jgaffner

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jgaffner
jwhite6114 wrote:Thanks Jeff ... once more, updated the spreadsheet to reflect this price. This has quickly turned from a "really, woot, this is just about retail price," to "Holy cow! How do you make any money on this?"

Who said anything about making money. I love what I do and hope someday to make money.
Jeff

jgaffner

K00L wrote:Hi Jeff,

Thanks for bringing Saxon Brown back. I am in for three. I am planning on being up in Sonoma on July 4th, Napa the week after. I hope to be able to stop by during my jaunt.

Kevin

Send me any email or call
Jeff

jgaffner

damightyanteater wrote:Jeff or whomever knows about the 2001 zin:

What makes this zin worth the cost? This would be the most expensive zin I've purchased (Im more of a Cab, PS and Pinot fan) and I don't really know what I would be getting into.

Thanks in advance.

Very old vines
Field Blend Zin ( 11 different grapes)
1/2 ton per acre
24 months in french oak
bottle age
and hopefully the winemaker
Cheers
Jeff

jgaffner

aces219 wrote:I was disappointed in the '04 Parmelee-Hill Syrah (it was good, but I felt like it was bad QPR - too young? others agreed with me) I'm still holding a bottle but the Cellartracker window was really short. Jeff, will this continue to improve if I hold it?

I'm very interested in the zin, so if you convince me that I will like this syrah better I might be in. Might need to wait for the rats.

aces219
This Syrah is from Flora Ranch and is very northern Rhone, so much so that one of my customers from a very famous restaurant in Yountville asked me if I had fermented the pig in the tank with this wine. Because he thought it was the most north Rhone like Syrah he had ever had from California.
Cheers
Jeff Gaffner
Saxon Brown Wines

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
andyduncan wrote:It was, though this is from a different vineyard. The 2004 that was up on WW was the Parmelee-Hill “Camp Block” Syrah. This is the Flora Ranch Chalk Hill Syrah.

very true, different vineyard. I thought the Camp Block was good.. but i would not pay over $30 for it. I felt it was lacking in the strong fruit backbone, the flavors came and went. Maybe i should drink another one soon.. we'll see.

But different vineyards completely change the wine. I've seen same winery, same vintage, different vineyards just producing stark stark contrasts in wine.

I'm in love with Syrah's from the central coast tho. Manos, the Hands of Fate blows my mind at their price points.

LBISurfer2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LBISurfer2

After all this wonderful praise from so many respected opinions, and my love of Zinfandel AND Syrah basically made it impossible to stay out. I have never tried Saxon Brown wines before, and love the idea behind the way the wine is made. I find field blending to be a very interesting process, I am taking a trip up to Nor-Cal at the end of the month and this is one winery I would LOVE to get a closer look at. It sounds beautiful. . . . Basically what I am trying to say is:

Saxon Brown - Two Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 5.703s

Last wooter to woot: LBISurfer2

In for two.

LuluS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LuluS

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 5.703s

Last wooter to woot: LuluS

In for two.

Am travelling for work this week. Hope the housesitter was able to pick up the Ty Caton set at UPS for me... I've got my w.w shipping set to will-call since The Employer frowns on personal deliveries at work.

And yeah, what's lit up Idaho on the map this week? Was it the airport reference in the wine story?? Fo shame!

darisgin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darisgin
clayfu wrote:very true, different vineyard. I thought the Camp Block was good.. but i would not pay over $30 for it. I felt it was lacking in the strong fruit backbone, the flavors came and went. Maybe i should drink another one soon.. we'll see.

But different vineyards completely change the wine. I've seen same winery, same vintage, different vineyards just producing stark stark contrasts in wine.

I'm in love with Syrah's from the central coast tho. Manos, the Hands of Fate blows my mind at their price points.

Must. Main...tain...

Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio; Woot Cellars Polyphemus Magnum; Woot Cellars Humbug; Wellington Vineyards Reserve Duo, three pack, three pack + mystery; Peltier Station Lodi Petite Sirah; Ty Caton Three-Pack Sampler; Dry Creek Two-Pack Reds

mozart23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mozart23
yonj46 wrote:Be prepared to start seeking out Zins and wondering if Paul Draper is your leader.

Paul Draper is my hero! I only wish I could pick up wine club orders at the winery instead of paying to ship it 20 miles

WebBull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WebBull

Why is this a Woot? The prices are basically the release prices from the winery.

yonj46

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yonj46
mozart23 wrote:Paul Draper is my hero! I only wish I could pick up wine club orders at the winery instead of paying to ship it 20 miles

As someone who keeps a very modest wine budget, I have sprung on occasion. I purchased a bottle of 1987 Ridge Monte Bello for a Bachelor Party Dinner in Las Vegas. It crossed my mind it might be past it's peak and the sommelier thought the same. However come dinner time it was drinking flawlessly. Absolutely the best wine I've ever had and this was in a supposed off vintage.

No relation to this thread, other than the fact that Paul Draper makes Zin

Winedavid39

quality posts: 193 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

WebBull wrote:Why is this a Woot? The prices are basically the release prices from the winery.

Any time i can get my hands on Saxon Brown, i'm going to do it. and the library pice on the zin is $45.00.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Winedavid39 wrote:Any time i can get my hands on Saxon Brown, i'm going to do it. and the library pice on the zin is $45.00.

It's hard for bulls to do math, hooves make it really difficult to hold a pencil.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 25 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
bhodilee wrote:It's hard for bulls to do math, hooves make it really difficult to hold a pencil.

I guess they can't read the rest of the posts, either. This has already been addressed ad infinitum.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Winedavid39 wrote:Any time i can get my hands on Saxon Brown, i'm going to do it. and the library pice on the zin is $45.00.

Quite frankly I'm surprised this hasn't sold out yet.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL

The 'rat is in the hizzy! Report coming tonight about 9:30p EDT.

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
BobboinAVL wrote:The 'rat is in the hizzy! Report coming tonight about 9:30p EDT.

Man, that is so beautiful.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

shimey013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimey013

vacuums that im broke till Thurs when the new woot comes up...kinda sad im going to miss this

My Cellar

W: 2 W.W: 5 S.W: 1

andyduncan

BobboinAVL wrote:The 'rat is in the hizzy! Report coming tonight about 9:30p EDT.

Lucky [woot filter]

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
andyduncan wrote:Lucky [woot filter]

paryb

Never saw an answer yesterday, maybe got lost in the shuffle, but I was wondering about the specifics on the wines.

ArcheDiver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ArcheDiver

So my normal day off is wednesday, but had some personal things to take care of and swapped with someone so I could be off today. Boss just calls me to tell me that both my Dry Creek reds AND my Twiseted Oak orders arrived today. I'm thinking this cannot wait until tomorow. Guess I'm going in to work today after all.

hardground

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hardground

Amen, brother, and keep them coming. I'd buy a SB every month if you had them.

Why is there so much wine left at the end of my money?

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
LuluS wrote:Am travelling for work this week. Hope the housesitter was able to pick up the Ty Caton set at UPS for me... I've got my w.w shipping set to will-call since The Employer frowns on personal deliveries at work.

How did you get it set up that UPS will call you when it arrives so that you can pick it up, instead of it having to go through an initial failed delivery attempt before you can pick it up?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
andyduncan wrote:Quite frankly I'm surprised this hasn't sold out yet.

It's because I decided I can't buy this offering, sad as I am about it. And I'm sure plenty of others that went in for 27 bottles of Ty Caton are in the same boat as me.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 25 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
HitAnyKey42 wrote:It's because I decided I can't buy this offering, sad as I am about it. And I'm sure plenty of others that went in for 27 bottles of Ty Caton are in the same boat as me.

Really! And it's not just the TC, either. There's been a lot of really irresistible offers here the last couple of months.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
HitAnyKey42 wrote:It's because I decided I can't buy this offering, sad as I am about it. And I'm sure plenty of others that went in for 27 bottles of Ty Caton are in the same boat as me.

I'm not so sure there are plenty of others who went in for 3x 3x Ty Caton because they didn't have the self restraint not to. Many restrained to allow themselves to experience a wider variety of wine such as this offer, and others were able to afford the 27 and this.

Sort of kidding, but you do talk a lot about not purchasing considering you went for 27 in a week, took a week off, then purchased the Twisted Oak. What happened to one order a month? Bad HAK...

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Quite frankly, I'm impressed that you're sticking to your resolve to not buy I'm starting to wear down - I fear the LabRat reports may end up pushing me over the edge.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
barrymccochener wrote:I'm not so sure there are plenty of others who went in for 3x 3x Ty Caton because they didn't have the self restraint not to. Many restrained to allow themselves to experience a wider variety of wine such as this offer, and others were able to afford the 27 and this.

Sort of kidding, but you do talk a lot about not purchasing considering you went for 27 in a week, took a week off, then purchased the Twisted Oak. What happened to one order a month? Bad HAK...

We all have our limits -- and when we reach them the choice is taken from our hands

CT | | | | | |

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
fairnymph wrote:Yeah, it's gonna be a tight fit. My apt is about 30% books, 60% electronics, and then a loveseat and a bed.

The problem is that I live above a pool hall, and across the street (literally, within view from my windows) of both an incredibly obnxious nightclub and a hub postal office. So cigarette smoke, and INSANE STREET NOISE leaks through an AC. It's pure hell. I am moving when my lease is up, but that's not till september and my wine will be dead by then.

e. 11th and 4th ave?

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
jwhite6114 wrote:We all have our limits -- and when we reach them the choice is taken from our hands

That's what happens when you are in for 3

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
jwhite6114 wrote:We all have our limits -- and when we reach them the choice is taken from our hands

Like when you drink too much and pass out??

I'm still hoping for some delicious Oregon Pinot for Thursday!!

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus
Loweeel wrote:Because you are relatively inexperienced in the ways of PS ;)

Hmmm :drool:

norvegicus

DonaldWilliams wrote:I know it can be risky, buyer beware and all that, but don't overlook craigslist. I found a new Magic Chef 50 bottle wine cooler (with a scratch on the side, but it's going in the basement wine cellar, so who cares about that?) in Buffalo for $95.

EDIT: Or there's this one on eBay: eBay link

The Avanti on eBay looks EXACTLY the same as the Vinotemp that's on sale $60 cheaper at Target...

mbrengman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbrengman

Holy Carp! I've been labratted! but with a 2006 Syrah?. Its only 100F in Va today so showed up at work little warm to the touch. More to follow tonite.

norvegicus

Syrah L'abrat checking in!

Expected review posting time approximately 8pm EDT, maybe a little earlier. I have to go to a meeting from 6 to about 7...

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mbrengman wrote:Holy Carp! I've been labratted! but with a 2006 Syrah?. Its only 100F in Va today so showed up at work little warm to the touch. More to follow tonite.

Oh dear... I think you guys with the 2006 Syrah got the labrat offering for the second half of the week! 2006 Syrah for Thursday, folks! (I think WD just died a little inside)

Wasn't there a little note in there saying "SHH Don't say anything til Thursday!!"?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

paryb

cheron98 wrote:Oh dear... I think you guys with the 2006 Syrah got the labrat offering for the second half of the week! 2006 Syrah for Thursday, folks! (I think WD just died a little inside)

Wasn't there a little note in there saying "SHH Don't say anything til Thursday!!"?

Heh, I was just about to waltz in here and say OY! That's the 2006 Syrah, what's the story mornin glory!

andyduncan

norvegicus wrote:Syrah L'abrat checking in!

Expected review posting time approximately 8pm EDT, maybe a little earlier. I have to go to a meeting from 6 to about 7...

You're flipping us off in that picture! Fine! Rub it in!

jgaffner

mbrengman wrote:Holy Carp! I've been labratted! but with a 2006 Syrah?. Its only 100F in Va today so showed up at work little warm to the touch. More to follow tonite.

OK OK OK I’m an WAFFLES! TASTY WAFFLES!, I pulled the wrong vintage and gave David the 2006 Syrah Flora Ranch – very sorry! I guess you get to be one of the few people who get to taste this will before release. I wish I could tell you it’s really one of the perks of being a “labrat” and David made me do it, but no the winemaker screwed up - I’m very sorry. As far as the wine the 06 and the 05 both have the same “site signature”.
Cheers
Jeff Gaffner
Saxon Brown Wines