+ Add a Comment

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:Usually not, unfortunately. I wish UPS would make some kind of "intercept package" thing to get the delivery address changed or to immediately put it on hold. Then when they do a destination scan, it could yell at them and be like 'YO! New address! Here's a new label for it *spit out new label*'

Dang. Well hopefully it survives well enough. Temps are projected at the low 80's this weekend out here.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

foobarski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages foobarski
FlamingoNut wrote:Whoa, I miss my mainframe cobol ;)

I never knew the "joy" of COBOL in anything other than an academic environment. I think I don't miss it, but I'm not entirely sure.

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?
Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze.
Cause thinkin' and drinkin' are all I have today."
-- John Perry Barlow / Bob Weir ("Mexicali Blues")

foobarski

cheron98 wrote:Usually not, unfortunately. I wish UPS would make some kind of "intercept package" thing to get the delivery address changed or to immediately put it on hold. Then when they do a destination scan, it could yell at them and be like 'YO! New address! Here's a new label for it *spit out new label*'

I so hear that! I just checked the tracking # on my first TC order, and it's still showing as "out for delivery" ... but I'll betcha that he'll have come and gone before I get home, so I'll have to go ahead and request a hold for pickup after the fact.

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Just so y'all know, over in the community forums, I've started up a new thread for the Lab Rat reports. Gonna see how it goes for a few weeks, and if people like it, we'll keep it up.

Either I can scour the main thread to cross-post over there, or if you're a rat and you want to post it there... we'll see how it goes.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
eljefetwisted wrote:I am around today (Tuesday) but then I will be traveling tomorrow and I'll be out of town thru the rest of the wine.woot time - in Vegas selling wine during the day and enjoying a bit of poker in the evenings. I'll be checking in as I can. And if you are or will be in Vegas during this weekend time, please feel free to get in touch for a glass of wine or something...

At which event will you be pouring? Will you also be at rock N' Roll Wine on Friday at the Venetian? That can be quite a rowdy crowd, which you just might enjoy!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Hammerofthegods wrote:El Jefe (and the rest of the wootaholics out there)

Won't be at the winery on Friday I am sad to say................

With the wife unable to have any for the next nine months, I am going to be gentle for her...... doesn't mean I won't partake in any, but I can't see visiting wineries when she can't drink.

Found out this morning (Kaiser called) that the stork will be arriving at the ***** household in late Feb. or early March.............

Now to find some really, really good Champagne...............

Richard

Congrats Richard!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
jonstrib wrote:really appreciate the insights and information.

wondering if you can explain the differences between the various tempranillos, granaches and mourvedes in the various offerings. just availability for sourcing or is there some real differences that the alchemey process then takes in a different/preferred direction rather than from a single vineyard.

on the aging, you mentioned earlier on that you want to avoid over-oaked final product (think that's an accurate paraphrase ). does the % of old and new oak temper the "oakiness" while also allowing you to cycle in new barrels?

finally, any statistically significant differences in the pH levels: seems like they're all in the food friendly range (even though they may pair up differently).

enjoy vegas.

On sourcing, every vineyard is different (and every vineyard owner is different!) - in fact you can have variation even within a vineyard. We choose sources based on things like location and soils, but also based on the growers themselves. For example, we're very happy to be on board with vineyards like Tanner and Rolleri - they've been the ones that planted Tempranillo and Syrah up here, and showed the way for the rest of us. We also have some new vineyards (like Dalton and Parcel 17) that have worked with us to plant the right clones and rootstocks (which for me is a little black magical but I've come to trust my nursery people on these things!)

On oak: exactly. The mix of new and old allows us to control how much oak goes into the wine. It can be helpful to think of a barrel as a teabag, that makes a strong first cup, but the 2nd and 3rd are weaker and weaker.

On pH: I think that a range for food friendliness is probably a personal evaluation. In general the higher the pH the more likely a wine is to be flabby. And maybe not as age-worthy.

And thanks, I'll do my best ;) first thing is making some sales, we've got a new distributor there (UVA) doing a great job for us!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted

sanity wrote:At which event will you be pouring? Will you also be at rock N' Roll Wine on Friday at the Venetian? That can be quite a rowdy crowd, which you just might enjoy!

I'm not pouring anywhere in particular, just showing wines at stores and restaurants. Didn't know about the Venetian event, I suspect it may be set up more for the "big boys" but can you tell me more or point me at more info? thanks!

eljefetwisted

eljefetwisted wrote:I'm not pouring anywhere in particular, just showing wines at stores and restaurants. Didn't know about the Venetian event, I suspect it may be set up more for the "big boys" but can you tell me more or point me at more info? thanks!

Never mind, found it on local wine events:

http://www.localwineevents.com/Las-Vegas-Wine/event-185398.html

It's possible we could be involved, if not now then in the future. I think Tao may have the Tempranillo, or be planning to get it. (I recall they liked it when I called on them a few weeks ago.)

kylemittskus

As I am new to wine.woot, this is most likely a stupid question; however, here it is anyway. This wine is shipping from California to Southern California. I should have no worries with the storage or anything by the transporter, correct? Also, how long does it normally take to be delivered? Will I receive a tracking number as I do for woot and shirt.woot orders?

Thanks for the continuing guidance veterans.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
sanity wrote:At which event will you be pouring? Will you also be at rock N' Roll Wine on Friday at the Venetian? That can be quite a rowdy crowd, which you just might enjoy!

Damn. If only I were in Vegas, I could get into that. I have family connections with the Venetian

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cheron98

kylemittskus wrote:As I am new to wine.woot, this is most likely a stupid question; however, here it is anyway. This wine is shipping from California to Southern California. I should have no worries with the storage or anything by the transporter, correct? Also, how long does it normally take to be delivered? Will I receive a tracking number as I do for woot and shirt.woot orders?

No worries. Usually hear from the CA crowd that they get their wines pretty darn early on. And yes, you'll receive a tracking number just like the other woots

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314

My initial impulse was to say that I don't have enough money for any, so let's buy one. So I ordered one, then read the discussion.

Then I rejected that and tried to up my order... but they say "Unfortunately, due to limited quantity, we are unable to add to your order. Sorry." but it's not bouncing... so there must be more than 10% left... any idea why I can't up it?

kylemittskus

thatguy314 wrote:My initial impulse was to say that I don't have enough money for any, so let's buy one. So I ordered one, then read the discussion.

Then I rejected that and tried to up my order... but they say "Unfortunately, due to limited quantity, we are unable to add to your order. Sorry." but it's not bouncing... so there must be more than 10% left... any idea why I can't up it?

Either way, I'm glad I ordered 2 then. Maybe email them again and ask? Also, El jefe said that in the invoice (I think that's where he said it would be) there would be a reorder thing so maybe just go that route?

And by the way, the link on your signature says, "ACCESS DENIED SUCKA!" Ok, it doesn't say sucka but still...

cheron98

thatguy314 wrote:My initial impulse was to say that I don't have enough money for any, so let's buy one. So I ordered one, then read the discussion.

gift one?

sanity

eljefetwisted wrote:Never mind, found it on local wine events:
...snipped...
It's possible we could be involved, if not now then in the future. I think Tao may have the Tempranillo, or be planning to get it. (I recall they liked it when I called on them a few weeks ago.)

Good luck, selling wine and at the poker tables!

Rock N Roll Wine also has their own website, which you may click thru on their event listing. It's a decidedly younger, "hip" crowd.

For those of you wine wooters who don't know about localwineevents.com, check it out for local (you choose up to 3 cities for which to be notified) wine, spirits, beer, or food events. You can check listings or sign up for a newsletter.

sanity

Loweeel wrote:Damn. If only I were in Vegas, I could get into that. I have family connections with the Venetian

Loweeel, Rock N Roll is every month, different locations, usually on the strip. They're in other cities, too. Check out their site. Not too expensive, usually about 35 bucks.

Hammerofthegods

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammerofthegods
kylemittskus wrote:As I am new to wine.woot, this is most likely a stupid question; however, here it is anyway. This wine is shipping from California to Southern California. I should have no worries with the storage or anything by the transporter, correct? Also, how long does it normally take to be delivered? Will I receive a tracking number as I do for woot and shirt.woot orders?

I live in Nor Cal and I usually get my wines within a week or less (some have taken a tad longer usually when I order later in the week). As far as the tracking number goes, I get one usually after the wine has been delivered........ but the last few have been after

Welcome to wine woot. Now just give your credit card to WD now and all will be ok.....

Richard

Hammerofthegods

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammerofthegods
hookajoe wrote:Way to go Hotg! Congratulations!

Our's is due Thanksgiving. Our 3 year old needs someone shorter to boss around.

Now remember: with our wives in their condition, we're drinking for two now.

You know, that just might work................

Sympathy and all for the dads right?????

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
McMalbec wrote:My shipment arrived at work yesterday and I plan to TY one on tonight!

I got one trio last week and the "updated" today. SOOOO tempted, but I also told myself that I'd save these beauties for a while. It's 101* here today, so I'm thinking a nice, crisp white whilst sitting on the deck tonight.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

As Cheron says.

Normally, when I've ordered early in the week, I'll receive it by Thursday or Friday (SoCal). I've usually gotten the tracking number before it arrives, but every so often, the wine will get to me before the number does.

If I order later in the week (say, Thursday or after), the order doesn't get shipped until a week from that upcoming Monday.

There are exceptions though, and the past few weeks seem to be among them.

The Penfolds duo (ordered 5/11) didn't arrive until last Thursday.

Got the first GV book yesterday, but the 2nd order has yet to show a tracking number. But they are coming from Texas and not WD.

Got both sets of TC (both updated) yesterday. But the Field Blend (5/23) is still on Billing Info.

The Dry Creek Trio (ordered that Monday) is still on Billing Info as well.

And the DCV Duo and Twisted Oak orders still have no tracking info shown.

A lot depends on the wineries and the weather. Sometimes the wineries don't send enough to WD, and that causes delays. Other times they delay shipment due to the weather (heat or cold).

Hey, at least it's UPS and not Smartpost :shudder:

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Loweeel wrote:Damn. If only I were in Vegas, I could get into that. I have family connections with the Venetian

family or "Family"? ;)

foobarski

MarkDaSpark wrote:
Got the first GV book yesterday, but the 2nd order has yet to show a tracking number. But they are coming from Texas and not WD.

I almost forgot about the book! Mine doesn't show a tracking # yet either. Guess Gary's hand musta cramped up, and he had to take a break from signing 'em all?!?

MarkDaSpark

foobarski wrote:I almost forgot about the book! Mine doesn't show a tracking # yet either. Guess Gary's hand musta cramped up, and he had to take a break from signing 'em all?!?

I think someone posted in the Book thread that Gary had signed them all and they were in Woot's hands. I think WD then posted they were following up, since the books were in Texas.

IMO someone at Woot didn't know what to do with the books when they arrived from Wine Library, and they just sat there until WD followed up with them.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

eljefetwisted

wow, I see a way to expedite that PS sample...;)

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:I think someone posted in the Book thread that Gary had signed them all and they were in Woot's hands. I think WD then posted they were following up, since the books were in Texas.

IMO someone at Woot didn't know what to do with the books when they arrived from Wine Library, and they just sat there until WD followed up with them.

WD posted in the Book Thread that the books were shipping last Friday, and to allow 5 - 7 days (probably business days and not calendar days) for it to arrive. So maybe by next Tuesday at the latest?

eljefetwisted

Leaving aside delays in order processing, packing, getting product etc. Once it gets put on the truck shipments within CA are usually overnight, at most two days to the remote-er parts of the state. That would also apply to NV.

marekny7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marekny7

Ok, there it goes. As I wrote earlier I got the 2005 Tempranillo.
Poured some in the glass right after popping the cork. Not much on the nose yet, but I got a mouthful of tannins instead.Obviously needs some air.
After more than an hour the dinner is ready (garlic rosemary marinaded steak, roasted potatoes with broccoli and cheese, spring mix salad on the side) and the wine opened up a lot, nice rich color, little on the dry side and medium body. Along the way I picked some earth, herbs, cloves maybe. Other than that red currant (I will get it any time as I grew up on them) and cherries. Tannins were present all along but the food muted them very well.I still have about a third of the bottle left for tomorrow so there will be a note or two left then.
Overall I enjoyed the Tempranillo very much even though it was my foray into this variety.
Need to add or gift myself one more set.
Hopefully my $0.02 was helpful.

CT

cheron98

marekny7 wrote:Ok, there it goes. As I wrote earlier I got the 2005 Tempranillo.
Poured some in the glass right after popping the cork. Not much on the nose yet, but I got a mouthful of tannins instead.Obviously needs some air.
After more than an hour the dinner is ready (garlic rosemary marinaded steak, roasted potatoes with broccoli and cheese, spring mix salad on the side) and the wine opened up a lot, nice rich color, little on the dry side and medium body. Along the way I picked some earth, herbs, cloves maybe. Other than that red currant (I will get it any time as I grew up on them) and cherries. Tannins were present all along but the food muted them very well.I still have about a third of the bottle left for tomorrow so there will be a note or two left then.
Overall I enjoyed the Tempranillo very much even though it was my foray into this variety.
Need to add or gift myself one more set.
Hopefully my $0.02 was helpful.

Ooh sounds yummy x-posted in the labrat thread over there in the world of woot wine spot.

Epidemic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Epidemic

Hey all- its been a while since I visited these forums or made any wine.woot purchases. I bought so much wine from woot that I ran out of room to put it all! It took me a few months, but I've finally got my stockpile back down to manageable amounts, and am ready to start buying again! This week's offering looked especially irresistible, so I'm in for 2!

Anyways, nice to see that it looks like most the regulars are still here and plus we have some new people! See you all soon!

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Epidemic wrote:Hey all- its been a while since I visited these forums or made any wine.woot purchases. I bought so much wine from woot that I ran out of room to put it all! It took me a few months, but I've finally got my stockpile back down to manageable amounts, and am ready to start buying again! This week's offering looked especially irresistible, so I'm in for 2!

Anyways, nice to see that it looks like most the regulars are still here and plus we have some new people! See you all soon!

classic woot name, dude (or dudette), just classic!!!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

*%#&@! it!

How could I not go in on this?

I was doing well until I had a glass of Cab on an empty stomach. Even feeling the effects after eating some delicious beef stew.

I'm usually in for one...but I'm in for 2 on this one.

Eljefe--anyone who has your personality and a sense of humor like this deserves my hard-earned cash. I like your approach of keeping things light-hearted, and being serious when you need!

All right, was that enough sucking-up to get a chicken?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I'd like to add that your Twisted Winery needs to do a little Twisted googling to get *%#&@! up towards the top of a Google search. Not even on the first page.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

Scrooby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scrooby

El Jefe Grande -

All three of these wines look amazing and I would love nothing more than to press that giant yellow button, but the sad fact is that in the last month I've spent way too much money on vino and I'm going out of town in a couple of weeks so the cash is a little low. I was hoping you could fill me in on where I could buy your wines in San Francisco or even what restaurants pour them.

Thanks for all the input and I can't wait to get twisted.

W.W:7(22 bottles), W:9, S.W:5

Loweeel

SonomaBouliste wrote:family or "Family"? ;)

The former.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Loweeel wrote:The former.

though i could definitely envision you as consiglieri to the latter.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

hardground

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hardground

I got the Grenache.

Light ruby in color, almost Pinot noir-ish. Great aroma. From pop to pour, the smell is what is driving the experience. Take a sip: a little spicy, soft and full of berries. Also, a little bit of earth, too (dust? chicken coop? good either way and I realize I suck at descriptors). The mid palate is strong, but leaves you wishing for more on the finish. A bit more acidity than I'd expect from grenache, which was perfect with dinner.

Serve this wine at party during appetizers, and you won't hear a complaint. It's built for drinking now, though so smoke em if you got em. This is a good bottle to have in your cellar when in the mood for something good but a little trashy. Pizza and pr0n. I like it.

Why is there so much wine left at the end of my money?

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
themostrighteous wrote:though i could definitely envision you as consiglieri to the latter.

Hey, he's a Jersey Boy. Could be the former AND the latter!

foobarski

cjsiege wrote:Hey, he's a Jersey Boy. Could be the former AND the latter!

"That's a nice little winery you got there ... be a shame if something were to ... happen to it, knowwhatimean?"

Loweeel

cjsiege wrote:Hey, he's a Jersey Boy. Could be the former AND the latter!

Careful, you might wake up with the end of a Chardonnay barrel in your bed...

CT ¬ PSychos' Path