shimey013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimey013

As much as I'd like to pick this up, my budget doesnt allow $30+ a bottle yet....and with still trying to find a red that says "WOW" I'm going to have to pass this week. hopefully Summer heat will allow some summer ordering, but if not....Fall is right around the corner ;)

My Cellar

W: 2 W.W: 5 S.W: 1

NatalieW

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NatalieW

Yum! Hooray!

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

I would love to labrat the zin.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus
rpm wrote:I would love to labrat the zin.

So would I.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

On the flip side we'd love the Syrah.
In for 1.

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold

Drat, no NH again. No Sackville Baggins for me :-(

shangrali

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shangrali

I gotta order some. The price....hmmm will need to compare vs. some Trader Joe's "good stuff".

woot from New Mexico

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

The prior zin offered here was amazing, and I couldn't pass this up.

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 5.703s

Last wooter to woot: otolith

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

yellowroe

quality posts: 6 Private Messages yellowroe
shangrali wrote:I gotta order some. The price....hmmm will need to compare vs. some Trader Joe's "good stuff".

woot from New Mexico

What are some of the Trader Joe's good stuff? I will be stopping there while on vacation this summer and buying a case of wines. What would you recommend?

yellowroe

norvegicus wrote:So would I.

I think we ALL would. Zins and syrah's are my favorite. Never had a Saxon Brown so can't wait!

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
damightyanteater wrote:Is there any way you can put some sort of shipping info into the spread sheet?

For example, the most expensive states cost $27 for 1-3 bottles from the winery direct. So to be fair to woot, you should add that value to winery's price. It would edge wine.woot a bit in terms of savings.

SparkyMark hit it right: too many variables to include a single shipping cost for the retail version. However, I am trying to come up with a way to share the file and leave some selected fields open for anyone to modify. You could then add in your own "retail shipping" cost and select 1, 2, or 3 orders for yourself (without having to refer to the "calcultions" tab).

CT | | | | | |

shimey013

yellowroe wrote:What are some of the Trader Joe's good stuff? I will be stopping there while on vacation this summer and buying a case of wines. What would you recommend?

Trader Joes sells alot of 2 buck chuck (Charles Shaw) I dont recommend that

Another cheap one i recommend staying away from is Beaudeax (something like that) its a red wine, with like a red figure on the label, with a red top. Anyway, its like $4 a bottle (it was pretty nasty)(Tried it at a tasting, and it scared me )

I personally like whites, picked up some Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc 10.99 a bottle (nice clean stuff) or you can go with his private collection 9.99 (this is what im drinking now and i really like it)

Also normally around noon Trader Joes will have wine tasting and may have a couple beers to taste...try what they have you may be suprised

My Cellar

yonj46

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yonj46

The 2000 Zin was the one that has me checking wine.woot every Monday.

That being said, I have been less than impressed with some of the more recent red offerings from Saxon, Zinfandels excluded. Still good solid wines, possibly a little on the high side price wise for the value delivered. If I wasn't sharing a wine club membership already I would pull the trigger as Jeff's Zinfandels are some of the best and what drove me deeper into wine.

Also to whoever is sitting on the 2000. I would crack it ASAP.I popped the original on Thanksgiving 06 and it rocked my world. However I waited over a year to crack the next one and it was on its way down.

Also for fans of Armida Poizin Jeff is a consulting wine maker there as well too, if I remember correctly. Not sure of the day to day activities and what wines he's involved in.

The 2000 also drove me into looking into the history of ZIN. I would highly recommend this book. Really gives you some insight into the grape and especially its history in CA

Zin: The History And Mystery Of Zinfandel

Also maybe the offering Thursday will include some of Saxon's Field Blended Semillon, Jeff other Label Black Kite Pinot, or maybe a nice bottle of 1996 Cinq Cepage from his days at Chateau St Jean?

Jeff, Could you speak to the 2005+ vintages. Rumors out of ZAP etc are that overall ZIn's are being made in a more restrained classical style, like Saxon and with lower alcohols. Seems like the marketplace is catching up with your approach.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

And thus it begins

I guess this counts as a coveted "RPM Approved" offer, though! Of course, as so many have already said, Saxon Brown is a no brainer.

CT | | | | | |

yellowroe

shimey013 wrote:Trader Joes sells alot of 2 buck chuck (Charles Shaw) I dont recommend that

Another cheap one i recommend staying away from is Beaudeax (something like that) its a red wine, with like a red figure on the label, with a red top. Anyway, its like $4 a bottle (it was pretty nasty)(Tried it at a tasting, and it scared me )

I personally like whites, picked up some Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc 10.99 a bottle (nice clean stuff) or you can go with his private collection 9.99 (this is what im drinking now and i really like it)

Also normally around noon Trader Joes will have wine tasting and may have a couple beers to taste...try what they have you may be suprised

Will try to stop at noon time - thanks for the info.

shimey013

yellowroe wrote:Will try to stop at noon time - thanks for the info.

No problem, i know Sat and Sunday they have it, im not sure during the week since I never get to go during the week...but also if you can Find a Total Wine and More while you are on vacation, you may want to stop by one on a Sat around noon too, because they have wine tastings there too ( last wine tasting i went to at Total wine, if you decided you wanted one of the wine, the wine consineaur gave you a coupon too *$1 off $10+ wine, 50 cents off <$10 wine* something else you may wanna look out for...he said they dont always do the coupon thing though ) just another suggestion if you may wanna look out for

My Cellar

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 5 Private Messages LoonBoarder
uhoerhold wrote:Drat, no NH again. No Sackville Baggins for me :-(

What he said. So this becomes a 3-week down window for me, due to (a) avoiding deliveries while away on vacation, (b) being shut out by the NH bureaucrats, and (c) being incommunicado next week. My credit card just breathed a sigh of relief.

Dude... wait, what?

inkwench

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkwench

As soon as I get my check, I'm definitely in. For one, and 3 if there's enough $$$.

Also cover the loan I got to get the Ty.

Love Saxon Brown, and I'm down to one bottle of their Zin....

In inverse and not complete order. Rinfrescante. Pepper Bridge. Saxon Brown. Monkey Prize. Vina Robles. Ty Caton Tytanium (always!). Roshambo. Polyphemus. Donati Family. Poizon. Montinore. Kent Rasumussen. Mumm Napa. Boss Monster. Iron Horse. Albino Rhino. White Zeppelin, Buttonwood Farm, 8-Bit, Ty Caton Racchus, Twas!

darisgin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darisgin
yellowroe wrote:What are some of the Trader Joe's good stuff? I will be stopping there while on vacation this summer and buying a case of wines. What would you recommend?

Every now and again I go on a "Trader Joe Cheap-O Shopping Spree," and I always regret it. Much of the supercheaps taste, to me, like the wine equivalent of Cheez Wizz, you know, a "processed wine beverage" or perhaps a "wine-flavored drink (Guaranteed 10% wine!)"

Praise be I like Sangria...

That said, there WAS a good petite syrah for $5.99 (the name escapes me now)... but that was an anomaly; worse, it was a case of random reinforcement, so now of course I am doomed to continue the pursuit...

Oh, one more thing: Trader Joe also sells mainstream wines (Bogle claret, e.g.), usually at VERY GOOD discounts relative to other shoppes; I can only guess that their high end stuff also has similar discounts, but I would bring my mobile browser to comparison shop...

AS FOR TODAY'S SELECTION:
I *wish* I hadn't had a bit too many tastes at a recent Grand Tasting and pretty much blown any concept of a wine budget, because I might have gone in on this BUT

Woot.

Really.

When was the last time you shipped to Massachusetts?! Really, it would be nice... my NH and CT wine mules think I have a problem (which I very well may) what with all these boxes showing up at random moments at their places of work...

Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio; Woot Cellars Polyphemus Magnum; Woot Cellars Humbug; Wellington Vineyards Reserve Duo, three pack, three pack + mystery; Peltier Station Lodi Petite Sirah; Ty Caton Three-Pack Sampler; Dry Creek Two-Pack Reds

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

i might have jumped on this one but the price is too far out of my range and i am not very familiar with this vineyard...........come on wine woot, bring back some bargains!!
it's bad enough when you're getting hosed at the gas pump!

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

WD, just sent an e-mail asking to be a brat. I'd love to cut my brat teeth on this one! Zin was how I was introduced to reds, at a San Fran wine shop, with Giradelli chocolate. It's a memory I'll never forget.

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

I'm now really regretting going in for Twisted Oak last week -- the wallet is screaming. And yet it only took me about ten minutes of convincing myself to go in for two before I did it. I am pathetic. But at least I can drown my sorrows in SB juice now.

brinkmann0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brinkmann0

Sweet! more Saxon Brown Zin... the 2000 from Woot! was great so I went out searching for more Zin by Saxon Brown - The 2002 was similarly good, and I have some of the '05 "Stonewall" Parmelee-Hill zin that I have yet to try. I guess what I am trying to say is... "in for three!"

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

Hey WD, did I ever mention that Zin is my favorite varietal?!

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

yonj46

boaz38 wrote:i might have jumped on this one but the price is too far out of my range and i am not very familiar with this vineyard...........come on wine woot, bring back some bargains!!
it's bad enough when you're getting hosed at the gas pump!

boaz this is one worth paying for. Small production, great winemaker. where can you find a 2001 cellared at the winery at this price?

at the very least worth taking a flyer on and expanding your pallete.

pfcouvar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pfcouvar

rpm or others (in particular the winemaker): any thoughts on Doug Nalle and his zins? I know it's somewhat tangential, but it relates to zin style in general as I consider this offer. I recently had a bottle of the 2005 Nalle (friend ordered it blind at a restaurant, and I was blown away), and subsequently visited the winery and spent about an hour and a half talking with Doug about why his wines taste so different. He opened a bottle of his 1989 zin (5% cab); it was the oldest zin I had ever had, and was lovely and not at all what I expected.

In any case, since that visit I've been using his wines as sort of a starting point against which I try to understand other zins I drink. Where might I expect this Saxon Brown to fall in the zin continuum between, say, a big blockbuster (e.g., from Martinelli) on one hand, and an old-fashioned structured zin? I see Saxon Brown uses open-top fermentation like Nalle; Doug explained he uses it in part because it both keeps the alcohol levels down and reduces VA. I'm excited to see that Saxon also uses a field blend like Nalle, which I understand is pretty rare these days. But I don't know anything of the hundred other factors and decisions that might make these similar or different.

I hope these aren't crazy questions, I'm just trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can... as I've said before, wine.woot has been the best wine education around. Thanks.

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
yonj46 wrote:where can you find a 2001 cellared at the winery at this price?

This.

Every once in a while, you can find a really old wine hanging out on the back of a shelf at the grocery store, especially one like mine that doesn't sell a whole bunch of wine...but you have no idea at all how that bottle has been treated. You know that this one is going to be well cared for and awesome. Just sayin.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

yanktex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yanktex

I've purchased nearly every week since mid-February and I have such an over-abundance of wine right now I'm having trouble finding a place to store it all, and promised myself I was out this week, but I love Zin and simply cannot say no to this. A couple of weeks ago there was a tasting here in D.C. that included some 40+ producers who were pouring only Zinfandel. It was a rather intoxicating night, in more than one way...although by the end of the night everyone looked like their teeth were rotting out. So, guess I'll have to be in for three. It's going to be an expensive week.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Me too. The 2000 is among the best wines I've ever experienced.

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo
fairnymph wrote:If I loved PoiZin, am I likely to love this Zin?

I like Syrah well enough, but it's not a beloved wine like Zins have been for me lately - I've really gotten into them over the past year. So I pretty much got this for the Zin and based on the ravings of others!

Oh and I am BLACK! Yay.

Good for you.....about being black that is...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
inkwench wrote:As soon as I get my check, I'm definitely in. For one, and 3 if there's enough $$$.

Also cover the loan I got to get the Ty.

Love Saxon Brown, and I'm down to one bottle of their Zin....

Just remember this is only up until Wednesday 11:59 PM. Thursday 12 Midnight a new SB comes up. So hopefully your check will come in today or tomorrow.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

yonj46

pfcouvar wrote:rpm or others (in particular the winemaker): any thoughts on Doug Nalle and his zins? I know it's somewhat tangential, but it relates to zin style in general as I consider this offer. I recently had a bottle of the 2005 Nalle (friend ordered it blind at a restaurant, and I was blown away), and subsequently visited the winery and spent about an hour and a half talking with Doug about why his wines taste so different. He opened a bottle of his 1989 zin (5% cab); it was the oldest zin I had ever had, and was lovely and not at all what I expected.

In any case, since that visit I've been using his wines as sort of a starting point against which I try to understand other zins I drink. Where might I expect this Saxon Brown to fall in the zin continuum between, say, a big blockbuster (e.g., from Martinelli) on one hand, and an old-fashioned structured zin? I see Saxon Brown uses open-top fermentation like Nalle; Doug explained he uses it in part because it both keeps the alcohol levels down and reduces VA. I'm excited to see that Saxon also uses a field blend like Nalle, which I understand is pretty rare these days. But I don't know anything of the hundred other factors and decisions that might make these similar or different.

I hope these aren't crazy questions, I'm just trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can... as I've said before, wine.woot has been the best wine education around. Thanks.

Jeff could speak to the production, but in regards to finesse vs a punch in the mouth. Saxons style while powerful from a fruit point of view, is subtle and velvety. They exhibit all the characteristics of a great zin, strong black and blue fruit pepper etc but very well balanced.

His Zin's are one's not worth wasting on a summer bbq of short ribs.

I think that is why some of the people hesitant should jump on that 01 zin.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

speedoo wrote:Me too. The 2000 is among the best wines I've ever experienced.

High praise indeed.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jwhite6114 wrote:SparkyMark hit it right: too many variables to include a single shipping cost for the retail version. However, I am trying to come up with a way to share the file and leave some selected fields open for anyone to modify. You could then add in your own "retail shipping" cost and select 1, 2, or 3 orders for yourself (without having to refer to the "calcultions" tab).

What if you added another shipping field for "Winery/Other", and used that for the Retail Price calculations? Let the user add the cost of shipping from the winery or internet site themselves. Right now, the calcs for SB don't look that much better, since we don't have shipping costs from the winery added to the retail costs. Maybe default it to $15 or $20.

The problem really is adding in Sales Tax (when necessary, such as buying it at a local store (wine store or otherwise) or when the winery is in your state). Maybe a cell for you to add your local sales tax, and then another column to total it in with the other costs?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

jgaffner

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jgaffner

Good morning everyone.
Sorry for not posting earlier, busy morning.

Cheers
Jeff Gaffner
Saxon Brown Wines

yonj46

speedoo wrote:Me too. The 2000 is among the best wines I've ever experienced.

I would agree. I waited tables and always dabbled in some fine wines, never fully grasping them. I tasted the 2000 Saxon Zin and was hooked. From there it was Wine Woot, Winestillsoldout, Wine Library and all the blogs. By the summer of 2007 visiting Napa........and slowly going broke

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

I knew I wasnt going to be able to hold out. In for 2

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 5.703s

Last wooter to woot: yathink2

jgaffner

andyduncan wrote:Yeah and it hasn't been on any of their wine club order forms, so not sure if that's the current price or not. I'm sure Jeff or Tracey will be able to answer questions about availability.

EDIT: If those are the current prices though, would have been $3 cheaper for me to buy direct with the wine club discount. Oh well, WD: buy yourself something nice :-)

Hey Andy,
The 2001 Casa Santinamaira will be offered later this year to wine club members at $45 per btl plus discount.
Cheers
Jeff Gaffner
Saxon Brown Wines

jgaffner

Loweeel wrote:That's odd, no specs on the wines in the writeups this week.

Jeff, I'd love to see them.

I'll try post them later today
Jeff

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
jgaffner wrote:Hey Andy,
The 2001 Casa Santinamaira will be offered later this year to wine club members at $45 per btl plus discount.
Cheers
Jeff Gaffner
Saxon Brown Wines

Looks like you need to update your spreadsheet Jwhite.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings