jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
winefarm wrote:didn't you just know eljefetwisted was one of those who would stick around?
Nice..

WD

You know how to pick 'em!

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

mbrengman wrote:Ok its two hours in the decanter now.

much softer on the tongue. a little more bright on the nose. I think the berry is softening. the heat is gone. I think it is more sophisticated now. The subtlety of he flavor requires more concentration. It is less of a wine for strong flavors now.
sting very good but different

If this is thursday i'd buy

So many pics this week -- labrats are raising the bar! Next week's rats are gonna have to go to video. Pretty soon we'll have a whole set of GV's here.

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:So many pics this week -- labrats are raising the bar! Next week's rats are gonna have to go to video. Pretty soon we'll have a whole set of GV's here.

winetv.woot.com!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

fairnymph wrote:I got the Syrah...

Also, do you think I should decant, etc? Advise oh wise ones and I will tell you my thoughts shortly!

Did you get the 2006 Syrah as well? Or is yours actually the 2005?

Looks like this is a good one to experience through decanting - have some when you open it, let it sit in the decanter a bit and try some more. Give us your impressions on the first taste, a half hour later, an hour later, etc. Sounds like it's a wine that changes over the course of a couple hours.

Get the wine to about 68 degrees for tasting - that's about standard.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
cheron98 wrote:Did you get the 2006 Syrah as well? Or is yours actually the 2005?

Looks like this is a good one to experience through decanting - have some when you open it, let it sit in the decanter a bit and try some more. Give us your impressions on the first taste, a half hour later, an hour later, etc. Sounds like it's a wine that changes over the course of a couple hours.

Get the wine to about 68 degrees for tasting - that's about standard.

I too got the 2006.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but beyond opening it and sticking a thermometer in there, how do I determine the temp? Or is that just what I should do?

Annoyingly, I only consume calories on alternate days and today is a 'down' day, so I will only be able to taste (not actually DRINK) tonight, and will have to consume 98% of it tomorrow. I hope it doesn't suffer too much.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
Winedavid39 wrote:Any time i can get my hands on Saxon Brown, i'm going to do it. and the library pice on the zin is $45.00.

And I will say, "Please, Please, Please continue to do so!"

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

fairnymph

SonomaBouliste wrote:Basil pesto. I love it, and make tons of it every summer, but it's a tough wine match. I have had both some whites and some reds that work okay with pesto, and a lot that really clash. I'm still searching for the ideal match. If anybody thinks they have one, please let me know so I can try it.

I make my own pesto from the basil I grow in my garden and freeze it to have year-round (or did when I had an extra freezer) - isn't it so wonderful to have homemade pesto?

I drink a TON of rosé, so and I find that the drier rosés go wonderfully with pesto. I also like Sauvignon Blanc (I like the Santa Rita $6 stuff from Trader Joe's, it's seriously good and I always have it on hand for cooking as well as drinking). Viogniers complement pesto superbly, too.

As for reds, I find those more difficult to pair with pesto (especially since I usually am serving chicken in some form with pesto, if I'm serving any meat), but my favourite Italian red - Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (Avignonesi is my favourite label) goes well, I think, as do some merlots and lighter reds. Recently I had a bottle of 2006 Gaia Estate Agiorgitiko Nótios - a dry greek red with fruit, smooth and pretty rich with low acid - with a pesto pizza and it was a tasty combination.

otolith

I am proud to report that I was bratted the zin!

More to come later.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

fairnymph

oppsie wrote:e. 11th and 4th ave?

Yup, you got it - that's the closest intersection.

Oh, and I'm wondering, since I got the 2006 vintage, as did the other Syrah lab rats, does this mean the wine I bought will be 2006 also, or will it be the 2005?

jwhite6114

otolith wrote:I am proud to report that I was bratted the zin!

More to come later.

Woo hoo! Cheers to you man. Sounds like it's time to update the sig! I mean, which is more important: lab rat or 3%?

CT | | | | | |

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL

RAT REPORT: 2001 Saxon Brown Zinfandel – Casa Santinamaira Vineyard (With apologies, a later report than I had planned)

Received the FedEx package around 11:00a – Wife signed for the package letting me know it was for me. While I was expecting a shipment I was not expecting one from Wine Country Connect. So… I ripped open the box and to my delight found that I had been ratted out! Finally: One of the Few, the Proud, the Chosen, and card-carrying member of the Inner Circle. I am keeping up with the JONESES!

After staging the bottle and genuine recycled moleskin Certificate of Authenticity to a photo shoot and promptly posting to the wine.woot blog, the subject was placed in the cellar to chill for the remainder of the day. At 7:00pm EDT I popped the cork taking a few moments to catch a bit of fragrance from the bottle and a closer one of the cork which I immediately associated with the scent of opening a bag of cherry blend pipe tobacco, if you’ve done that sort of thing, that is. Decanted and let stand in the cellar until supper at 8:20. Served at about 64°.

Tonight’s menu was already in motion, expertly prepared by my better half. It was not composed anticipating this liquid visitor. Bibb lettuce salad, chicken sautéed in a marinade sauce of buttermilk/Dijon mustard/light garlic and parsley with roasted new potatoes in their skins. Which actually worked out OK with the Zin. Oh yes, the wine:

A lovely deep maroon color and plenty of long legs showing off in the glass. Fragrant, with initial sips then longer takes exhibiting flavor in keeping with a late spring sunset to be described as only somewhat fruit-forward. Playful on the tongue—Not too zippy hot, yet there is slight heat lurking in the palate and nose throughout. There are dashes of drying cherry wrapped in chamois leather with a touch of summer blossoms, none overwhelming the other. This wine is gently and subtly complex, just a shade or so less than might be anticipated. For us this wine did not change over the course of the meal (two hours—we take our time!) and it may not additionally benefit with more bottle time or decanting, this, not necessarily a bad thing for those who enjoy immediate gratification from their wine selections.

Recommendation: YES if you are a Zin-head. Is it worth $45? Gee, that might be a tough call, but at the current w00t pricing, GO FOR IT!

Thanks to WD and JG for the opportunity to kick the tire… er, bottle. I am looking forward to receiving my order and experiencing the ’05 Syrah.

parfireman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parfireman
Winedavid39 wrote:High praise indeed.

thanks stud got two.

otolith

It wouldn’t be right to not start out with a little disclaimer. There are a few things I am good at doing, fewer that I’m great at doing, and lots o’ things I’m not so hot at doing. Critiquing wine unfortunately falls into the far latter category. That said, I’ll give it my best shot.

First, a little background. Around 10 years ago I was introduced to “red zin.” I didn’t know there was such a thing. In fact, I was still pretty perplexed as to why “white zin” was actually pink in color. Over the past 2-3 years, my interest in wine has grown, and my cellar has largely grown because of this site. I was then introduced to zins again. I popped one (the wine will remain nameless) shortly before Mr. Gaffner’s first offering. It was similar to every other zin I had had prior—a highly alcoholic in your face fruit bomb. The alcohol was so overpowering, that it just ruined the wine for me, and I was “down” on the whole zinfandel grape. A week or so later, the first Saxon Brown offering (a 2 pack of the 2000 zin) appeared. It looked expensive, so I thought I would pass. It was reading through Mr. Gaffner’s posts that his passion, style, and approach to wine became readily apparent. I pulled the trigger, and couldn’t wait to try a bottle. I just knew I was going to like it. Six, yes 6, months later, I finally had a chance (had a friend over who is a zin aficionado) to break out a bottle. Needless to say, the bottle was gone in short order, and I’ve been a fan since, at least to the old style zins such as this.

On to tonight: My day was quite a long one--much longer than usual, and I’m certainly exhausted. I was driving home, wondering which wine I would pick for tonight. It’s “Taco Tuesday” in the Doc Ot household, so I was thinking along the lines of a lighter Italian or Spanish red. Then, I realized it was getting late, and I’d just pop a beer or go with a glass of water instead. I walk into the house, and here’s what I see:

Isn’t it amazing how it just appeared on the counter like that?

So, I immediately pour half into a bottle for tomorrow night (does the bottle look familiar?), and half into the decanter (look familiar, polarbear?), and a little teaser into the glass.

First impression: Medium-dark ruby red color. Nice nose of deep, red fruits (for some reason plum pops into mind). Maybe a little spice? A touch of alcohol, but not overwhelming. Swishing it in the glass reveals some long legs (I’ve always wanted to say that). Nice mouth feel with a smooth, medium body. Not overly complex or overpowering. I can taste the fruit, and am not overpowered by the alcohol, which is amazing, given the bottle lists it at 15%. This really tastes great!

Left it in the decanter and tasted an hour later after the tacos were down the hatch and the kids were safely tucked into bed and sleeping—there is nothing more innocent than a sleeping child. Oh yeah, the wine. It certainly isn’t quite a fruity as first taste. I can feel the tannins, and the “harshness” that they sometimes provoke after I’ve eaten. Swirl it around a little more, and take another sip. The tannins are still present, but not harsh. Seem to add a nice structure, and the wine seems to have mellowed. I continue to be happy with the fact that I am not overpowered by the alcohol. I can, however, feel its effects. :D

Gotta go iron my shirt for tomorrow, talk to the wifey pooh, upload some pictures to Charlie, err, Photobucket (see what I did there?), and I’ll be back with the last glass (you, of course, will have missed this delay).

The last glass (for tonight) & two hours after decanting: The author is fading quickly, the wine is not. The intense fruit flavors are really pulling through. Raspberry? Cranberry? Dammit! I wish my nose worked better! It remains mellow and smooth, the tannins are apparent; with a little more heat from the alcohol.

Overall, I love this wine! Just delicious, and certainly one I consider special given the history of its vines. Then again, I just knew I would. 

Mr. Gaffner, your passion for your wine certainly is apparent.

--John Muir

otolith

jwhite6114 wrote:Woo hoo! Cheers to you man. Sounds like it's time to update the sig! I mean, which is more important: lab rat or 3%?

The sig is certainly in need of updating. In fact, there's some "news" I'll share in the pub one of these days.

--John Muir

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
jgaffner wrote:2001 Zinfandel – Casa Santinamaira vineyard:
In 2001 we were able to harvest only 0.5 tons/acre. This wine, a classic field blend of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Carignane, Alicante Bouschet and Mataro, represents the often unrealized elegance and complexity that we feel great zinfandel is capable of. ...
In 2001 the brix at harvest was approximately 26 when the fruit was right to pick. The fruit was picked with optimum care, in small bins and in the cool of the day....

Oh Lord. You horrible horrible rotten wonderful winemaker you. That blend alone....I'm going to have to gift myself a three pack now.

WD what's the chance of me upping my current order to three?

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

solarfish42

quality posts: 3 Private Messages solarfish42

... and I'm in for one heat be damned. I absolutely can not pass up Saxon Brown wines. I loved the previous vintage of both of these wines.

Speaking of, I, as well as others, would love to hear from Jeff as to his thoughts on how the '00 Zin is drinking. I'm sitting on a few bottles (53 degree cellaring) that I am planning on opening for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to be rewarded for my patience, but need some advice on decanting time.

fairnymph

Tasting notes, with pics! Please keep in mind that I am not a wine expert by any means, and when it comes to Syrahs in particular, I am quite inexperienced.

Once the bottle seemed adequately cooled (beyond the original 80 something degrees), I opened her up. The cook was stained, as shown below, and I suppose it isn't surprising considering the high 90s here in nyc and the heatwave across the country. The wine also sat for about 4 hours in my apt which is in the low 90s. Still, despite the stained cork, the wine does not seem spoiled or adversely affected, thankfully!

Sniffed from the cork and the mouth of the bottle, it smelled rich, smooth, and deeply fruity - like dark, ripe, almost dried cherries and plums. More like a Zin, actually, to my nose, or even maybe a Petite Sirah.

I poured a bit in a glass, and sniffed again. Immediately, it seemed brighter, tarter, with a pronounced alcoholic tang, and a little oaky.

The wine is a lovely deep plum colour, very rich and thick. As norvegicus noted (he called it 'legs', a term new to me), the wine clings in streams to the sides of the glass for minutes - quite amazing! Tasted, it has a heavily tannic and alcoholic bite to it immediately. It's less like overripe fruit, more like younger fruit, if that makes any sense. No longer black cherries and dried plums, but now it's like tart raspberries, with a distinct peppery finish, and still quite oaky. In my mouth, it didn't feel as thick as it looks, but certainly not thin either; I found it light to medium bodied.

1.5 hours later, I retested. It had aired fully the entire time, and been recooled a bit as necessary. In this time, it changed dramatically - wow. I am quite shocked in fact, as I don't think I've ever experienced a wine that morphs so much in such a short period of time. It still has quite a bite to it at first, a bit less tannic, a bit more acidic - I guess these features would soften with aging, and I will certainly age my purchased bottle. While it still has that raspberry note, it's even tarter, like berries that aren't quite ripe. It's also MUCH more herbal and even floral, notes which I couldn't pick up at all pre-airing. In fact, the herbal notes almost dominate to me after time - thyme and lavender type notes, I'd say, and then a semi-floral, semi-herbal note that reminds me of geranium.

In summary, my own tastes, which run to dark, smooth fruit as opposed to more astringent herbal notes, suggest to me three things:

1. I will most enjoy this drunk right away, without decanting (as it doesn't really lose any bite at all from decanting, that I can tell).
2. It will benefit from aging, becoming smoother (I hope/presume).
3. Were I to drink it slowly, or after decanting, I'd be able to better appreciate the herbal stage with the right meal; I can see this going well with braised/stewed rabbit or venison, or pasta with a spicy sausage and heavily herbed sauce.

I will finish this bottle tomorrow, and it's certainly a drinkable wine and I appreciate it for its many nuances, which are fascinating from an experiential viewpoint, but in terms of pure delicious enjoyment, I'm a bit disappointed. I hope the Zin pleases me more and that by aging my Syrah, it will improve.

dakillawoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dakillawoot

Ok, Ive been away for the last few weeks, is summer shipping in effect? Im really getting close to ordering, but dont want cooked wine.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
parfireman wrote:thanks stud got two.

thank you D. Hey, how 'bout them Bulldog's !!

fairnymph

dakillawoot wrote:Ok, Ive been away for the last few weeks, is summer shipping in effect? Im really getting close to ordering, but dont want cooked wine.

No, I am pretty positive it is NOT in effect based on the experience of so many of us in the past week received heat-affected bottles. :\

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
fairnymph wrote:Tasting notes, with pics! Please keep in mind that I am not a wine expert by any means, and when it comes to Syrahs in particular, I am quite inexperienced.

Once the bottle seemed adequately cooled (beyond the original 80 something degrees), I opened her up. The cook was stained, as shown below, and I suppose it isn't surprising considering the high 90s here in nyc and the heatwave across the country. The wine also sat for about 4 hours in my apt which is in the low 90s. Still, despite the stained cork, the wine does not seem spoiled or adversely affected, thankfully!

Sniffed from the cork and the mouth of the bottle, it smelled rich, smooth, and deeply fruity - like dark, ripe, almost dried cherries and plums. More like a Zin, actually, to my nose, or even maybe a Petite Sirah.

I poured a bit in a glass, and sniffed again. Immediately, it seemed brighter, tarter, with a pronounced alcoholic tang, and a little oaky.

The wine is a lovely deep plum colour, very rich and thick. As norvegicus noted (he called it 'legs', a term new to me), the wine clings in streams to the sides of the glass for minutes - quite amazing! Tasted, it has a heavily tannic and alcoholic bite to it immediately. It's less like overripe fruit, more like younger fruit, if that makes any sense. No longer black cherries and dried plums, but now it's like tart raspberries, with a distinct peppery finish, and still quite oaky. In my mouth, it didn't feel as thick as it looks, but certainly not thin either; I found it light to medium bodied.

1.5 hours later, I retested. It had aired fully the entire time, and been recooled a bit as necessary. In this time, it changed dramatically - wow. I am quite shocked in fact, as I don't think I've ever experienced a wine that morphs so much in such a short period of time. It still has quite a bite to it at first, a bit less tannic, a bit more acidic - I guess these features would soften with aging, and I will certainly age my purchased bottle. While it still has that raspberry note, it's even tarter, like berries that aren't quite ripe. It's also MUCH more herbal and even floral, notes which I couldn't pick up at all pre-airing. In fact, the herbal notes almost dominate to me after time - thyme and lavender type notes, I'd say, and then a semi-floral, semi-herbal note that reminds me of geranium.

In summary, my own tastes, which run to dark, smooth fruit as opposed to more astringent herbal notes, suggest to me three things:

1. I will most enjoy this drunk right away, without decanting (as it doesn't really lose any bite at all from decanting, that I can tell).
2. It will benefit from aging, becoming smoother (I hope/presume).
3. Were I to drink it slowly, or after decanting, I'd be able to better appreciate the herbal stage with the right meal; I can see this going well with braised/stewed rabbit or venison, or pasta with a spicy sausage and heavily herbed sauce.

I will finish this bottle tomorrow, and it's certainly a drinkable wine and I appreciate it for its many nuances, which are fascinating from an experiential viewpoint, but in terms of pure delicious enjoyment, I'm a bit disappointed. I hope the Zin pleases me more and that by aging my Syrah, it will improve.

sounds like a cooked wine.

jwhite6114

otolith wrote:It wouldn’t be right to not start out with a little disclaimer. There are a few things I am good at doing, fewer that I’m great at doing, and lots o’ things I’m not so hot at doing. Critiquing wine unfortunately falls into the far latter category. That said, I’ll give it my best shot.

Overall, I love this wine! Just delicious, and certainly one I consider special given the history of its vines. Then again, I just knew I would. 

Mr. Gaffner, your passion for your wine certainly is apparent.

Include writing in the former. Thanks for this review! I am very much looking forward to the Zin.

CT | | | | | |

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

DC Wine Store?
Anyone have a recommendation for a DC wine store with knowledgeable sales people? I'm short term visiting Washington DC (staying in Foggy Bottom) and need to come up with a few bottles of wine for a local friend's dinner.
Any quick recommendations appreciated.
Thanks.

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
fairnymph wrote:Yup, you got it - that's the closest intersection.

Oh, and I'm wondering, since I got the 2006 vintage, as did the other Syrah lab rats, does this mean the wine I bought will be 2006 also, or will it be the 2005?

intersection feature memory FTW! (I lived nearby summer 1998. Although I've been by a few times since, but always lived way uptown or in Queens the other times I've lived in NYC.)

cheron98

clayfu wrote:sounds like a cooked wine.

That's a good sounding description even for a cooked wine - I'm impressed.

schuey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages schuey
tomatillo wrote:DC Wine Store?
Anyone have a recommendation for a DC wine store with knowledgeable sales people? I'm short term visiting Washington DC (staying in Foggy Bottom) and need to come up with a few bottles of wine for a local friend's dinner.
Thanks.

Cleveland Park Wine and Liquors, up on Connecticut Ave. has always been good to me.

cheron98

Thank you all labrats, you've been packed. Looks like we may still have another Zin rat out there somewhere, as there were 3 Syrah rats.

Excellent descriptions this week!!

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
Thanks.

There isn't much in that part of DC. Hit up Schneider's of Capitol Hill (google it) -- really great staff.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

darisgin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darisgin
cheron98 wrote:Thank you all labrats, you've been packed. Looks like we may still have another Zin rat out there somewhere, as there were 3 Syrah rats.

Yes... I have to keep slamming my hand on the desk... my fingers keep crawling towards the gold button...

Serious question: how to reform a "guzzler" (me). One of the reasons I put off drinking for so long (I didn't even get tipsy till my mid twenties) was because I knew myself to be a guzzler. Put a glass of something, anything in front of me and WHOOP it's gone. VERY bad if, say, Longh Island Iced Teas show up... or G&T.

In any case, some of the descriptions here ("Got the wine... cellared it till evening... let it decant for an hour... sipped over dinner and desert... tried again later that evening...") just don't work for me.

Pop. Pour. More. Gone. The fact that my wife demands an equal share is pretty much all that keeps me from downing the whole thing over dinner.

Now, don't get me wrong: I still ENJOY the experience (often immensely), but I just lack patience. The only way *I* get to have some "later that evening" is if I open a second bottle (and my natural frugality generally keeps me from doing so and, as a byproduct, limits my lushful tendencies).

So: anyone else have this "problem"? Any tips for overcoming?

Some day when *I* am a labrat (you know, e.g., when Massachusetts, which allows all SORTS of things, allows freakin' WINE SHIPMENTS) I promise to sippy sip sip.

Tips accepted.

Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio; Woot Cellars Polyphemus Magnum; Woot Cellars Humbug; Wellington Vineyards Reserve Duo, three pack, three pack + mystery; Peltier Station Lodi Petite Sirah; Ty Caton Three-Pack Sampler; Dry Creek Two-Pack Reds

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
cheron98 wrote:That's a good sounding description even for a cooked wine - I'm impressed.

that may be, but unless you are willing to deliberately cook your wine, it's a description that is not particularly helpful to those trying to decide whether this wine would be to their liking. (not that fairynymph could do anything about getting a cooked wine.) that's the basic implication of clay's observation.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 26 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
dakillawoot wrote:Ok, Ive been away for the last few weeks, is summer shipping in effect? Im really getting close to ordering, but dont want cooked wine.

Last year, summer shipping was $7. Based on that, I'm assuming that it's not in effect, since the shipping charge is still $5.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
DonaldWilliams wrote:Last year, summer shipping was $7. Based on that, I'm assuming that it's not in effect, since the shipping charge is still $5.

WD says he is working on new Summer Shipping, so maybe next week we'll see it?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
Thanks.

Agree that Schneider's is a good choice. I also like Calvert-Woodley. Not everyone at C-W is very knowledgeable, but if you find the right salesperson, you can do well there.

briffe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briffe
themostrighteous wrote:that may be, but unless you are willing to deliberately cook your wine, it's a description that is not particularly helpful to those trying to decide whether this wine would be to their liking. (not that fairynymph could do anything about getting a cooked wine.) that's the basic implication of clay's observation.

What in the description of the wine made it appear to be cooked?

fairnymph

clayfu wrote:sounds like a cooked wine.

Can you elaborate?

I got two bottles (out of the 3) of my Kent Rasmussen that were TOTALLY NOT RIGHT AT ALL - they were absolutely foul-ly undrinkable. This was not like that, it just wasn't really my 'style'. Objectively, other than a bit of a bite, it didn't appear to have any major flaws. But again I am no connoisseur.

fairnymph

cheron98 wrote:Thank you all labrats, you've been packed. Looks like we may still have another Zin rat out there somewhere, as there were 3 Syrah rats.

What does 'packed' mean in this context? I keep seeing people use the term and I still can't figure out its meaning.

Thanks for starting that other thread - great idea!

fairnymph

darisgin wrote:
So: anyone else have this "problem"? Any tips for overcoming?

Some day when *I* am a labrat (you know, e.g., when Massachusetts, which allows all SORTS of things, allows freakin' WINE SHIPMENTS) I promise to sippy sip sip.

Tips accepted.

Oh, silly MA and its outdated laws...I used to live there, and bemoaned all of the first great wine.woot offerings I missed out on as a result. NY >>>> MA in that regard.

As for overcoming...well I only consume calories on alternate days, so that means that last night for example, I could ONLY taste, not drink. But presuming you don't want to go the crazy life extension route...how about decanting half, putting the decanter somewhere REALLY FAR AWAY and annoying to get to, so that in your laziness you might have another reason to delay? And then just drink up from the bottle at first, since it seems you do that anyway?

Another thing you can do is, I cook less well while drinking, so I'll have a glass of wine straight out, if possible, while watching a bit of TV or doing some internetting or reading, while the rest is decanting, then make dinner, then drink the decanted wine slowly with my meal (which slows down drinking somewhat I think).

cheron98

briffe wrote:What in the description of the wine made it appear to be cooked?

The fact that it had seeped through the entire cork and the top of the cork was stained.

cheron98

fairnymph wrote:What does 'packed' mean in this context? I keep seeing people use the term and I still can't figure out its meaning.

Thanks for starting that other thread - great idea!

It's for the other thread. When I say you've been packed, I mean your labrattery has been cross-posted on the RatPack thread If the rat doesn't post it there him/herself, then I or someone else (yathink2 seems to be my partner in crime on this) will cross-post it there. Once I update the weekly header post with a link to the rat report, I let you know "you've been packed" - added to the RatPack.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
cheron98 wrote:The fact that it had seeped through the entire cork and the top of the cork was stained.

beat me to it. clay can elaborate on why it seemed like a cooked wine to him, but cheron nailed it from my perspective. wine this young just does not seep through the cork unless it has been heated significantly above room temperature.

note also that cooked wine isn't like corked wine insofar as the latter is just foul & not drinkable (at least i wouldn't recommend it) but the former may still be acceptable & drinkable. a description of a cooked wine, however, will not faithfully convey to others what they might expect when opening an uncooked bottle of the same. that's all.

do you know... what biodynamics is?