+ Add a Comment

Routerhead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Routerhead

I HATE you wine woot. Hate hate hate.

Can't you just sell crappy overoaked Chardonnay packs for a month or so to give my wallet a rest? Whassamatter wit'chu?

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

thatguy314 wrote:el jeffe: since you're a spanish/rhone guy, do you have any thoughts on the white tempranillo clone that was released a few years ago? i've heard about it, but i haven't really seen any and am fairly curious about it.

Good question…Reportedly, still in the experimental stage. One winery reported is Dinastía Vivanco. If you haven’t seen it, check out this Tempranillo blog on the subject. Seems promising, but it appears that if it’s released out of Rioja it will have to be in a blend and even that is a ways away.…we’ll have to wait for more from the Riojan authority on that. IMO if it’s successful, it’s a safe bet someone will bring it elsewhere.

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
JOATMON wrote:Funny, I always thought that "off beat" came from jazz; more specifically "off of the metronome beat"

That was more explaining my lazily said statement earlier. I'd certainly say that these are less commonly featured varietals, esp. in US wineries. But do they dance to the rhythm of a different drum? Do they ignore the drum and beat all together and look like me trying to breakdance after a few too many bottles of wine? Maybe. I dunno. I'm going to have to wait until I get mine to say fo sho

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
INTLGerard wrote:Good question…Reportedly, still in the experimental stage. One winery reported is Dinastía Vivanco. If you haven’t seen it, check out this Tempranillo blog on the subject. Seems promising, but it appears that if it’s released out of Rioja it will have to be in a blend and even that is a ways away.…we’ll have to wait for more from the Riojan authority on that. IMO if it’s successful, it’s a safe bet someone will bring it elsewhere.

Thanks. That's a great link. As far as my question, I was specifically referring to the white mutant in Rioja, not the "blanc-de-noirs"

debegone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debegone

I just received my second order of Ty Caton in Austin and all my bottles had leaked. The same goes for my first order. My order of Field Blend arrives on Friday, but I don't hold out much hope. I was soooo looking forward to drinking these wines!

I think I'm done ordering wine for the summer.

bridgeresq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bridgeresq
doppeldog wrote:Don't mean to hijack away from Twisted Oak, but I received my Ty Caton 3-pack (Updated, with 2006 Bench Merlot) yesterday and all 6 bottles were ruined! Either the corks were pushed out by half an inch, or the bottles had leaked. I almost cried at the waste. My Ty Caton 3-pack (original offering) arrived on Monday seemingly unscathed, but I am worried about the Field Blend which arrives later today. I already e-mailed service with pictures. If someone tells me how to paste in a picture here, I can do so...

Winefarm/WD please consider summer shipping options! I would be willing to pay more for shipping to ensure the safety of my wine!

I live in NOLA and my TC samplers arrived yesterday (I ordered 2 of the Sampler and 2 of the Field Blend) and when I opened the box there were tell-tale drips of wine. The CS definitely leaked, not sure of the other 5 bottles. Sorry to post in Twisted Oak forum - have ordered the Twisted Oak offering and eagerly anticipating!!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bridgeresq wrote:I live in NOLA and my TC samplers arrived yesterday (I ordered 2 of the Sampler and 2 of the Field Blend) and when I opened the box there were tell-tale drips of wine. The SB definitely leaked, not sure of the other 5 bottles. Sorry to post in Twisted Oak forum - have ordered the Twisted Oak offering and eagerly anticipating!!

It's suddenly dawned on me why the last few weeks have been simply irresistible wines... WD's trying to push them all out before the hot weather really sets in So the rest of the summer is going to be not-quite-so-tempting stuff, right? Right? My poor wallet...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

thatguy314 wrote:Thanks. That's a great link. As far as my question, I was specifically referring to the white mutant in Rioja, not the "blanc-de-noirs"

Understood. Interestingly...I was going to mention to beware of the blanc de noirs. Four paragraph's down they discuss the mutant varietal (the EU won't allow WT as a varietal name) and the winery responds to that discussion. I found this quite informative. Also, notice the other winery is referring to the BdN technique as Blanco de Tempranillo so...buyer beware. :-O

Hey, you may have inspired Eljefe to be the first American AVA to plant.

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

Man...I'm glad its a short drive from Sonoma to Auburn...I would be worried too...

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare
coynedj wrote:You need to move to Minnesota. It's been in the upper 60s lately, and my Ty arrived yesterday looking just fine. Of course, we do have to deal with 20 below in the winter, which is about the temperature at which Minnesotans stop wearing shorts. You win some, you lose some.

So your wine shipments won't cook in the summer but they will freeze in the winter? That's what happened to me in NY. My first Ty order in January 2007 was frozen (and replaced). No, you can't win.

cheron98 wrote:It's suddenly dawned on me why the last few weeks have been simply irresistible wines... WD's trying to push them all out before the hot weather really sets in So the rest of the summer is going to be not-quite-so-tempting stuff, right? Right? My poor wallet...

Ah! Maybe this is why we had two double weeks recently as well.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
JOATMON wrote:Funny, I always thought that "off beat" came from jazz; more specifically "off of the metronome beat"

thatguy314 wrote: I'd certainly say that these are less commonly featured varietals, esp. in US wineries. But do they dance to the rhythm of a different drum? Do they ignore the drum and beat all together and look like me trying to breakdance after a few too many bottles of wine? Maybe. I dunno. I'm going to have to wait until I get mine to say fo sho

Getting way off topic, but anyone who knows real jazz (as opposed to the stuff some people think is jazz, but really isn't) knows that the beat is set by the bass player, not the drummer. But "dancing to the beat of a different bass" just doesn't roll so easily off the tongue, does it? I must admit that the image of breakdancing grapes is fun, though.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

shimey013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimey013
cheron98 wrote:It's suddenly dawned on me why the last few weeks have been simply irresistible wines... WD's trying to push them all out before the hot weather really sets in So the rest of the summer is going to be not-quite-so-tempting stuff, right? Right? My poor wallet...

Yea, thats why i think this order will be my last wine.woot order until summer ends...thats doesnt mean that i will vanish, I will hang out and maybe chance it if i see something I REALLY want, but other then that, this sounds like a good way to end my wine.woot for the summer....

My Cellar

W: 2 W.W: 5 S.W: 1

xK3N2x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xK3N2x

I'm really new to wine in general but my Dad is trying to turn me on to it. I've had only good experiences with wine.

I've had the temparillo and loved it, but does anyone have any other suggestions for a starter?

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
coynedj wrote:Getting way off topic, but anyone who knows real jazz (as opposed to the stuff some people think is jazz, but really isn't) knows that the beat is set by the bass player, not the drummer. But "dancing to the beat of a different bass" just doesn't roll so easily off the tongue, does it? I must admit that the image of breakdancing grapes is fun, though.

Yeah, but the original phrase wasn't "dance" or "move", it was "march". As in soldiers, (hence the "little drummer boy", as the drum was the first instrument, and kids who were too young to bear arms still had a military role as runners and musicians) and fife/flute players who established the march tempo for soldiers to keep them at the same pace, keeping time, marching in tune, keeping in step, whatever you want to call it. I imagine that marching while playing a bass would be decidedly non-trivial.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
eljefetwisted wrote:There are a LOT of tournament possibilities this weekend. Trying to decide whether to lose my WSOP virginity...

pre flop last night. AA v. KK. v. QQ.

I'm first to act with KK , raise to $40. Next to act is AA, he re raises to $80. Really loose STUPID player. Final to act is short stack so he shoves all in for $160. I reraise all in for $350 thinking AA is playing one of his normal stupid hands again. Insta call. =(

To make the hurt even more so, flop comes out an A =(

clayfu

xK3N2x wrote:I'm really new to wine in general but my Dad is trying to turn me on to it. I've had only good experiences with wine.

I've had the temparillo and loved it, but does anyone have any other suggestions for a starter?

Temp is probably the very best starter wine imho. It has all the necessary qualities for a great wine (fruit/tannins/light oak etc etc) in a cheap price.

For whites i'd suggest a sauv blanc, probably want to try the ones from New Zealand (correction!), good prices.. crisp acidic whites. (if you like that).

For reds i'd probably suggest... Merlot? Very approachable for a new wine drinker. Easy to drink and fruit forward

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
clayfu wrote:pre flop last night. AA v. KK. v. QQ.

I'm first to act with KK , raise to $40. Next to act is AA, he re raises to $80. Really loose STUPID player. Final to act is short stack so he shoves all in for $160. I reraise all in for $350 thinking AA is playing one of his normal stupid hands again. Insta call. =(

ow. ow ow ow. I hurt for you!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Loweeel

Summer '08: One Decanter, One Week.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Loweeel

clayfu wrote:Temp is probably the very best starter wine imho. It has all the necessary qualities for a great wine (fruit/tannins/light oak etc etc) in a cheap price.

For whites i'd suggest a sauv blanc, probably want to try the ones from Australia, good prices.. crisp acidic whites. (if you like that).

For reds i'd probably suggest... Merlot? Very approachable for a new wine drinker. Easy to drink and fruit forward

Aus? Don't you mean NZ?

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
Loweeel wrote: I imagine that marching while playing a bass would be decidedly non-trivial.

What was the Woody Allen movie in which he played bass fiddle in a marching band, and had to move his chair every five seconds? Was it "Take the Money and Run"?

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

kevo152

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevo152

Just curious if anyone saw WLTV yesterday where Gary did a blind $10 cab tasting? At the end when he was going to reveal the wines, the show was cut and we were told that an explanation was forthcoming. It got me thinking that maybe one of the wines was a woot wine? I remember when Gary's book was on wine.woot a line at the end of the description said "Now, Gary, let’s talk quid-pro-quo…". Thoughts?

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Cesare wrote:So your wine shipments won't cook in the summer but they will freeze in the winter? That's what happened to me in NY. My first Ty order in January 2007 was frozen (and replaced). No, you can't win.

Yes you can. Live in the SF bay area. Overnight shipping, and very little chance of either freezing or cooking.

I'm just sayin'

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
coynedj wrote:What was the Woody Allen movie in which he played bass fiddle in a marching band, and had to move his chair every five seconds? Was it "Take the Money and Run"?

Cello. Which means that he was also dragging along a chair to sit in.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

clayfu

kylemittskus wrote:As I am new to wine.woot, this is most likely a stupid question; however, here it is anyway. This wine is shipping from California to Southern California. I should have no worries with the storage or anything by the transporter, correct? Also, how long does it normally take to be delivered? Will I receive a tracking number as I do for woot and shirt.woot orders?

Thanks for the continuing guidance veterans.

you'll probably get a tracking number AFTER you get the wine.. heh. But.. you shouldn't be overly worried about the heat unless it's incredibly hot that day. Even one hour of intense heat can kill your wine.

clayfu

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare
JOATMON wrote:Yes you can. Live in the SF bay area. Overnight shipping, and very little chance of either freezing or cooking.

I'm just sayin'

True. Until the next big earthquake cracks all the bottles of Bordeaux you've been saving for 20 years.
I'm just sayin'

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest
Cesare wrote:True. Until the next big earthquake cracks all the bottles of Bordeaux you've been saving for 20 years.
I'm just sayin'

Hahaha!!!!

Just move two hours north of San Fran then....I've lived here for over 30 years and have never felt an earthquake....and, if the big one hits, its just a shorter drive to the ocean!!! Woot!!

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

xK3N2x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xK3N2x
clayfu wrote:Temp is probably the very best starter wine imho. It has all the necessary qualities for a great wine (fruit/tannins/light oak etc etc) in a cheap price.

For whites i'd suggest a sauv blanc, probably want to try the ones from New Zealand (correction!), good prices.. crisp acidic whites. (if you like that).

Thank you so much! My gf and I will start to enjoy wine mroe fully now

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

(6/3/2008 10:49 PM) nallie defenestrates.

Once my flower grew ROFL!!!

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

Winedavid39

quality posts: 203 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Loweeel wrote:Summer '08: One Decanter, One Week.

Hah!, Believe me, the wine show must go on and we have been working feverishly to develop the industry best (if i do say so myself) summer shipping program. Details to follow.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Winedavid39 wrote:Hah!, Believe me, the wine show must go on and we have been working feverishly to develop the industry best (if i do say so myself) summer shipping program. Details to follow.

you mentioned refrigerated trucks earlier. is that altogether new v. last year? or are your lips sealed (so-to-speak) for now?

do you know... what biodynamics is?

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
clayfu wrote:pre flop last night. AA v. KK. v. QQ.

You've gotta be $%&@ kidding me. No bad beat stories in the w.w forums please. Sheesh.

Scrooby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scrooby
JOATMON wrote:Yes you can. Live in the SF bay area. Overnight shipping, and very little chance of either freezing or cooking.

I'm just sayin'

Can I get an AMEN

W.W:7(22 bottles), W:9, S.W:5

clayfu

Walstib wrote:You've gotta be $%&@ kidding me. No bad beat stories in the w.w forums please. Sheesh.

So i flopped a full house and a guy got quads on the river, that shows me i shouldn't slow play. Geez

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

clayfu wrote:So i flopped a full house and a guy got quads on the river, that shows me i shouldn't slow play. Geez

Best hold 'em poker story I've got is the 3-way, all-in action where the flush lost to the 9-10-J-Q-K straight flush which lost to the 10-J-Q-K-A Royal Flush (10-J-Q-K-# were the community cards, not it that order).

Can't fault any of the guys who went all-in on that one.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

MalcolmPX

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MalcolmPX

LabRabbit Report - 2005 Twisted Oak *%#&@!

This is not an "official" LabRat report as I did not receive a Golden Ticket for this item. I *did* receive a Golden Ticket for a previous February offering (ordered under my already black-boxed primary account), but I wootleg and didn't receive it until April. I do happen to have a bottle of the 2005 *%#&@! on hand, and it seemed appropriate to redeem myself ever so slightly by taking on the LabRole.

Thus, the LabRabbit report. Like Alice's WR, I'm late for this very important date. Unlike WR, I get to make up for it.

Now on to the wine.

Upon opening, the first thing to hit is the leathery scent of Syrah, which asserts itself big time despite playing second fiddle in this blend. It's immediatelty followed by toasted blueberry poptart with some blackberry in the filling.

In the glass (a Riedel Vinum Syrah [RVS] glass, for those who care about sucht things), a rusty, purplish garnet color that turns clear about 2mm from the edge. I can see through the disk at all points. The color does not stick to the glass and after swirling, legs take anywhere from two to ten seconds to roll down three inches of glass.

The shape of the RVS glass means that the nose will be prominent throughout consumption, and the leather hits me square as I take the first sip. Initial attack is kinda hot with a bit of sour cherry. The tannins are very smooth; to the point that I really don't notice them. I prefer my Rhône-/Languedoc-styles with a bit of tannic bite at the end (it should "dry-clean" my mouth), so that's a minus for me. It would probably be a plus for most Rhône neophytes.

I must decant this for a bit, and begin preparing my dinner. More later.

MalcolmPX

Bringing about an all wine.woot black square by any means necessary.--MalcolmPX

Betty Shirazz? Yeah, I think I know her.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
debegone wrote:I just received my second order of Ty Caton in Austin and all my bottles had leaked. The same goes for my first order. My order of Field Blend arrives on Friday, but I don't hold out much hope. I was soooo looking forward to drinking these wines!

I think I'm done ordering wine for the summer.

Just let Service and WD know, and they should take care of you. The Field Blend should be okay, as the truck probably has been moving since Monday, so it hasn't been sitting in a warehouse over the weekend like the other two.

From what I've read, there's a difference with summer shipping methods, and I think WD posted that they are revamping to make them better. I think it costs a little more ($7 instead of $5), but it should be worth it.

WD, I think it sounds like Summer Shipping needs to go into effect .....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
MarkDaSpark wrote:...WD, I think it sounds like Summer Shipping needs to go into effect .....

We're about to have our first days over 90 here in the Delaware Valley.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

labROUS

quality posts: 7 Private Messages labROUS

Okay, I guess I’ve been a well behaved rodent. My double secret probation has been lifted and I’m taking my chances with reviews again. Por eljefetorcido y otros que no saben – labROUS is SonomaBouliste (see sidebar on blog page for “Weary Winemaker” blogs) is a Sonoma Valley winemaker of dubious repute.

LabROUS report

2005 Twisted Oak Grenache

Medium red. Initial aromas of raspberry and strawberry with a gamy note. After swirling it develops very ripe cherry and berry aromas with a bit of raisin, almost Zin-like. There are added notes of cinnamon and a slightly smoky, Syrah-like character. There is a lot of complexity and a mature aspect to the aroma; this doesn’t smell like the straightforward fruit bomb that often typifies young Grenache. There’s a big sweet, full entry, lots of very ripe fruit flavor with good acid balance, and the tannins are moderate. There is some alcohol heat, which comes on mid-palate and intensifies a bit at the finish. Given the complexity and seeming maturity of the aromas, the soft tannins, and the alcohol, I think this wine will probably be most enjoyable over the short term and is probably not a great candidate for extended aging.

2005 Twisted Oak Tempranillo

Medium dark to dark purple-red. Initial aromas are of low to medium toast oak, ripe plum, dill and black olive. With swirling the fruit aromas intensify and are joined by leather, licorice and tobacco while the oak is still quite evident. More aeration brings out more fruit, a toffee-like character and some floral notes. Although I’m not much of one for decanting, if you’re going to drink this one young it will probably be much more interesting if decanted / aerated first.
The entry is sweet and full, there is good weight and viscosity, and that texture is consistent through the mid-palate to the rich finish. The fruit and oak flavors don’t seem fully integrated yet, and there is some drying astringency. There is adequate acid for balance without tartness. This wine seems like it will benefit from aging at least another couple of years.

2005 Twisted Oak *%#&@!

Medium dark purple-red. Initial aromas are stewed fruit, sandalwood, black pepper and oak. With swirling there is plum and cherry, chocolate, orange peel and a “meaty” character. Further aeration yields vanilla, leather, a bit of mint, modeling clay and lots of black pepper. The entry is quite sweet, full and mouthcoating. The middle is full and fruity with a chocolatey aspect, without a lot of apparent acid. There is a bit of unresolved tannin, but the finish lingers for some time. This seems more developed than the Tempranillo but will probably also benefit from cellar age.

These three wines definitely show a kinship. The regional characteristics and winemaking style are consistent. All three are fairly big, quite ripe and a tad rustic – typical of Sierra foothill wines. The style blends elements of new and old world winemaking, big and ripe, yet complex rather than simple and fruity.

clayfu

Corrado wrote:Best hold 'em poker story I've got is the 3-way, all-in action where the flush lost to the 9-10-J-Q-K straight flush which lost to the 10-J-Q-K-A Royal Flush (10-J-Q-K-# were the community cards, not it that order).

Can't fault any of the guys who went all-in on that one.

i wish that was at a casino so they would have got jackpot!
we missed a near jackpot a week ago, open ended straight flush for two guys off the flop