rco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rco
jwhite6114 wrote:Or WAS it?

We "missed one" week of Dry Creek, which has sail boats with gaffs on the label.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
jwhite6114 wrote:Or WAS it?

Hmmm. Well, it's true we had neither "artificial spurs used, in some regions, in cockfighting" nor "club-like Norwegian seal-hunting hakapiks" this week. At least none that I could find.

I stand corrrected!

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'm pretty sure I won't be staying up until 1am tonight to find out what the week's offering will be.

You say that now, but just wait for a couple hours - the urge is irresistible. I know I've cracked and stayed awake too long on many a Sunday night, llo!

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
rco wrote:We "missed one" week of Dry Creek, which has sail boats with gaffs on the label.

Better yet, Jeff GAFFner is the winemaker at Saxon Brown, the one winery that was "missed" in that list.

Yay Saxon Brown!

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

danielf80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danielf80

The twisted oak offering this week sounds tempting. I'd probably pull the trigger if not for too many other wine purchases lately. On a related note - I had a bottle of Ty Caton's field blend last night and it was really terrific. Very smooth, very enjoyable and easy to drink. I've had the Iron Horse, penfolds, wellington cuvee syrah, wellington victory, etc and I'd put it at the top of the list (might be a tie with the Wellington Victory) of what I've enjoyed the most. Now I wish I'd gotten a lot more of the multiple Ty offerings.

Dan

santhony66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages santhony66
eljefetwisted wrote:We originally offered the %@#$! blend, but Woot decided to pass on the whites for now. Maybe next time?

SonomaBouliste wrote:Judging from this week's response, Twisted Oak may be back, especially if people start raving about the wines.

Followed immediately by

SonomaBouliste wrote:There are always clues hidden here and there. Sometimes they're elementary, my dear Watson, and sometimes they would be a stretch even for Hercule Poirot

Then we had WD with this....

Winedavid39 wrote:A big thanks to eljefetwisted this week. Fantastic participation. in many ways the best we've seen. Thanks for raising the bar amigo-

(and not a single gaff all week)

Meaning eljefe manged to keep it a secret that the coming week will be an assortment of Twisted Oak whites?

I would be very excited about any of these.

My wines on CellarTracker

My Wine.Woot tasting notes on CellarTracker

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
santhony66 wrote:Meaning eljefe manged to keep it a secret that the coming week will be an assortment of Twisted Oak whites?

I would be very excited about any of these.

A very compelling argument!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

andyduncan

andyduncan wrote:Better yet, Jeff GAFFner is the winemaker at Saxon Brown, the one winery that was "missed" in that list.

Yay Saxon Brown!

I'm not sure how Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot fit into Saxon Brown, other than they are supposedly (according to google) examples of Anglo-saxon detective fiction. If so, that's a new height of obtuse-ness for SB.

santhony66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages santhony66
andyduncan wrote:Better yet, Jeff GAFFner is the winemaker at Saxon Brown, the one winery that was "missed" in that list.

Yay Saxon Brown!

I found this post quite interesting:

0U812 wrote:Would be a crime to omit Saxon Brown!

Not because of the content, but that this was the 1st post of someone with no woots and an account created June 4th - clearly a stealthy alias account. But seemed early for a reveal...

My wines on CellarTracker

My Wine.Woot tasting notes on CellarTracker

andyduncan

santhony66 wrote:Not because of the content, but that this was the 1st post of someone with no woots and an account created June 4th - clearly a stealthy alias account. But seemed early for a reveal...

Definitely. Apparently that username is a Van Halen Album

EDIT: I have no idea what that means though.

Still think it's Saxon Brown. Perhaps the "Aiming" and "Missing" things were referring to the initials SB/SonomaBouliste/Saxon Brown.

iByron

andyduncan wrote:I'm not sure how Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot fit into Saxon Brown, other than they are supposedly (according to google) examples of Anglo-saxon detective fiction. If so, that's a new height of obtuse-ness for SB.

I'm not sure where you saw Sherlock Holmes.

Your Private WIneaux

smithju

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smithju

Would anyone be willing to forward wine to KS for a small fee? Please PM me.

iByron

Compelling argument.

Also, Saxon-Brown is in Sonoma making it "kinda close" to Wellington.

Plus we just had Wellingtons not too long ago. That would be a really short turnaround.

Your Private WIneaux

andyduncan

iByron wrote:I'm not sure where you saw Sherlock Holmes.

here:

SonomaBouliste wrote:There are always clues hidden here and there. Sometimes they're elementary, my dear Watson, and sometimes they would be a stretch even for Hercule Poirot

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus
shimey013 wrote:I ended up pickin up a Sunbeam 34 bottle one for under $100 because it was on clearance. It seems to do a solid job at keeping the temp around 57. and there isnt much moisture. So far, its done a great job, you may wanna see if you can find one...I've heard stories about the Vinotemps...some praise it other bash it, so yea, do your research. I know my sunbeam one is low end but it does the job

I've heard good and bad things about the Sunbeam as well.

I've only had this one going for half the day but so far it seems to be doing okay. I need to let it actually cool down all the wine and then stabilize and judge it then. If I'm happy after a few days I might buy another one...

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

I can buy the argument for another week of Twisted Oak, but between WD's "missed one", SB's close-but-not-quite comment, the mysterious "can't omit Saxon Brown" comment, and then WD's nail-in-the-coffin "gaff", I can't help but concur that Saxon Brown will be it. While there were some SB suggestions early, I think Andy has the claim on this one by tying in the "Gaff" (should it turn out to be correct, of course).

I had a terrific experience with the 2004 Syrah (still have one bottle left, I think), so I'll probably not be able to resist if this is the case.

CT | | | | | |

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

When was the last Saxon Brown offering, and what was it? I've never had them before and haven't even really heard anything about them. I might actually be able to pass this week if that's the case. I'll even be able to pass if it's Twisted whites, even though I'm sure they'd be tasty.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

Just opened a bottle of the 2005 Twisted Oak PS. Unfortunately, I'm too eager and had a good day so the only decant time will be however long it takes me to shower. More later if anyone cares...

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:I can buy the argument for another week of Twisted Oak, but between WD's "missed one", SB's close-but-not-quite comment, the mysterious "can't omit Saxon Brown" comment, and then WD's nail-in-the-coffin "gaff", I can't help but concur that Saxon Brown will be it. While there were some SB suggestions early, I think Andy has the claim on this one by tying in the "Gaff" (should it turn out to be correct, of course).

I had a terrific experience with the 2004 Syrah (still have one bottle left, I think), so I'll probably not be able to resist if this is the case.

Hm, their website is a little fluky on the menus, makes it tough to go look at it all...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
danielf80 wrote:On a related note - I had a bottle of Ty Caton's field blend last night and it was really terrific. Very smooth, very enjoyable and easy to drink.

Whimper. I still haven't gotten mine yet.

andyduncan wrote:Definitely. Apparently that username is a Van Halen Album

EDIT: I have no idea what that means though.

Still think it's Saxon Brown. Perhaps the "Aiming" and "Missing" things were referring to the initials SB/SonomaBouliste/Saxon Brown.

Re the Van Halen: speak the letters and numbers as if they were words. Van Halen loved dumb stunts like that.

Re the Saxon Brown: I started wooting too late to get in on the last Saxon Brown, but everyone seems to have loved the stuff. If that's it, I'm in despite vowing to my poor wallet that I wouldn't.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
coynedj wrote:Re the Van Halen: speak the letters and numbers as if they were words. Van Halen loved dumb stunts like that.

Re the Saxon Brown: I started wooting too late to get in on the last Saxon Brown, but everyone seems to have loved the stuff. If that's it, I'm in despite vowing to my poor wallet that I wouldn't.

You had the syrah at my place during Minnesooota tasting #2. Speaking of which...we need to have a #3 shortly.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

eric9tx

eric9tx wrote:Just opened a bottle of the 2005 Twisted Oak PS. Unfortunately, I'm too eager and had a good day so the only decant time will be however long it takes me to shower. More later if anyone cares...

Initial amateur impressions: nose is concentrated blackberry jam. Like serious dark fruit. Seems like fairly high tannins on the palate, but like I said... minimal decant time. Noticed some sediment left on the sides of the glass, FWIW.

edit: I think I'm gonna love this tomorrow.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

iByron

andyduncan wrote:here: (referring to "elementary" quote from SB)

Ah yes, of course.

And the way Holmes and Poirot fit in is because they are sleuths who look for things based on clues.

In other words, they weren't a clue, just commentary. You're probably correct with the Saxon-Brown guess.

Your Private WIneaux

eric9tx

iByron wrote:Ah yes, of course.

And the way Holmes and Poirot fit in is because they are sleuths who look for things based on clues.

In other words, they weren't a clue, just commentary. You're probably correct with the Saxon-Brown guess.

I agree. Wasn't it SB and not WD who mentioned Holmes?

213 wooted bottles

CT

laurmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurmom

BAH! It's not BOUNCING! I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't buy it if it didn't BOUNCE! Come ON friends.... buy! BUY!!!

andyduncan

eric9tx wrote:I agree. Wasn't it SB and not WD who mentioned Holmes?

SB gives clues nearly as often as WD, and I don't think it was just commentary.

eric9tx

andyduncan wrote:SB gives clues nearly as often as WD, and I don't think it was just commentary.

Oh. Never noticed that. My bad

213 wooted bottles

CT

andyduncan

coynedj wrote:Re the Van Halen: speak the letters and numbers as if they were words. Van Halen loved dumb stunts like that.

Yeah I get the pronunciation, but I don't know if it fits as a clue itself.

The Saxon Browns that were on here were the 2000 library Casa Santinamaria Zin and a 2004 Camp Block Syrah. They were both very good. I joined their wine club and have had one of their Pinots (good, big california pinot), the '99 Casa Santinamaria Zin (phenominal, even better than the '00 that was on here), and two of their 2006 Zins (one was excellent, the other was a fruit-bomb I didn't care for).

They've sent a bunch of other wine but I haven't gotten around to opening any of it yet. Odds are whatever is offered here (if it is in fact Saxon Brown) is going to be tasty.

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

Ok, Im not sure which things said so far are clues and which are not. Can some one brreak it down?

Do we have a fairly good idea its going to be Saxon-brown?

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

Hammerofthegods

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammerofthegods
Loweeel wrote:Glad to hear -- any specifics on the flavor profile and tannins?

Not a PS for the faint of heart.

Color:Very dark ruby/garnet color. Thick legs on the glass letting me know its a PS and nothing else.
Nose: Lots of fruit with lingering notes of chocolate, molasses. leather and probably either dirt or tobacco (having a hard time hitting this one correctly).
Mouthfeel: Jammy fruit on the front with chocolate and leather on the finish. Some light touches of pepper (very mild and either white or black). Tannins are heavy and thick through the finish so watch the jaw on this one. This is a chewy PS and if you like em heavy and dark, this is it. Personally, this needs a big frikin' steak to hold it up. Anything else would probably get its butt kicked.

I would score this a 90 or 91 and am glad I added it to the cellar.

Hope this helps,

Richard

andyduncan

eric9tx wrote:Oh. Never noticed that. My bad

After re-reading my post that could have been taken dickishly, sorry, wasn't trying to be curt.

Hammerofthegods

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammerofthegods

I must say, as much as I liked getting my chicken, I loved the shirt we got the best.

While I was tasting, the wife was shopping. Bought a shirt that said:

Twisted
(In Twaining)

Size 12 months. So the first shirt bought for our future child came from a winery............

we need help...............

El jefe..... nice touch

Will be back in Murphy's in two weeks and promise to make it to the real winery and not the tasting room this time...........

eric9tx

andyduncan wrote:After re-reading my post that could have been taken dickishly, sorry, wasn't trying to be curt.

ROFL @ dickishly. Seriously, I think i peed a little.

213 wooted bottles

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

What is this Saxon Brown and should i buy some if it indeed is it?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jenmonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenmonkey
eric9tx wrote:ROFL @ dickishly. Seriously, I think i peed a little.

Hee hee. Thought I was the only one juvenile enough to get a few giggles from that. ;)

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
kylemittskus wrote:What is this Saxon Brown and should i buy some if it indeed is it?

good juice and yes.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
UBlink wrote:good juice and yes.

Well, let's hope then. T minus 8 minutes.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:You had the syrah at my place during Minnesooota tasting #2. Speaking of which...we need to have a #3 shortly.

Point #1: Did I like it? So many wines.....

Point #2: I agree. Might even volunteer to host, but I can't match your benificence regarding the wine itself - we'd have to go back to BYO.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

stchang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stchang

In for 2 right before the deadline. Hope the admin at work doesn't give me another dirty look for sending more wine to the office.

eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
Hammerofthegods wrote:I must say, as much as I liked getting my chicken, I loved the shirt we got the best.

While I was tasting, the wife was shopping. Bought a shirt that said:

Twisted
(In Twaining)

Size 12 months. So the first shirt bought for our future child came from a winery............

we need help...............

El jefe..... nice touch

Will be back in Murphy's in two weeks and promise to make it to the real winery and not the tasting room this time...........

Do not worry, you are among friends! June 21 will be a busy day (our local association's passport weekend) and I'll be running around a lot - so be sure to ask for me!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak