smlauren


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
KnifeCzar wrote:Perfect for Father's Day. In for one!


Depending on where you live, I would be surprised if you get it by Father's Day.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

lasklinz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lasklinz

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.017s

Last wooter to woot: lasklinz

I want to see NY a little brighter ...

damightyanteater


quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

Labrats broke me down. Sounds like an interesting trio.

In for 1.

    My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

Heelacious


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Heelacious
UbiDubi wrote:Per WineDavid:

"We are in "quasi-summer" shipping mode now. Meaning, we are watching the weather, timing the shipments to be in constant transit (movement is our friend) and starting with some refrigeration to certain lane segments. i will be communicating further soon on "full fledged" summer shipping mode.

WD"




Thanks to you and Cheron for the replies. By "delay" I mean "not deliver until October." Wonder if that's possible...

BTW, who is WineDavid and where should I have gone to find that information? Trying to get my bearings around here.

Thanks.

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Heelacious wrote:BTW, who is WineDavid and where should I have gone to find that information? Trying to get my bearings around here.


WD is the man behind it all. he's part Wizard of Oz & part Commish as far as i can tell. all i know is that he selects wines that i have an unusually high probability of enjoying.

now, as for getting your bearings, post here for (the then current) offering specific questions or in the Pub for everything else. you'll get a response sooner or later. no guarantees on whether it is useful.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
themostrighteous wrote:WD is the man behind it all. he's part Wizard of Oz & part Commish as far as i can tell. all i know is that he selects wines that i have an unusually high probability of enjoying.

now, as for getting your bearings, post here for (the then current) offering specific questions or in the Pub for everything else. you'll get a response sooner or later. no guarantees on whether it is useful.



And posts from TMR that are useful tend to be even less frequent. You lucked out with the above being relatively useful.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

UbiDubi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages UbiDubi
Heelacious wrote:Thanks to you and Cheron for the replies. By "delay" I mean "not deliver until October." Wonder if that's possible...

BTW, who is WineDavid and where should I have gone to find that information? Trying to get my bearings around here.

Thanks.



WineDavid would be "Da Man". Mr. Wine Woot. Screen name "WineDavid39". WineDavid runs Wine Country Connect, the "company" that fulfills all the orders here on wine.woot. He is around the forums and will answer questions. And you came to the right place to find answers. This forum, unlike it's big brother, is a fun, friendly, and informative place. These forums also have several of the wine makers as frequent guests. "eljefetwisted " is from Twisted Oak Winery and was very helpful earlier in the week.

I'm not positive, and WD may materialize to answer this, but as far as delaying your order for several months, I don't think that is possible. They will ship as soon as possible. And guarantee your shipment will arrive in good condition.

And I like to think of WD more like Willy Wonka than the Wizard of Oz.

INTLGerard


quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

eric9tx wrote:Gotta ask... why upside down?



The bottles are placed upside down in boxes and held in a warehouse for distribution. This helps keep the cork hydrated and expanded while it awaits its final destination...which hopefully is your table! At home it is still preferable to store the wine on its side but this an expensive proposition when shipping cases.

ERMD


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
UbiDubi wrote:WineDavid would be "Da Man". Mr. Wine Woot. Screen name "WineDavid39". WineDavid runs Wine Country Connect, the "company" that fulfills all the orders here on wine.woot. He is around the forums and will answer questions. And you came to the right place to find answers. This forum, unlike it's big brother, is a fun, friendly, and informative place. These forums also have several of the wine makers as frequent guests. "eljefetwisted " is from Twisted Oak Winery and was very helpful earlier in the week.

I'm not positive, and WD may materialize to answer this, but as far as delaying your order for several months, I don't think that is possible. They will ship as soon as possible. And guarantee your shipment will arrive in good condition.

And I like to think of WD more like Willy Wonka than the Wizard of Oz.


The old Willy Wonka or the crippy Depp Wonka?

Winedavid39


quality posts: 180 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

This is a good time to mention that blog's latest Peter Wellington has arrived. (scratch that, reverse it) .

Peter's, every two weeks or so , entries give a fantastic look into the wine industry from the perspective of a "wears all the hat's" smallish winery owner.

UbiDubi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages UbiDubi
ERMD wrote:The old Willy Wonka or the crippy Depp Wonka?



There's only one in my book. Gene Wilder, and please don't refer to him as "old". Although I will agree with "creepy" for Depp.

dianefreda


quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
tarheel17 wrote:“So sorry I’m late, Mrs. Woot.”
*shuffles papers sheepishly*
“Let’s see, I have my homework assignment somewhere…”
*drops pencils, papers, random playing cards all over the floor*
“OK, OK, here it is. Really, I’m sorry I didn’t get it done in time….maybe you could give me an extra credit sort of thing to do later?”
*slinks back to desk and slouches as low as possible, avoiding the glares from her classmates and teacher…*
--------------------------------------
EDIT:The 2005 Twisted Oak *%#&@! was tasted. Please don't take off too many points....

Ahem. So, tonight I raced back (inasmuch as anyone can race back through rush hour traffic) home to taste my labrat bottle. Since I am late to post, I decided to do a three part analysis (you know, for extra credit and all that…). Follow along if you will.

PART ONE: How the wine does by itself (or, what to do while you wait for dinner)
I popped the cork, started some laundry, ran on the treadmill for 30 minutes, showered, and 1.5 hours later, poured myself a glass. This is my version of lazy-gal’s-decanting.
I swirled and sniffed and I got a little rubber dust, and some overripe blackberries. Nice.
On the palate I got my first EVER taste of smoked meats (in wine, that is). I hear that description often for certain red wines, but I’m happy to say that for the first time EVER in my 2-year taking-wine-seriously career, this blend has finally given it up. To my very own personal olfactory bulb. This is very exciting to a wine geek like me. Besides that, I noticed a rich midpalate, very smooth, that transitions perfectly to the finish with just a hint of spice. My only complaint at this point was that the finish was a tad too ‘hot’ (alcoholic) to me.

PART TWO: How the wine does with food (or, how to best disguise my wine addiction with an appearance of normalcy)
Having been out of town since Monday night, there wasn’t a whole lot to choose from in the dinner department. So I settled for leftovers of what appear to be a Black Bean Mango Barley dish (obviously, not something I made). The dish itself is sweet, but a tad bland. Now, I am always hesitant to pair wine and food. Always. No matter what anyone says, I usually do not enjoy wine and food together. I’d say 90% of ‘accepted wine pairings’ (like shiraz and dark chocolate, or chianti and spaghetti with tomato sauce) I don’t like. This is perhaps because I am a slight supertaster (yep, took the test and everything) or maybe I just like my wine unadulterated. Who can tell.
Anyway, I can count on both hands the number of times that I have truly felt that the food enhanced the wine and vice versa in my dining experience (30 years, for you nosy types). So imagine my surprise when I discovered that THIS wine and THIS dish, went hand and hand like PB&J. I was so excited I wolfed everything down and guzzled my first glass with naught but a few notes, which were:
This wine is GREAT with food, it brings out the sweetness of the dish with its contrasting sour and earthiness. Meanwhile, the alcoholic finish completely disappears. I can’t get enough of it!

PART THREE: How the wine does against a contender (or, how to irritate your building manager by recycling way too many glass bottles each week)
In the kitchen, I found a bottle of Il Tarocco Chianti Classico 2005 on the counter. No telling how long it’s been open – my husband is not at home right now to query. I did not buy it, nor have I ever seen it before. I’m guessing it’s about a $10 bottle, but don’t’ know for sure.
Anyway, when a wine geek like me sees two open bottles on the counter, there is only one recourse: pit them against eachother! Who cares if one is sangiovese, and one is a Spanish blend. It matters not to the nerdy girl in the first row.
What I found was that the Twisted Oak retained it’s lovely charred sausage personality, complete with bloody fruit and even some stone and dirt (which I hadn’t noticed before). The Chianti? Well, let’s just say the fruit flavors were AWOL, and it was a sour, sour, SOUR experience. I’m back on the TO and sucking it down happily.

Thanks to everyone for reading this entirely too long post. And most of all, thanks to el jefe for making such great wine! This is not some mass-marketed fruit bomb with zero personality (but big bahonkas). This is the real deal. The kind you take home to marry. This wine is in it for the long haul.



It's all your fault-I was giving the bank account a rest this week after going crazy with the Ty Caton (which by the way has partly arrived and is fine so far), and after your description I fell right off the fence. So much for will power.

iceeblue7


quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7

Not a hijack but as I have seen a couple of posts on this I just wanted so share that I got my Ty Field Blend today in Colorado everything looks fine and the bottles were cold to the touch.

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
HitAnyKey42 wrote:And posts from TMR that are useful tend to be even less frequent. You lucked out with the above being relatively useful.


usefulness is overrated.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
UbiDubi wrote:There's only one in my book. Gene Wilder, and please don't refer to him as "old". Although I will agree with "creepy" for Depp.


creepy, scary & downright weird. but nothing wrong w/ being labeled "old" - especially when "old" happens to be "better" in this particular case!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

barrymccochener


quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrymccochener
Heelacious wrote:Hey folks,

New fuy here. Quick question: Is it possible to order here and have shipping delayed until it's not hot enough to fry an egg outside? Arizona is not wine friendly these days. (Unfortunately, shipping to work is not an option right now.)

Thanks.



Since I've seen this and your second post, I feel inclined to inform you that very, very few offerings from wine.woot can be ordered/shipped to Arizona. You're definitely welcome to learn from the forums and participate, but your best bet to try a lot of the wines offered here will be via your local wine shop. This offering is the first in about 5 months that has been able to go to Arizona. I just don't want you to get excited and then have your hopes and dreams shattered...

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 43 Private Messages eljefetwisted
jkwest wrote:What about in the Auburn/Grass Valley area? There's a Total Wine right down the hill in Roseville, but, I really do hate going down there into the city....I'm such a mountain snob...



I understand we're in a Nugget store down that way, best bet woukd be to call ahead.

From Auburn you are about 2 hours to Twisted on 49. We guarantee we'll have everything in stock. Skip the city and make a day of it!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

Heelacious


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Heelacious
barrymccochener wrote:Since I've seen this and your second post, I feel inclined to inform you that very, very few offerings from wine.woot can be ordered/shipped to Arizona. You're definitely welcome to learn from the forums and participate, but your best bet to try a lot of the wines offered here will be via your local wine shop. This offering is the first in about 5 months that has been able to go to Arizona. I just don't want you to get excited and then have your hopes and dreams shattered...



Good info. Thanks for shattering my hopes and dreams. ;)

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 43 Private Messages eljefetwisted
eric9tx wrote:Gotta ask... why upside down?



Got some time before the afternoon sales calls to check back in - BTW we got a definite placement of Petite Sirah at Charlie Palmer's in the Four Seasons!

To keep the corks hydrated. Probably not a big deal since the storage time is relatively short but we think it is the best practice.

The does have to be stored vertically for structural reasons! Pallets of 56 cases each are stacked four high. Storing the wine on its side would not support the weight.

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 43 Private Messages eljefetwisted
gcdyersb wrote:Decided to purchase the 3-pack as a first-time woot-er. Good mix of varietals, positive feedback on the wine, and significantly below retail price. Worth a shot!

Got a question for eljefe: do you try to time your shipping so it arrives during the week? I'm in SoCal and had it shipped to a business address that run 9-5, M-F. I'm mainly worried it'll get stuck someplace with poor climate control over the weekend if it goes out promptly Friday.



When we ship from the winery we do everything we can to ensure the wine does not sit over the weekend - in fact during the Summer we will only ship Monday and Tuesday. For the wine.woot they do their own shipping - but from what I have read here they also try to avoid the weekend sit.

You're doing the right thing sending it to a business: open every biz day during biz hours so the Brown Truck Person gets it to you on the first try!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 43 Private Messages eljefetwisted
tarheel17 wrote:On the palate I got my first EVER taste of smoked meats (in wine, that is). I hear that description often for certain red wines, but I’m happy to say that for the first time EVER in my 2-year taking-wine-seriously career, this blend has finally given it up. To my very own personal olfactory bulb.



Cool! Isn't this stuff fun? ;) That smoky meat character is what Mourvedre brings to the party, the *%#&@! blend is about half Mourvedre.

tarheel17 wrote:Thanks to everyone for reading this entirely too long post. And most of all, thanks to el jefe for making such great wine! This is not some mass-marketed fruit bomb with zero personality (but big bahonkas). This is the real deal. The kind you take home to marry. This wine is in it for the long haul.



Not that there is anything wrong with big bahonkas - thanks for the great report!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

CatherineB


quality posts: 3 Private Messages CatherineB

I can't resist after reading all the great comments. In for 2.

and hi! I've been wooting for a while, but this is my virgin post. I couldn't think of a better wine woot to lose it to....

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 43 Private Messages eljefetwisted
Heelacious wrote:Good info. Thanks for shattering my hopes and dreams. ;)



We *will* ship to AZ from the winery during the Summer, since to most parts of the state it is an overnight trip. The trick at the receiving end is to be absolutely certain you are able to get it on the first delivery attempt. Best way to do that is ship it to a commercial address, because they tend to get earlier deliveries and there is always someone there to sign for it.

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 43 Private Messages eljefetwisted
CatherineB wrote:I can't resist after reading all the great comments. In for 2.

and hi! I've been wooting for a while, but this is my virgin post. I couldn't think of a better wine woot to lose it to....



I'll do my best to be gentle - thanks!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

blusky558


quality posts: 1 Private Messages blusky558
UbiDubi wrote:There's only one in my book. Gene Wilder, and please don't refer to him as "old". Although I will agree with "creepy" for Depp.



I have the original soundtrack on vinyl, and at one point knew all the songs by heart. No one does Wonka like Gene.

On a wine note: got my TC field blend and DC both today, along with certain rubber chicken I ordered direct from TO. Taking said chicken to a 70's disco concert in the park after work. Wine, chicken and disco, great combo.

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 43 Private Messages eljefetwisted
themostrighteous wrote:that's one cool cat: dude FOUND your Twisted Oak PS, and we're having it at CWWT#3 this weekend!!! if you email us a picture of you, i'll print it, attach it to a chair & we'll all pretend that you are right there w/ us! we'll be sure to post our impressions here after the fact.


For sure! I am on my travel laptop which means I don't have my photos with me. If you can use this little tiny photo on this page:

http://www.openwineconsortium.org/profile/ElJefe

That's kind of my current bio pic...

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

UbiDubi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages UbiDubi
jkwest wrote:What about in the Auburn/Grass Valley area? There's a Total Wine right down the hill in Roseville, but, I really do hate going down there into the city....I'm such a mountain snob...



I'm thinking there might be enough of us up in this area to get a group tasting sometime. Or maybe WD needs some "scouts" to check out some of the smaller wineries.

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Winedavid39 wrote:This is a good time to mention that blog's latest Peter Wellington has arrived. (scratch that, reverse it) .

Peter's, every two weeks or so , entries give a fantastic look into the wine industry from the perspective of a "wears all the hat's" smallish winery owner.


WD, sir, kindly check your PMs.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

paryb


quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
themostrighteous wrote:WD, sir, kindly check your PMs.



For the new folks worried about the heat, and summer shipping, I live in Southern New Mexico, it is Hot, Hot and Dry. No good when you are with the ladies, no good in the desert. I just received my TY Field blend, all six bottles are cool to the touch, no swell, no leak, they feel fine, and they don't kiss bad either...Wait, that last part I don't know for sure.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

eric9tx


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
eljefetwisted wrote:For sure! I am on my travel laptop which means I don't have my photos with me. If you can use this little tiny photo on this page:

http://www.openwineconsortium.org/profile/ElJefe

That's kind of my current bio pic...



Is the chicken actually on fire, or is that just a lucky trick of the picture?

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
eric9tx wrote:Is the chicken actually on fire, or is that just a lucky trick of the picture?



I don't think we need any flaming chickens prancing around...


(hmmm, I think the line went invisible again)

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

CatherineB


quality posts: 3 Private Messages CatherineB
eljefetwisted wrote:I'll do my best to be gentle - thanks!



*Blush* SWOON!

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 231 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
eljefetwisted wrote:Got some time before the afternoon sales calls to check back in - BTW we got a definite placement of Petite Sirah at Charlie Palmer's in the Four Seasons!

To keep the corks hydrated. Probably not a big deal since the storage time is relatively short but we think it is the best practice.

The does have to be stored vertically for structural reasons! Pallets of 56 cases each are stacked four high. Storing the wine on its side would not support the weight.



French wine is often packed on its side in different shape boxes (3 layers of four or two layers of six). The bottles need to be alternated "head to toe" for stable stacking. They usually start with bulk glass, i.e. not already packed in cases. All mobile bottlers, and most bottling lines, period, are set up for stand-up cases. I once worked at a winery where we received glass in standard cases, but then tissue wrapped each bottle and packed in 2x6 lay down cardboard cases. Between the tissue wrapping, carton construction, insert folding, used box breakdown, etc. we had 22 people on a bottling line that otherwise would have needed 6. To top it off, retailers complained because the cases had a different footprint and didn't fit in with the way they stored wine.

eric9tx


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I don't think we need any flaming chickens prancing around...


(hmmm, I think the line went invisible again)




Have you ever even seen the line before?

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 43 Private Messages eljefetwisted
eric9tx wrote:Is the chicken actually on fire, or is that just a lucky trick of the picture?



its on fire! I've tried with other chickens and they don't catch. but that one wanted to flame for whatever reason. trivia: that is the same chicken that appears in my current WLTV forum avatar. probably just a coincidence.

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 43 Private Messages eljefetwisted
CatherineB wrote:*Blush* SWOON!



any day I get one of those is a very good day indeed!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted


quality posts: 43 Private Messages eljefetwisted
SonomaBouliste wrote:French wine is often packed on its side in different shape boxes (3 layers of four or two layers of six). The bottles need to be alternated "head to toe" for stable stacking. They usually start with bulk glass, i.e. not already packed in cases. All mobile bottlers, and most bottling lines, period, are set up for stand-up cases. I once worked at a winery where we received glass in standard cases, but then tissue wrapped each bottle and packed in 2x6 lay down cardboard cases. Between the tissue wrapping, carton construction, insert folding, used box breakdown, etc. we had 22 people on a bottling line that otherwise would have needed 6. To top it off, retailers complained because the cases had a different footprint and didn't fit in with the way they stored wine.



well, yeah, anythings possible. we'd rather keep it simple and inexpensive. that tissue adds up too!

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

kylemittskus


quality posts: 225 Private Messages kylemittskus
Heelacious wrote:Hey folks,

New fuy here. Quick question: Is it possible to order here and have shipping delayed until it's not hot enough to fry an egg outside? Arizona is not wine friendly these days. (Unfortunately, shipping to work is not an option right now.)

Thanks.



By the way, this Wine David everyone is telling you about is the dude who runs this joint. Rumors are he gets plastic surgery every three years to change his appearance and once, he killed a guy with Chardonnay. Welcome!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jkwest


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest
eljefetwisted wrote:I understand we're in a Nugget store down that way, best bet woukd be to call ahead.

From Auburn you are about 2 hours to Twisted on 49. We guarantee we'll have everything in stock. Skip the city and make a day of it!



Tell you what....I bought 2 batches here....if they are everything that I am hoping that they are, I will steal my wife away for a Saturday and come on over!!! Maybe even wear my Polyphemus or Vayniac t-shirt so you can tell who I am....

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

jkwest


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest
UbiDubi wrote:I'm thinking there might be enough of us up in this area to get a group tasting sometime. Or maybe WD needs some "scouts" to check out some of the smaller wineries.



That would be wonderful!!!

Hell, I am a wine member of about 4 different wineries from Auburn to Grass Valley..I could put a good word in for those places...not quite sure they have the stock to support a wine.woot week.....but, they probably would like to try...

Wine only comes in one color...Red...