paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
Gatzby wrote:On that note, there's a brief guide I'm kind of fond of, which was written by a waiter. Note that there's some off-color language, so ask someone to read it aloud to you, censored, if you're sensitive to that. How to order wine without looking like an as*#^!$.

That's pretty funny!

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus
fairnymph wrote:So, drinking (like, full glass amounts) the Syrah again tonight, which I only tasted and vacuumed after yesterday - it is SO bitter, pretty much undrinkable. I guess it must have gotten pretty cooked.

It must have. I'm enjoying the last glass of my bottle right now and it's fine. A little tart maybe but that's probalby because I'm drinking it at 75°F. It spent two days in the refrigerator without serious problem...

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Only 313 sold eh? Would've guessed more than that.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo
tomatillo wrote:DC Wine Store?

Thanks to all for the advice. Was lost when I found my beloved 'Harrys' down by M St. SW was now a construction site. How the years change things! My friends convinced me to gift woot them something the next time I saw something interesting. So I'm probably better off in the long run.

Anyone know if Harry's was reincarnated elsewhere?

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
bhodilee wrote:Pedroncelli was good but underwhelming, the Mother Clone Zin should age pretty well though. I've got a couple bottles of that that's 96' vintage and it's wonderful. Lots of sediment though, I gotta get a strainer before I open the next bottle. I had one that was very port like and one that still showed strong fruit characteristics. These were side by side on the shelf when I found them, which taught me a lot about bottle variation. I loved the L&L's from an everyday standpoint. Not very complicated, but then you can pop and pour them and not wait for decanting either. I would buy them again to have around, but would not serve them to guests I wanted to impress. I drank the hell out of the Mumm's at my wedding reception and they were all very well received. I haven't touched the KR's yet as the general consensus was they could use some age, so I am doing so. I probably wont' touch the PV for 15-20 years.

I wonder if the uneven heating situation in your apartment leads to disappointing woot wines? You shoudl see if you can find a bottle of one of your woots in a wine store and compare them side by side when you get it home.

I can see how the Mother Clone Zin would have benefited from aging. Again, not bad wines, just all very mediocre. The only BAD ones were the KR PV and Esotericas, the rest were all just not worth it IMO.

September-May, it's been very even in my apartment, so I don't think the heat has been an issue up until now, especially since I thought the PoiZin and Nocetos and the 2001 (i think) Corison Cab were truly fabulous. L&L's PS I really hoped to love, but I just found it lacking in fruit and strength and again, overpriced. I much prefer say, the Bogle PS, which is less than half the price!

Based on those I DID really appreciate, what other past offerings do you think I would have liked?

Thanks again for the input!

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

fairnymph

norvegicus wrote:It must have. I'm enjoying the last glass of my bottle right now and it's fine. A little tart maybe but that's probalby because I'm drinking it at 75°F. It spent two days in the refrigerator without serious problem...

Awwww. Where are you located, may I ask?

*still sad, sad, sad*

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
fairnymph wrote:I can see how the Mother Clone Zin would have benefited from aging. Again, not bad wines, just all very mediocre. The only BAD ones were the KR PV and Esotericas, the rest were all just not worth it IMO.

September-May, it's been very even in my apartment, so I don't think the heat has been an issue up until now, especially since I thought the PoiZin and Nocetos and the 2001 (i think) Corison Cab were truly fabulous. L&L's PS I really hoped to love, but I just found it lacking in fruit and strength and again, overpriced. I much prefer say, the Bogle PS, which is less than half the price!

Based on those I DID really appreciate, what other past offerings do you think I would have liked?

Hard for me to say (not just because I am such an amateur myself), as you have only listed a couple of likes. I was disappointed by the Noceto's, and am still need to setup my Corison vertical tasting. I did not get the L&Ls, and PoiZin has been enjoyable for me, too.

Best guesses I can offer of what else you may like based on this limited info and my limited tastings of things so far (some of the pricier offers I have ordered are still cellared):
- Madison Cellars may appeal to you
- Mandolina Tocatta (if you like blends)
- Mill Creek was a "can't go wrong" pack for me -- all of the varietals shipped with that one

Lots more that I have really liked, but I'll refrain as I cannot apply them to your tastes.

CT | | | | | |

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
fairnymph wrote:I can see how the Mother Clone Zin would have benefited from aging. Again, not bad wines, just all very mediocre. The only BAD ones were the KR PV and Esotericas, the rest were all just not worth it IMO.

Is it fair to say that you enjoy fruit forward wines ?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

fairnymph

jwhite6114 wrote:Hard for me to say (not just because I am such an amateur myself), as you have only listed a couple of likes. I was disappointed by the Noceto's, and am still need to setup my Corison vertical tasting. I did not get the L&Ls, and PoiZin has been enjoyable for me, too.

Best guesses I can offer of what else you may like based on this limited info and my limited tastings of things so far (some of the pricier offers I have ordered are still cellared):
- Madison Cellars may appeal to you
- Mandolina Tocatta (if you like blends)
- Mill Creek was a "can't go wrong" pack for me -- all of the varietals shipped with that one

Lots more that I have really liked, but I'll refrain as I cannot apply them to your tastes.

Wow, you didn't even like the Riserva of the Nocetos? Interesting! I do have a fondness for the sangiovese grape, as it was my first true red love. And it's seeming like everyone likes the PoiZin.

Thanks for recs.

fairnymph

bhodilee wrote:Is it fair to say that you enjoy fruit forward wines ?

Ha, yes. Definitely.

I love fruit in food, fine, and perfume. :D

brinkmann0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brinkmann0
solarfish42 wrote:Oh WD, Oh so sadly, your Fresno State Bulldogs are going to go down in royal fashion to my Rice Owls. (I'm still contemplating a trip to Omaha for the games)

LET'S GO RICE!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
brinkmann0 wrote:LET'S GO RICE!

You and solarfish are just begging for corked wine ;)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

brinkmann0 wrote:LET'S GO RICE!

OH, IT IS SO ON !!

jwhite6114

fairnymph wrote:Wow, you didn't even like the Riserva of the Nocetos? Interesting! I do have a fondness for the sangiovese grape, as it was my first true red love. And it's seeming like everyone likes the PoiZin.

Thanks for recs.

I like Sangiovese as far as I can tell , but did not like the Nocetos. Wasn't so much dislike, as completely unimpressed. I liked the Mandolina Sangiovese through woot, though -- very much! As I said (I think), Mandolina has been one of the best offers on woot, so far (IMO, OC).

I like a dry spicy Chianti, too ... so I really don't think it was just the grape. More the style of the producer.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

Winedavid39 wrote:OH, IT IS SO ON !!

Hey -- take it to the pub guys!

(I always wanted to say that !)

CT | | | | | |

andyduncan

jwhite6114 wrote:I like Sangiovese as far as I can tell , but did not like the Nocetos. Wasn't so much dislike, as completely unimpressed. I like a dry spicy Chianti, too ... so I really don't think it was just the grape. More the style of the producer.

I'm with you on the Nocetos, there wasn't anything wrong with them, they just seemed to lack any kind of character. Very fruity, light, and a little uninteresting to me.

andyduncan

I opened one of my 2001 Zins on Monday night.

Right out of the bottle it was a bit closed up. Mostly heat and oak with some black fruit showing through.

Tasting it there was black pepper, acid and alcohol with some really nice bottle bouquet and more black fruit. There was a definite sort of acrid flavor on the finish, not acid, not tannic (although there are still a decent amount of tannins present) almost a little woody like too much oak.

I poured a glass and let it sit for about 30 minutes while I made dinner (Spicy chicken italian sausages over a half-assed rice thing).

The time in the glass and the food definitely helped the wine, the heat had subsided and the fruit was much more apparent. There was good acidity and the peppery dark raspberry (not jammy sweet like blackberry, but a little deeper than just red raspberry) flavors really went well with the sausages.

I saved half the bottle in the fridge for last night and had the remainder with some good cheese Pizza (New York style, from this place near me, not as good as the real thing of course, but pretty decent in a pinch).

The second day it was quite a bit more approachable, the heat was gone and you were left with this really nice bouquet of un-namable (for me) dark fruity smells, but the acid and red/black raspberry fruit was still there and it really went well with the Pizza.

I know it's kind of Sacrilege to drink a bottle this special with pizza, but I can't argue with the results.

I'd recommend decanting this one for a bit (or at least drinking it over an hour or two to see how it progresses).

Like the 1999 and 2000 Santinamaria zins this one has the complexity and structure you'd expect from a nice Cab, but still has that Zin fruit profile. This one still has a large amount of fruit and hasn't gone through the transition that Jeff described as "becoming more like an old barolo or brunello". A transition that I liked a lot more on the '99 than the '00. I'll probably hold on to most of mine for another year or two at least, just to see how they develop, but it's certainly tasting good now, and I wouldn't wait too long if you're more into the big fruity Zins and don't like older wine.

EDIT: I just went and looked at the tasting notes on the main post for this thing:

The 2001 model delivers the same intense raspberry and dried cranberry signature as the 2000, with cherry, dark chocolate, and sweet oak tones.

I think the dried cranberry nails it, that's the flavor I couldn't place, but I would also add the sweet part of sun dried tomato, if that makes any sense, not the vegetable part, but that sour/fruity/intense part.

I tend not to taste dark chocolate in wines, perhaps that's the acrid woody oaky flavor that was so prevalent right out of the bottle.

It's also got some bottle bouquet that I mentioned above that I think is quite special and so hard to describe.

Benjaroo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Benjaroo

sounds delish....hope for more of the above to be offered in the future

jwhite6114

From 7/27/08:

I really think Sonoma Valley is the AVA for me. Was really digging the fruit on this one before I even realized it was Sonoma Valley. Started it with the pasta with tomato sauce and ground beef, melted cheddar on top, and it went well. Then on its own and almost done with the bottle. Tasty, tasty!

CT | | | | | |