eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
jwhite6114 wrote:WD, you must be offering classes to the winery guys before they join in the frivolities, anymore! Yet another who fits right in!

And he's already got two woots, no less. In just one month.

Nice!

Welcome, el Jefe! Looking forward to this week. As usual, I have already sworn I am not buying. WD has shoved four offers down our throats in the past two weeks, and I have been "in" on every one; so buying yet again is getting damned difficult. But NOT buying tends to be even harder, so we'll see what this week's conversation does to my resolve.

Actually, I am pretty regular wooter. I created the "eljefetwisted" name because it would be more recognizable (branding baby!) I have managed about 3 BOCs, a few tshirts, and untold regular woots as twistedwookie.

But I feel sad that you might not avail yourself of our "Bundle Of Calaveras" because of those previous offers. Hope I can change your mind!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jwhite6114 wrote:WD, you must be offering classes to the winery guys before they join in the frivolities, anymore! Yet another who fits right in!

And he's already got two woots, no less. In just one month.

Nice!

Welcome, el Jefe! Looking forward to this week. As usual, I have already sworn I am not buying. WD has shoved four offers down our throats in the past two weeks, and I have been "in" on every one; so buying yet again is getting damned difficult. But NOT buying tends to be even harder, so we'll see what this week's conversation does to my resolve.

You might as well click on the button now. You know you will anyway later in the week. I already did. Click it now.

Resolve? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
kkv123 wrote:Tommy, do yourself a favor and DO NOT go to the website. After taking a good look around, I'm very wishful for the whites. Really interesting blends...not a chardonnay in sight.

So now I'm feeling quite regretful that it is NOT a multi-offer week. Almost..."pouty"...even. Poor WineDavid; there's just no pleasing everyone.

We originally offered the %@#$! blend, but Woot decided to pass on the whites for now. Maybe next time?

I'm going to have to check out for the morning - gotta run a quick errand over to Yosemite - be back this afternoon!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

Phew! I'm in for two! Did I make it before the labrat deadline?!

As soon as I saw a tempranillo and a grenache, I got excited, then I saw iByrons reccomend, it was pretty much a no brainer after that.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

MarkDaSpark

CalTiki wrote:I found the wine didn't have much of a finish. There much complexity to the wine either. It wasn't unpleasant wine - just not exciting. There wasn't enough to keep me going back. That is just my opinion of course.

Which wines of theirs did you taste? And how many wineries had you been to before? Clayfu had mentioned in another thread about palate fatigue, so had you had a lot of wine (or something else with tannins) before you went there?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

paryb wrote:Phew! I'm in for two! Did I make it before the labrat deadline?!

As soon as I saw a tempranillo and a grenache, I got excited, then I saw iByrons reccomend, it was pretty much a no brainer after that.

Only if you ordered before 10:00 am Central Time, which means before 11:00 am ET, 9:00 am MT, or 8:00 am PT.

paryb

MarkDaSpark wrote:Only if you ordered before 10:00 am Central Time, which means before 11:00 am ET, 9:00 am MT, or 8:00 am PT.

Awww gee.

I hit the big yellow button 27 minutes too late. If I were to get say, the tempranillo, or the grenache, or the hot diggidy damn, I'd have my vinter buddy over for dinner again, to compare tasting notes. Had a young Tempranillo over the weekend, it was poetry in a glass.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
foobarski wrote:OK, I can't afford it, I don't have the room (and I haven't even received any of the fifteen bottles of Ty Caton yet!) There's absolutely NO *%#&@! reason I should be typing what I'm about to type:

In for three.

(Whadda ya gonna do?)

uh.....drink?

barrymccochener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
CalTiki wrote:I found the wine didn't have much of a finish. There much complexity to the wine either. It wasn't unpleasant wine - just not exciting. There wasn't enough to keep me going back. That is just my opinion of course.

I appreciate your opinion. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
sanity wrote:uh.....drink?

Heh, you've got a point there, sir.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

LBISurfer2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LBISurfer2

Twisted Oak - Three Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.017s

Last wooter to woot: LBISurfer2

I love the woot-specific website that was set up, and figured I might as well just do it now because I know I'll crumble by the end of the week, in for one to save my funds.

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

Hey El Jefe...

If I go in for two, do I get a free chicken?!

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

paryb

Yes. The chicken question is important. I just came back from the twisted oak website. If you guys haven't been there yet, it's worth the trip. Just make sure you don't have coffee in your mouth, when you read the about us pages.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
jkwest wrote:Hey El Jefe...

If I go in for two, do I get a free chicken?!

I was in for 2, before 10am. I'm not begging, I'm just sayin'...

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

sanity

eljefetwisted, when you return this afternoon, how about adding the link for your woot specific pages to your sig. A little extra marketing goes a long way. I'm fond of my fellow wine wooters, but let's just say some aren't going to see the link posted in the 1st page or two.

sanity

Gatzby wrote:Heh, you've got a point there, sir.

I resemble that remark.....actually, not. I'm called, mom, wifey, love, and on occasion, *%#&@!, but never sir. Nallie, where are your stilettos when we need them?

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

thanks for sharing your notes. it would be helpful if (as Sparky asked) you could post which wine these notes apply to. which, if it happens to be one of these, will make me VERY - no, scratch that - EXTREMELY curious to read what the 'Brats have to say this week.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

CalTiki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CalTiki
MarkDaSpark wrote:Which wines of theirs did you taste? And how many wineries had you been to before? Clayfu had mentioned in another thread about palate fatigue, so had you had a lot of wine (or something else with tannins) before you went there?

I had been to one winery before. I had their flight of reds. Small sips of the wines I had tried that day. I was interested in wine tasting - not wine drinking that day. It is always possible that there are influences going on - and that the wine will change with food. I just know my taste - and there wan't anything that really sparked *my* interest. Nor that of my friends....

themostrighteous

eljefetwisted wrote:Thanks! But I'm actually kind of amazed we're the first...?

yep. winery participation here is pretty phenomenal, but you've certainly taken it to another level w/ the woot-specific site. very NICE!!!

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
eljefetwisted wrote:Actually, I am pretty regular wooter. I created the "eljefetwisted" name because it would be more recognizable (branding baby!) I have managed about 3 BOCs, a few tshirts, and untold regular woots as twistedwookie.

But I feel sad that you might not avail yourself of our "Bundle Of Calaveras" because of those previous offers. Hope I can change your mind!

Well, I am certainly interested; but also too far into woot these past few weeks. Gotta pull back a little in the interest of self-preservation. But I am reading the forum, this week, which is always a stupid a move when I am committed to not buying, so we'll see.

I have enjoyed the previous Tempranillo I got from woot (how does yours compare to Castoro Cellar's Reserve?), and would love to try a Grenache. And the blend is very intriguing as well. Sooo ... here's to tempting fate (the final excuse of the week-willed).

CT | | | | | |

MarkDaSpark

CalTiki wrote:I had been to one winery before. I had their flight of reds. Small sips of the wines I had tried that day. I was interested in wine tasting - not wine drinking that day. It is always possible that there are influences going on - and that the wine will change with food. I just know my taste - and there wan't anything that really sparked *my* interest. Nor that of my friends....

Thanks. That helps. Some wines are better with wine, some without, and some are great either way. As TMR asked, to your recollection, are any of this week's offerings in that flight you tasted? Thanks again.

paryb

I've gotta reiterate on the geek sheets that were mentioned earlier in the thread, WOW! I saved the PDFs and I'm going to take them home. Just this weekend a friend came over for dinner, and we had several wines, one of the comments that he made was that the internet allows winemakers to really 'geek out' on the specifics of a wine. I, for one, love to see exactly was the RS, PH, brix, and all are. A+ this week guys.

themostrighteous

[TEMPORARY THREAD HIJACK]

are you going to be in Chicago this Sunday afternoon?!? do you like wine?!? do you enjoy the company of other wine-loving freaks, errr, folks?

if you answered yes to all of the above, please join us this Sunday afternoon for CWWT#3 ((check out our thread for details) in a carefree & NON-SNOOTY tasting environment (GUARANTEED)!!!

i hope to see you there!!!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks. That helps. Some wines are better with wine, some without, and some are great either way.

Sooo....some wines are better with wine, huh? Guess I'll have to take that into consideration in the future.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
darisgin wrote:If one is constantly increasing production and/or inventory, then it would be CHEAPER to re-use old barrels than to install new stainless steel.

Think of it as eco-friendly recycling!

Funny you mention this. We just bought a 're purposed" wine barrel for composting. It's a great company that is recycling French oak wine barrels into compost bins.
Now even the dirt for our garden has a taste for the vino!
Certainly not the cheapest options for composting but perhaps one of the more attractive, interesting and environmental friendly choices out there.
Check it out:
http://www.terracycle.net/composter.htm
http://nestinstyle.wordpress.com/2008/03/20/wine-barrel-composter/

EDIT: I've also just posted a thread on recycling corks and how to you can do your part to keep them out of landfills. . Check the forum for more info. Thanks.

jwhite6114

themostrighteous wrote:[TEMPORARY THREAD HIJACK]

are you going to be in Chicago this Sunday afternoon?!? do you like wine?!? do you enjoy the company of other wine-loving freaks, errr, folks?

if you answered yes to all of the above, please join us this Sunday afternoon for CWWT#3 ((check out our thread for details) in a carefree & NON-SNOOTY tasting environment (GUARANTEED)!!!

i hope to see you there!!!

This from the guy who calls himself "most righteous"! Nothing snooty about THAT!

Hope you guys have a blast! These events in DC have been a lot of fun each and every time.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Sooo....some wines are better with wine, huh? Guess I'll have to take that into consideration in the future.

Hey -- to each their own. CJ prefers her wines with furniture. In that context drinking wine with wine certainly sounds like the better option.

CT | | | | | |

blusky558

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blusky558

So I was up wine.wooting at 0'dark six this morning, just to be sure I got in on this and to see little ol' Wyoming light up bright and cheery gold on the map as the sun rose and glimmered it's own shade of gold and red over the horizon.

Hi, my name is Jodee and I am a wine.wootaholic. I lurk more than post and truly enjoy the banter I've been reading here. I just finished off my Ephiphany Grenache and what better way to fill that hole in my cooler than with this?

I will truly try to edumacate my fellow Wyomingites to the wonder of this site. My co-workers have already begun to research facilities for my rehab.....

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
blusky558 wrote:I will truly try to edumacate my fellow Wyomingites to the wonder of this site. My co-workers have already begun to research facilities for my rehab.....

Just get your co-workers to join the club, and then you can all rehab together....with a few bottles of good vino.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
Loweeel wrote:Wow. That's a seriously impressive offer. You gotta love a guy who stands behind his product to that extent, especially one that depends on personal taste as much as wine.

i almost clicked buy

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
blusky558 wrote:So I was up wine.wooting at 0'dark six this morning, just to be sure I got in on this and to see little ol' Wyoming light up bright and cheery gold on the map as the sun rose and glimmered it's own shade of gold and red over the horizon.

Hi, my name is Jodee and I am a wine.wootaholic. I lurk more than post and truly enjoy the banter I've been reading here. I just finished off my Ephiphany Grenache and what better way to fill that hole in my cooler than with this?

I will truly try to edumacate my fellow Wyomingites to the wonder of this site. My co-workers have already begun to research facilities for my rehab.....

Welcome! Always nice to see a lurker step out of the shadows and join the fray.

sanity wrote:I resemble that remark.....actually, not. I'm called, mom, wifey, love, and on occasion, *%#&@!, but never sir. Nallie, where are your stilettos when we need them?

Well, dearest Sanity, at first I was going to tell you to try to let it slide off your back. After all, he reads a LOT of posts, he may be very sleepy, and he’s most probably been drinking. But then I read this
Quality posts: … (12:22 AM) nallie begs… ,
and I know for sure that I have brought up before that Nallie doesn’t beg. She cajoles, she implores, she threatens and even occasionally blackmails, but she does not beg. Yet there it is again. In black and white. You hold him down; I’ll go sharpen the stilettos .

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

Hey! I just noticed...I'm a black square now!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Krugsters wrote:Hey! I just noticed...I'm a black square now!

Woo hoo, congrats! Guess that answers the question posed in your sig

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
Krugsters wrote:Hey! I just noticed...I'm a black square now!

Yay!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

I guess when it comes down to it I'm very interested in knowing why you chose to plant spanish varietals and what kind of comparative advantage that gives you regional. Also, growing a european non-noble varietal lends itself to new world/old world questions. What spanish Tempranillos and Grenaches would you compare these wines to*?

*yes, that's a preposition at the end of my sentence in the same thread that I dissed eats, shoots & leaves

signed.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

This may be my first wine.woot ever. And who is this eljefe. He's hilarious/weird as all hell!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

brycelynch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brycelynch
kylemittskus wrote:This may be my first wine.woot ever. And who is this eljefe. He's hilarious/weird as all hell!

El Jefe is Jeff Stai, irreverent renegade winemaker and winery owner of Twisted Oak Winery in Calaveras County.

I could not recommend his wines more. Welcome to wine.woot!!

foobarski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages foobarski
sanity wrote:uh.....drink?

You betcha!

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?
Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze.
Cause thinkin' and drinkin' are all I have today."
-- John Perry Barlow / Bob Weir ("Mexicali Blues")

zebra5150

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zebra5150

Slightly off topic...but...
anyone get word on any of the ty's from 2 weeks ago? I ordered the revised initial (that's what hesitating gets me) early, as I did with the field blend. I've got an empty tracking number for the field blend but nothing on the trio. I'm just impatient, but wondering if I'm all alone with the lack of ty in my glass?

Who knew getting a job actually meant having time to participate in the forums?

aerosoul

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aerosoul

i tasted over at the twisted tasting room a couple of weeks ago and wasn't thrilled about the experience at all. the wines aren't terribly bad, but i could buy something cheaper and tastier at raley's if i were so inclined. the highlight of the entire experience was the ride in the driveway up to the tasting room, which was winding, rocky, bumpy, and full of dust...if that means anything to you.

Woots:
4/10/2007 4/26/2007 4/27/2008 4/30/2008(x2) 1/19/2008 2/27/2008(x2) 2/25/2010 4/24/2012
Brick of Carbonite 4/25/2012 Brick of Carbonite 5/22/2012