Oak wine to your web browser? How do I get one of those?

Jus lucky I guess, now when the real Manos, the Hands of Fate, (sorry L, I hope your doing better BTW, and your cute too!) shows up I will be happy. Next Thursday, I think.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
iByron wrote:Wait. You got an update that sent some Twisted Oak wine to your web browser? How do I get one of those?

I went out looking for a decent Italian Toscana to have with pizza but couldn't find my favorite and the one I did find in the price range I was willing to spend didn't list the percentages. So tonight, I ordered a chicken BBQ pizza and I'm having the 2005 Blue Mountain Vineyards Petite "Syrah" (which is actually an accepted alternate spelling, but, c'mon).

Spelling aside (they said it has flavors of "plumb" on the back label...like you'd really want to drink a lead ingot), I'm liking this first effort by a Pennsylvania winery. Killer with that pizza.

iByron

Ooooh. I may have to request more! Any interest in splitting half a case of PS rose with me? Sparky said they'll have it in stock in another 2-3 weeks, which gives it just enough time to arrive before NoVA #5. I know how you can't resist the Roses.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
marekny7 wrote:HitAnyKey42 wrote:
What are you all drinking?

Just had the Epiphany Grenache Rose. Had it with scallops with mushrooms and whiskey sauce.

Okay, you totally need to share that recipe.

yathink2

nematic wrote:If you figure out a good way to remind yourself to drink more water while in a drunken stupor, let me know.

gennerally called, I want to go to sleep... Brush the purple stains off teeth, drink a glass of water (couple of asprins are very helpful too) and crash. Easy. Also makes sure you dont have a hang over unless you way over do it.

yathink2

oppsie wrote:Okay, you totally need to share that recipe.

HAK has a recipe, and he's using it! Awsome!! I am proud of you HAK

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
jwhite6114 wrote:Yeah, but even dial up is cheaper than $12.80 / $22.80 an hour. I suspect the folks who have those accounts don't use them, or if they do only sporadically. Ask CJ -- she'll know .

Yes, I'm one of the lost souls stuck on dial-up. Unless I tap the neighbor's unsecured wi-fi. Which is what I am doing right now. I just can't see handing the cable company $75/mo for a cable modem. Altho I'm now getting love notes from Verizon with the siren's song of FiOS. Opinions? Anyone roll beyond the 12 month teaser offer and find out the REAL cost?

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
yathink2 wrote:HAK has a recipe, and he's using it! Awsome!! I am proud of you HAK

Sorry to disappoint ya yathink, but that was markny7 eating that dish. He just messed up the quote function which made it look like I had typed that. All I had tonight was a couple of hot dogs preceded by some cheese and crackers.

Though that does sound like an awesome recipe that mark needs to share with me.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cjsiege

nematic wrote:If you figure out a good way to remind yourself to drink more water while in a drunken stupor, let me know.

That's what you do after tossing your cookies because you KNOW if you toss you will actually feel better. Then you sort-of brush your teeth (forgetting to use the toothpaste), and proceed to drink 16-20 oz of water out of the 2-3oz bathroom dixie cups. Because you can't find your way back to the kitchen. And even if you did, you somehow know that taking a glass out of the cabinet is not a smart move when you can't stand up straight. (Act 2, Scene 5 from CJ's Divorce Party.)

BTW, if you are going to do this, be sure to drink something you don't normally drink. Because the smell of whatever "this drink" is will probably give you really bad flashbacks for at least a year.

yathink2

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Sorry to disappoint ya yathink, but that was markny7 eating that dish. He just messed up the quote function which made it look like I had typed that. All I had tonight was a couple of hot dogs preceded by some cheese and crackers.

Thats Ok, you will figure it out or find a girl that already knows and then learn maybe together, if now at least help, you would be the soux chef, so to speak. Anyway, I would help you whith cooking questions.

Disclaimer: Been dying to go there. I am not a chef so. Blah, blah blah. I am a good cook though and I do know many simple dishes. However when I look at the others The ideas I would give are too simple.

Disclaimer etc. Can you do that? Anyway I have had a very hard week , not like L's but very hard just the same. My son is in trouble, but I dont personaaly care to explain details here, but I do need help.

oh yea been drinkin

yathink2

cjsiege wrote:That's what you do after tossing your cookies because you KNOW if you toss you will actually feel better. Then you sort-of brush your teeth (forgetting to use the toothpaste), and proceed to drink 16-20 oz of water out of the 2-3oz bathroom dixie cups. Because you can't find your way back to the kitchen. And even if you did, you somehow know that taking a glass out of the cabinet is not a smart move when you can't stand up straight. (Act 2, Scene 5 from CJ's Divorce Party.)

BTW, if you are going to do this, be sure to drink something you don't normally drink. Because the smell of whatever "this drink" is will probably give you really bad flashbacks for at least a year.

still prefer never to get to that point

cjsiege

yathink2 wrote:still prefer never to get to that point

Yeah, that's normally my preference, too. But the question was out there. And the incident is long enough ago that I can laugh at it. And consume 7 & 7's again.

yathink2

cjsiege wrote:Yeah, that's normally my preference, too. But the question was out there. And the incident is long enough ago that I can laugh at it. And consume 7 & 7's again.

sorry, I have had a very bad week and about to have another. Tonight I am working on the over doing it. My son is in trouble, for something that if they wanted him that bad should have happened years ago. Scared, and I dont know how to fix it.

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine

And our dear friend N is . . . . . can I tell them ? ? ? N? Can I?

oppsie

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Sorry to disappoint ya yathink, but that was markny7 eating that dish. He just messed up the quote function which made it look like I had typed that. All I had tonight was a couple of hot dogs preceded by some cheese and crackers.

I was going to say...does HAK really need a recipe for hot dogs? I mean, I understand the rudimentariness of the Foremanator and all, but seriously? Hot dogs?

Sadly I have no idea what the different flavor in the rose was. I continued tasting it, but now the bottle is gone and I still have no clue. Onward to Welllington!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
jwhite6114 wrote:CompuServe Classic is the original. CompuServe 2000 was the new service based on AOL's platform. CompuServe Classic is the one with numeric id's (such as 70004,1741). If you're on Classic, there are about 150,000 - 200,000 others like you. And it's going all the way away soon.

Um, actually, I never upgraded to the Compuserve Classic software; they never issued a client that worked on Windows For Workgroups 3.11.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

cjsiege

yathink2 wrote:sorry, I have had a very bad week and about to have another. Tonight I am working on the over doing it. My son is in trouble, for something that if they wanted him that bad should have happened years ago. Scared, and I dont know how to fix it.

Sometimes, you can't fix it. Sometimes, you have to tackle the big, unfixable problem by tackling all of the little problems along the way that you can fix. And then somehow, the big problem resolves itself. Maybe not the way you expected (or hoped), but it does seem to end up resolved.

Either way, you do your best and that's all you can do. Deep breath, rinse out the wineglass, and go to bed.

cjsiege

JOATMON wrote:Um, actually, I never upgraded to the Compuserve Classic software; they never issued a client that worked on Windows For Workgroups 3.11.

Whoa! And I thought I was behind the times! Even I ditched 3.11 in 2002.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
yathink2 wrote:sorry, I have had a very bad week and about to have another. Tonight I am working on the over doing it. My son is in trouble, for something that if they wanted him that bad should have happened years ago. Scared, and I dont know how to fix it.

Good luck. When you need it, you know that the pub will be behind you.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

iByron

Okay, so share that recipe.

Heh.

Your Private WIneaux

HitAnyKey42

iByron wrote:Okay, so share that recipe.

Heh.

I would, but it was one of those on-the-fly deals that I made up as I went along. So there ain't no recipe.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

iByron

Loweeel wrote:Ooooh. I may have to request more! Any interest in splitting half a case of PS rose with me? Sparky said they'll have it in stock in another 2-3 weeks, which gives it just enough time to arrive before NoVA #5. I know how you can't resist the Roses.

I particularly like big rosés that come off like light reds (Fife, Cedarview), and Petite Sirah has that potential in spades. PM me the specifics. I'll likely be in.

I'm a known customer with the winery, so feel free to pop the bottle of PS you have and form an opinion. I can get more. Blue Mountain sent a case to their Center City retail shop just for me! And I don't have to buy it all at once. And I still get my 5% club discount each time I buy. It's insane I tells ya'! INSANE!

Your Private WIneaux

Cesare

quality posts: 1614 Private Messages Cesare
HitAnyKey42 wrote:
What are you all drinking?

I had a cheap spanish syrah with lamb chops. It was actually decent, with the food. The best part was after dinner we had some of Jiri's wafer cookies with the wine. It was perfect!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Get a lawyer. Make sure he doesn't talk without one. See if a deal can be made to lessen whatever he is facing. And sometimes, it all works out. Maybe if it was too long ago, they can't go after him (Statute of Limitations)?

Hope it all works out well for both of you. This week is not turning out well for some (Loweeel and you so far).

Best wishes to all of you.

Group Hug:

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

madwine wrote:And our dear friend N is . . . . . can I tell them ? ? ? N? Can I?

Silence is consent, yes? So tell .... please tell ....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

iByron

Since wineauxs are often foodies, here's a nifty anecdote from the week.

I'm a member of OpenTable (OT) which is a restaurant reservation service that a huge number of restos nationwide use for reservations. If you're a foodie and eat out a lot or even just a bit, you should be a member. It's free to us end-users because it's totally subsidized by the restaurants.

Anyway, I made a resservation for Tuesday for me and a friend at a resto in Manayunk. He's vegetarian and the resto was Greek with plenty of vegetarian offerings -- something I found out via OT, btw -- and they served Greek wines including a Nemea (Agiorgitiko is the varietal) that I was anxious to try. It looked like the perfect discovery.

Well the day hadn't gone well and the night was going worse, so I shouldn't have been surprised when I arrived at the resto to find it not just closed, but totally gutted with workmen with jackhammers throwing debris into one of those bins.

We ate elsewhere, of course, but when I got home I fired off a stern one to OT customer service.

So here's the good part. OT offers Dining Points with every reservation. When you get enough of them, you can redeem them for vouchers in units of $20, $50, or $100. For my trouble, OT gave me a point adjustment of 500 points (each reservation honored earns 100) and when I logged into my account today, I saw that the restaurant gave me credit for the reservation and I got that 100 points as well. That put me over the 12,000 point mark (2000 points equals $20) which means somebody's eating well this summerr!

Hey, it's a little thing (really little when you consider those points effectively netted me all of six bucks), but someone has to share some good news this weekend! ;)

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
cjsiege wrote:Yeah, that's normally my preference, too. But the question was out there. And the incident is long enough ago that I can laugh at it. And consume 7 & 7's again.

Iv Normal saline 2 liters, toradol 30, zofran

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
ERMD wrote:Iv Normal saline 2 liters, toradol 30, zofran

I'll PM you my address. Please ship ASAP.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

cjsiege

ERMD wrote:Iv Normal saline 2 liters, toradol 30, zofran

Yeah, but that takes all the fun out of it.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
cjsiege wrote:Yeah, but that takes all the fun out of it.

Damn thats what happens when when your typing and they call you into a room.
Anyway thats what we give our alcohol challanged patients.
Oh and what am I drinking? a 2008 starbucks doubleshot.

marekny7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marekny7
oppsie wrote:Okay, you totally need to share that recipe.

The wine went very well with that
www.foodandwine.com/recipes/scallops-with-mushrooms-and-whiskey-sauce

I know. it's time to learn to "link"

CT

HitAnyKey42

Cesare wrote:I had a cheap spanish syrah with lamb chops. It was actually decent, with the food. The best part was after dinner we had some of Jiri's wafer cookies with the wine. It was perfect!

I really need to find an occasion to open some of my wafer cookies. I have 4 boxes of them that I haven't even touched yet.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

Happy Saturday Night...

Drinking a diet Pepsi tonight. Last night was another story. The grown ups went to It's About Thyme here in Culpeper. The wine list isn't really long, but on the left hand side, all glasses are 5.95. All bottles are $24. Yes, that was $24. We had a bottle of Albarino to start and then a 2005 Hess Cabernet. I don't think the Albarino was a big hit with anyone besides myself. Oh well. The wine guy I think gave me props for going outside the usual white choices. The Cab was fairly tasty.

We all split apps and entrees with our respective spouses. They are ridiculously large. Joel and I shared a Pate plate for our app. It was 8 bucks, 2 good sized slices of the Duck Pate along with a small salad, crackers, and other nibbles. I think we shared it with 2 others at the table as well. It could have easily been an entree.

Today we went to the Farmer's Market. Still early in the season, but we bought a crazy big bundle of basil for 2 bucks. Oh, and if you are ever here, the Raven's Nest coffee shop uses coffee ice cubes to put in their iced coffee. Surely that should be a Nobel prize nominee.

Sleep well everyone!

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

MarkDaSpark

Loweeel and/or TMR,

I opened my first 2005 Concannon PS Limited Reserve tonight. Drinking nicely now. The question I have is about the, well, stench, on opening it. Is that normal for the Concannon? It had a really weird odor when I first opened it, but it disappeared during the decant. None of the other PS's I've had, have had that odor.

Made me worry that I had a bad bottle, but it has opened nicely, and is a wonderful PS.

oppsie

marekny7 wrote:The wine went very well with that

linking would have taken less keystrokes that typing that...

MarkDaSpark

foodandwine.com/recipes/scallops-with-mushrooms-and-whiskey-sauce

Just use the left bracket - [ and url and then the right bracket - ] at the beginning, and then end it with the same, but put a slash - / in front of the url.

Edit: Putting the link text (CTRL-C and then CTRL-V to paste it) in between the two url codes. Of course!

Cesare

quality posts: 1614 Private Messages Cesare
iByron wrote:Since wineauxs are often foodies, here's a nifty anecdote from the week.

Great story. I love opentable! Use it a lot here in NYC and even when I travel, SF, Vegas, etc. I always look out for reservation times that give 1000 points (usually early or late dining, ie: 5pm or 9pm). I've redeemed a few $20 certs already.
Btw- are you coming for riesling week?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

iByron

It's really very easy. Just click the "Formatting Guide" that shows up when you type or reply to a message.

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

ERMD wrote:Damn thats what happens when when your typing and they call you into a room.
Anyway thats what we give our alcohol challanged patients.
Oh and what am I drinking? a 2008 starbucks doubleshot.

The IV probably would have been better than what I netted for my efforts. Was totally blitzed until after noon the next day. Had to cancel a meeting with my thesis advisor. Couldn't smell 7-up for 3 months without wanting to hurl.

Oh, and tonight I'm drinking Eau de Stafford County, well chilled. Decanted in a Brita pitcher to remove the chlorine smell and allow it to "breathe".