HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:I will be as soon as I get the stock organized and my cellartracker updated - it'll help me organize the thoughts ;)

And you don't get to know what WD sent. So ha Or rather, I'm not sure we're allowed to share... muhahaha...

All the other W.W Tastings shared what was sent. First NY was an unknown woot cellars red. 2nd NY was t-shirts. The Chicago one I went to were fruit spreads or something lie that.
So yes, you can share.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
HitAnyKey42 wrote:All the other W.W Tastings shared what was sent. First NY was an unknown woot cellars red. 2nd NY was t-shirts. The Chicago one I went to were fruit spreads or something lie that.
So yes, you can share.

NoVA/DC #1 didn't share the Gewurtz that we were sent.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

HitAnyKey42

Loweeel wrote:NoVA/DC #1 didn't share the Gewurtz that we were sent.

That's cuz u suk!

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Zoomba77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77

I have to say, the party was a blast. Lots of great wine, and cheron98 put on a fantastic spread. There was more food than we could eat and it was all delicious.

My pick for best wine of the day was the hot ice wine.

When the pics go up, I'm the red-head with glasses ;)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Zoomba77 wrote:I have to say, the party was a blast. Lots of great wine, and cheron98 put on a fantastic spread. There was more food than we could eat and it was all delicious.

*gasp* Would this be MC? You've been so quiet!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:All the other W.W Tastings shared what was sent. First NY was an unknown woot cellars red. 2nd NY was t-shirts. The Chicago one I went to were fruit spreads or something lie that.
So yes, you can share.

WD didn't say we could share... didn't say we *couldn't* either... but I dunno, we kinda got the impression we weren't supposed to say *grin*

Zoomba77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77
cheron98 wrote:*gasp* Would this be MC? You've been so quiet!

I swear to god when I first read this commen it said "EM". Yeah, this is Mike

I'm ashamed to admit it, that while I've been a woot watcher for years, and a registered user for about a year and a half, I had NO idea there were forums behind all of this.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Zoomba77 wrote:I have to say, the party was a blast. Lots of great wine, and cheron98 put on a fantastic spread. There was more food than we could eat and it was all delicious.

I liked the Belgian chocolate ice wine. ^

It was a fantastic tasting and we're getting another wine.wooter out of this. I have a feeling he's going to choose the name viciousduck. We'll see.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

cheron98

superspryte wrote:I liked the Belgian chocolate ice wine. ^

It was a fantastic tasting and we're getting another wine.wooter out of this. I have a feeling he's going to choose the name viciousduck. We'll see.

Muahaha... welcome to the dark side...

cheron98

Wines that were sampled, with general "like it, love it, hate it" comments... as obviously, I'm unsure what everyone thought in specifics Although some of you left your notepads behind...

REDS
2004 Wellington Victory Reserve - Liked it, leaning towards loved it. General thoughts were that it felt unfinished, that perhaps it could spend a little more time in the bottle before we break open another. Drinking window is 2007-2016, so there's the probability this will only get better with age, but was pretty darned good right now.

2004 Reininger Helix Pomatia - Loved it. Felt it was better than the Victory, certainly more of this was drank than the Victory. I personally did not get around to having some, but everyone else seemed to really enjoy it.

2006 Two Hands Angel's Share Shiraz - Liked it, the remainder went home with the bringer. Again, no comment from me, I tried a bit but can't remember... didn't write anything down being too busy hosting. Didn't hear much by way of comments from others on it.

2005 Finca Luzón Jumilla Altos de Luzón - Liked it. No one can pronounce the name. There's still some left in my fridge, which I will probably have with dinner tonight when I get around to it. Again, didn't get to try this one personally, but the general floating comments were that it was yummy.

WHITES
N.V. Chateau Grand Traverse Riesling Sweet Harvest - Loved it. Smooth, delicious, easy to drink. Loved. Not too many tried it, but those who did all went "Wow, that's really good"

2004 Silver Spur Chardonnay Sangiacomo Vineyards - I'm not sure what the feeling was on this one. I don't care so much for chards myself, but there's quite a bit left in the bottle, if that's any indicator to you.

N.V. Chaucer's Raspberry Mead - Liked it, but leaning towards dislike. The smell of this was just terrible. Way too strong - possibly due to drinking window being closed. However, it tasted pretty good - very honey with the taste of raspberry, as expected in a raspberry mead. General consensus was "do not smell this, just drink it".

2006 Mandolina Pinot Grigio - Loved it. I did not taste this myself, however all those at the party who did commented that it was quite good - those who don't typically like pinot grigio loved this one and made note to find some for themselves.

N.V. SakeOne Asian Pear - Didn't like it. here was almost no scent to the sake. The first sip was a little potent and bitter, but afterwards became incredibly smooth - like water. But, it also tasted mostly like water, too, with a hint of pear juice. It didn't present the kick I was expecting from a sake.

SPARKLING
N.V. Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut - Loved it. Infused this champagne into chocolate-dipped strawberries (and had some for myself). Enhanced the flavor of the strawberries tremendously. The smell of this bubbly was sweet, and the flavor was mild and much smoother for a white than I anticipated. Easy to drink. Apparently makes good pineapple mimosas...

N.V. Mumm Napa Cuvée M - Loved it. Mumm is Yumm... General consensus was that this was the superior of the champagnes, although both were delicious.

ICEWINE
2003 Crown Bench Estates Winery Ambrosia Chocolate Ice - Loved it. This was a hit among the ladies. This was created by layering the fermenting wine with Belgian chocolate, which came through very much in the flavor. The aroma of chocolate floods your senses as you breathe in the vapors of this delicious dessert ice wine. As you sip, the flavors of peaches and chocolate cross the palate, sweet and irresistible. A cordial glass seems too small for this flavorful, powerful wine, and yet, with its body and fullness, the cordial may be all you need. This wine's got legs to stand on, coating the glass with a beautiful golden shine. The one word to sum up this one: Flawless!

2003 Crown Bench Estates Winery Hot Ice - Loved it. This was a hit among the men. This one was created by infusing hot peppers into the wine. Golden in color with a slightly reddish hue, the aroma this gives off is deceptive of the taste that is to come. The smell is sweet, and just barely gives off a spice note. As the wine crosses your palate, the sweetness remains, and the flavor sticks true to the scent. However, after a moment, the spice kicks in - not harshly. A pleasant, flavorful spice that ignites the senses. The sommelier comments that he has seen a varying range of reactions to this wine - some taking just a sip and their faces turn red, while others are not affected at all. Not a wine for the faint of heart!

2004 Sawmill Creek Vidal Icewine Bin 88 - Liked it. This was a pretty standard ice wine, the kind you'll find pretty much at any winery that produces ice wines. Your base, if you will. All your base are belong to me.

I think that's all of them. Pictures still to come...

cheron98

cheron98 wrote:2005 Finca Luzón Jumilla Altos de Luzón - Liked it. No one can pronounce the name. There's still some left in my fridge, which I will probably have with dinner tonight when I get around to it. Again, didn't get to try this one personally, but the general floating comments were that it was yummy.

Good lord this is good. Berries, oak...leather? SMOOTH. Holy cow. Why wasn't more of this drank?

More for me!

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
cheron98 wrote:Good lord this is good. Berries, oak...leather? SMOOTH. Holy cow. Why wasn't more of this drank?

More for me!

Too much other wine open, had to taste it all.

The party was great, I look forward to the next one and maybe I'll have a husband who will actually stay more than five minutes if it happens near Labor Day (although I know we have a wedding that weekend...ugh).

Major props and thanks to cheron98 for hosting/cooking/whatevering. It was a blast.

cheron98

PICTURES!

Now available, courtesy of photobucket

Thanks to Louis for taking the pictures and sharing them with me to post for all.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
cheron98 wrote:PICTURES!

Now available, courtesy of photobucket

Thanks to Louis for taking the pictures and sharing them with me to post for all.

Looks like you guys had a great time!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

HitAnyKey42

Seeing the pics I now really think superspryte should have worn the mini skirt, low cut top, and stiletto heels I told her to wear. You sure are one hot lil number.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
cheron98 wrote:WD didn't say we could share... didn't say we *couldn't* either... but I dunno, we kinda got the impression we weren't supposed to say *grin*

Yea, it's cool by me. Just know that these are "wannabe's" and really looking for feedback (in addition to adding, albiet in a small way, to the festivities).

jrbw3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrbw3
cheron98 wrote:Good lord this is good. Berries, oak...leather? SMOOTH. Holy cow. Why wasn't more of this drank?

More for me!

Glad you liked it. As the representative from the old folks home, I'll add my thanks to cheron98 for a shindig well thrown. Great wine, food, conversation and the ubiquitous dancing crab-like robot. Just sorry I couldn't stay longer.

Now too many to list, as I'm too lazy to figure out how to scroll it.
Suffice it to say, my retirement fund suffers, but I enjoy good juice.

HitAnyKey42

winefarm wrote:Yea, it's cool by me. Just know that these are "wannabe's" and really looking for feedback (in addition to adding, albiet in a small way, to the festivities).

Ah, so they got one of the wannabe's. WD, just curious was it the same wannabe that we got at the 1st NYC tasting awhile back or is this a different blend?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Seeing the pics I now really think superspryte should have worn the mini skirt, low cut top, and stiletto heels I told her to wear. You sure are one hot lil number.

HAK, this is why you are single. You don't call someone a hot little number, unless you're Alternate Name for Richard Tracy. (frakking woot filters)

Edit: Spryte is too young to know who Alternate Name for Richard Tracy is. So HAK, you don't call someone a hot little number unless you're the Fonz. No wait, uh, Scott Baio? Damnit no, um..........Quagmire, yes you don't call someone a hot little number unless you're Quagmire.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

HitAnyKey42

bhodilee wrote:HAK, this is why you are single. You don't call someone a hot little number, unless you're Alternate Name for Richard Tracy. (frakking woot filters)

Edit: Spryte is too young to know who Alternate Name for Richard Tracy is. So HAK, you don't call someone a hot little number unless you're the Fonz. No wait, uh, Scott Baio? Damnit no, um..........Quagmire, yes you don't call someone a hot little number unless you're Quagmire.

Well I knew all of those names until you got to Quagmire. I've got no clue on that one.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well I knew all of those names until you got to Quagmire. I've got no clue on that one.

Thats cause we're old. And I cannot believe you don't know who Quagmire is. I demand you begin watching Family Guy on TBS and Cartoon Network

can someone explain what just happened. I hit post and it posted my comment here, but kicked me back into the main thread. See, I like the old way where I hit post and it just happened. We should go back to that.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Ah, so they got one of the wannabe's. WD, just curious was it the same wannabe that we got at the 1st NYC tasting awhile back or is this a different blend?

Actually it wasn't wine. He'd warned me on that when the package shipped, presumably so I knew I didn't have to be there to sign for it (even though I ended up being home when it arrived anyway).

So here's what we got:

3-pack of dipping oils, 3-pack of ... spreads? tapenades... I wasn't planning on getting bread, and then this arrived, so out I went for crusty yummy bread.

I can't remember off-hand what exactly each of the oils were... let's see, there was a garlic parmesan dipping oil, ... i want to say a roasted red pepper dipping oil?... and a third one. I'll get you all the details later tonight when I get home to look at them again.

The spreads... Green olive tapenade, Caponata, and Red Pepper tapenade.

The oils were all equally delicious, although I think peoples' favorite was the garlic parmesan.

The green olive tapenade was too salty, although the general feeling was that it would work extremely well over pasta.

The red pepper tapenade was quite tasty. A touch of spice to it, but really good.

The favorite by far was the caponata, which we decided would work not just on bread, but as a pizza sauce or a pasta sauce - so quite versatile.

General impression was that if/when this goes up for sale either on wine.woot or as a side deal, we'd all buy it. A lot.

So once again, thanks WD for sending it The fact that it said "wannabe" on it was what made us all go "Hm, are we allowed to share..."

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:N.V. SakeOne Asian Pear - Didn't like it. here was almost no scent to the sake. The first sip was a little potent and bitter, but afterwards became incredibly smooth - like water. But, it also tasted mostly like water, too, with a hint of pear juice. It didn't present the kick I was expecting from a sake.

I have to disagree with this. As a saké drinker, I liked it a lot. It was much more mild than most saké you'll find around these parts, since most saké is quite hot. I was surprised not to get any hotness whatsoever.

N.V. Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut - Loved it. Infused this champagne into chocolate-dipped strawberries (and had some for myself). Enhanced the flavor of the strawberries tremendously. The smell of this bubbly was sweet, and the flavor was mild and much smoother for a white than I anticipated. Easy to drink. Apparently makes good pineapple mimosas...

Is that the one that got spilled on the fruit? ^_~

2003 Crown Bench Estates Winery Hot Ice - Loved it. This was a hit among the men. This one was created by infusing hot peppers into the wine. Golden in color with a slightly reddish hue, the aroma this gives off is deceptive of the taste that is to come. The smell is sweet, and just barely gives off a spice note. As the wine crosses your palate, the sweetness remains, and the flavor sticks true to the scent. However, after a moment, the spice kicks in - not harshly. A pleasant, flavorful spice that ignites the senses. The sommelier comments that he has seen a varying range of reactions to this wine - some taking just a sip and their faces turn red, while others are not affected at all. Not a wine for the faint of heart!

If you don't like spicy food don't bother. I didn't like it at all (but I have the timidest palette ever).

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Seeing the pics I now really think superspryte should have worn the mini skirt, low cut top, and stiletto heels I told her to wear. You sure are one hot lil number.

LOL! Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

And now looking at those pictures, I love the two of the photographer (my friend Louis), especially the second one. It seems that when people have had wine and are asked to pose, the mouth comes open, heh.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bhodilee wrote:HAK, this is why you are single. You don't call someone a hot little number, unless you're Alternate Name for Richard Tracy. (frakking woot filters)

I know about Dick Tracy, thankyouverymuch.

cheron98

superspryte wrote:Is that the one that got spilled on the fruit?

I think it was the Mumm that got spilled Those pieces were good, too... I've still got some of that left, I might have to go soak some fruit tonight

superspryte wrote:I have to disagree with this. As a saké drinker, I liked it a lot. It was much more mild than most saké you'll find around these parts, since most saké is quite hot. I was surprised not to get any hotness whatsoever.

I think that's why I didn't care for it. It was so mild that it was just bland.

Fix the darn server errors!!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:Actually it wasn't wine. He'd warned me on that when the package shipped, presumably so I knew I didn't have to be there to sign for it (even though I ended up being home when it arrived anyway).

So here's what we got:

3-pack of dipping oils, 3-pack of ... spreads? tapenades... I wasn't planning on getting bread, and then this arrived, so out I went for crusty yummy bread.

I can't remember off-hand what exactly each of the oils were... let's see, there was a garlic parmesan dipping oil, ... i want to say a roasted red pepper dipping oil?... and a third one. I'll get you all the details later tonight when I get home to look at them again.

The spreads... Green olive tapenade, Caponata, and Red Pepper tapenade.

The oils were all equally delicious, although I think peoples' favorite was the garlic parmesan.

My fave was the Sundried tomatoes dippinng oil. There was a garlic or something and parm, a basil or some other spice like that, and the sundried tomato.

PS - For the grammar meanies like myself, yes that was an Oxford comma. While I typically don't use them it felt necessary. Deal with it. ^_~

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:I think that's why I didn't care for it. It was so mild that it was just bland.

Fix the darn server errors!!

Eh, I prefer smooth saké. And since I'm moving to Japan I might as well be spoiled about it. Maybe if you guys are lucky I'll be able to afford sending a bottle of something Japanese your way for end of summer. Maybe. ^_^

The server errors are largely due to the shirt.woot derby. Yesterday the number of entries hopped up over 1000, while the typical derby has 200-400. It's killing the servers on all the sites. Don't even bother trying to load the derby page if you're not prepared to load for five minutes.

Also, vote for my designs in my sig! The one on the left is in the fog and could use some extra votes to stay there and maybe get printed (and that extra $1000 would help my move to Japan...and maybe the travel of a bottle of saké.)

cheron98

superspryte wrote:Eh, I prefer smooth saké. And since I'm moving to Japan I might as well be spoiled about it. Maybe if you guys are lucky I'll be able to afford sending a bottle of something Japanese your way for end of summer. Maybe. ^_^

To quote the kitties: "NOM NOM NOM"! That'd be awesome

superspryte wrote:The server errors are largely due to the shirt.woot derby.

Grr. Darn that shirt.woot... ;)

superspryte wrote:Also, vote for my designs in my sig! The one on the left is in the fog and could use some extra votes to stay there and maybe get printed (and that extra $1000 would help my move to Japan...and maybe the travel of a bottle of saké.)

Voting!

bhodilee

superspryte wrote:I know about Dick Tracy, thankyouverymuch.

I know you know he is, you're the girl with the robocop corkscrew!! But you also know I have to tease you about your age for reasons I don't remember. Probably because I'm a jackass, that's my usual reason.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
superspryte wrote:superspryte. With a Y. (The other one's a troll.) ^_~

Yeah, I noticed I did that, but, too lazy to fix it. Sounds like you all had a stupendous time. Next time ...

HitAnyKey42

superspryte wrote:
Also, vote for my designs in my sig! The one on the left is in the fog and could use some extra votes to stay there and maybe get printed (and that extra $1000 would help my move to Japan...and maybe the travel of a bottle of saké.)

I had already voted yesterday. But what does "in the fog" mean?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I had already voted yesterday. But what does "in the fog" mean?

Top 4 (or 6?) shirts. You're not allowed to know the actual # of votes for these, because the top 3 shirts end up getting printed, and woot doesn't want people to know what they're going to be before they're actually up for sale. Makes it more "fun" that way. So they say.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bhodilee wrote:I know you know he is, you're the girl with the robocop corkscrew!! But you also know I have to tease you about your age for reasons I don't remember. Probably because I'm a jackass, that's my usual reason.

Yeah, and I definitely almost called it the RoboScrew, llo.

Because he makes me laugh, here he is again:

Age is irrelevant; I like wine, therefore I am cool. ^_~

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I had already voted yesterday. But what does "in the fog" mean?

It's the top 4 shirts (like cheron said). They created the fog because people started trying to create ties so woot would offer two-fers (it's happened 3x in the history of shirt.woot, twice in one derby). Now they post the contenders and 4th place gets to go down in near-miss history, which is where I think my shirt design is right now.

slicknik82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slicknik82

Sad I missed it, but did the weather hold up for you all? It sure was nice up in the North Country other than being cold. Looks like you all had a fabulous time!

Wahoo FACEBOOK!

bhodilee

superspryte wrote:Yeah, and I definitely almost called it the RoboScrew, llo.

Because he makes me laugh, here he is again:

Age is irrelevant; I like wine, therefore I am cool. ^_~

I will not argue this point, anyone with the vision to create the roboscrew is my hero regardless of gender, age or political/religious affiliation.

cheron98

slicknik82 wrote:Sad I missed it, but did the weather hold up for you all? It sure was nice up in the North Country other than being cold. Looks like you all had a fabulous time!

It was a fantastic day. It started pouring just after I finished the grilling, but that only lasted a few minutes. Another downpour came along at some point as well, but otherwise, the weather cooperated. We all fit inside pretty well anyway... better than I thought we would

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:It was a fantastic day. It started pouring just after I finished the grilling, but that only lasted a few minutes. Another downpour came along at some point as well, but otherwise, the weather cooperated. We all fit inside pretty well anyway... better than I thought we would

I came over straight from work and got to drive an hour in white-out downpour. Woo! But it cleared up for the drive home. ^_^

cheron98

superspryte wrote:My fave was the Sundried tomatoes dippinng oil. There was a garlic or something and parm, a basil or some other spice like that, and the sundried tomato.

Holy wow we got it wrong...
Ok, so we got:

Sun-dried tomato dipping oil
Basil Parmesan dipping oil
Roasted Garlic & Rosemary dipping oil

The spreads were right.

For dinner tonight, I reheated the lamb chops with the caponata on it, and stir-fried some veggies using the sun-dried tomato dipping oil. QUITE delicious.