+ Add a Comment

winefarm


quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
eljefetwisted wrote:in Vegas selling wine during the day and enjoying a bit of poker in the evenings. ...



Poker?

I'm in.

WD

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
hardground wrote:I got the Grenache.

Light ruby in color, almost Pinot noir-ish. Great aroma. From pop to pour, the smell is what is driving the experience. Take a sip: a little spicy, soft and full of berries. Also, a little bit of earth, too (dust? chicken coop? good either way and I realize I suck at descriptors). The mid palate is strong, but leaves you wishing for more on the finish. A bit more acidity than I'd expect from grenache, which was perfect with dinner.

Serve this wine at party during appetizers, and you won't hear a complaint. It's built for drinking now, though so smoke em if you got em. This is a good bottle to have in your cellar when in the mood for something good but a little trashy. Pizza and pr0n. I like it.



I may have to quote this review on the web site!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
Loweeel wrote:Careful, you might wake up with the end of a Chardonnay barrel in your bed...



Chardonnay? That's gross!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
winefarm wrote:Poker?

I'm in.

WD



There are a LOT of tournament possibilities this weekend. Trying to decide whether to lose my WSOP virginity...

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
eljefetwisted wrote:There are a LOT of tournament possibilities this weekend. Trying to decide whether to lose my WSOP virginity...



If you by me a seat at a table, I'll buy...umm....some of your wine?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

JudyL1118


quality posts: 2 Private Messages JudyL1118
jwhite6114 wrote:So I have a thought on this, that I was going to keep to myself (), but I figured I might as well chime in and get myself smacked so I learn better.

*MY* sense of trempanillo is that it is a good summer red. It is lighter bodied than many reds but still full flavored. In my mind, it compares to sangiovese in terms of body and flavor, though not as much spiciness. Kinda like a Pinot Noir, but not as cool (PN "feels" cool to me ... not , but more summer breeze cool ). I think of Don Quixote, and hot sunny plains with this wine.

So, there is that, for whatever it's worth.



Hey, thanks! So (and now I place my dunce cap on my head for all to see..) these are red wines? Well, now I'm perking up a bit! I just have no idea what the types of wines being offered this week are to begin with. I think I'm getting a better idea now. I like reds - big hearty Cabs are my favorites. Does anyone know where the other two fall in the red zone?

Who hides behind that wine.woot user name?
Please post a quick bio on Getting to Know You
Join us on Facebook, too!

nallie


quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
Gatzby wrote:You'll get a verb and like it, damn you!


Thank you, sir. May I have another?


"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

nallie


quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
JudyL1118 wrote:Hey, thanks! So (and now I place my dunce cap on my head for all to see..) these are red wines? Well, now I'm perking up a bit! I just have no idea what the types of wines being offered this week are to begin with. I think I'm getting a better idea now. I like reds - big hearty Cabs are my favorites. Does anyone know where the other two fall in the red zone?

Based on what I've gleaned, I think you'd love the potty mouth red, Judy. Check out the link in eljefe's sig for more specifics, and there's a nice, tidy easy-to-read labrats thread now, too (thanks for that, Cheron!).

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

shimey013


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimey013

So still trying to find a red that impresses me, so far im .5 for 5...i said .5 because i found one that i kinda like but still nothing terribly impressive....Im hoping these red's do something for me .....

My Cellar

W: 2 W.W: 5 S.W: 1

JudyL1118


quality posts: 2 Private Messages JudyL1118

WineDavid, sir? On the subject of whites, is there any chance we'll be able to act with "Abandon" anytime soon? I'm feeling a need to feel free and dance with joy (presumably upon the completion of cleaning my house.) Are you feeling it, too?

Who hides behind that wine.woot user name?
Please post a quick bio on Getting to Know You
Join us on Facebook, too!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
JudyL1118 wrote:Hey, thanks! So (and now I place my dunce cap on my head for all to see..) these are red wines? Well, now I'm perking up a bit! I just have no idea what the types of wines being offered this week are to begin with. I think I'm getting a better idea now. I like reds - big hearty Cabs are my favorites. Does anyone know where the other two fall in the red zone?



All three of these are reds and they all sound absolutely terrific. I think they might be a sell out so if you're going to buy, do so asap.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

UbiDubi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages UbiDubi

LabRat Report-2005 Tempranillo

1st report, so bear with me.

No decanter available, so opened the wine about an hour before pouring. Having not had Tempranillo before, I knew not what to expect. The aroma was alot like Cabernet to me. That's what I would have guessed by the nose alone.

Poured two glasses, at room temperature, in the hotel room and headed down to dinner at LaStrada in the ElDorado. So no corkage fees, and I will remember Rapscallion for another trip. On first taste, both of us tasted no tannins. Zero. The one word reviews were...

Me: Smooth
Her: Flavorful (It doesn't make my teeth feel fuzzy)

Both of us had the "Chef's Tasting Menu". A four course "surprise" menu. Appetizers were antipasti of roasted vegies, prosciutto, mortadella, mozzarella, olives, and greens. Pasta course of penne w/ roasted tomatoes, saffron risotto, and mushroom ravioli. Main course of chicken Parmesan and swordfish w/ a tomato-caper sauce. Dessert was a vanilla gelato.

The wine "worked" with everything. Didn't try it with the gelato. This did not have a big mouth feel, and not very complex. I picked up definite flavors of berries. Not a "winey" wine. I dubbed it the wine for people who don't like wine. If you have had red wines, and didn't like the "puckerness factor", then this wine would be for you. As ElJefe said earlier, this would be a good starter set to try out reds. I would like to try this wine slightly chilled and see how that affects the body.

Hope this helps someone decide.

MalcolmPX


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MalcolmPX

Well *%#&@! I'm in for two and can't get my minute of fame!

Oh well. I should have some *%#&@! nice red wine in a bit.

Particularly looking forward to the Tempranillo.

iB...er...MalcolmPX

Bringing about an all wine.woot black square by any means necessary.--MalcolmPX

Betty Shirazz? Yeah, I think I know her.

Loweeel


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
eljefetwisted wrote:Chardonnay? That's gross!



I AGREE COMPLETELY!!! But better or worse than a horse's head?

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Here is something interesting for those of you who enjoy enjoy wines and enjoy woot. Next door at shirt.woot, there is a shirt you might like. If you do, click on the picture, and you will be taken to the page devoted to this shirt where you can vote for it.



While you are there, feel free to make comments about what you like and dislike about the shirt design - that is what makes shirt.woot as special as wine.woot. And feel free to look around and vote and/or comment about other designs as well.

Thank you for letting me talk about this shirt - now back to Twisted Oak Wines!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
MalcolmPX wrote:Well *%#&@! I'm in for two and can't get my minute of fame!

Oh well. I should have some *%#&@! nice red wine in a bit.

Particularly looking forward to the Tempranillo.

iB...er...MalcolmPX



Aha! I see you ...


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mjc613 wrote:Here is something interesting for those of you who enjoy enjoy wines and enjoy woot. Next door at shirt.woot, there is a shirt you might like. If you do, click on the picture, and you will be taken to the page devoted to this shirt where you can vote for it.



While you are there, feel free to make comments about what you like and dislike about the shirt design - that is what makes shirt.woot as special as wine.woot. And feel free to look around and vote and/or comment about other designs as well.

Thank you for letting me talk about this shirt - now back to Twisted Oak Wines!



Actually a shirt I would buy on Shirt.Woot, instead of the bad ones they've had lately. Vote for this shirt! We could have our own club shirt!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
UbiDubi wrote:LabRat Report-2005 Tempranillo

1st report, so bear with me.

No decanter available, so opened the wine about an hour before pouring. Having not had Tempranillo before, I knew not what to expect. The aroma was alot like Cabernet to me. That's what I would have guessed by the nose alone.

Poured two glasses, at room temperature, in the hotel room and headed down to dinner at LaStrada in the ElDorado. So no corkage fees, and I will remember Rapscallion for another trip. On first taste, both of us tasted no tannins. Zero. The one word reviews were...

Me: Smooth
Her: Flavorful (It doesn't make my teeth feel fuzzy)

Both of us had the "Chef's Tasting Menu". A four course "surprise" menu. Appetizers were antipasti of roasted vegies, prosciutto, mortadella, mozzarella, olives, and greens. Pasta course of penne w/ roasted tomatoes, saffron risotto, and mushroom ravioli. Main course of chicken Parmesan and swordfish w/ a tomato-caper sauce. Dessert was a vanilla gelato.

The wine "worked" with everything. Didn't try it with the gelato. This did not have a big mouth feel, and not very complex. I picked up definite flavors of berries. Not a "winey" wine. I dubbed it the wine for people who don't like wine. If you have had red wines, and didn't like the "puckerness factor", then this wine would be for you. As ElJefe said earlier, this would be a good starter set to try out reds. I would like to try this wine slightly chilled and see how that affects the body.

Hope this helps someone decide.



Thanks for the report! All the labrats so far have done a great job of labratting, and letting us know about the wines. Thanks again to all of you!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

jikanika


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jikanika

No problem with the heat here in Western WA. I doubt we'll even have a summer this year.

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
Loweeel wrote:I AGREE COMPLETELY!!! But better or worse than a horse's head?



hmmmm... tough call...

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
eljefetwisted wrote:hmmmm... tough call...


How about a severed horse head propped up by a chardonnay bottle sticking out of its neck??

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
tommythecat78 wrote:How about a severed horse head propped up by a chardonnay bottle sticking out of its neck??



OK, now you're just getting WEIRD! ;)

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
eljefetwisted wrote:OK, now you're just getting WEIRD! ;)


At this time of night??

Edit: Weird would be if there was a silly straw from said bottle to the horses mouth. Weird, or should I say TWISTED??

Double Edit: I got called weird by a guy that sells rubber chickens for a living ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

hk94


quality posts: 1 Private Messages hk94

Got the Grenache yesterday for LabRat. I was already 3 beers into the evening when I got the wine, so I will be tasting it tonight and offering up my report.

Wednesday is my night to cook a big meal for my husband and I (only time in the work week that I have the time to really cook well). Anyone have any pairing suggestions for the Grenache?

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
hardground wrote:I got the Grenache.

Light ruby in color, almost Pinot noir-ish. Great aroma. From pop to pour, the smell is what is driving the experience. Take a sip: a little spicy, soft and full of berries. Also, a little bit of earth, too (dust? chicken coop? good either way and I realize I suck at descriptors). The mid palate is strong, but leaves you wishing for more on the finish. A bit more acidity than I'd expect from grenache, which was perfect with dinner.

Serve this wine at party during appetizers, and you won't hear a complaint. It's built for drinking now, though so smoke em if you got em. This is a good bottle to have in your cellar when in the mood for something good but a little trashy. Pizza and pr0n. I like it.



Thanks for the report!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Any rats out there for the *%#&@! ?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

canonizer


quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
shimey013 wrote:So still trying to find a red that impresses me, so far im .5 for 5...i said .5 because i found one that i kinda like but still nothing terribly impressive....Im hoping these red's do something for me .....



I would suggest going to your local winestore on tasting days. They typically have importers/distributors come in and do 'flights'. While it's unusual for them to pour very expensive bottles, this is the easiest (and cheapest) way I can think of to start getting a sense of wines you may enjoy.

Also, at parties or dinner parties (or woot tastings) try the wines you haven't had before. I'm sure once you try 100 or so reds you'll have picked up at least a few that you want to drink again.

signed.

doppeldog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages doppeldog
winefarm wrote:We are in "quasi-summer" shipping mode now. Meaning, we are watching the weather, timing the shipments to be in constant transit (movement is our friend) and starting with some refrigeration to certain lane segments. i will be communicating further soon on "full fledged" summer shipping mode.

WD



Don't mean to hijack away from Twisted Oak, but I received my Ty Caton 3-pack (Updated, with 2006 Bench Merlot) yesterday and all 6 bottles were ruined! Either the corks were pushed out by half an inch, or the bottles had leaked. I almost cried at the waste. My Ty Caton 3-pack (original offering) arrived on Monday seemingly unscathed, but I am worried about the Field Blend which arrives later today. I already e-mailed service with pictures. If someone tells me how to paste in a picture here, I can do so...

Winefarm/WD please consider summer shipping options! I would be willing to pay more for shipping to ensure the safety of my wine!

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
tommythecat78 wrote:At this time of night??

Edit: Weird would be if there was a silly straw from said bottle to the horses mouth. Weird, or should I say TWISTED??

Double Edit: I got called weird by a guy that sells rubber chickens for a living ;)



Pretty ironic, isn't it? ;)

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

Winedavid39


quality posts: 210 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

doppeldog wrote:Don't mean to hijack away from Twisted Oak, but I received my Ty Caton 3-pack (Updated, with 2006 Bench Merlot) yesterday and all 6 bottles were ruined! Either the corks were pushed out by half an inch, or the bottles had leaked. I almost cried at the waste. My Ty Caton 3-pack (original offering) arrived on Monday seemingly unscathed, but I am worried about the Field Blend which arrives later today. I already e-mailed service with pictures. If someone tells me how to paste in a picture here, I can do so...

Winefarm/WD please consider summer shipping options! I would be willing to pay more for shipping to ensure the safety of my wine!



doppeldog, i will pm you seeking more details. This should not happen with any regularity with the steps we are taking. I'm sorry it did.

ERMD


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
Winedavid39 wrote:doppeldog, i will pm you seeking more details. This should not happen with any regularity with the steps we are taking. I'm sorry it did.


Well I also received my Ty yesterday and infared the temp on arrival and WOW 91. Guess I gonna hold until cool weather. No corks out that I can see but havnt open them yet.
I will try to put up the picture of the UPS trailer sitting in the KMART parking lot with MY WINE
Florida, damn love/hate relationship

thatguy314


quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314

el jeffe: since you're a spanish/rhone guy, do you have any thoughts on the white tempranillo clone that was released a few years ago? i've heard about it, but i haven't really seen any and am fairly curious about it.

jkwest


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

You guys suck....


In for two...

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

jkwest


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

this decision had nothing to do with the labrattage....it was solely due to el jeffes actions...

Damn you!!

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

ptoledo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ptoledo
doppeldog wrote:Don't mean to hijack away from Twisted Oak, but I received my Ty Caton 3-pack (Updated, with 2006 Bench Merlot) yesterday and all 6 bottles were ruined! Either the corks were pushed out by half an inch, or the bottles had leaked. I almost cried at the waste. My Ty Caton 3-pack (original offering) arrived on Monday seemingly unscathed, but I am worried about the Field Blend which arrives later today. I already e-mailed service with pictures. If someone tells me how to paste in a picture here, I can do so...

Winefarm/WD please consider summer shipping options! I would be willing to pay more for shipping to ensure the safety of my wine!





I'm sitting waiting in anticipation for mine. I'm worried about the heat. How can I tell if my wine has gotten too hot other than the corks pushed out?

Gig 'em Aggies!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
hk94 wrote:Got the Grenache yesterday for LabRat. I was already 3 beers into the evening when I got the wine, so I will be tasting it tonight and offering up my report.

Wednesday is my night to cook a big meal for my husband and I (only time in the work week that I have the time to really cook well). Anyone have any pairing suggestions for the Grenache?



I think Grenache is considered a medium bodied Red, so creamy or cheese soups and pastas; chicken/turkey/duck/gamebirds; pork or veal; lamb, venison, or beef.

Also hearty dishes such as grilled sausages, lamb chops, rustic stews, etc.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
MarkDaSpark wrote:I think Grenache is considered a medium bodied Red, so creamy or cheese soups and pastas; chicken/turkey/duck/gamebirds; pork or veal; lamb, venison, or beef.

Also hearty dishes such as grilled sausages, lamb chops, rustic stews, etc.



Also because the Grenache is 18% Syrah.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Houstonred


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Houstonred

Not trying to hijack the thread, but this article gives even MORE reason to be an active (red) wine.wooter!

"Red wine may click switch for longevity"
Study indicates element in grapes triggers an ancient survival reaction
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5817717.html
(not sure if this will be a live link or not...sorry!)

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Houstonred wrote:Not trying to hijack the thread, but this article gives even MORE reason to be an active (red) wine.wooter!

"Red wine may click switch for longevity"
Study indicates element in grapes triggers an ancient survival reaction
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5817717.html
(not sure if this will be a live link or not...sorry!)



Active link for ya. To make links, surround the link with url tags: [ url ] link location [ /url ] (without the spaces).

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
ERMD wrote:
Florida, damn love/hate relationship



You need to move to Minnesota. It's been in the upper 60s lately, and my Ty arrived yesterday looking just fine. Of course, we do have to deal with 20 below in the winter, which is about the temperature at which Minnesotans stop wearing shorts. You win some, you lose some.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?