labROUS

quality posts: 7 Private Messages labROUS
xK3N2x wrote:I'm really new to wine in general but my Dad is trying to turn me on to it. I've had only good experiences with wine.

I've had the temparillo and loved it, but does anyone have any other suggestions for a starter?

Usually softer,fruitier (and even sweet) wines have more appeal for neophyte wine drinkers. With that in mind, I'd try Riesling for white (it's made in many different styles, but commonly at least a little bit sweet). Beaujolais for reds. Don't start with high priced wines; while you may enjoy some of them immensely they are typically stronger flavored and more of an acquired taste. Tannin levels vary greatly - a six dollar Merlot or Zin or anything else is likely to be a much softer, fruitier wine than an expensive coastal counterpart.

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

Nice labrats, guys!!! Glad I'm in for two!!

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
jkwest wrote:Nice labrats, guys!!! Glad I'm in for two!!

Indeed. I feel like this is a good order or rather, two, for my first wine.woot.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

labROUS

quality posts: 7 Private Messages labROUS
jkwest wrote:Hahaha!!!!

Just move two hours north of San Fran then....I've lived here for over 30 years and have never felt an earthquake....and, if the big one hits, its just a shorter drive to the ocean!!! Woot!!

Willits? Or elsewhere in America's greenest wine appellation?

dublwrap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dublwrap

It's only Wednesday, but I declare this week's wine.woot forum the most informative and weirdest to date. Who needs reality TV when you have reality WRITING.

Robert Craig / Wellington Vineyards/Gundlach Bundschu /K Vintners/ Saddleback / Scott Harvey/ Twisted Oak / Frazier / Peltier Station / Corison / Lucas & Lewellen / Woot Cellars / Kent Rasmussen / Donati Family Vineyard Trio /

hk94

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hk94

Labrat report - pt. 1

Sorry so long. I'm a verbose individual. Also, I think it's fair to say that while I enjoy wine, I despise pretension, so I'm trying to keep this low key.

I am not familiar with the Grenache so much (I bought this for the Tempranillo and the naughty word wine), so this was a nice surprise. It came last night, but I decided to white trash it up with some beer and was in no condition to try the wine by the time my husband got home.

Since everything is better with pics, here it goes!

Bottle sitting on my filthy counter, with my Willy Wonka ticket. It's OK to be jealous of my formica. I know you all are.

When I pulled out the cork, it was literally crumbling. This doesn't bode well. But check out what was all around the lip of the bottle. This is just nasty. It's not cork, I'm not sure what it is.

It just appears to be sentiment. Wasn't planning on decanting, but I guess I have to now.

Sitting and decanting. I'm grilling a turkey breast for dinner, so it'll probably be later before I try it. My husband stole a glass, and he said it was "spicy". He never offers up an opinion on wine, so consider yourselves all lucky.

hk94

Labrat report - pt. 2

No more photos. Too much effort and I'm just wanting to curl up with the wine! Wine decanted for about 75 minutes, and I needed to grab some before my husband drank it all.

Color is very dull. Not a garnet, much too flat to be that. I'm going to borrow a page out of Gary V's book, since I feel bad for trashing him a couple of weeks ago, and say that the color looks EXACTLY like the black cherry kool-aid I used to drink as a kid.

Nose: The earth is the first thing that hit me. I tried not to read the other posts so I wouldn't be spoiled, but I can't help myself. I'm looking for the strawberry scent, just not picking it up. I am getting some spice though. Nutmeg? Maybe cinammon? Anyway, I really like the nose. I'm more into these aromas than fruity aromas.

Appearance: A quick swirl of the glass, this looks lighter in body than I expected. Closer to a pinot noir, but I guess that makes sense, since everyone recommend fowl to go with this. You can see your fingers through the wine, but barely.

Taste: The first thing I thought when I tasted was light smoke. Not smokey like when you normally describe wines as "smokey", but more of a tobacco flavor. Sort of like I licked the inside of a humidor. Which I try to do at least twice a day. Some oak comes through on the mid pallet, but it's not too overdone. Then comes the finish. It's one part spice, one part heat. The first sip I took, I was thinking black pepper, but subsequent sips do taste a little hot. But that pepper taste is still in there.

Verdict: Not too bad. I'm almost relieved I wasn't saddled with a heavier wine on such a warm day. It's very easy to drink, but I question how well it'll pair with food. An earlier review suggested pizza, and I thought at first that this would be too light for that, but now I'm thinking it's best with shellfish in red sauce. All in all, I wouldn't buy a 3 pack of just this, but I think it'll be a nice contrast to the other wines in this set.

Now my turkey breast burned while I was typing, so I'll find out how it goes with carcogens! I hope someone found this helpful.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
hk94 wrote:Labrat report - pt. 1

Sitting and decanting. I'm grilling a turkey breast for dinner, so it'll probably be later before I try it. My husband stole a glass, and he said it was "spicy". He never offers up an opinion on wine, so consider yourselves all lucky.

Love that decanter, hk!

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

MalcolmPX

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MalcolmPX

(Originally posted JUN 4, 2008 8:20 PM under my primary name)

LabRabbit Report Part, the second: After forty minutes in a decanter.

Leather nose has subsided quite a bit, giving way to the PopTart filling and a slight bit of petrol/pork fat. The palate changes from second to second. Soft attack still with sour cherry on leather. This melts into some sort of dark fruit, baking chocolate (not milk chocolate, not deep milk chocolate, not dark chocolate, but 90+% cacao baking chocolate), and tar (not necessarily in that order) mid- to back-palate where it's joined by bacon. Then in that spot on the roof of my mouth where the bitterness hits me, is is a finish of softened suede, Coca-Cola Blak, bacon, and baking chocolate, and YES tannins drying out my mouth. Not as much as my favorite wines from Southwest France or Uruguay, or even a Languedoc Grenache, but they're there. I should enjoy this with the bacon-wrapped filet mignon I'm preparing.

Bringing about an all wine.woot black square by any means necessary.--MalcolmPX

Betty Shirazz? Yeah, I think I know her.

MalcolmPX

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MalcolmPX

LabRabbit Report, Part, the third: After dinner

As predicted, this wine was excellent with the meal which consisted of bacon-wrapped filet mignon (courtesy Omaha Steaks), green and wax beans with a cranberry-butter-herb sauce, and butter and herb mashed potatoes. I'm single so the beans were Birds Eye and the potatoes were Betty Crocker. I also used a cup of it to make a variation of my favorite Merlot Cream sauce (*%#&@!-ing Cream Sauce?), which I put over the potatoes and drizzled a little over the filet. It worked very well, and the smooth tannins, still not to my "monster truck" liking, did a good job of half-cleaning my mouth.

Bottom line, this wine is an excellent example of a California Rhône style blend. If you know and love true Rhônes, you might find it wanting in some ways. It's definitely a "New World" blend, especially after some time opening up when the leather gives way to the fruit. If you like Rhône blends of the new world, you'll find it squarely within your expectations and enjoy every sip. If you're new to Rhônes, this is a good starting point that will expose you to some of their idiosyncracies without drowning you in them. A solid effort and at under $17 a bottle, a good QPR with this offer.

MalcolmPX (a.k.a., iByron) Out!

Bringing about an all wine.woot black square by any means necessary.--MalcolmPX

Betty Shirazz? Yeah, I think I know her.

buttercup27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buttercup27

Woo Hoo!
Thank you so much for the opportunity to make a complete fool of myself at work. My employees don't need anymore proof that I'm crazy and a wine lover. Having to explain what the golden ticket was while grinning ear to ear is not that easy!

Labrat for the *%#&@!

(not to have any preconceptions, I will abstain from reading the last few pages of comments until I taste)

Dinner is almost done, and lab partner is on the way... although if he takes too long the experiment may be over.
Don't know how it will pair, but I'm making Caesar salad and Rice noodles with olive oil, roasted garlic, and vine ripe tomato sauce.

Back shortly!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
hk94 wrote:Labrat report - pt. 2
*snip*
...more of a tobacco flavor. Sort of like I licked the inside of a humidor. Which I try to do at least twice a day...
*snip*

That is some really funny stuff right there...thank you to all the labrats on this one!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

I'm betting there's someone else out there who's a rat for the *%#&@! and hasn't discovered it yet...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
cheron98 wrote:pita. *fixes the labrat thread*

Pita? I thought it was the filter, but nope. She typed "pita."

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

eric9tx

Great labrattery so far! Kudos, everyone!

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

cheron98

eric9tx wrote:Pita? I thought it was the filter, but nope. She typed "pita."

you've never heard 'PITA' before? pain in the azz?

eric9tx

cheron98 wrote:you've never heard 'PITA' before? pain in the azz?

*giggles*. Nope, but I like it!

edit: *crawls back under his rock*

213 wooted bottles

CT

cheron98

eric9tx wrote:*giggles*. Nope, but I like it!

edit: *crawls back under his rock*

hahaha, I was going to put up a post of *pulls you out from under the rock*

eric9tx

cheron98 wrote:hahaha, I was going to put up a post of *pulls you out from under the rock*

You are SOOOO lucky I'm in TX and not closer. Although I could take some hints from nallie

213 wooted bottles

CT

buttercup27

buttercup27 wrote:Woo Hoo!
Thank you so much for the opportunity to make a complete fool of myself at work. My employees don't need anymore proof that I'm crazy and a wine lover. Having to explain what the golden ticket was while grinning ear to ear is not that easy!

Labrat for the *%#&@!

(not to have any preconceptions, I will abstain from reading the last few pages of comments until I taste)

Dinner is almost done, and lab partner is on the way... although if he takes too long the experiment may be over.
Don't know how it will pair, but I'm making Caesar salad and Rice noodles with olive oil, roasted garlic, and vine ripe tomato sauce.

Back shortly!

Ok, pop and pour... Tartrates on the cork and inside the bottle
(Wellington has taught me this is a good thing)
Color purpley-red light in color, I can see through the glass easy, but not the decanter
Smells like dark fruit and a perfumy spice
First taste, kinda hot... needs some time to open up

45minutes later:
Soft and juicy right away and then the tannins come and attack. Peppery finish.

Lab partner arrives...
Me: "So, what do you think?? What do you taste?"
Him: "I don't have that kind of palate, man..."
Me: "Do you taste any fruit? Leather? Spice? Dirt?" (assorted nagging )
Him: "It tastes ok"
Me: "How does it taste at first? Fruity? Then do the tannins dry up your mouth? "
Him: "It has a sweet aftertaste"
Me: "Uhhhh I need to type something here.... How is it compared to other wines?"
Him: "Well... Poizin... WOW, Thats a great wine and that mertiage your friend brought over, that was great too"

90 minutes after open:
Him: "Its good I like it , I could drink a lot of it"
Me: "............"

This wine definitely benefits from decanting, but I'm not sure I adore this style of wine. I prefer a full bodied, bad ass wine. This wine is almost pinot noirish in body and I'm typically looking for more from a wine.

I hope my comments are useful to someone...
I'm not an wine expert by any means, but I do love the grapes!
I really love this place and you are all so generous with your knowledge and wit!

Beth
eta: I'm really looking forward to the wines, I think this one in particular would be great with mixed company. It's not too bold. Can't wait to taste the others!

cheron98

eric9tx wrote:You are SOOOO lucky I'm in TX and not closer. Although I could take some hints from nallie

meep

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
hk94 wrote:
When I pulled out the cork, it was literally crumbling. This doesn't bode well. But check out what was all around the lip of the bottle. This is just nasty. It's not cork, I'm not sure what it is.

Looks like tartrate crystals, possibly some sediment in there too. Neither are signs that there is a problem with the wine. Happens on a lot of nice wines. Wines that are filtered less or not at all (generally a good thing) tend to have more.

The cork looks pretty intact in your photo, was it just the "red part" near the wine that was crumbling or the whole thing? If it was just the end by the wine it could have just been more of those crystals formed on the cork.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

cheron98

buttercup27 wrote:Ok, pop and pour... Tartrates on the cork and inside the bottle
(Wellington has taught me this is a good thing)
Color purpley-red light in color, I can see through the glass easy, but not the decanter
Smells like dark fruit and a perfumy spice
First taste, kinda hot... needs some time to open up

45minutes later:
Soft and juicy right away and then the tannins come and attack. Peppery finish.

Lab partner arrives...
Me: "So, what do you think?? What do you taste?"
Him: "I don't have that kind of palate, man..."
Me: "Do you taste any fruit? Leather? Spice? Dirt?" (assorted nagging )
Him: "It tastes ok"
Me: "How does it taste at first? Fruity? Then do the tannins dry up your mouth? "
Him: "It has a sweet aftertaste"
Me: "Uhhhh I need to type something here.... How is it compared to other wines?"
Him: "Well... Poizin... WOW, Thats a great wine and that mertiage your friend brought over, that was great too"

90 minutes after open:
Him: "Its good I like it , I could drink a lot of it"
Me: "............"

This wine definitely benefits from decanting, but I'm not sure I adore this style of wine. I prefer a full bodied, bad ass wine. This wine is almost pinot noirish in body and I'm typically looking for more from a wine.

I hope my comments are useful to someone...
I'm not an wine expert by any means, but I do love the grapes!
I really love this place and you are all so generous with your knowledge and wit!

Beth

Excellent report, thanks!

doppeldog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doppeldog
MarkDaSpark wrote:Just let Service and WD know, and they should take care of you. The Field Blend should be okay, as the truck probably has been moving since Monday, so it hasn't been sitting in a warehouse over the weekend like the other two.

From what I've read, there's a difference with summer shipping methods, and I think WD posted that they are revamping to make them better. I think it costs a little more ($7 instead of $5), but it should be worth it.

WD, I think it sounds like Summer Shipping needs to go into effect .....

I posted earlier today that my Ty Caton-Updated set had been thrashed by the heat, but today my 9 bottles of Field Blend arrived seemingly intact. Also, my 3 sets of the original Ty Caton had arrived looking fine on Monday. So, I think all is not lost! Looking forward to WD's brilliant summer shipping plans!

buttercup27

cheron98 wrote:Excellent report, thanks!

Thanks Cheron,
I'd love to make the next Detroit tasting, but my work schedule is challenging. (I'm a restaurant manager and mama to a nearly 4 year old)
I will keep checking your thread...

cheron98

buttercup27 wrote:Thanks Cheron,
I'd love to make the next Detroit tasting, but my work schedule is challenging. (I'm a restaurant manager and mama to a nearly 4 year old)

Restaurant manager, eh? What restaurant?

buttercup27

cheron98 wrote:Restaurant manager, eh? What restaurant?

Check your PM, I work in Plymouth

hk94

andyduncan wrote:Looks like tartrate crystals, possibly some sediment in there too. Neither are signs that there is a problem with the wine. Happens on a lot of nice wines. Wines that are filtered less or not at all (generally a good thing) tend to have more.

The cork looks pretty intact in your photo, was it just the "red part" near the wine that was crumbling or the whole thing? If it was just the end by the wine it could have just been more of those crystals formed on the cork.

It was the entire side that isn't visible in the photo that was crumbly. I had a close up, but didn't upload, as you couldn't really make out the detail. In any case, it didn't taste like it had been oxidized, but I was a little freaked when I first saw it!

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Commendable labrat reports, thank you! Looking forward to my order!

WonderWooter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages WonderWooter
buttercup27 wrote:Thanks Cheron,

I am hijacking a bit to say "I'm a restaurant manager too!" Not a mommy yet . . .(note to self, put finding a man back at the top of priority list).

Also, I am in TN so can't be a purchaser, but just want to say, that I come in here because I have learned more from these message boards than from some high dollar wine seminars! It has really helped me know my product and understand the vino.

Thank you to all the regular posters!

Don't be sexist. Broads hate that.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
clayfu wrote:Temp is probably the very best starter wine imho. It has all the necessary qualities for a great wine (fruit/tannins/light oak etc etc) in a cheap price.

For whites i'd suggest a sauv blanc, probably want to try the ones from New Zealand (correction!), good prices.. crisp acidic whites. (if you like that).

For reds i'd probably suggest... Merlot? Very approachable for a new wine drinker. Easy to drink and fruit forward

Yup. The very first wine that floored me was a Rioja. After drinking lots of Mateus Rose and Gallo Hearty Burgundy, that Rioja was a revelation. Had it at a tasting, bought a bottle for $5 (in the early 70's) and for some reason did not buy much more wine for quite a few years. Too busy with the career and young kids, I guess.

I also agree on the crisp white wines. Another bottle that I remember from the early seventies was a wonderful pouilly-fuisse (sp?) that a friend and I finished off one summer afternoon.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
labROUS wrote:Okay, I guess I’ve been a well behaved rodent. My double secret probation has been lifted and I’m taking my chances with reviews again. Por eljefetorcido y otros que no saben – labROUS is SonomaBouliste (see sidebar on blog page for “Weary Winemaker” blogs) is a Sonoma Valley winemaker of dubious repute.

LabROUS report

2005 Twisted Oak Grenache

Medium red. Initial aromas of raspberry and strawberry with a gamy note. After swirling it develops very ripe cherry and berry aromas with a bit of raisin, almost Zin-like. There are added notes of cinnamon and a slightly smoky, Syrah-like character. There is a lot of complexity and a mature aspect to the aroma; this doesn’t smell like the straightforward fruit bomb that often typifies young Grenache. There’s a big sweet, full entry, lots of very ripe fruit flavor with good acid balance, and the tannins are moderate. There is some alcohol heat, which comes on mid-palate and intensifies a bit at the finish. Given the complexity and seeming maturity of the aromas, the soft tannins, and the alcohol, I think this wine will probably be most enjoyable over the short term and is probably not a great candidate for extended aging.

2005 Twisted Oak Tempranillo

Medium dark to dark purple-red. Initial aromas are of low to medium toast oak, ripe plum, dill and black olive. With swirling the fruit aromas intensify and are joined by leather, licorice and tobacco while the oak is still quite evident. More aeration brings out more fruit, a toffee-like character and some floral notes. Although I’m not much of one for decanting, if you’re going to drink this one young it will probably be much more interesting if decanted / aerated first.
The entry is sweet and full, there is good weight and viscosity, and that texture is consistent through the mid-palate to the rich finish. The fruit and oak flavors don’t seem fully integrated yet, and there is some drying astringency. There is adequate acid for balance without tartness. This wine seems like it will benefit from aging at least another couple of years.

2005 Twisted Oak *%#&@!

Medium dark purple-red. Initial aromas are stewed fruit, sandalwood, black pepper and oak. With swirling there is plum and cherry, chocolate, orange peel and a “meaty” character. Further aeration yields vanilla, leather, a bit of mint, modeling clay and lots of black pepper. The entry is quite sweet, full and mouthcoating. The middle is full and fruity with a chocolatey aspect, without a lot of apparent acid. There is a bit of unresolved tannin, but the finish lingers for some time. This seems more developed than the Tempranillo but will probably also benefit from cellar age.

These three wines definitely show a kinship. The regional characteristics and winemaking style are consistent. All three are fairly big, quite ripe and a tad rustic – typical of Sierra foothill wines. The style blends elements of new and old world winemaking, big and ripe, yet complex rather than simple and fruity.

Dammit, Peter. I REALLY thought I was going to pass this week. That is now as likely as.. ahh who knows. I'll be ordering at least two sets.

tarheel17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tarheel17

WOOT!
You rock.
I, sadly, do not.

I was a lucky bastard and received a 2005 *%#&@! labrat bottle yesterday. Having been called away for work on an 'emergency' dive operation (read: someone forgot to schedule an extra diver and I got roped in at the last minute monday afternoon), I am sitting pretty in a drab hotel room about 200 miles north of Seattle, where my labrat bottle awats.
My husband just called to tell me of this mysterious package, and I begged, pleaded and grovelled to have him open up the bottle and post his note for all you eager listeners here on woot. Alas, he is mid-deadline, and will be up all night on the computer, and wishes to remain clearheaded. (! the idea!)

My deepest, most sincere apolgies to the Woot Nation. This dive project will be done tomorrow, barring any unforseen typhoons, so I will race home and taste my twisted oak tomorrow eve. Even if I get home at midnight, I'm cracking that baby open.

Thanks WD and el jefe and most of all everyone reading this - I'm so sorry to be tardy! I'm really very punctual in real life - ask grammiedaboss!

Megan

Twisted Oak Tempranillo, Roessler Blue Jay, K Vintners, Corison Kronos (x3), Twisted Oak (x2), Substance, Corison, PoiZin, Lange (x2), Three Rivers

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
damightyanteater wrote:(6/3/2008 10:49 PM) nallie defenestrates.

Once my flower grew ROFL!!!

Well, nallie didn't ask for any specific kind of verb...

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
tarheel17 wrote:My deepest, most sincere apolgies to the Woot Nation. This dive project will be done tomorrow, barring any unforseen typhoons, so I will race home and taste my twisted oak tomorrow eve. Even if I get home at midnight, I'm cracking that baby open.

Thanks WD and el jefe and most of all everyone reading this - I'm so sorry to be tardy! I'm really very punctual in real life - ask grammiedaboss!

Megan

We'll forgive you...or at least I will at any rate, and I'm sure that counts for something. And even though being stuck at work right now with another couple hours left to do (after IT fixes a damn process error) it would have been nice to read another labrat report, I guess I'll just go find some other things on the web to read. Or maybe I'll start doing cartwheels down the hallway.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
Gatzby wrote:Well, nallie didn't ask for any specific kind of verb...

Very correct. And I am not displeased. The yang of the implication that I throw things out of windows balances the yin of the initial charge of begging. I can be down with that.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

tommythecat78

nallie wrote:Very correct. And I am not displeased. The yang of the implication that I throw things out of windows balances the yin of the initial charge of begging. I can be down with that.

From what I've read around here is that it is usually bodies being thrown through said windows.

On a totally unrelated subject...don't cross nallie!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

tommythecat78

Hey eljefe...I know your living it up in Vegas right now (hatred growing), but if you can point me in the direction of some Chicagoland area wine shops that carry your juice it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

tommythecat78

WonderWooter wrote:I am hijacking a bit to say "I'm a restaurant manager too!" Not a mommy yet . . .(note to self, put finding a man back at the top of priority list).

Also, I am in TN so can't be a purchaser, but just want to say, that I come in here because I have learned more from these message boards than from some high dollar wine seminars! It has really helped me know my product and understand the vino.

Thank you to all the regular posters!

These boards were the major reason that I decided to get into wine. Unbelievable in this day and age to find this kind of community. Your signature is awesome by the way.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
speedoo wrote:Yup. The very first wine that floored me was a Rioja. After drinking lots of Mateus Rose and Gallo Hearty Burgundy, that Rioja was a revelation. Had it at a tasting, bought a bottle for $5 (in the early 70's) and for some reason did not buy much more wine for quite a few years. Too busy with the career and young kids, I guess.

I also agree on the crisp white wines. Another bottle that I remember from the early seventies was a wonderful pouilly-fuisse (sp?) that a friend and I finished off one summer afternoon.

I had a $11 Temp two nights ago (priced at $30 at the restaurant... no idea why since no other wines had markups) but everyone thought it tasted like $30. Spain is a plethora of amazing deals.