paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
fairnymph wrote:Which brand/bottle size is it? *goes to search for this 'pub' thing*

vinotemp 28 bottle unit. It is certainly not the best thing in the world. Temp can fluxuate if you don't keep in in a pretty stable place, but for the 134 bones I paid for it, it's well worth the do'h.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
fairnymph wrote:Which brand/bottle size is it? *goes to search for this 'pub' thing*

Pub is the Cyberpub in the World of Woot Wine section of the forums.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

paryb

Ok, let me jump back on topic, so as to appease the woot gods.

This zin is an old fart....any decanting notes from those of you who have had it/made it? Do I need to roast an entire pig in the ground, or would this make pork chops happy.

The Syrah isn't getting much air time. I'd love to hear a bit about it, since I've got a couple headed my way, are we talking a chile relleno and barbacoa syrah, the kind that will kick you in the knee, then give you a high five....or is it on the mellow side of the varietal. Drink? Hold?

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
fairnymph wrote:I am so pathetic at geography I thought ID was COLORADO. *headdesk*

At least I knew VA was VA. I am sad to see NY so poorly underrepresented.

Btw, I need to buy an 18-30 bottle wine cooler for under $200 that is decent - is that possible and any suggestions?

click here

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

yonj46

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yonj46
txmusicman49 wrote:Do you mostly hang at the Frisco or Southlake store?

Frisco, I live in McKinney. My brother law got a job there we were hanging out there so much. I have a 3 year old and he is taking up alot of my going out wine time. Which is a good thing. Cause after a few flights i wander over to the retail store and buy more than I should.

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

Looks like w.w. cherry picked another offer and they’re offering fresh picked cherries to go with it! Check out the side deal…dip those in a little chocolate to have with your Saxon Zin! :-p

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
paryb wrote:Ok, let me jump back on topic, so as to appease the woot gods.

This zin is an old fart....any decanting notes from those of you who have had it/made it? Do I need to roast an entire pig in the ground, or would this make pork chops happy.

The Syrah isn't getting much air time. I'd love to hear a bit about it, since I've got a couple headed my way, are we talking a chile relleno and barbacoa syrah, the kind that will kick you in the knee, then give you a high five....or is it on the mellow side of the varietal. Drink? Hold?

As I recall, the 2004 was delicious. The first bottle I had really blew me away: very fruity, luscious, full. Delicious. I gifted one bottle to a favorite relative for Christmas. The second bottle I had, months later, was less fruit forward, a more tannic, but still very good. It has been a while since I had either, but from my Cellar Tracker notes:

jwhite6114 wrote:11/1/2007 rated 90 points: Holy Toledo, Batman!

I opened a bottle of this last night, and good god! Was this wine good!

I wasn't sure if this would need to decant or just breathe in the glass, so upon opening I poured a small amount into the glass, gave it a swirl and took a sip. Wow, tasty. I took a bigger drink. This was great! Screw decanting, I poured a full glass right there, and plugged the cork back in the bottle, because I didn't want this stuff changing one bit!

Firstly, the nose of this wine was very fruity. I even had my 13 year old sniff it and his comments were, "Just like wine. No, actually, it is fruity and a little acid-y". (Ok, so he's better at this already than I am). The aroma was not very strong, as in it did not waft out of the glass or linger in my nose, but it was very very pleasant.

The color, before I get to the taste was ruby on the edges, blending to a rather opaque purple. Even with only a small amount in the glass, it was mostly opaque when held to the light.

Now, the flavor: this is one my favorites wines I have ever tried. Quite fruity, but not sweet. Definitely tasting berries and plums in this one, with a creamy undercurrent. The finish nicely balances the fruity beginning with a slight acidity that leaves the whole experience feeling complete. Even with the long finish, I could not wait for the next drink.

As eager as I was for each next drink, I was still helping my 7 year old study spelling and Native Americans, so I did not blow through this like I would had I been drinking with friends. As the wine developed in the glass, the acidic finish tended to get stronger. Never to the point of being unpleasant, but not quite as balanced after 30 minutes as it was upon pouring. Fortunately, my re-corked bottle had maintained the original character, so a second glass was quickly enjoyed.

If I were to give this wine a number, I'd say 90. The original taste, for me, is definitely a 94 - 95, but the fact that it declined over the course of 30 minutes or so, brings it down a bit. Still a fabulous wine that I cannot wait to finish tonight. I am glad I ordered two sets, and wishing now that I had ordered a full case.

12/15/2007 rated 87 points: Not quite as blown away as the first time ... not sure what made it different, but the flavor was not as strong. (153 views)

Conroo also has notes on CT (again for the 2004 Syrah):

conroo wrote:Tasted by conroo on 12/8/2007 & rated 91 points: Upon opening, the cork bottom had a deep purple tinge and a smell of must and earth. At first pour, the beautiful deep garnet color of the wine reminded me of the forthcoming holidays. I poured a bit into my moderately priced Reidel Vivant red wine stems I just received as a gift and decanted the rest of the bottle. This Petite Syrah has long legs that hold on to the sides of the glass. The first sip was a bit tannic, but it settled down quite nicely with time in the decanter.

There was earth and fresh air on the nose. Berries, earth and smooth oak on the palate. The finish was neither too long nor short with a some spice and a dreamy warmth.

This wine just got better and better as time passed. I was surprised and pleased at the tendency of this wine to get slightly sweeter as it stood open to the air.
CT | | | | | |

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
paryb wrote:vinotemp 28 bottle unit. It is certainly not the best thing in the world. Temp can fluxuate if you don't keep in in a pretty stable place, but for the 134 bones I paid for it, it's well worth the do'h.

That looks perfect! Here's my concern: I live in NYC, in an non-AC'ed apt. The temperature inside my aparment rignt now is the high 80s,and sometimes goes into the 90s. Will this keep my reds adequately cool for long term storage?

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

fairnymph

eric9tx wrote:click here

It looks like an awesome deal, and many people seem to be suggesting it!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
fairnymph wrote:I am sad to see NY so poorly underrepresented.

That's cuz I've currently got my I Want One! clicking finger under house arrest.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
fairnymph wrote:That looks perfect! Here's my concern: I live in NYC, in an non-AC'ed apt. The temperature inside my aparment rignt now is the high 80s,and sometimes goes into the 90s. Will this keep my reds adequately cool for long term storage?

Doubtful, but when you're talking those kinda temps anything is better than nothing. Are you not allowed to have a window A/C unit? And if not have you seen these? Windowless A/C units

I dont' know how well they work, and there's a bunch of brands, but if I were you. I'd invest in one or two.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
fairnymph wrote:That looks perfect! Here's my concern: I live in NYC, in an non-AC'ed apt. The temperature inside my aparment rignt now is the high 80s,and sometimes goes into the 90s. Will this keep my reds adequately cool for long term storage?

If you mean years, they will age more rapidly / won't last nearly as long under those conditions.
This type of cooler will probably only give you 15-20 degrees below ambient temperature.

shimey013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimey013
HitAnyKey42 wrote:That's cuz I've currently got my I Want One! clicking finger under house arrest.

A wine you arent buying...I mean come on..usually you are jumping on stuff quick..what did you set bail on your finger at?? llo

My Cellar

W: 2 W.W: 5 S.W: 1

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
fairnymph wrote:It looks like an awesome deal, and many people seem to be suggesting it!

I was only suggesting, not recommending as I don't own that particualr brand. I will, however, be buying one this evening. I have a VERY similar one by Urbina Design, and it works great (in an airconditioned house).

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
HitAnyKey42 wrote:That's cuz I've currently got my I Want One! clicking finger under house arrest.

The operative word here being "currently", as in the present situation that is very soon to change.

CT | | | | | |

bhodilee

fairnymph wrote:It looks like an awesome deal, and many people seem to be suggesting it!

I just got this email from Costco for this Portable A/C unit. You may want to invest in it.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

fairnymph

SonomaBouliste wrote:If you mean years, they will age more rapidly / won't last nearly as long under those conditions.
This type of cooler will probably only give you 15-20 degrees below ambient temperature.

So what kind of cooler WOULD I need to get to give me more cooling with such high ambient temps?

fairnymph

bhodilee wrote:I just got this email from Costco for this Portable A/C unit. You may want to invest in it.

I don't have room for an AC unit, really - my apt is less than 200 sq feet (REALLY). I also can NOT handle window AC units, they drive me absolutely batty. I would rather melt to death than get one.

paryb

phew, that sounds like a problem. see I've seen my fluctuate, I usually keep it on the low side during the summer, but then again I keep my swamp cooler running about 20 hours a day. At the very least, if you keep this thing on, you are at least going to keep your bottles below the danger zone of 80° and above.

bhodilee

fairnymph wrote:I don't have room for an AC unit, really - my apt is less than 200 sq feet (REALLY). I also can NOT handle window AC units, they drive me absolutely batty. I would rather melt to death than get one.

holy carp, you don't really have room for a cooler than either. I would imagine though you're going to need your regular compressor type. Maybe get a dorm fridge and set the temp up on it instead of a cooler.

Is it the noise that bothers you about them? I hate the noise they make with a passion. I'm a wuss though, I'd still have one.,

fairnymph

bhodilee wrote:holy carp, you don't really have room for a cooler than either. I would imagine though you're going to need your regular compressor type. Maybe get a dorm fridge and set the temp up on it instead of a cooler.

Is it the noise that bothers you about them? I hate the noise they make with a passion. I'm a wuss though, I'd still have one.,

Yeah, it's gonna be a tight fit. My apt is about 30% books, 60% electronics, and then a loveseat and a bed.

The problem is that I live above a pool hall, and across the street (literally, within view from my windows) of both an incredibly obnxious nightclub and a hub postal office. So cigarette smoke, and INSANE STREET NOISE leaks through an AC. It's pure hell. I am moving when my lease is up, but that's not till september and my wine will be dead by then.

I thinking a dorm fridge will be best. It's better for the wine to be a bit too cold than too hot, right?

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
jwhite6114 wrote:As I recall, the 2004 was delicious.

It was, though this is from a different vineyard. The 2004 that was up on WW was the Parmelee-Hill “Camp Block” Syrah. This is the Flora Ranch Chalk Hill Syrah.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

MarkDaSpark

fairnymph wrote:So what kind of cooler WOULD I need to get to give me more cooling with such high ambient temps?

I picked up this 45 bottle Dual Zone one at Costco using a coupon in February. Home Depot also has it (which is what the link goes to) at $449, but with a $50 rebate if you buy before July 6th. Problem is that it weighs a little over 100 pounds, but is fairly quiet.

Home Depot also has a similar one without the Dual-Zone cooling (whites in one, reds in the other) here for only $249 with a $30 rebate. And it's only 70 pounds.

Check out the Coolers thread for more info on wine coolers. Lot of links there on more wine coolers that cost less.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Hey guys, you're polluting the SB thread. Move it on over to The Pub or the Coolers thread.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

My turn for a shameless plug. Connecticut inaugural wine gathering.

Click here for more information

And rlrct, leave the main thread and check it out.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

granheq

quality posts: 2 Private Messages granheq

Favorite wine period. The 2000 zin was to die for. The 2004 syrah was another excellent offering. Combine 1 year later duo of these and I can't pass it up. I still have one of the '04 syrah in my cellar and plan to hold this zin for a day I need a little sunshine.

The first SB zin I had was drank pretty much right after uncorking. It was very full and round in the mouth. The next bottle we had a few months later we decanted for about 2 hours. The extremely small bite we had first go around was completely gone. The normal zin characteristics of pepper & tannins, while still there, were very much in the background letting strong fruit & jam textures take over.

The Syrah while not *as* good was also 4 years younger. I could see how another couple years would make it the zin's equal. Also very full bodied and great mid to back pallet. This is one of those wines you can just "drink your dinner" with.

Anyone on the fence would be very greatful they jumped on this.

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus
yonj46 wrote:I would highly recommend this book. Really gives you some insight into the grape and especially its history in CA

Zin: The History And Mystery Of Zinfandel

Thanks for that recommendation! On the reading list...

norvegicus

fairnymph wrote:I am so pathetic at geography I thought ID was COLORADO. *headdesk*

At least I knew VA was VA. I am sad to see NY so poorly underrepresented.

Btw, I need to buy an 18-30 bottle wine cooler for under $200 that is decent - is that possible and any suggestions?

The Vinotemp 28 bottle thermoelectric cooler is on sale at Target for $139.99, down from $199.99.

I bought one on the weekend and I'm happy so far.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

DISCLAIMER: BELOW YOU WILL FIND THE WINEMAKER'S NOTES FOR DIFFERENT VINTAGES OF THE TWO WINES OFFERED HERE. THEY ARE PROVIDED STRICTLY FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES. ANY CONCLUSIONS ABOUT THEIR RELEVANCE TO THE WINES OFFERED HERE ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

i thought the following might be instructive until Jeff provides updated notes. the specifics of the wines offered here will certainly differ but likely not the descriptions of the vineyards nor of Jeff's winemaking methods. and, again, USE THEM AT YOUR OWN PERIL!

[BLAH BLAH BLAH]

EDIT: WELL, PERIL INDEED! USELESS DRIVEL IS MORE LIKE IT! SPARKY, MY MAIN MAN, I BOW TO YOUR SUPERIOR PSITHNESS!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

WillLine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WillLine

My Ty Caton 2005 Field Blend was delivered Today in the triple digit heat. One of the corks was about 1/2 an inch out and the top of the foil was off. Another one had a litte leakage that was sticky to the touch. What should I do? Will these wines be OK?

yonj46

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yonj46
norvegicus wrote:Thanks for that recommendation! On the reading list...

Be prepared to start seeking out Zins and wondering if Paul Draper is your leader.

aces219

quality posts: 6 Private Messages aces219

I was disappointed in the '04 Parmelee-Hill Syrah (it was good, but I felt like it was bad QPR - too young? others agreed with me) I'm still holding a bottle but the Cellartracker window was really short. Jeff, will this continue to improve if I hold it?

I'm very interested in the zin, so if you convince me that I will like this syrah better I might be in. Might need to wait for the rats.

MarkDaSpark

themostrighteous wrote:DISCLAIMER: BELOW YOU WILL FIND THE WINEMAKER'S NOTES FOR DIFFERENT VINTAGES OF THE TWO WINES OFFERED HERE. THEY ARE PROVIDED STRICTLY FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES. ANY CONCLUSIONS ABOUT THEIR RELEVANCE TO THE WINES OFFERED HERE ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

... snip .....

O ancient and slow one, I already linked to the winemaker's notes for the current vintages here somewhere on page one and woot staff already listed and linked it at the beginning.

After all, us PSith PSadawans must keep on our toes ....

MarkDaSpark

WillLine wrote:My Ty Caton 2005 Field Blend was delivered Today in the triple digit heat. One of the corks was about 1/2 an inch out and the top of the foil was off. Another one had a litte leakage that was sticky to the touch. What should I do? Will these wines be OK?

Email service at woot about the two and ask.

shimey013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimey013

I thought I'd post this cause this video i just saw and Gary V mentions the 2005 Syrah and how he loved it and hated 2004.......But yea, its just a Wine 101 video where he mentions the 2005 Syrah that is forsale here...

http://www.eatdrinkordie.com/videos/c316dc74e2

My Cellar

W: 2 W.W: 5 S.W: 1

norvegicus

yonj46 wrote:Be prepared to start seeking out Zins and wondering if Paul Draper is your leader.

I'm already seeking out Zins. It's my favorite varietal I think. I want to know why.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
MarkDaSpark wrote:O ancient and slow one, I already linked to the winemaker's notes for the current vintages here somewhere on page one and woot staff already listed and linked it at the beginning.

After all, us PSith PSadawans must keep on our toes ....

OH MY!!! please see my edited post. thank you for limiting the amount of time during which i was shamed by the obsolescence of my post.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
norvegicus wrote:I'm already seeking out Zins. It's my favorite varietal I think. I want to know why.

Because you are relatively inexperienced in the ways of PS ;)

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 35 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
fairnymph wrote:

I know it can be risky, buyer beware and all that, but don't overlook craigslist. I found a new Magic Chef 50 bottle wine cooler (with a scratch on the side, but it's going in the basement wine cellar, so who cares about that?) in Buffalo for $95.

EDIT: Or there's this one on eBay: eBay link

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

themostrighteous wrote:OH MY!!! please see my edited post. thank you for limiting the amount of time during which i was shamed by the obsolescence if my post.

No problemo, O PSith Psadawan of the PSecond Degree.

MarkDaPSpark, Psith Psadawan of the Third Degree ....