yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2
fairnymph wrote:Aww, damn. Yeah both the PV and Esoterica were dreadful. I was awfully disappointed with those.

So far, the only wines I've loved have been the PoiZin and the Nocetos. One of the Corisons was good but definitely not worth the price, the other was GREAT. I got one set of each of the Ty Caton offerings, which hopefully haven't spoiled from the heat. Haven't tried those yet.

I was unimpressed by the Pedroncelli, the L&Ls, the Fife trio, and the Mumm (though I have yet to try all the Mumms) - and obviously the KR.

Not having good luck, am I!

Might be better now that you have a cellar to keep them in. I really liked all of the wines that I have gotten some better than others except the KR PV, I have to agree on that one.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
mbecker wrote:I think that offering from KR just was some wine experimenting gone bad. Other than a few people, I think most felt the same as you. The PV was particularly foul.

I wouldn't say they'd gone bad, but there may be a reason there are not more Petit Verdot or Sousa wines out there. A few folks liked these, but it sounds like most of the objections were just not fans of the varietal.

CT | | | | | |

yathink2

jwhite6114 wrote:I wouldn't say they'd gone bad, but there may be a reason there are not more Petit Verdot or Sousa wines out there. A few folks liked these, but it sounds like most of the objections were just not fans of the varietal.

true dat!!

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
jwhite6114 wrote:I wouldn't say they'd gone bad, but there may be a reason there are not more Petit Verdot or Sousa wines out there. A few folks liked these, but it sounds like most of the objections were just not fans of the varietal.

Didn't get in on this one but all this general emotion made me go back and look at the KR thread. I only read the last page but WOW that's some varied responses to the PV. I've only had one 100% PV before (2003 Ballast Stone Petit Verdot). I really enjoyed it but it was definitely different than any other red varietal I've ever had. And it most definitely didn't go down like the KR PV seemed to.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
mbecker wrote:I think that offering from KR just was some wine experimenting gone bad. Other than a few people, I think most felt the same as you. The PV was particularly foul.

I'm one of the few but they certainly weren't widely adored among my friends. I thought they were very interesting and unique. I put down my remaining bottles to see how they will fare in a couple years.

EDIT: I also think it's worth tasting something that gets such polarized reviews.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

mbecker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mbecker

Yes I agree - by "gone bad" i do not mean spoiled. I mean an experiment that did not turn out so well - e.g., "Frankenstein" or the "P'EatZZa sandwich."

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
javadrinker wrote:Blame Sparky...thanks to him we pretty much need a smiley in each and every post. Two in those meant to be funny.

Oh, that reminds me...

Hey, hey, hey! No more smileys for you!! Darn!

Starting .... now ..... now ..... .... oh nevermind!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Heelacious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Heelacious
inkwench wrote:Because not all Tar Heels live within an easy drive to A Southern Season, and they have no way to get good wine anymore, but they remember it?

Also, we're definitely wine and cheese, although we beat the stuffing out of FSU the next time they headed the 'Dome. I know--I was there.

End of side-track.

Sorry, gotta revisit the Sam Cassell thing. Was the "next time" the 21 point comeback in 1993? If so, I was there too. Still my greatest Dean Dome moment. (Not sure if he made that comment in '91 or '92.)

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
Heelacious wrote:Sorry, gotta revisit the Sam Cassell thing. Was the "next time" the 21 point comeback in 1993? If so, I was there too. Still my greatest Dean Dome moment. (Not sure if he made that comment in '91 or '92.)

Did somebody just request the big orbs dance? Because I'll do it. Oh, I'll do it.

Edit: or I'll just link to the picture, until I can find a video.

yathink2

Ok, I am ready for tonights new offer. Before I gift myself more of these

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

You mean you guys haven't sold this out yet? Shame on you! Let me see if I can convince a few more of you to buy...

Opened the 2001 SB Zin at 7 p.m. Dark, opaque color - a chocolately purple. Smooth sheen down the glass - the legs sheet down, rather than trickle in individual legs. Nose initially was very alcoholic, giving way to a combo dark cherry/dark chocolate scent.

First sip - Nice medium body, no tannins. Very drinkable now - Aftertaste had a slight citrus peel flavor, giving way to a moderate alcohol burn.

Second tasting one hour later - the wine smoothed out a lot. A new aroma emerged - toasted pecan (very slight). Taste did not change significantly, but the alcoholic impression/aftertaste definitely subsided.

I didn't get to taste this with dinner - we'd eatenn seafood out, so to get just a slight impression with food, I tasted the wine with a few bites of pastrami and a large slice of pepperoni. Food definitely improved the experience, and the Zin stood up very well to the spiciness of the pepperoni. The pastrami brought out a bit of briar in the Zin; the pepperoni gave the Zin's aftertaste a definite change that I couldn't identify. Food also enhanced the mouthcoating from the wine.

I've vacuum sealed the rest of the bottle - I only had one glass overall. I plan to grill some NY Strips Friday night, and I'll taste this wine with the steaks then.

Verdict: A big, bold gutsy wine. I'd just had a PoiZin bottle last week - this seems more alcholic, but actually smoother to drink This is not a casual sipper, and not for the red faint-of-hearts. Pair with fine beef, spicy stews (too hot here though!), lamb tangine. If you love reds, Zins, Cabs, I think you;ll like this.

First report from a virgin brat - how did I do?

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
JanFP wrote:First report from a virgin brat - how did I do?

Noted and packed! Awesome job Thanks so much!!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP
mbrengman wrote:sorry not really good at the image upload. here is the tasting pic

Oooh, scary cork - stained halfway up. I lucked out and had just 1/4 stain - was worried with the Texas heat.

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
JanFP wrote:You mean you guys haven't sold this out yet? Shame on you! Let me see if I can convince a few more of you to buy...

Opened the 2001 SB Zin at 7 p.m. Dark, opaque color - a chocolately purple. Smooth sheen down the glass - the legs sheet down, rather than trickle in individual legs. Nose initially was very alcoholic, giving way to a combo dark cherry/dark chocolate scent.

First sip - Nice medium body, no tannins. Very drinkable now - Aftertaste had a slight citrus peel flavor, giving way to a moderate alcohol burn.

Second tasting one hour later - the wine smoothed out a lot. A new aroma emerged - toasted pecan (very slight). Taste did not change significantly, but the alcoholic impression/aftertaste definitely subsided.

I didn't get to taste this with dinner - we'd eatenn seafood out, so to get just a slight impression with food, I tasted the wine with a few bites of pastrami and a large slice of pepperoni. Food definitely improved the experience, and the Zin stood up very well to the spiciness of the pepperoni. The pastrami brought out a bit of briar in the Zin; the pepperoni gave the Zin's aftertaste a definite change that I couldn't identify. Food also enhanced the mouthcoating from the wine.

I've vacuum sealed the rest of the bottle - I only had one glass overall. I plan to grill some NY Strips Friday night, and I'll taste this wine with the steaks then.

Verdict: A big, bold gutsy wine. I'd just had a PoiZin bottle last week - this seems more alcholic, but actually smoother to drink This is not a casual sipper, and not for the red faint-of-hearts. Pair with fine beef, spicy stews (too hot here though!), lamb tangine. If you love reds, Zins, Cabs, I think you;ll like this.

First report from a virgin brat - how did I do?

Very nice.

I think I almost liked it best right out of the bottle. I think what I liked best about this wine is that I'm not overpowered by the alcohol. The PoiZin (from the first go around) really was overpowering. I was amazed by everyone saying it was "good juice." To me it seemed like pure alcohol with some wine taste thrown in. That said, I left the bottles for a year before trying another, and it really mellowed in the bottle. It was smooth, and "good juice."

I'm having the second half of the bottle tonight. I kinda blew my wad last night, so now long diatribe. I still like it, but as it's warming, I'm definitely getting some heat from the alcohol, and it's losing some of its fruitiness.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
clayfu wrote:I personally don't believe that one the cork is soaked that it's instant cooked wine. The chances are pretty high that it is.. but it's no guarantee, so give it a shot regardless.

how else would a bottle of very young wine (2006 vintage just released) get stained on top (once the foil has been removed & before the cork has been pulled) if not by excessive expansion of the juice w/in the bottle as a result of excessive heat?

do you know... what biodynamics is?

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
themostrighteous wrote:how else would a bottle of very young wine (2006 vintage just released) get stained on top (once the foil has been removed & before the cork has been pulled) if not by excessive expansion of the juice w/in the bottle as a result of excessive heat?

yeah but it might not be enough for oxidation. I mean I've had non cooked wine that had wine seeping out of the foil.

themostrighteous

Walstib wrote:Was hoping il rato gigante would convince me to do 2 or 3 sets.

labROUS wrote:Lo siento mucho que yo olvide para cambiar identidades antes que mi respuesta a su pregunta. Soy SonomaBouliste/el Rato Grandetoto. Es lo mismo

javadrinker wrote:It's so cute when gringos try to habla.

ROTFLMAO!!! you guys are killing me. take it from a Native.

Walstib wrote:2. Once more, in Italian please.

LabROUS = Topo Gigio?!?

themostrighteous

clayfu wrote:yeah but it might not be enough for oxidation. I mean I've had non cooked wine that had wine seeping out of the foil.

fair, though i would think it unlikely that a bottle of very young wine that has been subjected to excessive heat long enough to result in seepage would be unaltered in its taste profile, even if it doesn't qualify as "cooked". more to the point, if i come across such tell-tale signs, i'm not risking finding out whether it IS altered, cooked or otherwise: i'm demanding a replacement bottle from the seller. but that's just me.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
themostrighteous wrote:LabROUS = Topo Gigio?!?

(en voz de locutor de futbol falso)
¡GRACIAS POR HABERME DADO EL FERROCARRIL!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

themostrighteous

Loweeel wrote:(en voz de locutor de futbol falso)
¡GRACIAS POR HABERME DADO EL FERROCARRIL!

that wuz teh funneh!

speaking of futebol (portugues): any of y'all catching Euro 2008? it is ROCKIN' so far!

Cesare

quality posts: 1651 Private Messages Cesare
labROUS wrote:Sorry, I forgot to log on as my alter ego to respond to this. I forget at times that not everyone is aware SonomaBouliste = labROUS

Lo siento mucho que yo olvide para cambiar identidades antes que mi respuesta a su pregunta. Soy SonomaBouliste/el Rato Grandetoto. Es lo mismo

Walstib wrote:
2. Once more, in Italian please.

Mi dispiace che ho dimenticato di cambiare identità prima della mia risposta alla tua domanda. Io sono SonomaBouliste / Rato Grandetoto. Questo è lo stesso.

Edit: TMR- I love Topo Gigio!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

themostrighteous

Cesare wrote:Mi dispiace che ho dimenticato di cambiare identità prima della mia risposta alla tua domanda. Io sono SonomaBouliste / Rato Grandetoto. Questo è lo stesso.

beautiful language. and, usually, bello di calcio. just not in THIS Euro 2008 thus far.

jgaffner

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jgaffner

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to thank you for your comments the last few days. Sorry I didn't post as much as I wanted to. I've been dealing with kidney stones and all the fun that goes with it.
Jeff Gaffner

themostrighteous

Cesare wrote:Edit: TMR- I love Topo Gigio!

as do i. from your link: "The endearing puppet has made appearances and has a fan base in many other countries — including Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Venezuela, and Perú." i grew up in part in Chile & Colombia, where Topo Gigio was the most popular children's show on TV, even ahead of Plaza Sesamo (Sesame Street). what a wholesome show!

themostrighteous

jgaffner wrote:Hello everyone,
I just wanted to thank you for your comments the last few days. Sorry I didn't post as much as I wanted to. I've been dealing with kidney stones and all the fun that goes with it.
Jeff Gaffner

no worries, Jeff - hope you feel better & hope you can be more active during the second half of the week (although kidney stones rarely resolve themselves that quickly).

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
jgaffner wrote:Hello everyone,
Jeff Gaffner

Hopefully this too will pass

themostrighteous

ERMD wrote:Hopefully this too will pass

just LOVE the medical humor!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Redundant post, so rather than waste it, i'll just say:

GO YOU FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS !! WIN IN OMAHA!!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

themostrighteous wrote: more to the point, if i come across such tell-tale signs, i'm not risking finding out whether it IS altered, cooked or otherwise: i'm demanding a replacement bottle from the seller. but that's just me.

i believe you just paraphrased our policy. The wine will tell you if it's been exposed to excessive heat. prodruding cork and/or visible leaking and the bottle should be replaced. In other words, the wine will "communicate".

themostrighteous

Winedavid39 wrote:i believe you just paraphrased our policy. The wine will tell you if it's been exposed to excessive heat. prodruding cork and/or visible leaking and the bottle should be replaced. In other words, the wine will "communicate".

well, maybe it IS just me, but the wine ALWAYS seems to speak to me. especially past the half bottle mark. after which it is just plain chatty.

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 29 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
paryb wrote:I'd like to weigh in on this, and impart a few things for those new to wine that I've learned too.

I am in no way a wine expert, but I'm a huge wine lover. The cork. You know why they show you the cork at a restaurant? why you smell it? see it's not to figure out anything about the wine, that's what the taste glass is for
(let me digress a second, more and more I've had bottles brought already opened to a table and poured without a taste...I hate that! I tip extra big for a server who takes the time for me to ok my wine selection)
Anyway, you look at the cork, see how high the purple goes...if there is stains on top of the cork, it may have oxidized, so you sniff the cork...you'll know if it has corked because the cork will smell like a fart in a duffle bag...sweat socks and your dukes of hazzard lunchbox, you lost for 3 months...really bad. If not, then you can move on to tasting. If something is corked, then it has been open to the air for a long time. Way too long to salvage. Most of the time, I think that a wine corks at bottling. So, if it's done, it's pretty much done.

Anyhoo, I love this place, thanks for letting me diatribe.

2 thoughts on the diatribe:
Unless you really trust the server, if he brings it to the table already opened, send it back.
IF it's as badly corked as your descriptions suggest, the server should notice, and take the bottle away for replacement without even submitting it to you, if he has any idea what he's doing.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
themostrighteous wrote:fair, though i would think it unlikely that a bottle of very young wine that has been subjected to excessive heat long enough to result in seepage would be unaltered in its taste profile, even if it doesn't qualify as "cooked". more to the point, if i come across such tell-tale signs, i'm not risking finding out whether it IS altered, cooked or otherwise: i'm demanding a replacement bottle from the seller. but that's just me.

i agree, you should get a replacement.. this is more for your own persona consumption that you don't realize till much later =)

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

I LOVE all the other PVs I've had - it's my favourite varietal.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

themostrighteous

fairnymph wrote:I LOVE all the other PVs I've had - it's my favourite varietal.

now you are just being argumentative! (and, judging by your spelling, British to boot!) i wouldn't think that there are enough PV's out there in the first place to develop a favoritism for it. or is it favouritism?!?

NOTE: all of the above was tongue-in-cheek. if PV is your favorite varietal, then i say that that's just dandy. even if it tastes like a virgin bloody mary (and even if i can't imagine drinking one day in & day out).

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
themostrighteous wrote:well, maybe it IS just me, but the wine ALWAYS seems to speak to me. especially past the half bottle mark. after which it is just plain chatty.

See, in my case the wine speaks through me. I have never heard a chatty wine, but past the half-bottle mark and everyone else hears a chatty me.

(I know, I know, you're all thinking: he talks even more when he's had a bit to drink?! Hard to believe, but true.)

CT | | | | | |

themostrighteous

jwhite6114 wrote:See, in my case the wine speaks through me. I have never heard a chatty wine, but past the half-bottle mark and everyone else hears a chatty me.

(I know, I know, you're all thinking: he talks even more when he's had a bit to drink?! Hard to believe, but true.)

well, that's just GREAT: can't wait to spend four days w/ you & your chatty alter you in Cali in late July!!!

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
paryb wrote:I'd like to weigh in on this, and impart a few things for those new to wine that I've learned too.

On that note, there's a brief guide I'm kind of fond of, which was written by a waiter. Note that there's some off-color language, so ask someone to read it aloud to you, censored, if you're sensitive to that. How to order wine without looking like an as*#^!$.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

solarfish42

quality posts: 3 Private Messages solarfish42
Winedavid39 wrote:Redundant post, so rather than waste it, i'll just say:

Oh WD, Oh so sadly, your Fresno State Bulldogs are going to go down in royal fashion to my Rice Owls. (I'm still contemplating a trip to Omaha for the games)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
fairnymph wrote:Aww, damn. Yeah both the PV and Esoterica were dreadful. I was awfully disappointed with those.

So far, the only wines I've loved have been the PoiZin and the Nocetos. One of the Corisons was good but definitely not worth the price, the other was GREAT. I got one set of each of the Ty Caton offerings, which hopefully haven't spoiled from the heat. Haven't tried those yet.

I was unimpressed by the Pedroncelli, the L&Ls, the Fife trio, and the Mumm (though I have yet to try all the Mumms) - and obviously the KR.

Not having good luck, am I!

Pedroncelli was good but underwhelming, the Mother Clone Zin should age pretty well though. I've got a couple bottles of that that's 96' vintage and it's wonderful. Lots of sediment though, I gotta get a strainer before I open the next bottle. I had one that was very port like and one that still showed strong fruit characteristics. These were side by side on the shelf when I found them, which taught me a lot about bottle variation. I loved the L&L's from an everyday standpoint. Not very complicated, but then you can pop and pour them and not wait for decanting either. I would buy them again to have around, but would not serve them to guests I wanted to impress. I drank the hell out of the Mumm's at my wedding reception and they were all very well received. I haven't touched the KR's yet as the general consensus was they could use some age, so I am doing so. I probably wont' touch the PV for 15-20 years.

I wonder if the uneven heating situation in your apartment leads to disappointing woot wines? You shoudl see if you can find a bottle of one of your woots in a wine store and compare them side by side when you get it home.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Winedavid39 wrote:Redundant post, so rather than waste it, i'll just say:

So you're saying when I'm going to the games I should be cheering for the Bulldogs This is the ONE time of the year people from around the country (baseball fans at least) must envy that I live in Omaha, well actually I live in Ralston which is literally 2.5 blocks from Omaha.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)